Start by marking “Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath #5)” as Want to Read:
Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath #5)

Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath #5)

Chaos reigned in the Eastern Lands: as the fearsome Alketch army mounted siege, the young Prince Tir was snatched from the heart of Dare's Keep. Behind the terror was the depraved, hook-handed general Vair na-Chandros. He had learned that the royal child possessed forbidden wisdom; a secret the bloodthirsty Vair intended to use to conquer the world.
One man posed a threat t
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published November 28th 1998 by Del Rey (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Icefalcon's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icefalcon's Quest

Libby
Sep 30, 2012 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-fantasy
Readers and serious fans of the Darwath world should remember and be tolerant of this fact. Time has passed, both in the real world of the author's life, and in the world of Darwath. Things won't be the same, people won't be the same, and inevitably, the author's style might have evolved and progressed slightly differently. So might her view of how to approach this beloved world and the people in it.

This is the most recent (possibly last) book set in the world of Darwath, which starts with Barb
Heather
Nov 19, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is at least the 2nd time I've read this book, possibly the 3rd. I enjoyed the whole Darwath series, but Icefalcon's Quest is my favorite by far.

The Icefalcon is such a romantic character - a young man, a loner, exiled by choice from his people as a teenager but still following their ways, aloof and alone but developing a few close friendships and carrying the torch of unrequited love for another Guard. He joins the Guards because he wants to learn to fight like them, and stays because he en
rivka
Jul 09, 2007 rivka rated it did not like it
Shelves: other-spec-fic, avoid
While I generally enjoy Barbara Hambly's books, trying to read this one was like slogging through half-frozen treacle. Sticky, annoying, and impossible to move forward.
Tess
Jul 12, 2017 Tess rated it really liked it
The Icefalcon was one of the more interesting characters from the Darwath books, so it was nice to be able to spend more time with that character and see some things from his perspective.

In this book we meet the Icefalcon's big sister, who is pretty bad-ass, and I wish there had been more of her in the book.

The flow of the pacing was a little weird in some parts of the book, but overall I really enjoyed it.
M.A. Kropp
Feb 01, 2011 M.A. Kropp rated it really liked it
One of the stand alone novels set in the same world as Hambly's Dawarth trilogy, Icefalcon's Quest centers on the Icefalcon, who has been cast out of his barbarian nomad tribe and now lives at the Keep of Dare. He is one of the elite Guard and a trained warrior who still keeps his native code of honor, often at odds with the more civilized society he has chosen to live in.

In this story, a rogue mage infiltrates the Keep and kidnaps young Prince Tir. Tir, as heir to the royal line, has the race m
astaliegurec
Mar 09, 2015 astaliegurec rated it liked it
The Icefalcon is an interesting enigma of a character throughout Barbara Hambly's "Darwath" series. This book, "Icefalcon's Quest," is designed to flesh out and give the background of the Icefalcon. It's definitely a book that needed writing and actually does a pretty good job of giving us that information. But, unfortunately, the story could have been (and should have been) better. I've got three main problems with it. First, for all that it dumps us right into Hambly's signature despair, it ta ...more
Douglas Cook
Jun 28, 2013 Douglas Cook rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
One of the Darwath series. Icefalcon is a guard at the Keep. He needs to rescue the young Lord of the Keep of Dare, who has been kidnapped. Great adventure. Excellent fantasy genre. The Talking Stars People have some 'early Native American' overtones. [Andre Norton used to do that a lot.] Well worth a read.

First paragraphs
CHAPTER ONE
Had the Icefalcon still been living among the Talking Stars People, the penalty for not recognizing the old man he encountered in the clearing by the four elm trees
Seth Giolle
Dec 26, 2013 Seth Giolle rated it it was ok
I found the world and side plot quite well done. The detail and plot are effectively done, but the main plot, Ice Falcon's, is too distracting and oddly presented for any proper, fluid read. I found myself unable to keep any flow going trying to follow the storyline. I'd be at the Keep of Dare following what was happening on their end, and all was good; then, I'd be back with Ice Falcon trying to take his world seriously. It never worked. I couldn't get behind someone who speaks with Smells Like ...more
Kate
May 08, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
There were some good ideas in this book, but both this and Mother of Winter don't have the energy and cohesiveness that the orginal Darwath Trilogy does.

This story is seen fromn the Icefalcon's perspective, and whilst it starts off being interesting, I really miss Ingold, Rudy, Alde and Gil. This milieu is just not the same without their banter and interchanges. Icefalcon is far too humourless.

Also, what is it with Hambly's fascination with demons? There were no demons in the first three books a
Derek
Dec 03, 2013 Derek rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, fantasy

I could really be a fan of Barbara Hambly, if only she would write more in her own worlds instead of writing for the Star Wars franchise.

Still, this rather loses its way. Having started with a war between humanity and some subterranean alien presence in The Time of the Dark, and ended the war in <span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre; "> </span>The Armies of Daylight , Hambly seems to have rather lost her way — or perhaps to just be writing in the vein of her Star W

Horus
Sep 11, 2016 Horus rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Again, another well written novel in the Darwath series, focussing almost entirely on what was previously a secondary character. I could see the interest in him from the previous books, so I didn't mind the change of perspective. I was minorly perturbed by what seemed to be, to me, some contradictions in his behaviour that smacked of not quite having his personality thoroughly meshed out before writing, but it didn't, overall, detract from the enjoyment of the story.
Mary
Dec 26, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Final book in the Darwath series...not as well written and structured as the others in the series but worth reading... Fills in the story of the Icefalcon and how he came to leave his people to live in Dare Keep.....basic story has young Tir kidnapped w only Icefalcon able to follow... Parts of story are a bit contrived.....almost as if the author didn't quite finish fleshing it out but wanted to finish it so used the artifice of spirit walking to reach the conclusion...
Karolina Chmiel
Oct 01, 2012 Karolina Chmiel rated it liked it
I liked this one better than "Mother of Winter" but less than the original trilogy. I'm glad it wasnt as dark as "Mother of Winter" because there's only so much bad stuff that can happen to one group of people before I say enough!
I liked the focus on Icefalcon since he was such a mysterious character in all the other books. But this book is probably something I won't be rereading.
Grouchung
May 14, 2014 Grouchung rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I wanted to like this more than I did, but I think the pacing and plot just fell a bit flat. Definitely not as good as the books form the Darwath trilogy, but I loved Icefalcon so much the prospect of a whole book with him was too much to resist. Good read if you really love the character, but you still might have to speed read through some boring parts.
Donald
This was a guilty pleasure read all the way. Takes me back to the junior high days when I first read Hambly's Darwath trilogy. For me her fantasy stuff never stood up to her January detective novels and this one isn't any different. Interesting, but not something I'll likely pick up again.
Jaime
Dec 18, 2010 Jaime rated it it was amazing
This addition to the Darwath Trilogy is just as good as the origianl three.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing
Another rich exploration of Darwath, I like that world
Cryselle
Sep 05, 2009 Cryselle rated it really liked it
There is a bit of philosophy in here that has served me well: There are those who lead, those who follow, and those who walk by themselves.
Gregory
Jan 14, 2017 Gregory rated it liked it
An unfortunately mediocre addition to the books of the Dark.
Clint Hollingsworth
The 4th book in my favorite fantasy novel series. I would like to go live with these characters. Hambly brings them alive in so many ways.
Edwin Downward
Aug 27, 2012 Edwin Downward rated it it was amazing
A great follow up to the excellent Darwath Trilogy, and a wonderful reminder that our stories are never really done, there's always something more that can be said if we look for it.
Paul Stevenson
Final Darwath book

Not the best of Darwath books, but still quite fun. Hambly will always be one of my favourite authors. Cheers.
Jenniffer
Aug 01, 2011 Jenniffer rated it liked it
Not one of her better books. Just couldn't get into it like her other ones.
colleen
Dec 14, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
read 04.16.98
Cara
Jul 27, 2011 Cara rated it did not like it
I'm not sure why I thought I was going to like this book, but it did nothing for me.
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2012
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2011
Rose
Rose rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Blackedder
Blackedder rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Andrew Gorman
Andrew Gorman rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
  • When The King Comes Home (A College of Magics)
  • The Bastard Prince (Heirs of Saint Camber, #3)
  • Warlock of the Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #4)
  • Beyond the Hanging Wall
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • The Last Book of Swords: Shieldbreaker's Story (Lost Swords, #8)
  • The Master (Time Master, #3)
  • Flashing Swords! #4: Barbarians and Black Magicians
  • The Hound and the Falcon (The Hound and the Falcon, #1-3)
  • Faery in Shadow
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
  • Dralin (Dralin #1)
  • Requiem (The Eternal Gateway, #1)
  • Blood Duty
  • The Wizard of Time Trilogy (Wizard of Time, #1-3)
  • Upland Outlaws (A Handful of Men, #2)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Darwath (5 books)
  • The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1)
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)
  • Mother of Winter (Darwath #4)