Start by marking “Sweet September (Home to Heather Creek #2)” as Want to Read:
Sweet September (Home to Heather Creek #2)

Sweet September (Home to Heather Creek #2)

Harvest at Heather Creek Farm is an exciting time, but the children don't seem to be getting into the spirit. Charolette sets out to uncover the truth. The family learns about the love that binds them together.
Published September 1st 2013 by GuidepostsBooks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet September, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet September

Melina
Sep 27, 2013 Melina rated it it was amazing
I also enjoyed this book, the next in the Home to Heather Creek Series. Even though a different author wrote this book, it still went well with the first book. It continues the story and struggle of Charlotte and her grandkids trying to adjust to life. All three children are still struggling to adjust to farm life and life in a rural area. The author portrayed that struggle very well. I look forward to reading more about this charming family in upcoming releases in this series.

I received a compl
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Now that school has picked up again for Sam, Emily and Christopher, some things are changing more than just grade levels and teachers for the Slater children. It's been a rough time not only coming to terms with the death of their mother, but relocating from busy San Diego, to a country farm in Nebraska along Heather Creek to live with their grandparents Charlotte and Bob.

For Sam, he doesn't see the sense in trying to memorize geometry facts along with history names and dates. What's worse is t
Wanda
Sep 08, 2013 Wanda rated it really liked it
Favorite Excerpt:

Bob hunkered down and scooped up a handful of soil, allowing it to filter through his fingers. He stared intently at the dirt as if reading a story in each speck.

"One day, my grandma, your great-great-grandma, heard a knock at the door," he began. "It was a man whose car had broken down. The man had a woman and a baby with him—all were painfully thin. The man didn't ask for much. In fact, he only asked for one thing."

"What was that?" Christopher asked. "A job. A place to live?"

"
Victor Gentile
Sep 26, 2013 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Bauer in her new book “Sweet September” Book Two in the Home To Heather Creek series published by Guideposts takes us into the life of Charlotte Stevenson.

From the back cover: As tenuous family bonds threaten to break apart, a mystery on the farm might be the one thing that can restore the Stevensons’ hope for the harvest.

Harvest at Heather Creek Farm is an exciting time, the earth bursts with life, providing sustenance for the coming winter. However, the Slater children don’t seem to b
Lisa Johnson
Sep 25, 2013 Lisa Johnson rated it really liked it
Title: Sweet September (Home to Heather Creek Series #2)
Author: Kathleen Bauer
Pages: 356
Year: 2013
Publisher: Guideposts Books
Here is the sequel to Before the Dawn where readers were first introduced to a unique family and changes happening all the time on the farm. As the characters from book one continue on here, readers will begin to appreciate even more the reality of life as portrayed in the work of fiction. In a time when being grandparents and enjoying their retiring years is looked forwar
Lisa Marie
Sep 23, 2013 Lisa Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
From Guideposts comes a series of books that brings its readers into the middle of a hurting family as they learn to live together. We're introduced to Charlotte and Bob, whose basically empty nester life is shaken up when they become the primary caregivers to three grandchildren that they have never really known after the death of their daughter, Denise.

In the first of the books, Before The Dawn, Sam (16), Emily (14), and Christopher (9), arrive at their grandparents' Nebraska farm - a hige ch
Michele
Sep 25, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed book that are in a series. The Home to Heather Creek Series is no exception! I truly enjoyed this these two books! The story starts out with a tragic event. Sam, Emily and Christopher loose their mother in a motor vehicle accident. They are taken from their home in San Diego into the heart of Nebraska to live on a farm with their grandparents with whom they barely know, Charlotte and Bob and their Uncle Pete their mother Denise’s brother who lives on the farm with his parents ...more
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
What can be more traumatic for a child than losing mother to a senseless accident? They have no other choice than to move in with their grandparent on a farm out in the middle of nowhere land. For city kids, in their opinion, this is not a good move. Since they have an absentee father what else could they do. They do not really even know their grandparents since their mother had been estranged from her parents except for an occasional phone call. Two moody and pouting teens, the oldest a man/boy ...more
Faith
Sep 21, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet September picks up right where Before the Dawn left off, except a few months down the road and nearing harvest time now. You know, I think harvest itself is the best metaphor for this book. Each year, you break ground again, you plant again, you tend again. You wait again, things grow again.
Relationships are like that. How many times do we say "There! Done! I've planted seeds of praise and affirmation, I've broken through that stoney ground of distrust. I've watered with tenderness and not
Faith
Sep 13, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing
Deborah
Oct 05, 2013 Deborah rated it it was amazing
As tenuous family bonds threaten to break apart, a mystery on the farm might be the one thing that can restore the Stevensons' hope for the harvest.

Harvest at Heather Creek Farm is an exciting time, but the children don't seem to be getting into the spirit. Emily is struggling with farm life, Christopher spends most of his time alone, and Sam is failing school. Charlotte is determined not to make the same mistakes she did with her own kids, but how can she get her grandchildren back on track?

Mea
Karen Korb
Oct 04, 2013 Karen Korb rated it it was amazing
About The Book: Harvest time at Heather Creek Farm is an exciting time, but the kids don’t seem to be getting into the spirit. One day while he’s wandering through the fields, Christopher stumbles across an old piece of metal buried in the ground. He doesn’t know what it is, but he hides it in the shed. That night, the garden by the house is uprooted. Who could have done such a thing? Charlotte is determined to find out, but is distracted when she gets news that Sam is failing school. The sullen ...more
Kristin
Sep 26, 2013 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Sweet September picks up during harvest time.

Tension runs high as Bob and Charlotte learn to give over some of the control of the farm to their older son, Pete.

It doesn’t make it any easier that they’re still struggling to make a new life with their three grandchildren that came to live with them following the death of their mother.

Life for Emily, Sam and Christopher is also still in turmoil as they learn to fit in with new peers, a new school and also as they learn their place on their grand
Kathleen E.
Oct 05, 2013 Kathleen E. rated it really liked it
Saturday, October 5, 2013
Home to Heather Creek Series, Book 2 Sweet September ~* Kathleen Bauer, 2013

I am glad I received both books at once! Kathleen Bauer is the pen name of several authors who will be writing this series. The continuance and adjustments flow so smoothly between authors. In book two, Sweet September, school is beginning and Sam, Emily, and Christopher risk reaching out and become part of their school and church activities. At home they have begun to feel a part too, as they be
Kathleen
Oct 05, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
In the second book of the Home To Heather Creek series, Sweet September, the Stevenson family drama continues at their farm in Nebraska during the fall harvest. Sam, Emily, and Christopher have settled into their new lives at the farm, and the building of the family bond with their grandparents Charlotte and Bob are starting to gel as life continues on the farm. But a mystery abounds at the farm when the family discovers that someone or something has been stealing the vegetables from their ...more
Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill
See full review @ The Indigo Quill: http://theindigoquill.blogspot.com/20...

What a sweet little series! First, I think it's interesting to see this new trend of authors collaborating to create books together. Especially in this case, where they've created a single pen name for themselves. It's a great way to connect and work as a community, I'm sure.

Anyway, through the Heather Creek Series we travel through the grueling task of grieving and change. Charlotte is taking custody of her grandchildre
Lindsey Silvestrini
Oct 04, 2013 Lindsey Silvestrini rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in the Home to Heather Creek series Before the Dawn so I was excited to be able to pick right up with Sweet September after finishing.

I always like getting into the second book in a series because I already know the characters and the backstory and feel like now I can really get to the heart of things! What’s different about this series from most is that it has the same main characters. It seems like usually series have different starring characters in the second
Create With Joy
Oct 04, 2013 Create With Joy rated it really liked it
A few months ago, I had the pleasure of reviewing the Postcards From Misty Harbor Inn Series – a unique series of books from the Books and Inspirational Media Division of Guideposts that was written by a collaboration of best-selling authors to inspire you in your faith and to celebrate God’s love in every aspect of your life.

Now, I’m excited to share that Guideposts has released another heartwarming series – the Home To Heather Creek Series – featuring a different group of best-selling authors
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Oct 11, 2013 Ibjoy1953 Hannabass rated it it was amazing
Sweet September… This book continues the Stevenson’s story, with their grandchildren living with them after their mom’s death. The kids continue to struggle getting use to live on a farm, compared with life in the big city, with their new school, and just all of the surroundings. Charlotte struggles even more to try and reach out to her grandchildren. It finally took an interesting mystery to peak interest for the entire family, bringing them together in ways they didn’t expect. And again, it ...more
Maureen Timerman
Oct 01, 2013 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I loved the second book in this series. Charlotte and Ben Stevenson are adjusting to having their Golden Years now filled with children again. Big change in all of their lives.
School has now begun again and the children, Sam, Emily and Christopher are beginning to fit it, although with some problems. They miss their Mom, and don't want to forget her. Love the faith based life God has placed them in. When they think things are going bad, or they are in trouble, I see Grace being show to these swe
Jalynn Patterson
Sep 24, 2013 Jalynn Patterson rated it it was amazing
My Review:
Harvest at Heather Creek Farm is an exciting time, but the children don't seem to be getting into the spirit. Charlotte sets out to uncover the truth. The family learns about the love that binds them together.
Sweet September:

With Harvest season knocking on their front door, Charlotte tries to get her grandchildren in the mood for working in the garden. Who ever said that would be easy? Because it's not, Sam wants to run around after his Uncle and see what he's doing, even though he k
Tiffany
Feb 08, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: given-to-review
The Home to Heather Creek Series is such a delightful read. I was swept away to the farm and all the trials and joys that came from it. Both books were so well written that I felt like I was right there. I have wanted to live on a farm for a long time and I loved being swept away in to the setting. Not only was the setting enjoyable but the lessons learned and watching the Lord worked was such refreshment to the soul. The lesson of learning to let others help you was especially timely for me as ...more
Elaine
Oct 30, 2010 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, guideposts
Book #2 in Guideposts "Home to Heather Creek" series.

A female friend of Pete from the past is back in town. Christopher finds a treasure and Grandma knows he's up to something though she knows not what. Charlotte's grandchildren are missing the mountains, the ocean, and malls. Their words hurt.

Such touching moments in this series. Listening instead of lecturing. That brought a whole new outcome to a painful situation.

Taking time out of an extremely busy life to take a walk and in so doing, com
Sharon Chance
Oct 06, 2013 Sharon Chance rated it it was amazing
"Home To Heather Creek" promises to be a wonderful series, centering around family values and morals - something that is so needed today. Readers, both young and old, will enjoy the two first books in this series. In fact, they would make great book club selections for multi-generational groups as there is a little something for every age represented here.

I enjoyed the first two books very much and look forward to more stories about the Stevenson family to come.
Lucy
Nov 04, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it
I won this book from Goodreads, and even though I hadn't read book 1 in the series, I found it easy to follow and very much enjoyed it. I smiled at some of the scenes and was brought to tears at others. We all have struggles and if we trust God, as this family does, we will get through them. I would recommend this as an enjoyable book. So thankful I won.
Sherry
Nov 02, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it
I won this book from goodreads. I truly enjoyed reading this story. It gives great insight into the difference of life in the city and life in the country can differ. I think if we could try to live a more self reliant lifestyle we could all be happier. I would recommend this story to anyone trying to raise children in our hectic world.
Debbie
Sep 22, 2014 Debbie rated it liked it
Charlotte and Bob Stevenson are raising their grandchildren on the family farm after a tragic accident involving their mother changes their lives forever. With the help of some close friends and their church, they do whatever they can to make the children feel welcomed, loved and accepted in their new lives in Heather Creek, Nebraska.
Joan
Oct 08, 2013 Joan rated it liked it
This is the second in a series and I just felt the story dragged a little. There were not amazing plot twists or suspenseful action. The kids are getting situated at school and the farm garden is getting torn up. Otherwise there is not too much going on. See my full review at http://bit.ly/19y4xRi.
Claudia Fisher
Nov 24, 2013 Claudia Fisher rated it liked it
This was a Good Reads First Read book. It was a fast easy read. Not a lot of substance but a good message.
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

The Stevensons are learning how to get along. 3 generations in one house. Each of them teaching and learning from the other. Can't wait to read book 3!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sunflower Summer (Postcards from Misty Harbor Inn #2)
  • The Journey of Josephine Cain (American Tapestries)
  • The Courier of Caswell Hall (American Tapestries)
  • Beautiful Battlefields
  • Eventide (The Days of Redemption #3)
  • The Promise Box (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors #2)
  • A Big Year for Lily (The Adventures of Lily Lapp, #3)
  • Katie Opens Her Heart (Emma Raber's Daughter, #1)
  • The Cat That God Sent
  • A Sky Without Stars
  • The Letters (Inn at Eagle Hill #1)
  • Rival Hearts (Quilts of Love, #19)
  • A Road Unknown (Amish Roads, #1)
  • Love Stays True (The Homeward Journey #1)
  • The Gospel Centered Woman: Understanding Biblical Womanhood through the Lens of the Gospel
  • A Marriage in Middlebury
  • A Miracle of Hope (The Amish Wonders, #1)
  • Pennsylvania Patchwork (Legacy of Lancaster #2)

Kathleen Bauer is the pen name for a team of writers who have come together to create the Home to Heather Creek series.
More about Kathleen Bauer...

Home to Heather Creek (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Before the Dawn (Home to Heather Creek #1)
  • Circle of Grace (Home to Heather Creek #3)
  • Homespun Harvest (Home to Heather Creek #4)
  • A Patchwork Christmas (Home to Heather Creek #5)
  • An Abundance of Blessings (Home to Heather Creek #6)
  • Every Sunrise (Home to Heather Creek #7)
  • The Promise of Spring (Home to Heather Creek, #8)
  • April's Hope (Home to Heather Creek, #9)
  • Seeds of Faith (Home to Heather Creek #10)
  • On The Right Path (Home to Heather Creek, #11)