The Death of Cinema: History, Cultural Memory and the Digital Dark Age

The Death of Cinema: History, Cultural Memory and the Digital Dark Age

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  1 review
In an essay designed as a collection of aphorisms and letters, the author brings scrutiny to bear on a range of issues with a critique of film preservation, an indictiment of the crimes perpetuated in its name, and a proposal to give a new analytical framework to a cultural phenomenon.
Published June 26th 2001 by British Film Institute

Brandon
Nov 30, 2008 Brandon rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: film collectors and preservationists
Recommended to Brandon by: author's reputation
On one hand, it is concerned with the reality of film preservation, but on the other it is an academic work of philosophy. I didn't always understand everything, but there were pretty pictures on the left-hand pages to keep me entertained.

"The fact that the unseen is beyond our control is an excellent antidote to our claim of authority over the visible world, and administers a good shaking up to our deluded obsession with permanence. Sooner or later you and I will both disappear, along with our...more
Rabab Fahmy
Rabab Fahmy marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Ana Drašček
Ana Drašček is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2013
Werlen
Werlen marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Dieguin
Dieguin marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2012
Andrew Bourne
Andrew Bourne marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2012
Ria Krause
Ria Krause marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2011
Beth Ann
Beth Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2008
Film Curatorship: Museums, Curatorship and the Moving Image Burning Passions: An Introduction To The Study Of Silent Cinema La Muerte del Cine The Griffith Project: v. 1: Films Produced 1907-1908 The Griffith Project: v. 2: Films Produced January - June, 1909