Start by marking “Superstitious” as Want to Read:
Superstitious

Superstitious

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,963 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
Stine is the world's bestselling horror writer for children, but this is his first novel for adults. Liam is a bachelor professor of folklore and he's incurably superstitious. When people start getting murdered, it seems that Liam's demons are real.
Published October 1st 1996 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1995)

Don't Go To Sleep! by R.L. StineMoonlight Secrets by R.L. StineHow I Learned To Fly by R.L. StineMidnight Games by R.L. StineBeach House by R.L. Stine
Best of R.L. Stine
14th out of 117 books — 49 voters
City of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareMy Heart Be Damned by Chanelle GrayClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Books I'm Dying to Read (like Now)
166th out of 213 books — 153 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
Jan 13, 2013 Steph rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Crystal
Jun 07, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
R.L. Stine is the absolute master of horror. I absolutely loved reading his Goosebump and Fear Street books growing up, and am thrilled to be reading his books into adulthood. I often wondered why Stine never wrote horror fiction for adults. I was so thrilled to find this book-And I was not disappointed! This novel is so intelligent, well-written and, most importantly, terrifying! I was hooked until the very end. And, even after the story ended, I'm still left wondering what happens next. He is ...more
Eric
May 28, 2008 Eric rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one I like
This book is billed as Stine's first adult horror novel. It is not very good.

The premise sounds promising. A local small-town college is shocked and terrorized at a series of gruesome murders on campus. In the meantime, a new professor has wowed students and impressed his colleagues by teaching classes on mythology, folklore, and superstition. Not surprisingly, the professor, Liam O'Connor from Ireland, is superstitious himself.

Graduate student Sara Morgan returns to her alma mater from New York
Michele Garber
Feb 15, 2013 Michele Garber rated it did not like it
Seldom do I say this, but I hated this book. I had a passing familiarity with the Goosebumps series, which I thought was great for kids, so I was willing to give Stine's adult novel a try.

If only I could get those hours back, and the money I spent.

Stine apparently thought you can "adultify" a novel by adding healthy doses of sex, gore, and expletives. Now, don't get me wrong--these things do have their place, and can elevate a story to dizzying heights when used skillfully, and sensibly. The re
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 30, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was ok
Superstitious was okay... it wasn't bad (and it fills the void time of my pretentious sociology class :P), but I didn't really like it very much. I think R.L. Stine does better at writing middle-grade novels like the Goosebumps series than he does trying to write horror for adults, although to be fair, Superstitious does have its good moments from time to time.
Faith
Feb 25, 2013 Faith rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody.
LJ
Oct 15, 2008 LJ rated it did not like it
SUPERSTITIOUS - NR
Stine, R.L.

When graduate student Sara Morgan meets Liam O'Connor, the dashing folklore professor, the attraction is mutual. Sara is far too much in love to let Liam's odd superstitions, or even the brutal murders in the town, get in the way. That is, until she learns the secret behind Liam's superstitions.

Definitely NOT for children. This was beyond gruesome and poorly written besides.
Connie
Oct 19, 2015 Connie rated it liked it
Source: I read this online via OpenLibrary.
Cost: Free

Title: Superstitious
Author: R.L. Stine
Genre: Adult, horror
Overall Rating: 3 stars

I mean, I didn't expect a lot, so in that respect I was right. It was basically a Point Horror book with a lot more gore, sex and description. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't overly brilliant either, and as a massive fan of RL Stine's books it pains me to say that.

My main issue however was his inability to use the word sex. Like come on, it's an adult boo
Serena
Apr 15, 2013 Serena rated it did not like it
I have to give credit where credit is due...R.L. Stine cultivated my love for horror at a very young age. I adored the Goosebumps books and I still pick one up every now and then to revel in my childhood. I expected this to be a seamless transition from a successful author of childrens books to adult horror fiction. I think I expected a little too much.

The main character, Sara, comes off as a weak, needy female. In an attempt to flee her previous dysfunctional relationship, she moves closer to h
Rachel
Sep 13, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
This book reminded me of why I stopped reading Fear Street novels. R L Stine isn't a bad writer, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't write horror. He writes gore. I read horror novels because I want to be scared, shocked, psychologically twisted. Like Lovecraft, Poe, Bram Stoker, and the rest of the greats, I want to finish a book with chills from the profound meaning; the horror that means more than just slashing. I don't read them because I want to be disgusted with overly bloody imagery. I wou ...more
Kevin Bachovchin
Jul 26, 2014 Kevin Bachovchin rated it did not like it
When I was younger, I really liked the Goosebumps and Fear Street books by R.L. Stine, which is why I thought I'd give R.L. Stine's first novel for adults a try. I honestly wasn't expecting a lot from this book, but I was still disappointed. While Superstitious is billed as an "adult book," the writing in this book is at a middle school level (short sentences, simple vocabulary) just like in the Goosebumps series. The only things that made it an "adult book" were the numerous sex scenes. Also ma ...more
Michelle Goodman
Jan 11, 2016 Michelle Goodman rated it it was ok
I was excited to find an R.L. Stine book for adults! Sadly, I think his Goosebumps and Fear Street series were more compelling reads.
K.J. Bryen
May 11, 2015 K.J. Bryen rated it really liked it
Don't worry, no spoilers.

So first off, I'd like to say that I understand the low ratings a lot of people gave this book. It was a little silly, and was very similar to R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series, aside from the added sex and gore.

However, I am giving this a 4 star because it did it's job. It was interesting, fun, and kept me entertained. I ended up despising his main character Sara, but the mystery kept me thoroughly interested from beginning to end. Looking for a compelling, mind-blowing n
Wenj
Feb 08, 2010 Wenj rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-prior-2009
I admit, I use to love Goosebumps and Stine's tween Fear Street series so naturally I was curious when he wrote an adult novel. Like his other series, this is written in much the same manner only with more adult themes throughout. Likewise, it is fast paced with a mystery that you can sink your teeth into. The characters are intruiging and while it's pretty predictable it is highly entertaining.
Brittany Sturges
May 28, 2011 Brittany Sturges rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How utterly awful. After reading this, I cannot help but think back to all of his other books that I read growing up. This was just too chaotic and such an awful ending. Ugh. Plus, I felt it lacked in character development.
Lindsay
Sep 17, 2011 Lindsay rated it did not like it
Stereotypes women, drags you through about 300 pages of, "really?", and finishes up with an ending fit for a kid's book. R.L., you should be superstitious of adult fiction!
Jessi
Mar 10, 2009 Jessi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Jessi by: Picked it up at Lib.
This could quite possibly be one of the worst books that I have ever read. R.L. Stine needs to stick to young adult books!
Derek
Mar 14, 2011 Derek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could have rated it a negative I would have...
Ashley
Mild Spoilers in review so read at your own risk:
I don't know why I had any sort of expectation for this book as I thought his YA books were campy even as a preteen. Hey... I'm not saying that I didn't like Fear Street and others like it but I still thought they were cheesy horror.
Which is what I got with "Superstitions". It was the same ole R.L. Stine writing, just laced with foul language and sex. The same old fake-outs that end up being a joke (Milton getting "shot"), prank calls (Babysitter
Myra
Sep 08, 2014 Myra rated it did not like it
Really more like half a star. Maybe. This was so awful. I fully admit to skimming starting at about page 75. I don't even know where to begin. Characters are very stereotypical and idiotic. Plot is nothing new. And the writing is some of the worst I've ever seen. Bad enough that you would assume the man had never written before. Stine is the king of sentence fragments. For every one complete sentence, there must be 3 fragments. Here's a sample paragraph.

"Laughter in the hallway. Raised voices. P
Andy
Apr 23, 2013 Andy rated it it was ok
I'll try to be as spoiler free as possible.

Like most people that read this, I was a big fan of Goosebumps going up in the 90s. When I was browsing at the library, I found this and was immediately interested.

Things I liked:
+Chapters are short.

+There are kills in this, and the kills are very graphic. Stine did a good job loading the kills with a bunch of detail.

Things I didn't like:

-The supernatural kind of comes out of nowhere. About 2/3's of the book has a murder mystery feel. That was what I wa
Kim
Jan 08, 2016 Kim rated it did not like it
Sara Golden
Nov 25, 2015 Sara Golden rated it it was ok
This book was published 20 years ago. I think if I'd read it back then, I probably would have enjoyed it more. Reading it now it just reminded me of Fear Street novels with more swear words. Sara Morgan is running away from a bad relationship when she meets Liam who is extremely superstitious. A series of bizarre murders happens and Sara finds her whirlwind romance, new husband isn't who she thought he was. Not my favorite but my inner teenage self probably would have enjoyed it.
Danielle Langlois
Nov 09, 2014 Danielle Langlois rated it it was ok
As a Fear Street fanatic when I was growing up I was disappointed in this "adult" novel by R.L. Stine. Having not read any of his books for years the familiar writing was comforting but aside from the sex, cursing, and added gore I still felt as if I was reading a young adult genre. Sara wasn't believable enough to be an educated undergrad student with how naive she is portrayed. I found the ending and answer to the mysterious campus murders to be a little far fetched and something that would ha ...more
Nicole Williams
Apr 02, 2011 Nicole Williams rated it liked it
I haven't read a R.L. Stine book since high school. I saw this at a garage sale and picked it up. This is R.L. Stine's first adult fiction book. It was good but I don't think it's his best work.

I like how he was very descriptive in his death scenes. Very gruesome. But I felt it was lacking. The book was a little slow. I wanted more to happen. And then, it ended. Just as it was getting good; it ended. How disappointing.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Superstitious very much. It's a good, easy read.
Josh
Jan 14, 2014 Josh rated it did not like it
I didn't go in to this book with any expectations of quality, but nothing could have prepared me for the absolute schlock-fest that is Superstitious. Laughable dialog, gratuitous sex (to prove this is an "adult" book?), and a plot that ranges from predictable and bland to frustrating and repetitive all swirled together to create one of the worst books I've ever read.

On a side note, Stine sure seems to think that all the attractive ladies of 1995 wore nothing but brightly colored sweater dresses
Jamie Bernard
Jul 14, 2015 Jamie Bernard rated it really liked it
I can understand why people are giving the poor reviews, they are right about certain things. It is kinda corney, the only reason it is an adult book is bc of the curse words, sex, and gore. I hadn't gotten on here when I got this book (at a yard sale for $1) but I would've read it no matter what I saw since I like to form my own opinion but also since I grew up reading the fear street novels I wanted to see what it was like. I liked the book overall, it kept me interested and wanting to find ou ...more
Joe
Oct 05, 2014 Joe rated it it was ok
The professor Sara is drawn to is a bit...well, eccentric would be putting it mildly. He is superstitious, but we’re not just talking about: Step in a crack, break your mother’s back. Liam is something of an extreme case, but even more extreme are the murders around the small town college campus that coincide with the professor’s oddities.

Sounds mildly interesting, right?

Don’t get excited.

Some childhood treats are best left as fond memories. They’re just not as good as adults. Don’t get me wrong
Rebecca
Apr 16, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was ok
As a child, I devoured R.L. Stine's books and I probably read most of them at least once. Until recently, however, I was unaware of his entrance into adult novels. Over the last three days, I've steadily read 'Superstitious'. I found the writing style to be easy to read and it had a nice flow. Otherwise, I may have skipped to the ending and called it a day. I found the characters to be very dull. Sara, the main character annoyed me in particular. I felt that the ending had some unresolved questi ...more
Angela
Jun 19, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, supernatural, myth
I remember reading this in high school and loving it since it was an R.L. Stine adult novel. Since R.L.Stine has been with me through my life (goosebump, Fear Streat)up into adulthood, and I can vividly remember the plot of a book I read about ten years ago I should add this to my books list. Female horror fans will enjoy this book.
do you think Liam is going to start dating Sara? 1 3 Jan 15, 2016 08:10AM
Thanks Mom 5 20 Jan 11, 2013 08:20PM
  • The Cold One
  • Three Complete Novels: Dragon's Gold / Serpent's Silver / Chimaera's Copper
  • Resurrection Dreams
  • NYV: PUNK (New York Vampire, #1)
  • Hot Blood: Tales of Erotic Horror
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women
  • Nowhere Girl
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • The Death of Death
  • The Animal Rebellion (Shivers, #4)
  • Burning Bones (Body of Evidence, #7)
  • Tap,Tap