Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath #5)

Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath #5)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  543 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Chaos reigned in the Eastern Lands: as the fearsome Alketch army mounted siege, the young Prince Tir was snatched from the heart of Dare's Keep. Behind the terror was the depraved, hook-handed general Vair na-Chandros. He had learned that the royal child possessed forbidden wisdom; a secret the bloodthirsty Vair intended to use to conquer the world.
One man posed a threat t...more
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published November 28th 1998 by Del Rey (first published 1995)

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. HowardThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieElric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock
Sword and Sorcery
401st out of 467 books — 191 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline CareySon of the Shadows by Juliet MarillierDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierThe Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin
Traditional Fantasy Written by Women
82nd out of 158 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

rivka
While I generally enjoy Barbara Hambly's books, trying to read this one was like slogging through half-frozen treacle. Sticky, annoying, and impossible to move forward.
Seth Giolle
I found the world and side plot quite well done. The detail and plot are effectively done, but the main plot, Ice Falcon's, is too distracting and oddly presented for any proper, fluid read. I found myself unable to keep any flow going trying to follow the storyline. I'd be at the Keep of Dare following what was happening on their end, and all was good; then, I'd be back with Ice Falcon trying to take his world seriously. It never worked. I couldn't get behind someone who speaks with Smells Like...more
M.A. Kropp
One of the stand alone novels set in the same world as Hambly's Dawarth trilogy, Icefalcon's Quest centers on the Icefalcon, who has been cast out of his barbarian nomad tribe and now lives at the Keep of Dare. He is one of the elite Guard and a trained warrior who still keeps his native code of honor, often at odds with the more civilized society he has chosen to live in.

In this story, a rogue mage infiltrates the Keep and kidnaps young Prince Tir. Tir, as heir to the royal line, has the race m...more
Douglas Cook
One of the Darwath series. Icefalcon is a guard at the Keep. He needs to rescue the young Lord of the Keep of Dare, who has been kidnapped. Great adventure. Excellent fantasy genre. The Talking Stars People have some 'early Native American' overtones. [Andre Norton used to do that a lot.] Well worth a read.

First paragraphs
CHAPTER ONE
Had the Icefalcon still been living among the Talking Stars People, the penalty for not recognizing the old man he encountered in the clearing by the four elm trees...more
Rebel
Readers and serious fans of the Darwath world should remember and be tolerant of this fact. Time has passed, both in the real world of the author's life, and in the world of Darwath. Things won't be the same, people won't be the same, and inevitably, the author's style might have evolved and progressed slightly differently. So might her view of how to approach this beloved world and the people in it.

This is the most recent (possibly last) book set in the world of Darwath, which starts with Barb...more
Grouchung
I wanted to like this more than I did, but I think the pacing and plot just fell a bit flat. Definitely not as good as the books form the Darwath trilogy, but I loved Icefalcon so much the prospect of a whole book with him was too much to resist. Good read if you really love the character, but you still might have to speed read through some boring parts.
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)

I could really be a fan of Barbara Hambly, if only she would write more in her own worlds instead of writing for the Star Wars franchise.

Still, this rather loses its way. Having started with a war between humanity and some subterranean alien presence in The Time of the Dark, and ended the war in <span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre; "> </span>The Armies of Daylight , Hambly seems to have rather lost her way — or perhaps to just be writing in the vein of her Star Wa

Kate
There were some good ideas in this book, but both this and Mother of Winter don't have the energy and cohesiveness that the orginal Darwath Trilogy does.

This story is seen fromn the Icefalcon's perspective, and whilst it starts off being interesting, I really miss Ingold, Rudy, Alde and Gil. This milieu is just not the same without their banter and interchanges. Icefalcon is far too humourless.

Also, what is it with Hambly's fascination with demons? There were no demons in the first three books a...more
Mary
Final book in the Darwath series...not as well written and structured as the others in the series but worth reading... Fills in the story of the Icefalcon and how he came to leave his people to live in Dare Keep.....basic story has young Tir kidnapped w only Icefalcon able to follow... Parts of story are a bit contrived.....almost as if the author didn't quite finish fleshing it out but wanted to finish it so used the artifice of spirit walking to reach the conclusion...
Karolina Chmiel
I liked this one better than "Mother of Winter" but less than the original trilogy. I'm glad it wasnt as dark as "Mother of Winter" because there's only so much bad stuff that can happen to one group of people before I say enough!
I liked the focus on Icefalcon since he was such a mysterious character in all the other books. But this book is probably something I won't be rereading.
Donald
This was a guilty pleasure read all the way. Takes me back to the junior high days when I first read Hambly's Darwath trilogy. For me her fantasy stuff never stood up to her January detective novels and this one isn't any different. Interesting, but not something I'll likely pick up again.
Edwin Downward
A great follow up to the excellent Darwath Trilogy, and a wonderful reminder that our stories are never really done, there's always something more that can be said if we look for it.
Cryselle
There is a bit of philosophy in here that has served me well: There are those who lead, those who follow, and those who walk by themselves.
Cara
I'm not sure why I thought I was going to like this book, but it did nothing for me.
Jaime
This addition to the Darwath Trilogy is just as good as the origianl three.
Jenniffer
Not one of her better books. Just couldn't get into it like her other ones.
Kelly
A flashback ridden book. Annoying to read. Never finished it.
Helen
Another rich exploration of Darwath, I like that world
colleen
read 04.16.98
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Carmelero
Carmelero marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mayer
Mayer marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
  • King Kelson's Bride
  • When The King Comes Home (A College of Magics)
  • Beyond the Hanging Wall
  • The Last Book of Swords: Shieldbreaker's Story (Lost Swords, #8)
  • Roger Zelazny's to Rule in Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #3)
  • The Hound and the Falcon
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
  • The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)
  • The Watchers Out of Time
  • Shadows Fall
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone...more
More about Barbara Hambly...
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)