Start by marking “Boomerang Bride” as Want to Read:
Boomerang Bride

Boomerang Bride

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,728 ratings  ·  279 reviews
Matilda Geoffrey had risked it all for love.

She'd left Australia to be with Barry—the man who had swept her off her virtual feet. Now, wearing a wedding dress, she's alone on Main Street in small-town Wisconsin, and things aren't working out exactly as planned….

In town for his annual family visit, Marc Olsen had never seen a bride quit
Published September 24th 2013 by Carina Press (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Boomerang Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boomerang Bride

Steffi

This is a nice and mellow romance story of an Australian woman who follows her heart and wants to surprise her American fiancé. She spontaneously travels to the small town, Hobin in Wisconsin. Matilda wants to follow in the footsteps of her grandma who followed her husband to another country as well. Well, there is no happy-ending for Matilda. At least not with Barry, her American fiancé who is actually a con man and stripped Matilda of all her money.

Marc Olsen, a successful architect
Jess
I don't actually remember why I have this book - was it one of the weekly free Nook selections? Probably. If I paid money for it, I'm going to be upset.

The premise sounded great, if a little bit over the top: a young Aussie arrives in a random small town in Wisconsin, thinking she's going to marry her Internet boyfriend. Turns out he scammed her out of her life savings, and now she's stranded with nothing but a couple of suitcases and a visa. She'll begin the classic adversarial relationship wi
Jacqueline
Decent but that's about it. It was pretty bland all in all. I think that it lacked any real tension. It was too long for the amount of story that there actually was to tell. The relationship was fairly calm and everyone was just so nice. I actually enjoyed the small side story of his sister who had breast cancer and her cop boyfriend a bit better than the main story. I just had a hard time caring about the characters. I got a bit tired of everyone remarking all the time on differences between th ...more
Sharreb
This was a mild comfortable read. You follow the story of Mathilda the Aussie bride who travelled to Wisconsin. She did not meet her intended fiance who was a fraud but instead found the Viking Marc.
The first 2 chapter was great; Ms Lowe painted the image of Mathilda's plight and you imagined her in her ill fit wedding dress and cake in her arms. Then between 2/5 to 3/5th of the book my interest waned. I seriously wanted to read something else. I persisted and was rewarded in the last 2/5th of
Shh I'm reading!
I just finished reading Love By Design which had a Aussie transplant and then found myself reading another one. Lowe really lays it on thick with intro to Aussie speak and the culture 101 lesson. Combined with the sheer stupidity of a woman who meets a guy online and gives him all her money and the overabundance of pride she has after the fact, I really couldn't like her. Lori and Brian were far more interesting and I wish their romance had been the primary focus of the story.
Jenny Schwartz
A lovely read. Emotional yet balanced with humour. A love story, but also a story of family.

As an Aussie, I smiled at the portrayal of Americans reacting to Aussie slang. Nope, when I put the shopping in the boot, I'm not stashing it in my shoe. I'm talking the rear end of a car: "Boot" is our word for "trunk".
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Boomerang Bride is a fun romance novel with an entertaining story and appealing characters. I enjoyed the chemistry between Tildy and Marc, the banter provides lighthearted humour and the spark between them is obvious from their first meeting.

Tildy's straight talking attitude is appealing. I liked her sense of humour, her optimistic nature and willingness to stand on her own two feet. She isn't afraid to call Marc on his less admirable traits or create herself a job with little more than a half
Perceptive
Winner of the 2012 RITA for Best Contemporary Romance.

Which really makes me curious about the health of the contemporary romance genre.

Not that this is a bad book. Far from it. It's charming and fun. I might've even had a tear or two in my eye at the big confrontation scene. Matilda is a terrific heroine, full of chutzpah and wit. As a former expat myself, I enjoyed Matilda's cultural confusion. Marc is appealing and very sexy. The small Wisconsin town setting is beautifully drawn, and the secon
Dianne
Boomerang Bride - Lowe, Fiona

This was one of the best contemporary romances that I have read in a while. I loved the premise of an abandoned bride from Australia meeting up with the one man that just cannot handle the emotional turmoil that family and friends bring. A man who chooses to throw money at problems instead of getting emotionally involved.

When Matilda is dumped in a small Wisconsin town during Thanksgiving week by a conman whom she thought was her fiancé, Marc, a handsome, rich "Vikin
Paige
***Detailed Review***

I really enjoyed BOOMERANG BRIDE. I’m really glad that I made it a priority to read it and not let if fall into my ever growing TBR pile.

Although a bit lengthy, BOOMERANG BRIDE offers so many different atmospheres to pull on your heart. From feeling horrible for Matilda Geoffrey over the scam that leaves her penniless in a new country, to Marc Olsen who had to grow up too fast and hasn’t since made peace with it, to his sister Lori who’s facing an illness and relearning to
Maldivianbookreviewer
Boomerang Bride which is set to release on the 8th of this month is my first Fiona Lowe and it definitely is not going to be my last. I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that Carina Press releases some of the best romances all year round as each and every story apart from a very select few have always been immensely satisfying for me and Boomerang Bride is no exception to that rule.

Boomerang Bride kicks off when 34 year old Marc Olsen comes home to Hobin, Wisconsin for his annual Thanksgiving v
Kat at Book Thingo
The story has its heart in the right place, but the conflicts are just not strong enough to sustain the story. What conflicts there are also diminish the characters.

Mark’s lingering resentment of the five years he spent supporting his family doesn’t ring true. Meanwhile, Matilda prefers to be destitute rather than pursue the scammer who steals her inheritance. Her gullibility is bordering on TSTL (too stupid to live).

More promising is the secondary romance between Mark’s sister Lori and her ex-
Cherise
Matilda leaves her home in Australia and arrives in Wisconsin to surprise her fiancé wearing her Grandmother’s ill fitted wedding gown and carrying the family wedding cake. The trouble is suddenly her fiancé seems to be MIA, and she’s stranded with no money. Enter Marc. He’s home for a short family visit when he spots the bride and he swoops in to rescue her.

When I first read the cover blurb of this book, I was equally intrigued and leery. It had the potential to be either really great or terrib
Chloe
An enjoyable easy read, full of humour and romance. As always, I loved the Aussie twist, the humorous slang misunderstandings that confuse the characters.

Tildy is an Aussie girl. She has flown halfway around the world to be with her fiancé who she met on the internet. Arriving in wedding attire, she discovers that Barry (if that's his real name) is not who she thought he was. He has taken her heart ... and all her life savings. But, Tildy is gutsy and won't go down without a battle.

A feel good
Marnie
So far a cute read, I have been reading this on and off for a few days, because I have it downloaded on my phone for when I forget to bring something to read with me.

So I finished the ebook. A cute romance about an Australian woman who comes to the states to marry the man that she gave everything to. Only to find that he was a fraud and took everything she had except maybe her dignity. While she picks up the pieces and tries to regain her finances and heal her humility, she finds true love in t
Zel Polev
Raynell
Rather disappointed with the book, considering it was a RITA winner and all. I had such high hopes. Luckily, I got it on sale so am not too upset I spent money on it.

No need for synopsis, I think. I'll just get straight to the point. The main romances sucks. The heroine (Tildy) is a Mary Sue, who is supposedly ugly, but perfect in every other way. She cooks! She charms sullen teenagers! Only she has the power to give the super-hot hero inconvenient erections. She can do bloody everything well ex
Eileen
When I read the premise it intrigued me. When a woman is wearing a wedding gown and holding a cake is standing on the street peeking into a store window, it makes you wonder what she is doing. Marc Olsen was definitely intrigued. Although it was a flimsy beginning with her being duped, in this day and age, I liked this story of a misplaced transplant Aussie stepping into American culture, and starting over in Hobin, WI.
Marc ran away from Hobin as soon as he could after taking of his family. His
Harlequin Books
"With the perfect mixture of romance, sadness and Australian/American wise-cracking, Boomerang Bride is one of the best romance novels this reviewer has read in a long time. Top Pick" RT Book Reviews

Fiona Lowe has an excerpt of Chapter One on her website.
Here> http://www.fionalowe.com/Boomerang%20...
Carla Hostetter
You just have to admire an author who will take on a character from an entirely different country and have her come across as real. The same might be said of the northern Wisconsin setting over a period of months. Feisty Tildy leaves Australia with her grandmother's wedding dress and a booze soaked wedding cake to wed a man she thinks she will start a new life with. Instead, she finds herself made penniless by a scam and is trapped in the elaborate gown she wore to surprise her groom. Along come ...more
Juanita Kees
Boomerang Bride is a delightfully witty read that you won't want to put down. Fiona Lowe captures the Australian spirit perfectly and matches it to American humour with a style and flair that will keep you smiling all the way through.

Read the full review here:
Juliana
Nothing horrible about the book. The writing is good and there were several very funny lines, but I'm not feeling it right now for some reason. So many other (hopefully) good books to read, that I don't feel like dragging myself through this and am putting it on hold for now.
(October 11, 2011)
A.J. Goode
I really enjoyed this, especially the way the author managed to write the dialogue so well that I actually heard the Australian accent in my mind while reading it. The description of the cold, cold weather was perfect too.

I gave it four stars instead of five because there were a few bits that sort of stretched my belief a bit too far -- like the liquor-filled wedding cake that stayed good for months and months and months on end. And because I found it a bit disorienting to have chapters told fro
Leslye
I was actually far more interested in the secondary love story than the main one. I did like the Australian differences, although at a certain point it got a bit annoying, like she was trying to prove she knew a LOT about Australia. As for the hero and heroine ... yawn.
Nicola Marsh
A heart-warming small town contemporary romance.

Being Australian, I loved the Aussie heroine, Tildy, and her cultural clashes with the American hero Marc. Funny!

And the secondary characters complimented the story beautifully.

Enjoyable.
Angel
This book featured a nice town where everyone was nice, which made for a nice story. Overall I liked the concept of the story. Bride, Mathilda, who travelled abroad to surprise her online fiancee, only to find out that she'd been ripped off. Here was were Marc stepped in and filled the role of protector. Although Mathilda and Marc had interesting pasts, in the present they weren't all that exciting. Instead I found myself more leaning towards Marc's sister's part in the book.

Overall was there n
Jessa
Ugh. I got this book as a Free Friday read from Barnes and Noble, and was severely disappointed that I wasted my time. The basis of any good romance is the main couple, and I could not like the 'hero' or the 'heroine'. Moving on.
Lauren Murphy

Read my discussion review post of Boomerang Bride with fellow Aussie blogger Marg from the Intrepid Reader.

Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

This book was a contemporary romance with a quirky twist. There were a few times at the beginning where the heroine was a bit annoying but her moxy, humour and kindness carried the day.
This was a charming book with some nice humor and sweet romance. I can see why it won a RITA. I skipped the epilogue.
  • Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)
  • Ask Adam (Tanner Siblings, #2)
  • All They Need
  • By Design
  • Head To Head (Claire Morgan #1)
  • Lady Gone Bad (Gone Bad, #1)
  • Turn It Up (Turn It Up, #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • The Demi-Monde: Winter (The Demi-Monde Saga, #1)
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • Don't Look Back
  • Spinning
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Stripped Bare (Joker's Wild, #3)
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Sacred Treason (Clarenceux, #1)
  • Man Law (Private Protectors, #2)
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
Multi published with Berkley, Carina Press and Harlequin, Fiona's been the recipient of a RITA and a R*BY (Australian Romantic Book of the Year) for her novel, Boomerang Bride. She's also won a CataRomance Reviewer’s Award and been nominated for a RT Reviewers' Choice Award & an Australian Romance Readers Award. Her current Medicine River series is set in Montana, She loves creating characters ...more
More about Fiona Lowe...
Saved By The Bride (Wedding Fever, #1) Montana Actually (Medicine River, #1) Picture Perfect Wedding (Wedding Fever, #2) Newborn Baby For Christmas Runaway Groom (Wedding Fever, #3)