Start by marking “Boomerang Bride” as Want to Read:
Boomerang Bride

Boomerang Bride

3.52  ·  Rating Details ·  1,926 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
Matilda Geoffrey had risked it all for love.

She'd left Australia to be with Barry—the man who had swept her off her virtual feet. Now, wearing a wedding dress, she's alone on Main Street in small-town Wisconsin, and things aren't working out exactly as planned….

In town for his annual family visit, Marc Olsen had never seen a bride quite like Matilda—staring into a storef
Published September 24th 2013 by Carina Press (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Boomerang Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boomerang Bride

Jess
Aug 29, 2013 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I don't actually remember why I have this book - was it one of the weekly free Nook selections? Probably. If I paid money for it, I'm going to be upset.

The premise sounded great, if a little bit over the top: a young Aussie arrives in a random small town in Wisconsin, thinking she's going to marry her Internet boyfriend. Turns out he scammed her out of her life savings, and now she's stranded with nothing but a couple of suitcases and a visa. She'll begin the classic adversarial relationship wi
Jacqueline
Decent but that's about it. It was pretty bland all in all. I think that it lacked any real tension. It was too long for the amount of story that there actually was to tell. The relationship was fairly calm and everyone was just so nice. I actually enjoyed the small side story of his sister who had breast cancer and her cop boyfriend a bit better than the main story. I just had a hard time caring about the characters. I got a bit tired of everyone remarking all the time on differences between th ...more
Sharreb
This was a mild comfortable read. You follow the story of Mathilda the Aussie bride who travelled to Wisconsin. She did not meet her intended fiance who was a fraud but instead found the Viking Marc.
The first 2 chapter was great; Ms Lowe painted the image of Mathilda's plight and you imagined her in her ill fit wedding dress and cake in her arms. Then between 2/5 to 3/5th of the book my interest waned. I seriously wanted to read something else. I persisted and was rewarded in the last 2/5th of
Shh I'm reading!
I just finished reading Love By Design which had a Aussie transplant and then found myself reading another one. Lowe really lays it on thick with intro to Aussie speak and the culture 101 lesson. Combined with the sheer stupidity of a woman who meets a guy online and gives him all her money and the overabundance of pride she has after the fact, I really couldn't like her. Lori and Brian were far more interesting and I wish their romance had been the primary focus of the story.
Jenny Schwartz
A lovely read. Emotional yet balanced with humour. A love story, but also a story of family.

As an Aussie, I smiled at the portrayal of Americans reacting to Aussie slang. Nope, when I put the shopping in the boot, I'm not stashing it in my shoe. I'm talking the rear end of a car: "Boot" is our word for "trunk".
MBR
Boomerang Bride which is set to release on the 8th of this month is my first Fiona Lowe and it definitely is not going to be my last. I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that Carina Press releases some of the best romances all year round as each and every story apart from a very select few have always been immensely satisfying for me and Boomerang Bride is no exception to that rule.

Boomerang Bride kicks off when 34 year old Marc Olsen comes home to Hobin, Wisconsin for his annual Thanksgiving v
Paige
Feb 08, 2013 Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, nook, 2013-books
***Detailed Review***

I really enjoyed BOOMERANG BRIDE. I’m really glad that I made it a priority to read it and not let if fall into my ever growing TBR pile.

Although a bit lengthy, BOOMERANG BRIDE offers so many different atmospheres to pull on your heart. From feeling horrible for Matilda Geoffrey over the scam that leaves her penniless in a new country, to Marc Olsen who had to grow up too fast and hasn’t since made peace with it, to his sister Lori who’s facing an illness and relearning to
Cherise
Jul 18, 2013 Cherise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matilda leaves her home in Australia and arrives in Wisconsin to surprise her fiancé wearing her Grandmother’s ill fitted wedding gown and carrying the family wedding cake. The trouble is suddenly her fiancé seems to be MIA, and she’s stranded with no money. Enter Marc. He’s home for a short family visit when he spots the bride and he swoops in to rescue her.

When I first read the cover blurb of this book, I was equally intrigued and leery. It had the potential to be either really great or terrib
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Boomerang Bride is a fun romance novel with an entertaining story and appealing characters. I enjoyed the chemistry between Tildy and Marc, the banter provides lighthearted humour and the spark between them is obvious from their first meeting.

Tildy's straight talking attitude is appealing. I liked her sense of humour, her optimistic nature and willingness to stand on her own two feet. She isn't afraid to call Marc on his less admirable traits or create herself a job with little more than a half
Perceptive
Feb 11, 2013 Perceptive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winner of the 2012 RITA for Best Contemporary Romance.

Which really makes me curious about the health of the contemporary romance genre.

Not that this is a bad book. Far from it. It's charming and fun. I might've even had a tear or two in my eye at the big confrontation scene. Matilda is a terrific heroine, full of chutzpah and wit. As a former expat myself, I enjoyed Matilda's cultural confusion. Marc is appealing and very sexy. The small Wisconsin town setting is beautifully drawn, and the secon
Kat at Book Thingo
The story has its heart in the right place, but the conflicts are just not strong enough to sustain the story. What conflicts there are also diminish the characters.

Mark’s lingering resentment of the five years he spent supporting his family doesn’t ring true. Meanwhile, Matilda prefers to be destitute rather than pursue the scammer who steals her inheritance. Her gullibility is bordering on TSTL (too stupid to live).

More promising is the secondary romance between Mark’s sister Lori and her ex-
Marnie
Jul 20, 2013 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
So far a cute read, I have been reading this on and off for a few days, because I have it downloaded on my phone for when I forget to bring something to read with me.

So I finished the ebook. A cute romance about an Australian woman who comes to the states to marry the man that she gave everything to. Only to find that he was a fraud and took everything she had except maybe her dignity. While she picks up the pieces and tries to regain her finances and heal her humility, she finds true love in t
Chloe
Feb 25, 2014 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable easy read, full of humour and romance. As always, I loved the Aussie twist, the humorous slang misunderstandings that confuse the characters.

Tildy is an Aussie girl. She has flown halfway around the world to be with her fiancé who she met on the internet. Arriving in wedding attire, she discovers that Barry (if that's his real name) is not who she thought he was. He has taken her heart ... and all her life savings. But, Tildy is gutsy and won't go down without a battle.

A feel good
Harlequin Books
"With the perfect mixture of romance, sadness and Australian/American wise-cracking, Boomerang Bride is one of the best romance novels this reviewer has read in a long time. Top Pick" RT Book Reviews

Fiona Lowe has an excerpt of Chapter One on her website.
Here> http://www.fionalowe.com/Boomerang%20...
Juanita Kees
Jul 12, 2012 Juanita Kees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boomerang Bride is a delightfully witty read that you won't want to put down. Fiona Lowe captures the Australian spirit perfectly and matches it to American humour with a style and flair that will keep you smiling all the way through.

Read the full review here:
Juliana Philippa
Nothing horrible about the book. The writing is good and there were several very funny lines, but I'm not feeling it right now for some reason. So many other (hopefully) good books to read, that I don't feel like dragging myself through this and am putting it on hold for now.
(October 11, 2011)
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

This book was a contemporary romance with a quirky twist. There were a few times at the beginning where the heroine was a bit annoying but her moxy, humour and kindness carried the day.
Lauren K

Read my discussion review post of Boomerang Bride with fellow Aussie blogger Marg from the Intrepid Reader.

Jessa
Feb 10, 2013 Jessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Ugh. I got this book as a Free Friday read from Barnes and Noble, and was severely disappointed that I wasted my time. The basis of any good romance is the main couple, and I could not like the 'hero' or the 'heroine'. Moving on.
Leslye
Jan 10, 2013 Leslye rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was actually far more interested in the secondary love story than the main one. I did like the Australian differences, although at a certain point it got a bit annoying, like she was trying to prove she knew a LOT about Australia. As for the hero and heroine ... yawn.
Nicola Marsh
A heart-warming small town contemporary romance.

Being Australian, I loved the Aussie heroine, Tildy, and her cultural clashes with the American hero Marc. Funny!

And the secondary characters complimented the story beautifully.

Enjoyable.
Romance Writers of America
2012 RITA finalist in the Contemporary Single Title category
Sep 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a charming book with some nice humor and sweet romance. I can see why it won a RITA. I skipped the epilogue.
Fiona Lowe
May 28, 2012 Fiona Lowe added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with my Australian cover!
Tasha
May 16, 2017 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the whole time i was reading this book i felt like i had read it before but that happens sometimes.. Lovely story
Nicole
Aug 10, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/08/11/...

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: Out Now
How I got this book: NetGalley

Carina Press has been very hit or miss for me with a lot of their stories, but Lowe’s small town romance about an Australian woman who gets stranded in small town Wisconsin was a hit for me.

Matilda can’t believe she has become one of those women who falls for a scam artist. She comes to the US thinking she is finally going to marry her fiance, and finds
Virginia Campbell
"Boomerang Bride", from author Fiona Lowe, is a charming, funny, and touching romance. It was so enjoyable, that when I started reading, I just read it all the way through to the end. I was captivated by the misadventures of misdirected Aussie, and bride without a groom, Matilda Geoffrey. Having lost her heart and her good sense being wooed through a virtual romance with a man named Barry Severson, Tildy decides to pay him a surprise visit in the US when her immigration papers come through quick ...more
Pam
Oct 09, 2012 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marc Olsen is back in Hobin, Wisconsin for his annual Thanksgiving visit with his sisters and mother. He left Hobin as soon as he did not need to be responsible for his siblings. His father died early and his mother needed help with his sisters therefore Marc grew up well before his time. He is a successful architect in New York and helps his family with money if needed. As he arrives on Main Street, he notices a young woman dressed in a wedding gown staring at an empty building holding a cake, ...more
Lesley
Jan 02, 2017 Lesley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is filled with everything I'm not a fan of in books:
Homeless and penniless heroine due to stupidity
Character with life-threatening illness
Annoying and sullen teenager
Small town antics that would drive anyone mad

I really enjoyed the minor storyline of Lori and Brian, but that was about it.

This has been sitting on my Nook for a while - now I know why. I hope I got this free, but it's been so long I don't remember.
Shxrxn
Jan 27, 2013 Shxrxn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chase your dreams.
- Nana
The man of your dreams is out there waiting for you. Keep the faith and follow the dream.
- Nana
Love for her was the greatest hoax and so was the dream.
- Matilda
When a girl had nothing, practicalities had to come first.
- Matilda
Grief can screw with your head.
- Marc

Fate has a funny way of working out. You know, you really should be thanking me.
- Marc
And how did you come to that conclusion? Physical release is also healthy so can I assume you’re my punching bag?
Now,
Madison Mega-Mara...: Boomerange Bride - 6th June Book 2 5 Jun 23, 2013 08:28PM
  • Ask Adam (Tanner Siblings, #2)
  • All They Need (Porter Siblings #1)
  • By Design
  • Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Stripped Bare (Joker's Wild, #3)
  • Turn It Up (Turn It Up, #1)
  • Man Law (Private Protectors, #2)
  • Spinning
  • Promises
  • Head To Head (Claire Morgan #1)
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Lady Gone Bad (Gone Bad, #1)
  • Winter (The Demi-Monde #1)
  • The Sheriff's Daughter
  • The Seduction of Emily
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • The Accidental Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #2)
Multi published, Fiona is very excited about her March 2017 release, DAUGHTER OF MINE, a multi-generational novel about family and the impact of secrets and lies. Previoiusly published with Berkley, Carina Press and Harlequin, Fiona's been the recipient of a RITA and a RuBY (Australian Romantic Book of the Year) for her novel, Boomerang Bride. She's also won a CataRomance Reviewer’s Award and been ...more
More about Fiona Lowe...