Dragonshadow (Winterlands, #2)

Dragonshadow (Winterlands #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  590 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Lord John Aversin--with the help of his mageborn wife, Jenny Waynest-- has fought and defeated two dragons, earning the title of Dragonsbane. But there are creatures more terrifying than dragons. Demonspawn from a dark dimension have learned to drink the magic--and the souls--of mages and dragons alike, turning their victims into empty vessels. And now they've stolen John...more
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published January 4th 2000 by Random House Inc (first published March 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonshadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonshadow

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
288th out of 784 books — 1,511 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline CareySon of the Shadows by Juliet MarillierDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierThe Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin
Traditional Fantasy Written by Women
76th out of 158 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendell Adams
Like a lot of people, I read Dragonsbane years ago and loved it. Dragonshadow, however, was terrible by all accounts.

The first portion of the book was tedious. Sure, we need to see what has been going on with John Aversin and Jenny Waynest since Dragonsbane, but here we get pages of basically nothing but filler material - at least that is how it felt. Then when the story actually progresses, we get a long, drawn out journey by John that accomplishes nothing except gets him out of the way: i.e....more
Rachel Brown
If you loved Dragonsbane, run away from the unnecessary, excruciatingly depressing, and out of character sequels.

Dragonsbane had a beautiful ending and did not need any sequels. It especially did not need sequels in which the characters were physically, psychologically, and morally destroyed by... demons. Why demons? I have no idea. Maybe because it was the most grim and miserable thing Hambly could think of.

I honestly wish I had never read this book.
Rebecca Huston
This one turned out to be a very good, very chilling fantasy novel that takes and twists everything you think you know about dragons and demons. Occurs four years after the events in Dragonsbane, and while it's not necessary to have read the previous novel, it does help. I should also warn that there is some very adult content in this one, and that if you are sensitive to violent scenes, including rape, you may want to avoid this one. For all that, it's still an excellent book, and probably one...more
Korynn
Returning late to her characters, Hambly starts on a new tale using her characters from Dragonsbane. In this much darker story demons seize control of wizards and dragons alike for their pleasure. High costs are paid for success and the characters stand fractured by the end.
Louiz
I have been putting off reading this as the second book in this trilogy ends on a horrible cliff hanger (both in that it's a cliff hanger and it's horrible) but I now have the last one so... on with the re-reading
Jeffrey
Dragonsbane was a great fantasy novel. This one is not quite as good.
Lucinda
An exciting, fast-paced adventure that exudes awe-inspiring, intricate talent by a great writer of fantasy fiction.

Barbara Hambly is an accomplished author of the old-style fantasy genre, whose work I comfortably place alongside JRR Tolkien and Robin Hobb (/ Megan Lindholm). Her deftly woven, complex storylines project such enviable talent that is the mark of a truly singular author and master of their craft. I would highly recommend this book (and other books within the Darwath trilogy) to th...more
sabisteb
Dieser Band ist der eigentliche Auftakt zur Dachentötertrilogie. Das Buch spielt etwa 2 Jahre nach Band 1 und John und Jenny haben mittlerweile noch eine kleine Tochter.
Eines Tages wird ihr ältester Sohn Ian, welcher magiegeboren wie seine Mutter ist, enführt. Dämonen haben von ihm, ein paar weitere Magiern und einigen Drachen Besitz ergriffen und wollen sich das Königreich Bel aneignen.
John und Jenny machen sich auf ihren Sohn zu retten und müssen dafür große Opfer bringen. John geht einen Hand...more
Emmanuelle
I had lots of trouble to finish reading this one. hard on the soul when you love so much dragonsbane. the tone and everything else in it is so different that what you know... I finished it only because I wanted to read the other two and finish this serie once and for all.
Not that it's not a good book but it's like it has nothing to do with the first one.
Dec 29, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoy my reviews (who doesn't?)
i reeeeeeally liked it!!!! It totally sucked me in!!! The 1st book ended and tied up all the loose ends, but this book still totally fits and has its own story!!! Sometimes sequels are reeeeally bad and the only reason why they were written is because the 1st book was such a hit (its the same with movies), but this one is still totally awesome and not like that at all! its about them fighting demons this time instead of dragons. Fighting demons is even harder then dragons, because one of them ha...more
Terry
Jenny Waynest and John Aversin once again have to battle to preserve their world and way of life. Their characters keep this fantasy from being pedestrian, though even they show the strain of being in a sequel.
Jamie
I liked the first book in this series, and I was glad to see the main characters again, but I didn’t enjoy this one very much. There’s too much magic for my taste. I like fantasy that’s a little more grounded in reality; so much magic makes the plot seem abstract and I have a hard time staying invested.

I also like my dragons to be more... dragonish. These dragons can change size and shape, and while they talk a lot about being dragons, they feel more like some other kind of mystical, magical ent...more
Brittany
Hm. Well, that was disorienting, disappointing, and . . . kind of uncomfortable. Not nearly as good as Dragonsbane, and it ends on a cliffhanger. I suppose I would need to read the next one to see if the story redeems itself. But right at the moment, I'm not inclined to do so.
Pkeets
This is an excellent book. I love the way Barbara Hambly makes here characters seem so alive and entertaining. It's part of a series that I've recently discovered, and I had to look for all of them. The characters struggle against the evils and problems within their own lives. They suffer losses, but managed to prevail in the end.
Angela Larsen
This book threw me. The last third could have been a different book, with different characters, by a different author. But, somehow, this was what I wanted, what I had been waiting for!
Christel Devlin
Seems to me that an awful lot of the 2nd books in trilogies are full of unhappiness, despair, and in this case, a whole lot of crying. And why are all the females in this book evil except for Jenny and the stumpy troll ladies?
Eremite
Great characters and epic moral dilemmas, but they have to suffer an awful lot, and while they triumph in the end, the ending is not exactly triumphant. I suspect that means I need to read the next book.
Synesthesia
The introduction of demons bugged me. I hate demons. They are all evil. How is that interesting? Dragons, on the other hand are cool and fantastic, but demons just suck.
Rusty
This book continues the adventures of Lord John and Jenny who strive to save the land with the help of their dragon friend. Excellent read!
Meri
Love how Barbara Hambly uses words and develops her characters. I've all of the books in this series and love them.
Joy
I'm impressed with this author even if she did write the Jedi books. Going on to the third in this series.
Helen
sequel to Dragonsbane
Roy
Amazing series
Erika Odom
Erika Odom marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Maggie
Maggie added it
Aug 15, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Amara Lyvers
Amara Lyvers marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • The Windsingers (Windsingers, #2)
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume II
  • Sorcerer's Son (The Book of Elementals, #1)
  • The Deryni Archives
  • Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • A Dragon's Ascension (Band of Four, #3)
  • Reign of Shadows (The Ruby Throne Trilogy, #1)
  • The Catswold Portal
  • Dragon Steel
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • The Last Wizard (Wizard of the Grove, #2)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • Grail (Jacob's Ladder, #3)
  • Red Death (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #1)
  • Wolverine's Daughter
  • Dragons of War (Bazil Broketail, #3)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone...more
More about Barbara Hambly...
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)