Start by marking “A Proposal for Christmas: State Secrets / The Five Days of Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Proposal for Christmas: State Secrets / The Five Days of Christmas

A Proposal for Christmas: State Secrets / The Five Days of Christmas

#1 New York Times bestselling author LINDA LAEL MILLER and Lindsay McKenna present two enthralling stories about the redemptive power of the holiday season

STATE SECRETS

Even to Secret Service agent David Goddard, Holly Llewellyn's life remained a mystery. Tangled in the controversy swirling around them, David wondered, was it her secrets that fascinated him…or Holly hers
Published September 24th 2013 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about A Proposal for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Proposal for Christmas

Stephanie Brush
Mar 06, 2016 Stephanie Brush rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
Both stories were really really good
JoAnne
Jul 15, 2015 JoAnne rated it really liked it
Two books in one - State Secrets by Linda Lael Miller and The Five Days of Christmas by Lindsay McKenna. Both are authors I've read before and enjoyed. I will have to go back and read the other books in the Morgan's Mercenaries series to get the background on all the characters.

Both book were set at Christmas and both were about second chances at love. There were tears and darkness in both as well as happiness and light and both tugged at my emotions.

I know both authors best as historical romanc
Paraphrodite
Dec 30, 2014 Paraphrodite rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2014
State Secrets from Linda Lael Miller is actually more like a full length book than a novella. Normally I don't mind Jack Garrett's narration but with this over-long novella, it became a bit of a drag.

The second novella The Five Days of Christmas by Lindsay McKenna is much more easier to listen to as the story happened over just those five days and is actually part of her Morgan's Mercenaries series.

Overall, this anthology is just an ok listen.
Barb
Dec 28, 2013 Barb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
State Secrets by Linda Lael Miller
Secret Service agent David Goddard never expected to spend his Christmas surveilling the president's cousin. But after weeks of studying her, he finds that Holly Llewellyn's life continues to remain a mystery. Tangled in the controversy swirling around them, David wonders, is it her secrets that fascinate him...or Holly herself?

The Five Days of Christmas by Lindsay McKenna
Morgan Trayhern's toughest mercenary, Colt Hamlin, is looking to lie low this Christmas, bu
Caitlin Ewing
Feb 10, 2016 Caitlin Ewing rated it liked it
I gave the book a three for one reason. The first book-state secrets-was lovely. Easily a four. Quick read, good plot, no problem. The second book-five days of Christmas- was horrible. Terrible. I mean seriously. We spent 80 pages going over the same stupid emotions. There was no plot development. The back story sucked. Just no. And the main character-who's supposed to be a military "merc" (cue eye roll) says things like "that's a gorgeous emerald green velvet dress you're wearing". Come. On. It ...more
Roz ~ My Written Romance
You can read my other reviews at My Written Romance.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by Harlequin via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am not entirely sure what it was that I didn't completely get about this anthology. Originally, I thought it may have been the fact that the stories were republished from many years ago - this isn't always a problem for me, and in this case, luckily it wasn't.

I really appreciate that Linda Lael Miller has made some changes to State Secrets to
Rhonda
Sep 24, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it
4 STARS

State Secrets\The Five Days of Christmas

State Secrets by Linda Lael Miller

In State Secrets the newly elected Pres. third cousin is wanted for treason. His sister Holly a cookbook author just got back from spending two months in Middle East researching for a cookbook. The secret service needs to see if she is a security leak too. David Goddard is being sent undercover to find out.

I like Holly she is worried about her brother. Raising her nephew Toby. Writing her cookbooks, weekly newspaper
Rhonda
Aug 17, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 STARS

State Secrets\The Five Days of Christmas

State Secrets by Linda Lael Miller

Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
A Proposal for Christmas is made up of two books: State Secrets by Linda Lael Miller and The Five Days of Christmas by Lindsay McKenna. State Secrets was much longer story to read (on my Kindle it finishes at 68%). Both novels have a few things in common – they are quick romances that end with a proposal over the Christmas Holiday.

State Secrets-

A sweet romance and yet the romance part just seemed to move a bit fast for my liking. I mean she meets him one day, invites him to dinner the next day
Natalie
Dec 28, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
This book contains two stories and I liked both. First was called "State Secrets" by Linda Leal Miller. About a secret service agent sent to Watch a cookbook author to see if she is in contact with her brother, who sold secrets to people he should not of. But he finds himself falling for her too. That's where the problems begin!
The second story is called "The five days of Christmas" by Lindsey McKenna. This one is about a widow, and a soldier with PDSD, are put together by a match maker friend
Fedora
Jan 07, 2015 Fedora rated it liked it
Two and a half stars.

State Secrets is a reprint from 1985 and it shows, alas. Didn't care for the heroine, Holly, and that really did the story in for me.

The Five Days of Christmas is part of a larger series, and was cute, but not terribly memorable. Fine as a holiday pick-me-up :)
Tammy
STATE SECRETS by Linda Lael Miller was published in 1985. Some updating has been done, such as referring to someone being on Ellen instead of another, older talkshow, but other than that the novella remains as written. Including references to a character who is obviously meant to be read as sympathetic giving secrets to al Qaeda. Bad copyeditor/author/person who let that go, no cookie. I also just plain didn't like the romance because it was another case of woman thinking yes but saying no and m ...more
Teresa Snyder
Oct 17, 2015 Teresa Snyder rated it it was amazing
Two book in one.

State Secrets - 5 stars: It's an oldie from Linda Lael Miller, but still great. It was fun to step back to a time before cell phones or cordless wall phones. It was dated, but good. Loved the ending.

The Five Days of Christmas by Lindsay McKenna: 4 stars: It was a sweet Christmas book with an assumed happily-ever-after ending.
Mary Ann
This romance had a bit of a plot and limited the elaborated love scene to the end of the book. It might prove interesting to check out her books dealing with the military.
Janet
Sep 22, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can't go wrong with this 2 book set featuring Lindsay McKenna and Linda Lael Miller. They both feature strong Alpha males, one a Mercenary and the other a Secret Service Agent. Both stories are well written, I would expect no less from these favorite authors. The characters are multi faceted; rare for this format we get lots of back story and character development. The pacing of both stories is even, the settings well drawn, and the conclusions satisfactory.
This is a great addition to any H
M.
Jun 02, 2015 M. rated it liked it
I really liked the first story but I couldn't get into the second.
Denise Jo
Nov 12, 2013 Denise Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Proposal for Christmas is two books: State Secrets by Linda Lael Miller and The Five Days of Christmas by Lindsay McKenna

State Secrets was the longer of the two books and the best by far. It is a sweet romance between David Goddard the secret service agent and Holly Llewellyn is the presidents 3rd cousin.. It was really good.

The Five Days of Christmas is about Colt Hamlin who needs to decompress from his tours overseas, and Abbie who is a widow. This was a much shorter story and I really didn'
PWRL
Apr 02, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Amber
Dec 27, 2013 Amber rated it it was ok
I have to admit, it's supremely frustrating when old books get new covers... this cover didn't even match the stories :( They were both okay holiday romances... but, I wouldn't rate either one as high as I normally do for the authors. LLM's is almost 30 years old and you can tell she has become a much stronger writer in that time. LM's was good, but there were too many over-explanations happening, in her typical style. Good for borrowing from the library, but I wouldn't spend the money purchasin ...more
Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥
Two stories in one.
State Secrets- it was a good read, however it was somewhat unrealistic. And there was too much going on for me. I felt like I was in the spin cycle of a dryer- being bounced from one thing to another. There was a foodie, a fiancé, a secret agent, a traitor, a motherless boy, a presidental inauguration, an ex-wife...oh my, see what I mean.
I thought the book ended at least twice, but there were still chapters left to read.
Sandy
Jan 06, 2014 Sandy rated it did not like it
I felt like both stories were awkward and slow. Couldn't wait for them to be over.
Shawn
Jan 01, 2014 Shawn rated it it was amazing
This was great book, two stories in one! I loved both of the stories they were so good and both tear jerker so and great holiday spirit stories!
Robina
Sep 14, 2013 Robina rated it liked it
A Proposal for Christmas is a sweet love story whose hero and heroine's turmoil is felt. David and Holly meet under false pretenses and to see David fight to overcome the false starts is at times humorous and other times heartbreaking.
Sandy Forman-Johnson
1st story was awesome...2nd story not so much
Jewett
Oct 27, 2013 Jewett rated it really liked it
This is a fun Christmas read. I know that Christmas love stories are not really great writing, but they are fun at this time of year. Miller does a better job of writing than most and I really enjoyed this book.
Cathleen
Dec 27, 2013 Cathleen rated it liked it
Republished but a nice sweet mix of love and mush!
Alisha
Oct 08, 2013 Alisha rated it liked it
tried to give it 3.5. It was god book didn't know it was re releases of previous books
Tera
Oct 30, 2013 Tera rated it liked it
Not my favorite. I'm pretty sure it was because they were both rushed romances.
Vicky Dierker
Dec 07, 2013 Vicky Dierker rated it it was amazing
The first story is way better than the second in this two for one.
Kade
Oct 13, 2013 Kade rated it it was ok
These were quick short romance novels.
  • White Christmas: Woman Hater\The Humbug Man
  • Long, Tall Christmas
  • This Time Next Year
  • The Gift of Christmas: In the Spirit of...Christmas
  • It's Not Christmas Without You (Holloway, #1)
  • A Last Chance Christmas
  • The Christmas Bouquet (Chesapeake Shores, #11)
  • Holiday at Magnolia Bay (Southern Born Christmas #1; Magnolia Bay #4)
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Courtship (Cooper Creek, #6)
  • Texas K-9 Unit Christmas: Holiday Hero\Rescuing Christmas
  • Christmas Visitor: An Amish Romance
  • The Christmas Wedding Ring
  • Romancing the Holiday (Kent Brothers, #3; Holloway, #3)
  • A Naughty Little Christmas: Cowboys, Cops, and Kilts
  • A Cold Creek Christmas Surprise (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #12)
  • Coming Home for Christmas
  • Upon a Winter's Night (Home Valley, #4)
  • A Highlander Christmas
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...