Start by marking “The Secret (The Fear Street Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secret (The Fear Street Saga, #2)

The Secret (The Fear Street Saga Trilogy #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  4,024 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
In this terrifying new trilogy, R.L. Stine takes readers back in time, telling them finally the awful truth of what happened to the cursed Fear family . . . and why their evil lives on. Simon Fier meets an old gypsy who tells him his family will all die in a terrible fire. Terrified, he changes the family name to Fear, but he can't escape the curse.
Published September 1st 1993 by Simon Pulse (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret

Drucilla
Feb 02, 2012 Drucilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fear-street
I didn't have any serious problems with this book. I liked the way the feud is handled as it's passed down from generation to generation. In the beginning section of the book, the idea behind the curse seems to be more of a self-fulfilling curse, which would be a great layer to add. But then it seems to be that the Goode family can only find the Fiers if they are in possession of the necklace. I hope this becomes a little more clear in the last volume. (view spoiler) ...more
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
More bodies for Stine!

He also has this thing for wanting to shove young characters together in marriage after, like, five days of knowing each other. I don’t know if he was trying to make it period-specific or if he was just fueling the plot (and it was part of the plot, you know, the only way to end the curse was to have a Goode and a Fier marry, duh) but there was a lot of WE MUST MARRY going on here.

And more bodies. Young bodies, too. Age is not a discriminating factor for Stine. Neither is g
Manda
Nomadic SA Chick's Book Reviews

Review
I loved this series as a teenager. I probably read the trilogy a hundred times in my teens. I don't know what it was about these books, but I was hooked. Reading them 10 years later as an adult I gave myself a migraine from all the eye rolling I did. I couldn't believe all the cheesy romance lines and easy swooning these ladies did. I mean good lord, a man said hi to these ladies and they wet their knickers with the excitement of wedding planning. It's laug
Yuthika
Jan 26, 2015 Yuthika rated it it was ok
Ah the nostalgia! Reading R L Stine again brought back memories. While it was refreshing finding out where the 'fear' in Fear Street all started, the narrative style did not enchant me, to say the least.
Alyson
Oct 10, 2015 Alyson rated it liked it
Not as good as I remember. More like a bunch of short stories that would have been more interesting if they'd been fleshed out.
Tori
Apr 11, 2013 Tori rated it really liked it
The weakest of the trilogy...but it's no bore! Worth a read if you're reading the trilogy or if you love Stine.
Lauren
Nov 24, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: for-blog
Forty-five years have passed since Benjamin Fier had an innocent girl and her mother burned at the stake. Forty-five years have passed since Matthew Fier robbed the girl’s father of everything he had with false promises. Forty-five years have passed since a curse was cast from betrayal and a mourning father’s grief. Following his great uncle’s notes Ezra Fier seeks the last of the Goodes to have revenge for his family’s downfall. Another link in the chain of vengeance is forged.

The Secret is R.
Irham Nurrahman
Jun 13, 2017 Irham Nurrahman rated it really liked it
Tragis,kisahnya mungkin lebih seram dari saga pertama
kisahnya sangat menarik,disini akan dibagi tiga bagian,dimana yg bagian pertama
sedikit mengingatkan saya akan buku goosebumps selamat datang di rumah mati.
thriller,horror,drama dan misteri ada disini
Sean Kerr
Dec 18, 2016 Sean Kerr rated it really liked it
Re-reading these books is really just a fun trip down memory lane for me. I did love these very much growing up. It is for young teenagers, so the storylines move along rather quickly which makes for a nice quick read.
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

I continued on with my favorite Fear Street trilogy in between other books this week. It was a nice break to relive the saga of the Fier/Fear legacy. Picking up with Ezra Fier’s son, Jonathan, we find the remaining Fier’s traveling from village to village in order to find the Goode family.

In the first part, they return to the small village of Wickham, where the horror first began. But they find the village in ruins and the last of the villagers r
Lindsay Heller
May 28, 2012 Lindsay Heller rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, ya, reread
I figured it was only appropriate to continue my sojourn into my adolescence and continue this trilogy to it's completion. 'The Secret' is the second installment in the Fear Street Saga, the explanation into all the evil that occurs on that particular street in Shadyside in R.L. Stine's book series Fear Street. There's really not a lot to say about this that I didn't say about the first book, 'The Betrayal' so I wont go into it. But, when I was younger there were two factions; Christopher Pike f ...more
Shannon
Oct 20, 2016 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016
The pacing for this was extremely slow. I wasn’t as interested in Ezra’s story as I thought I would be. There were long stretches of time where not much happened and when something did it wasn’t creepy at all. The part of the book that took place after the 100 year time jump was more interesting. I couldn’t help but feel like (view spoiler) ...more
Jan
3 1/2 stars. This second book carries on the story of the Fiers and the Goodes, and their evil family feud. Sometimes the Fiers are hunting down the Goodes, sometime the other way around. And each time the wrath of one family ignites the other. That is until Jonathan Fier decides to end the curse by burying the family's cursed amulet with the ashes of his father. And a period of peace ensues until several generations later when an unwitting member of the family unearths the amulet. And so the ev ...more
Adan Ramie
Mar 15, 2016 Adan Ramie rated it really liked it
If you’ve ever read R.L. Stine, you’ve probably heard of Fear Street. In the over 80 Fear Street books, R.L. Stine killed off teenagers left and right. There were mysteries, paranormal stories, and tales that were strictly horror, but they all had that same fast-paced Stine vibe.

The Fear Street Saga is a little slower, as it takes place back in the Colonial Days of superstitions, curses, and witches, but the tension was just as brittle and taut as I remembered from being a young kid. True, I had
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†

I am no longer Simon Fier.
Now and forever I will be known as Simon FEAR

This book probably made me look like my eyes were going to bug out of my head I was so into it. I couldn't help it. It sucked me in and once I got into it, I couldn't stop reading. I'm loving how she is writing out this whole story and she goes into just enough detail without drowning you with it. Haha

5 amazing stars!

T
Apr 17, 2014 T rated it it was amazing
Over 17 years later and I still remember how awesome this saga (series) was. He very exquisitely captured the essence of the days of 'olde' and I felt like I was being transported in time. Obviously some of the details of the story have slipped away with time, but the emotions and feelings that Stein’s tales elicited have steadfastly remained throughout the years and I struggle to recall another novel that has so markedly “transported me through and to another time!” Of course there’s the possib ...more
Mario Rocchetta
May 23, 2014 Mario Rocchetta rated it really liked it
"The Secret," Part 2 of the Fear Street Saga, definitely had its bright moments as it built upon the excitement from "The Betrayal." I gave this second installment one star less than the first book simply because I didn't feel it delivered at a consistently high pace the way its prequel did. "The Secret" definitely does its job at further explaining the origin of the Fier family, and this book is important to read because it finally explains how the "Fear" name came to be. Let's hope Part 3 will ...more
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 Sakura Koneko rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the supernatural
This book continues the intriguing story of how Fear Street became cursed the way it is. Having read and (surprisingly) enjoyed the first book in this series, I decided to check this one out as well.

I began to feel very sorry for the people on both sides of the curse in these books, the Fiers and the Goodes, as so many horrible things happened to them.
Jan 24, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I used to be a big R.L. Stine fan and loved the Fear Street series when I was younger. It's been a while reading this book but I remember how twisted the Fear/Fier's family past was and how eerily it all comes back to haunt them. R.L. Stine is a very entertaining storyteller and the series would be perfect for young teenagers who appreciate thrillers.
Connie
I love RL Stine, like really really love him and his writing. The Goosebumps books were my first completed book collection as a child and as I got older I wanted to read everything of his. This book was brilliant, it was so interesting, even though it was set in the past and I even got scared reading it at night. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!
Claire (not Danvers)
We finally know how Fier turned into Fear.
description
I'm just speechless...
Lashay Op
Mar 17, 2009 Lashay Op rated it it was amazing
this book if for more of the matture R.L. stine readers. well at least to me it is. this one gets deep into a faimly feud that has lasted for years. well one day something happens. a horrible thing . i would hate to be that persons shoes. i like love this book verry suspensful.
Brianna
Feb 10, 2009 Brianna rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was a good teen thriller. But i made a mistake and read part 2 before part 1. ALWAYS READ BOOKS IN ORDER OR ELSE YOU WILL BE CONFUSED!!! But if you're a fan of R.L. Stine's work then you'll enjoy this book.
Harrison
Nov 30, 2016 Harrison rated it liked it
I found this to be a stupid, campy soap opera. I recommend it if you want to get a good brisk read about this kind of subject matter.

BTW, I rolled my eyes at the last sentence of the main story.
Seth Courrégé
Aug 05, 2011 Seth Courrégé rated it really liked it
This was my least favorite book in the Fear Street Saga, if I remember correctly (I may not, it's been a while), but all three of these books were pretty good. I'd suggest them for any pre-teens or early teens.
Tuyet Bui
Feb 14, 2014 Tuyet Bui rated it really liked it
The secret is safe with me! I promise will not to spill the good part out but I would like to talk about the book a little. The love birds finally found the key to break the curse but is it worth it? Death is not an answer, is it? You'll have to see the book because the secret is safe with me. (;
Ria
Jan 29, 2011 Ria rated it it was amazing
Di buku ini Nore menceritakan sebuah rahasia lama antara keluarga Fear dan keluarga Goode. Ckckckc ada ya kutukan keluarga sampai beratus-ratus tahun. Dibuku ini aku jadi tau ternyata nama keluarga Fear tadinya bukan Fear tapi Fier. Namun sama Simon diganti menjadi Fear.
Caidyn (BW Book Reviews)
Another fun, creepy, and predictable book. Stine really knows how to deliver with those things. Reading it late at night just makes me remember my shock whenever the next thing happened or when something was revealed. Now, to me, it's all so expected.
Candrayu Sotyaningtyas
serial ini sdh habis 1 persewaan buku saya baca koleksinya, hihii ... habis persewaan bukunya tinggal salto nyampe deh, di dpn rmh siih ;p ( rmh hayamwuruk dlu ).
yah, cerita thriller abg gitu ... lumayan lah, utk ngisi waktu drpd ngelamun yg macem2, hehee ...
Jaime
Apr 12, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
I was a huge R.L. Stine fan in my early teens! I loved all the fear street books! They are what got me into reading again! :)
Around the Year i...: The Secret, by R.L. Stine 1 12 Dec 26, 2015 08:34PM
  • The Midnight Club
  • Fog (Losing Christina, #1)
  • The Mall
  • Welcome Back, Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #28)
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • The Christmas Ghost (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller Edition #1)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

The Fear Street Saga Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Betrayal (The Fear Street Saga, #1)
  • The Burning (The Fear Street Saga, #3)
  • Betrayal: The Betrayal; The Secret; The Burning