Start by marking “Renfield: Slave of Dracula” as Want to Read:
Renfield: Slave of Dracula

Renfield: Slave of Dracula

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  65 reviews
An imaginative novel that puts a fresh and frightening new spin on Bram Stoker's Dracula.

The servant Renfield was the most enigmatic character to stalk in the shadows of Dracula. Now he takes center stage in an ingenious re-imagining of Bram Stoker's classic novel that explores the chilling circumstances of his insane devotion to the Vampire Prince. An inmate of Rushbroo...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Berkley Hardcover (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Renfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renfield

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerDark Lover by J.R. WardInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
194th out of 1,136 books — 6,514 voters
Bound By Blood by Shane K.P. O'NeillDracula by Bram StokerBound By Blood by Shane K.P. O'NeillBirth Of The Monster by Shane K.P. O'NeillFor Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) by Shane K.P. O'Neill
Best Books Featuring Dracula
20th out of 52 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

Dagny
A fun read and very well done with working everything together from Stoker's book. Having previously read Dracula would enhance the enjoyment, but even if you've only seen a movie, you should have the necessary back history.
Tarl
I didn't know what to expect when I picked up this book. I had read Dracula back in school and had enjoyed it. As soon as I started on the journey that was this book, I couldn't stop myself from turning each page and staying up long past when I should just to read one more page.
Hambly does a wonderful job fleshing out the character of Renfield. To the point where you understand why he went insane and why he chose to serve Dracula the way he did. The insights of his letters, mixed in with actual...more
Jessica
I had high hopes for this book since I had enjoyed Barbara Hambly's Star Wars novels when I was a teenager and practically everything dealing with Dracula is A-OK in my book, however, this one fell short. I felt this retelling of Bram Stoker's famous work didn't offer much in the way of new material. The fascinating, insect-eating character of Renfield has a highly predictable and just plain boring storyline. In short, this book had a lot of potential, but readers would be better off picking up...more
Hilary
I am a Barbara Hambly fan, but I am not a fan of this book. Aside from the Bridget Jones-like recording of Renfield's diet -- X flies, X spiders, 1 prostitute -- I found little to amuse me.
Naima Haviland
Barbara Hambly's Renfield: Slave of Dracula is not only good storytelling, but great prose ...rich, imaginative, poetic. It is a unique take on Renfield, the madman in Bram Stoker's Dracula. In Hambly's novel, Renfield, is the central character. He is a driving force in the added action that distinguishes Renfield: Slave of Dracula from the original Dracula. Hambly also managed to add depth and character development to the original story. However, she did this without changing the storyline of S...more
Alexander
Oct 17, 2011 Alexander rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of "Dracula," Victorian-era horror and Gothic tales, and vampire stories in general
I wish that Goodreads allowed half-star ratings, because I would have given it 4 and 1/2. It deserves more than 4, but just misses the 5-mark of "Oh my god, this is one of the best books ever."

I have to hand it to Hambly, she certainly took on an enigmatic and difficult subject. In the original "Dracula," not much is said of Renfield, other than the fact that he eats insects and birds, that he tried to escape several times, and that he eventually tried to stop Dracula from doing something. Other...more
Gabrielle
I am usually quite wary of novels based on classics being a firm believer that one should not tamper with historic greatness. However, every once in a while I stumble upon a truly unique interpretation, which redefines a time-tested tale, shedding new light on what might otherwise have been overlooked as it gathered cobwebs. Barbara Hambly’s 2006 novel Renfield: Slave of Dracula is one such creation.

With one of the strongest literary voices I have had the honor of reading to date, Hambly has man...more
Vex
Jan 19, 2012 Vex rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dracula fans
Shelves: read-2012
I stumbled across this book while browsing my local library. I'm a huge Dracula and all things related. So I REALLY wanted to like this book.

About 20 pages in I found myself being forced to turn each page. Because I wanted to like it. But I just couldn't get in to it. The story was a little too redundant for someone so familiar with Bram Stoker's tale. Looking back, I suppose it could be considered as an introduction to those less familiar with the classical vampire story.

I had almost lost hope...more
Shari
Dec 14, 2010 Shari is currently reading it
I like Hambly's style of prose. She doesn't deviate too much from Bram Stoker's Renfield character, yet she adds enough meat onto his character, which perhaps makes him a bit more appreciated and understood. He starts out as the same Renfield we know from the novel Dracula, and Hambly refreshes our memory with quotations from Stoker's original work. Eventually,we see him as a newly "un-dead" person freed from his insanity in Dracula with death in this novel, yet primarily still viewed, for the m...more
Karen Dales
I first have to state that I love “Dracula” by Bram Stoker. It is by far one of my favourite books, so when I saw Ms Hambly’s retelling through Ryland Renfield I had to grab it.

Written very much in the style of “Dracula” the feeling that it was the next novel in a series really came to light. I enjoyed it, but, surprisingly, not as much as I had hoped. “Renfield” does give a greater story to Ryland and his madness, but what I missed was hearing his own back story of how he ended up (from his per...more
Ubiquitousbastard
The first half was pretty good. Better than most of the Dracula spin-off books I've tried. I kind of liked not knowing what the crap was going on, and trying to figure out what Renfield thought he was doing. I also liked the tiny bits of other POV that sort of expanded on the original book.

Having said that, the last half was not nearly as good. As soon as the brides showed up, things took a turn for the stale and uninteresting. I didn't like their characterization, especially Nomie. Their dialo...more
Amanda
I can't recall any other books that I've read that put a new spin on a classic, although this is a recently popular concept (i.e. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies). I have always had a love for poor old Renfield and this trip through his troubled mind was very interesting.

Most of the book reads as journal entries and new spins on the original tale of Dracula. My favorite reference that Hambly often makes is to Wagner operas, pitting Renfield as a huge Wagner nut (no pun intended), such as I am....more
Bill
I like this book, but having never read Bram Stoker's original, I'm sure it would have been better had I really had a good grasp of the story. This is basically a retelling of the Dracula story from the perspective of Renfield, who we first meet an an inmate of the Rushbrook asylum. The text is made up of a mixture of passages from the notes and diaries of several characters, including Renfield himself, Jonathan Harker, and Dr. Seward, as well as letters between Lucy and Mina, simple narrative p...more
Kim
Ok. Normally I wouldn't choose to read a book called "Renfield: Slave of Dracula". But I've been enjoying Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January series, so I know she can wright. And I am, or at least was, a Dracula geek. I've read many different takes on Dracula: retellings, sequels, prequels. This is yet another one, a retelling of Dracula from Renfield's point of view. It's ok, and manages to capture some of the melodrama of the original. But ultimately, Renfield is not a very likeable character a...more
Connie
It was interesting being shown Renfield from a different side. I liked that Stoker's original was adhered to so well. There were a couple of parts where I found my suspension-of-disbelief tested by Hambly- points about vampire's powers sort of dropped cold into the story, or made up as she went along; and I never felt very sympathetic towards any of the characters. I would recommend the James Asher series for a better example of Hambly's vampire novels, especially the first, 'Those Who Hunt the...more
Kristi
My husband and I have always loved Bram Stoker's Dracula and I was intrigued by the premise of Renfield's backstory, so I picked this up as a stocking stuffer for my husband. He read it and was enthusiastically positive about it so I read it, too, and enjoyed it very much. It's written in the style of the original Dracula, with correspondence, newspaper articles, etc., as the primary means of storytelling. Very true to the original feel and writing-style. Better than I'd hoped. I'll probably rea...more
Jim Trela
Hearing Renfield's side of Dracula story was interesting.
Grace
Terrific. The story lined up well with Bram Stoker's Dracula, and it was interesting to get a different viewpoint, to get an idea of where Renfield's mind was at while his master was out at play in England. I think Hambly did a wonderful job with this book.
Nick
Apr 23, 2008 Nick rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of vampire fiction
A clever twist on the Dracula tale, told from the viewpoint of Renfield. Hambly's version of his madness makes a great deal of sense, and fills in the blanks in Stoker's original story. By taking the focus away from Dracula himself, Hambly is able to tell a more personal tale about a man's descent into darkness. Renfield's madness, and even his fascination with eating insects, become a poignant story about a man whose illness was far beyond the medicine of the day.
Michelle Wardhaugh
I thought about reading the original Dracula first, but I didn't have it on hand. This is a nice retelling. I'll probably like it better than the original. It was amazing how a serial killer could be made into a sympathetic protagonist. Hambly makes you buy into his world view even while revealing that it isn't in sync with the way most other people would see things.
Cindy
This book was surprisingly well written and entertaining. I didn't expect too much, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I did like the book. As you can see from my rating, I didn't think it was fabulous, but I would definitely recommend it for entertaining, light reading. One additional positive about the book is that it has prompted me to re-read Dracula.
Rachael
The best thing I can say about this book is that it made me want to go back and reread Stoker's original text.

That may be a little unfair. It was well-written, and it certainly gave a convincing background story for Renfield's motivations (remember him? he's the guy who eats flies), but I thought the ending was way too neat and tidy.
Katherine
I liked the book. I would suggest rereading Dracula, before reading this. I got lost a couple of times and then I found my way. Renfield's character is one that you feel sorry for in a way. His own grief drove into madness. A man divided between wanting to go good for others and wanting to protect his family.
Stacey
Jun 02, 2008 Stacey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who read Dracula first
This was OK. I've never read Bram Stoker's Dracula but after reading this book I think I may put it on my list. I think this author assumes the reader knows all the characters from the original and does not delve too deeply into the "set-up". I was a little lost at times. Entertaining and quick.
Rebekah
this turned out to be a very good book! The character of Renfield is one you can become easily attached to here. It does have it's dull bits, but all and all I was very happy to FINALLY find another Vampire Novel that isn't the typical flashy bullshit that seems to be everywhere these days
Crystal
Jan 05, 2008 Crystal marked it as to-read
Shelves: lie-berry
Okay, I'm still debating whether or not to read this. But I remember picking it up, opening to page 107, and the first sentence my eyes landed on included the phrase "fruity chuckle."

Fruity chuckle.

That alone, I think, makes the book worth reading. n.n
Very quick read, full of allusion and not a lot of gore. Almost like a gentle horror, where the vast majority of gruesome, lustful or otherwise unseemly behavior takes place just off the page, only alluded to for the reader. Definitely enjoyable.
Carol
It was nice to find this book in the library on the suggestion shelf a week ago. I liked hearing the story of Dracula from Renfield's point of view! The book told the story within the backdrop of the goings on in Renfield's life. Quite interesting.
Kirsten
This is a wonderful take on the Dracula story, told from the POV of the character Renfield. Barbara Hambly expresses his character so perfectly that you actually feel for the poor man. A wonderful addition to the Dracula oeuvre.
krin
Aug 19, 2009 krin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
I enjoyed this book which looked at the events described in Bram Stoker's Dracula from Renfield's, John Seward's and Van Helsing's point of view. I especially liked the interactions between Renfield and Dracula's wives.
  • Dracula the Undead
  • Dracula in London
  • Lord Of The Dead
  • Vampire Junction
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • The Golden
  • Twelve (The Danilov Quintet, #1)
  • Dracula's Guest and Other Victorian Vampire Stories
  • The Science of Vampires
  • A Sharpness on the Neck (Dracula Series, #9)
  • Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • The Light at the End
  • The Vampire Archives
  • Vlad: The Last Confession
  • Hotel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1)
  • Fangland
  • Mina
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone...more
More about Barbara Hambly...
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)