Start by marking “Dead of Night: Dancers in the Dark / The Devil's Footprints” as Want to Read:
Dead of Night: Dancers in the Dark / The Devil's Footprints

Dead of Night: Dancers in the Dark / The Devil's Footprints (The Southern Vampire Mysteries (short stories and novellas) #2)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  60 reviews
From bestselling author Charlaine Harris and rising star Amanda Stevens come two otherworldly tales sure to haunt readers well after the last page is turned.

Dancers in the Dark

#1 New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris

Layla Rue Le May is no ordinary dancer—her partner, Sean McClendon, is a three-hundred-year-old redheaded vampire. When Layla Rue acquires a st
Published September 24th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dead of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead of Night

Jenn
I thought this was a truly weird pairing. I enjoyed both stories - I love Charlaine Harris's world of vampires and this was a fun new group, and I love murder mysteries - however, I'm not sure why these two were included in the same volume. The Harris story introduced a group of vampires not associated with the Sookie Stackhouse group and was fun and engaging. The Stevens story was intense and spooky, but ultimately not in the same genre. I wavered between 3 and 4 stars, because the stories were ...more
Elizabeth Cherry
I didn't particularly like or dislike the other stories in this book, but I loved Dancers in the Dark by Charlaine Harris. It's an incredibly beautiful and romantic story with characters I'd really like to meet.
This book consists of two stories, Dancers in the Dark by Charlaine Harris and The Devil’s Footprints by Amanda Stevens. Dancers in the Dark is very, very short. It’s only about 120 pages long. The majority of the book is The Devil’s Footprints and is an actually book. The two have nothing in common, no central theme tying them together.

Dancers in the Dark:
I picked up the book because of Charlaine Harris’s name. Her name was in huge font, just a shade smaller than the title, but what you notice
Michelle
Dead of Night contains two different stories from two different authors. It's kinda like the KFC/TacoBell restaurant we have here in town or Subway/Dunkin Donuts I have seen in other places. They're different, but similar. Despite that they are two different stories I think they mesh well and I would love to see more of this from the same authors or different authors. Both stories are definatly 5 stars.

The first story is novella 4.2 written in the Sookie Stackhouse world. The title is Dancers in
Elizabeth
Dead of Night is made up of novellas by urban fantasy giant Charlaine Harris and romance and thriller author Amanda Stevens. This odd pairing combines an uncharacteristically dull paranormal romance by Harris with a slightly spooky suspense story by Stevens. This strange combination is both disappointing and jarring and not one I would recommend to any paranormal romance or urban fantasy fan.
Harris' story, "Dancers in the Dark," is a predictable, formulaic story about - you guessed it - vampires
Kathy
Jessie
I did not understand the pairing of these two stories in this book. Having read many of the short story collections featuring Charlaine Harris, I expected to find an underlying them that tied the stories together. Even though the tie between the stories is not apparent, I still quite enjoyed both stories.

The beginnings of the relationship between Rue, or Layla, and Sean in Dancers in the Dark, is a dark tale spun around a woman trying to hide from past. Rue had been assaulted more than once by
Karen
I hate when they take old stories combine them in a book with a new title and call it.new
Sallee
A novella by Charlaine Harris, Dangerous in the Dark and The Devils Footprints by Amanda Stevens made this shared book, Dead of Night very interesting. I found Charlaine's story a sort of romantic vampire story where the main character finds herself drawn to her vampire dance partner who helps her with a man who had raped and abused her when she was younger.
I found The Devil's Footprints to be very thrilling in that the story reminded of Lisa Jackson's writing as both her and this author get in
Melissa
Dead of Night
Anthology by Charlaine Harris and Amanda Stevens

Dancers in the Dark is a tale from the time of the Sookie Stackhouse era. Vampires have come out and people must interact with them. They treat them as fascinating and tantalizing. But don’t forget that they are scary too.
Rue has secrets to hide and is facing a serious lack of money. Accepting an advertisement for a job, she becomes a dancer for parties. The rich want to see vampires as entertainment. Rue will dance with Sean in orde
Kelly
The first story I wasn't too impressed with. It seemed to move really fast and just when I thought it was getting interesting the ending let me down. It was WAY too quick of an ending, but I get that it was a short story. The basic story line was interesting though. The second story was well written. I creeped myself out reading this book in the dark. I stayed up till 2 a.m. just to finish it. It is a mystery short story and the killer is not your typical killer!! But beware, it gives you gooseb ...more
Carol
Dancers in the Dark is enjoyable. The storyline is fairly predictable. Troubled girl, her vampire lover, danger, but I can't say much more. It's a romantic mystery. I enjoyed the characters. It was short.

The Devil's Footprint is a mystery. I can't say too much about it without ruining it, but it was very engrossing. For me, it was scary almost to the horror point, but still within my tolerance level.

I think people are right in saying the stories don't have much in common, but that doesn't bother
Amanda
I only read Dancers in the Dark, but I loved it! I love that Charlaine Harris throws in people and places from her other series in her books, and this one is no different. The main character in this story, Rue, has a similar past to Lily Bard's, but she's definitely not the same kind of girl. Sean is a vampire, like the vampires in the Sookie series, but we get to see some of the story from his point of view. I wish I could read more about Rue and Sean.
Kellie
Marsha
Here is a shameless effort by a publisher to repackage a previously published Charlaine Harris story from 2004 with a previously published novel by Amanda Stevens from 2008 and make the combination appear to be a new book (which technically it is). I should be angry, or feel cheated. Yes, I fell for the ruse but in the process discovered Amanda Stevens. The name Charlaine Harris made me buy the book, and fortunately I had not read her story here before, but I really liked the Stevens novel (whic ...more
Alison S
Two very good stories.
I really like Charlaine Harris, so was expecting to enjoy "Dancers in the Dark" and did, even if I felt like I had read parts of this story already, possibly as a side story in one of her other books.

As for Amanda Stevens, I didn't have any expectations. Was a bit unsure of the story when I started, and it was very strange, but god so into it that even with how dark it was I couldn't have put it sown with out knowing the outcome. I had to know who it was that was basically
Mia Robinson
I have never read anything by Amanda Stevens but after reading the Devil's Footprints I am going to read anything I can find. The story was amazing. I couldn't put it down. Dancers in the Dark was amazing as well
Mb_presents
just read Harris's part of the book and liked it. I wouldn't have minded if the story had been longer. or in other words I was surprised and a little disappointed when I turned the page and realized that's it..
Wenonah
Loved the quick Story by C Harris but the second one left me wanting a better ending. It would be great if it was a series book but it isn't so I'm left hanging.
Lisa Johnson
Second story

The first story was very predictable and anticlimactic. The second story took a little while to get there, but once the suspense started, it was non-stop. The Devil's Footprints was very entertaining with a delightful twist.
Kelly Lowry
The second story was great! It was scary and had a great ending. I removed some points because the first story was just another vampire story. Nothing stands out about it.
Cheryl
I enjoyed this, even though it is just a one story version of the Southern Vampire mysteries. Quick reading
Jenni Schell
Dancers in the Dark was a great quick read. I have never had a complaint about anything written by Charlaine Harris and this tale is no exception. In meeting a new cast of vampires, I was a little worried that I wouldn't like them as much as the ones from the Sookie Stackhouse traditional tale. How wrong I was. The characters are great and the story is fantastic. One again a great book.

The Devil's Footprint was a huge surprise to me. I LOVED IT. Once I started reading it I didn't stop until I w
I really enjoyed both of these books. Dancers in the Dark was a good short story of a vampire romance with similarities to the Sookie Stackhouse books as for as the way the world viewed vampires. The story itself was really good. The Devil's Footprints was a very very good book. It held all the suspense a person could want. I was enthralled right up until the end. Usually I can figure out most of the details behind the plot, but this one really had me thinking hard to put the pieces of the puzzl ...more
Sheridan
Harris novella was short and lackluster. Stevens' wasn't worth reading.
Allison
The first story I thought was interesting. I do wish there was more of that story. I just couldn't get into the second story, it just didn't interest me.
Couldn't really get into the Charlaine Harris story, didn't really care to.
Jessica ❁ at Rabid Reads ❁ is reading Kate Daniels AGAIN
Sookie 4.2

Non-Sookie story about vampire/human dancing partners who become . . . more than partners *winks*
Carol
Loved the stories, but I'm unsure why they were in the same book.
Hf
Harris 3.0/Stevens 5.0
Loved, loved, loved Devil's Footprints!
  • Cat in an Alien X-Ray (Midnight Louie #25)
  • Darlings of Urban Fantasy
  • Literally Murder (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • The Wolfe Widow (Book Collector Mystery #3)
  • Home for the Haunting (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #4)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)
  • Heard It Through the Grapevine
  • Death, Taxes, and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers (Tara Holloway, #5)
  • The Names of Our Tears: An Amish-Country Mystery
  • One Potion in the Grave ( A Magic Potion Mystery #2)
  • Lighthearted Lust: Three Not So Serious Tales (Wyndham Werewolf, #2.5)
  • Murder of a Needled Knitter (A Scumble River Mystery, #17)
  • Darlings of Darkness
  • The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)
  • Gossamer Ghost (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #12)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly: A Pru Marlowe Mystery
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • Topped Chef   (Key West Food Critic Mystery #3)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

The Southern Vampire Mysteries (short stories and novellas) (9 books)
  • Fairy Dust (Sookie Stackhouse, #4.1)
  • Dancers in the Dark
  • One Word Answer (Sookie Stackhouse, #5.1)
  • Dracula Night (Sookie Stackhouse #4.3)
  • Gift Wrap (Sookie Stackhouse 8.1)
  • Lucky (Sookie Stackhouse 7.1)
  • A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #4.1, #4.3, #5.1, #7.1, #8.1)
  • A Very Vampire Christmas (Sookie Stackhouse, #10.1)
  • Playing Possum
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“Too many roads leading him back to a woman whose past frightened him almost as much as it intrigued him.” 2 likes