Start by marking “MY WAR” as Want to Read:
MY WAR

MY WAR

My War
Published October 25th 2000 by PublicAffairs (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about MY WAR, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MY WAR

Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

Rooney's acerbic style, evident in his regular segment on 60 minutes, shows up in spades in this book.

He describes his experience as a army newspaperman during WWII and does not hold back his opinion. He comes right out and says that he holds no respect for General George Patton.

While I still prefer the rather more idealistic tone/view of Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation I appreciate learning about the experience of another person who experienced this momentous series
Rod Barnes
Jan 27, 2013 Rod Barnes rated it really liked it
Loved his commentary on 60 Minutes. He brings his ascerbic wit to this memoir of his days as a war correspondent for the Army paper The Stars and Stripes in WWII. Nothing flip, though. The man flew with B-17 crews on bombing missions over Europe and had to seek cover while travelling with ground forces under fire following the invasion. No jingoism here: "Anytime anyone gets thinking patriotism is one of the supreme virtues, it would be a good idea to remember that there was never any group of p ...more
Hope
Oct 16, 2014 Hope rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-reading, wwii, dud
I can sift through profanity in a good WWII story, but this book managed to be off-color yet barely interesting.
Anita Schweppe
Apr 08, 2014 Anita Schweppe rated it liked it
Some unneeded profanity and mean remarks about others. Lots of ego boosting for the author.
Mila
Mar 11, 2017 Mila rated it really liked it
I enjoyed listening to Andy Rooney on the TV show 60 Minutes and his writing is just the same. I came away from this book with two memorable (and contrasting) sentences:

"They were all my age. I think of the good life I have lived and they never had a chance to live. They didn't give their lives. Their lives were taken." p. xiii

"One night several correspondents started making up limericks. The name of Collier's correspondent Frank Gervasi came up, and Hal Boyle had the winning limerick that night
Rusty Henrichsen
Sep 16, 2009 Rusty Henrichsen rated it really liked it
Picked this up thinking it would be light, enjoyable reading. Well, it was enjoyable, but light it was not. Rooney traces his feelings from conscientious objector to Nazi hater. He served as a correspondent for Stars & Stripes, first following the air war and the Eighth Air Force and after D-Day the land war from Normandy to the meeting of US and Russian forces at the Elbe River.

While he was not a combatant, he did fly five missions on B-17s and on B-24's. On the first one, his plane was bad
Steve
Oct 06, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book about the horrors necessitating our getting into WW2 without glorifying war and the military and all things American and waving the flag in our face. As Andy points out, imagine what it be like today if we did not choose to send troops to fight evil alongside the British and French in Europe. This is a generation that saw the worst man can do his fellow man and it was close up not missiles sent from a distance to an unseen enemy. He also states correctly that we remember our 20's and ...more
Christie
Dec 01, 2012 Christie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-ii, memoir
With comic thoughts and observations mixed in with an interesting and exciting account of his life as an enlisted man and reporter for "Stars and Stripes" during World War II, Andy Rooney delivers a five star memoir.

The story of his exploits at Fort Bragg was hilarious. He recounts the scenario of how a blow-up mattress that his wife sent him after he complained about how uncomfortable the beds were went unnoticed for several days until his Sergeant started to wonder how the quarter was bouncin
Tony
Feb 29, 2012 Tony rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
MY WAR. (1995; this ed. 2000). Andy Rooney. ***.
This is a re-released edition from 1995, but with the addition of a forward by Tom Brokaw. It follows the adventures of Andy Rooney from his early school days to Hamilton, NY, where he was a student at Colgate. When he registered for the draft in 1940, he figured that he had a good chance of being passed by – his being a college student and all. Not so. He was drafted early on and sent to Fort Bragg. He managed to get himself on the staff of the c
Liz Waters
Sep 21, 2012 Liz Waters rated it it was amazing
Anyone who mourned the passing of Andy Rooney and miss his grounding views on the world at large on CBS's "Sixty Minutes" should read this book. It is the story of how Andrew Rooney, soldier, found his calling as Andy Rooney, writer and chronicler of world events. This young man, well-educated and full of acerbic wit and curiosity, joined the Army to "do his bit" for our nation in World War II. Chance landed him a gig writing for "Stars and Stripes", reporting the news for the fighting men.

Stati
Robert West
Jun 23, 2011 Robert West rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading My War. Andy Rooney writes like he talks on 60 min. with an easy-going, almost off-hand style. You trust that he is giving an honest and forthright narrative. The picture of the war is very graphic, always illuminating, sometimes painful even disgusting, and sometimes very uplifting.

The details about the lives of pilots and the air war are particularly affecting. The sense of "being there"--seeing events as they happen (albeit from the comfort of an easy chair)is very compelli
Timothy Bazzett
Mar 12, 2012 Timothy Bazzett rated it it was amazing
Lately I've been reading stories about war, an unfortunate constant of human history, I'm afraid. Tales about WWII, or "The Last Good War" (a book I read many years ago), as Studs Terkel called it, abound, but I especailly recommend this one. My War, by Andy Rooney (yep, the same bushy-eyebrowed old grump you see on 60 Minutes every week), is a true gem, full of his homespun self-deprecating bits of humor and wisdom, along with the expected grim and grisly stories about the carnage that is war. ...more
Converse
The CBS commentator was drafted into the army when he was a student at Colegate University. Despite an undiplomatic streak that led to repeated conflicts with his superiors during basic training, once in Britain he was able to make his way from the artillery to the army newspaper Stars and Stripes based upon luck (mainly) and some experience putting together a sort of unit newsletter. He then learned to be a journalist, eventually covering bombing raids (including some trips on the bombers) and ...more
Marvin
Jan 31, 2014 Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normally I find Andy Rooney hard to read, too dry , cynical and trying to be funny in every sentence. This book intrigued me because of the time period and the behind the scenes look at the shakers and makers of history. This book is really good. I found it very enlightening and very honest appraisal of the war as Mr. Rooney saw it. His description of some of the biggest names of the period and his personal opinion are amusing and also disturbing. Rooney's stories share another perspective on Wo ...more
Bill Lively
Dec 17, 2015 Bill Lively rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting memoir of Andy Rooney's experiences during World War II. He tells of his experiences from the hedge row fighting in Germany, through Europe and into Germany. He was often at or near the front lines. He does not romanticize war. He hates war and felt sorrow to the end of his life for the young men and women who died and never had a chance to live a normal, long life. This is a good read.
Anne
Aug 29, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it
Tedious at times, but a very sobering view of World War II while Andy Rooney served in the Army as a correspondent for the news magazine, The Stars and Stripes . His assignment gave him a front row seat to many of the major events during the war, including bombing missions and entry into Paris during the liberation of France. More than anything, his book is a tribute and dedication to those who did not come home. Throughout the book, he remembers these men.
Dave Creek
If you know Andy Rooney only as the grumpy guy on 60 MINUTES, then MY WAR will surprise you. It tells of his experiences during WWII as a reporter for STARS AND STRIPES. Those include a harrowing flight aboard a B-17 bomber in which he saves a crewmember's life, and how he would cry every time he visited the graves of soldiers who were killed on D-Day. An immensely personal document, and a compelling read.
Patti
Dec 29, 2013 Patti rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Most folks would probably agree that Andy Rooney was a lovable, nasty old curmudgeon...and this book was just like his "60 Minutes" personality. If you liked him on the show, you will most likely like this book. Our book club reviewed it this week. 9 liked it or found it to be interesting. One disliked him so much that she quit the book at about 75 pages. One hated his pompous, self-serving attitude, but finished it anyway.
Frank Inserra
Dec 08, 2014 Frank Inserra rated it really liked it
I never much cared for Andy Rooney in his 60 Minutes incarnation. He has so much more to offer, however, recounting his experiences as a young man and WWII correspondent. THis is in the ins and outs of Stars and Stripes ina way far more informative and revealing than the "Hey, 'how ya doin' soldier' drive-by." It also offers a rare glimpse of a young reporter doing scut work and cutting his teeth in a once-in-century environment.
Joyce T. Enderle
ANDY Rooney

WW11 consumed my childhood and I never missed 60 Minutes only. because I so enjoyed ANDY Rooney. His book was so interesting and every word he wrote reminded me of all those wonderful stories he told at the end of every 60 Minutes show. He was indeed a special reporter. I will never forget him.
Scott
Aug 16, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A great account of his wartime experiences. It's a good thing that he was able to get a job as a War Correspondent with the Stars & Stripes, because if he hadn't been able to pull off that minor miracle, I think he would have been shot for desertion. Not because he was a coward, but because he had a problem with authority and did pretty much what he wanted to do.
Megargee
Sep 28, 2013 Megargee rated it it was amazing
Andy Rooney's personal memoir of WW II which he covered as am enlisted man writing for Stars and Stripes. Like his fellow journalist, Bill Mauldin, Rooney describes the war from the soldier and airman's rather than the general or strategist's point of view. In the process Rooney also describes his development into the sardonic journalist we remember from 60 Minutes.
Thomas Nevins
Feb 03, 2011 Thomas Nevins rated it really liked it
interesting story of andy as a sort of privileged your man lucking out in getting a press position in ww2 and his stories of the bombers flying out of england and their crews and of france and his travel thru europe covering the war.....certainly opinionated, but he does not conceal that, and an interesting read....
Zelene Lovitt
Feb 18, 2013 Zelene Lovitt rated it really liked it
Andy Rooney is now gone but his gruff spirit and rapier thoughts remain. I was surprised by how interesting reading his exploits were during the war and was actually disappointed when, with the end of the war, the book came to a close. Hard to believe he was just a kid back then.
Emanuella
May 24, 2007 Emanuella rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in history
Shelves: non-fiction
This is Andy Rooney, the 60-Minutes guy, and his remembrances of his war correspondence in World War II. It's an easy read and Rooney's satirical sense of humor lightens up some of his darker memories of the war.
DaveK
Feb 11, 2016 DaveK rated it it was amazing
A great read about someone I really didn't know much about besides his grumpy segments on 60 minutes. Book has great insight on what kind of person Andy was during the war and who he was after it. Also, interesting to hear about WWII from a journalists point of view.
Trish
Apr 18, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing
This first hand account of Andy Rooney's experience as a young man in war as a reporter was interesting and honest. I could hear Rooney as if he were reading the story to me. It was brutal honest and at times humorous and unmistakably Andy Rooney.
Jerome
Jun 30, 2015 Jerome rated it liked it
This is a rather short quick read of the memories of the well known Andy Rooney when he was a war correspondent in WW2.
There is some interesting information here for those that have any interest in that era. But a lot of it is just ramblings about his fellow correspondents.
Jim Mcnulty
Mar 14, 2013 Jim Mcnulty rated it liked it
This is an interesting personal perspective on the experiences of Andy Rooney as a reporter for Stars and Stripes during WWII. His humor and sarcasm seasons some of his observations. If you are one of his fans you will enjoy this memoir.
Chris
May 27, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
I've always liked Andy Rooney but had now idea that he had been in WWII. His sense of humor and common sense run throughout this memoir, but the inevitable detail about the War felt tedious at times.
  • Up Front
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches
  • Ernie Pyle's War: America's Eyewitness to World War II
  • Fighter Boys
  • Front Row at the White House : My Life and Times
  • The Memoirs of Field Marshal Montgomery: Of Alamein, K.G.
  • Partners in Command: George Marshall & Dwight Eisenhower in War & Peace
  • A Reporter's Life
  • Fire and Fury: The Allied Bombing of Germany, 1942-1945
  • Patton and Rommel: Men of War in the Twentieth Century
  • Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot
  • No Man's Land: 1918, the Last Year of the Great War
Andrew Aitken "Andy" Rooney was an American radio and television writer. He became most famous as a humorist and commentator with his weekly broadcast A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney, a part of the CBS news program 60 Minutes from 1978 to 2011.
More about Andy Rooney...

“One question in my mind, which I hardly dare mention in public, is whether patriotism has, overall, been a force for good or evil in the world. Patriotism is rampant in war and there are some good things about it. Just as self-respect and pride bring out the best in an individual, pride in family, pride in teammates, pride in hometown bring out the best in groups of people. War brings out the kind of pride in country that encourages its citizens in the direction of excellence and it encourages them to be ready to die for it. At no time do people work so well together to achieve the same goal as they do in wartime. Maybe that's enough to make patriotism eligible to be considered a virtue. If only I could get out of my mind the most patriotic people who ever lived, the Nazi Germans.” 48 likes