Start by marking “The Ship of Adventure” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Ship of Adventure
Enid Blyton

The Ship of Adventure (Adventure #6)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,580 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
All aboard for a quiet cruise among the Greek islands! But when Philip's pet monkey breaks a birthday present, Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack are plunged into an exciting quest to find the lost treasure of the Andra - with some ruthless villains hot on their trail.
Published April 1st 2010 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Ship of Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ship of Adventure

"The Ship of Adventure" has been the first one of Enid Blyton's books I read and has easily kept me interested in the other ones as well when I've still been a little child reading about adventures and great mysteries leading to happy-ends. I know this series will always have a special place in my heart, as it is the first one I ever started to read, but this book seems kind of outstanding in comparison to the other novels. The cruise was used to create an interesting atmosphere, and I remember ...more
Jake Collins
Jul 14, 2014 Jake Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would have been a good, fitting ending to the series (as everyone knows, it was originally written as the final book) as the treasure hunting adventure and the Mediterranean locations manage to live up to the high standards of the premises and settings of the previous two books, if not to the exceptionally high standards of the first three.

The only problems I have with this book are that the extremely convenient departure of Mrs Mannering and the breakdown of the ship's engines are far
May 19, 2014 Karthik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is my favorite among Enid Blyton's books. This book is not among my favorites within the series. My favories in order of preference are The Circus of Adventure, The River of Adventure, The Catle of Adventure, The Valley of Adventure and The Mountain of Adventure. The Ship, Sea and Island rate last in my preference - in some ways all 3 are similar with them happening close to the sea as do many of other Enid Blyton's books. However I rate Ship higher as I liked the initial parts - The ...more
Tom Seward
Mar 21, 2010 Tom Seward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
Enid Blyton is an amazing childrens author, bestselling in the world. Although almost undiscovered by Americans.

This series (The Adventure Series is 8 books long) Features 4 friends who fall into adventures with counterfeiters, gunrunners, treasure hunters and the like. Jack, Philip, Diana, and Lucy-Anne and their crazy talking parrot, KIKI, are a lot of fun to follow through their adventures... This series is top notch reading... introduce your children to Enid Blyton today!
Mrs Mannering is determined that this time there will be no adventures on this holiday so in order to keep a close eye on Philip, Dinah, Jack, Lucy-Ann and Kiki she takes them on a cruise. Cure time for an adventure!

Really enjoyed this entry in Enid Blyton's adventure series great fun an opportunity to really expand the opportunities for adventure. I love the personalities of the children which are really well developed and the animals Kiki and Micky the monkey are an intrinsic part of the story
Amara Thornton
Jun 21, 2007 Amara Thornton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an excellent novel. enid blyton is one of my favorite authors, and this book is one of my favorites. ships in bottles, islands in the aegean sea, what more can you ask for, really?
Feb 05, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book, I recommend to Adventure lovers.
Nov 16, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, when I re read any book in The Adventure Series I am transported back to the late 60's, early 70's, when I was a child.
So along with nostalgia and still an enjoyable read after all this time I give 5 stars to The Ship of Adventure!
Having never travelled the first half of my life, the faraway places in this book were intriguing to read about when I was young and
having since been to these places I felt more entangled in this adventure!
Feb 21, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I barely remembered this one, but once the ship in the bottle came into play the story started to come back to me... a cruise in the Mediterranean, a mysterious map and lost treasure - another fun adventure taking me right back to my childhood.
Aug 27, 2016 Yasmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yasmin by: Dad
Shelves: childhood-reads
This is a book from my childhood that my dad bought me! I don't remember the storyline too much, I just remember that I liked it. I'm wondering where it could be now...
The four friends' misadventures with their cheeky parrot make this a fun read-aloud for middle grade children.
Dec 12, 2015 Ron-Thebookaddict rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes reading children books is just fun..... Just to revive our childhood...... Nice book
Jun 26, 2016 Fiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See reviews of Island of Adventure and Castle of Adventure
Sujith Ravindran
My first book to read of Enid Blyton. An enjoyable read.
Jan 18, 2014 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read the rest of the series in quick succession, I find these books are becoming formulaic. The 1950s gender stereotypes are being to grate. Both problems I think, were rather less of an issue when I was eight.
Amy Rose
Aug 20, 2016 Amy Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indah Threez Lestari
413 - 2015
Colin Lindzey
Found this book on my book shelf - it was presented to me at Christmas 1957 as a prize for good attendance at Sunday School. Thought I would read it for old times sake. The amazing thing was that as I read through it I could remember parts of it. It certainly brought back the freedom innocence of being a child in the 50's. I wonder what the children of today make of reading these books today.
Apr 12, 2016 Laily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May 10, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Enid Blytons best. I read it again, and again, as a child. Great adventure book. Unforgettable "Mr Eppy", and "KIKI" the parrot. I saw her books as "my friends", as did my friends. Her books were a place to live, a place to escape to. I am so glad computer games did not exist then.
Nov 30, 2012 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All for a birthday present! The adventure is on, and there's treasure to be had. Will Bill and the kids triumph, or will Mr Eppy beat them to the prize? Read and find out! Love Kiki, as always. WIPE YOUR DOOR, SHUT YOUR FEET!'
Mar 22, 2010 Philipp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved to read Enid Blyton's books for children when I was a little boy. As far as I can remember, her books were pretty much the only ones I read when I was about 11 years old. That is why I now rated it 5 stars.
Kate Wood
Oct 22, 2013 Kate Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books
Despite not being an avid Enid Blyton fan my Auntie gave me this series of books and I loved them and re-read them often. Less annoying than the 5 and 7 and just as predictable but strangely comforting :)
Apr 28, 2009 Jasmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I used to LOVE this book. But reading it now I'm mainly struck by how unnecessarily unpleasant these children are - especially Jack who I'm sure used to be my favourite...
Maria Carmo
Mar 06, 2012 Maria Carmo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
I am reading this in German to improve my knowledge of the German language... I had read it in English and Portuguese before, when I was young.
Feb 09, 2012 Roshni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
One of the best in the Adventure series, A peaceful cruise turns into a roaring mystery
This one was my favourite.
God, so many of the Enid Blytons were sooo predictable. :)
May 24, 2011 Debs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this when in my teenage time.
Alysha Forman
Things aren't ALWAYS as they seem.
Shreyas Borgaonkar
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • Lima Sekawan: Menaklukkan Agen Rahasia (2)
  • Musim Ceri di Bullerbyn
  • South Sea Adventure
  • Jo Returns to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #13)
  • The Secret of Ka
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • The Baboons Who Went This Way and That
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

Adventure (8 books)
  • The Island of Adventure (Adventure, #1)
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)