Start by marking “Dead of Night: Dancers in the Dark / The Devil's Footprints” as Want to Read:
Dead of Night: Dancers in the Dark / The Devil's Footprints

Dead of Night: Dancers in the Dark / The Devil's Footprints (The Southern Vampire Mysteries (short stories and novellas) #2)

From bestselling author Charlaine Harris and rising star Amanda Stevens come two otherworldly tales sure to haunt readers well after the last page is turned.

Dancers in the Dark

#1 New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris

Layla Rue Le May is no ordinary dancer—her partner, Sean McClendon, is a three-hundred-year-old redheaded vampire. When Layla Rue acquires a st
Published September 24th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dead of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead of Night

Jenn
Nov 02, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it
I thought this was a truly weird pairing. I enjoyed both stories - I love Charlaine Harris's world of vampires and this was a fun new group, and I love murder mysteries - however, I'm not sure why these two were included in the same volume. The Harris story introduced a group of vampires not associated with the Sookie Stackhouse group and was fun and engaging. The Stevens story was intense and spooky, but ultimately not in the same genre. I wavered between 3 and 4 stars, because the stories were ...more
Elizabeth Cherry
Aug 23, 2013 Elizabeth Cherry rated it it was amazing
I didn't particularly like or dislike the other stories in this book, but I loved Dancers in the Dark by Charlaine Harris. It's an incredibly beautiful and romantic story with characters I'd really like to meet.
Apr 07, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book consists of two stories, Dancers in the Dark by Charlaine Harris and The Devil’s Footprints by Amanda Stevens. Dancers in the Dark is very, very short. It’s only about 120 pages long. The majority of the book is The Devil’s Footprints and is an actually book. The two have nothing in common, no central theme tying them together.

Dancers in the Dark:
I picked up the book because of Charlaine Harris’s name. Her name was in huge font, just a shade smaller than the title, but what you notice
Michelle
Mar 23, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Dead of Night contains two different stories from two different authors. It's kinda like the KFC/TacoBell restaurant we have here in town or Subway/Dunkin Donuts I have seen in other places. They're different, but similar. Despite that they are two different stories I think they mesh well and I would love to see more of this from the same authors or different authors. Both stories are definatly 5 stars.

The first story is novella 4.2 written in the Sookie Stackhouse world. The title is Dancers in
MB (What she read)
3.5 stars for Charlaine Harris' "Dead in the Dark".
This was a great novella set pre-Sookie when vampires don't have quite the power or prestige they will come to have. Rue was a great strong/enduring character and has my respect. The villain was truly villainous. This has strong horrorific elements (some off the page) so be warned. This was quite well done, and reminds me how strong a writer Harris is. I wish she'd do more non-series works like this.

No rating - I skimmed "The Devil's Footprints
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Sookie 4.2

Non-Sookie story about vampire/human dancing partners who become . . . more than partners *winks*
Karen
Oct 05, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok
I hate when they take old stories combine them in a book with a new title and call it.new
Kelly
Mar 25, 2017 Kelly rated it really liked it
I enjoyed both of the stories in the book but The Devil's Footprints by Amanda Stevens was riveting. The psychological mixed with the supernatural made for a story that was very hard to put down. I highly recommend this read!!!
Epicbookaddict
May 07, 2017 Epicbookaddict rated it liked it
Fun read, somewhat predictable but entertaining and fast paced.
Melissa
Dec 22, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Dead of Night
Anthology by Charlaine Harris and Amanda Stevens

Dancers in the Dark is a tale from the time of the Sookie Stackhouse era. Vampires have come out and people must interact with them. They treat them as fascinating and tantalizing. But don’t forget that they are scary too.
Rue has secrets to hide and is facing a serious lack of money. Accepting an advertisement for a job, she becomes a dancer for parties. The rich want to see vampires as entertainment. Rue will dance with Sean in orde
Jessie
Jan 01, 2014 Jessie rated it it was amazing
I did not understand the pairing of these two stories in this book. Having read many of the short story collections featuring Charlaine Harris, I expected to find an underlying them that tied the stories together. Even though the tie between the stories is not apparent, I still quite enjoyed both stories.

The beginnings of the relationship between Rue, or Layla, and Sean in Dancers in the Dark, is a dark tale spun around a woman trying to hide from past. Rue had been assaulted more than once by
Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2014 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Dead of Night is made up of novellas by urban fantasy giant Charlaine Harris and romance and thriller author Amanda Stevens. This odd pairing combines an uncharacteristically dull paranormal romance by Harris with a slightly spooky suspense story by Stevens. This strange combination is both disappointing and jarring and not one I would recommend to any paranormal romance or urban fantasy fan.
Harris' story, "Dancers in the Dark," is a predictable, formulaic story about - you guessed it - vampires
Kimberly L.
Jun 23, 2016 Kimberly L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is it with the low reviews!!! Two great stories by two great Author's!!

OMG, people are so goofy!, just because they thought the whole book was by Charlaine Harris??? You give it 2 or 3 stars??! I thought BOTH stories were incredible and was thrilled that not one but two great Authors had gotten together in ONE book! Amanda Stevens is fantastic in her own right, she has an amazing series, The Graveyard Queen, that is sooo good and I'm waiting on the next book in that series as we speak! I wa
Biana
Sep 22, 2015 Biana rated it really liked it
I got this book because I like Charlaine Harris. Turns out, she wrote a short story that was only 1/3 of the book. The rest was a story from Amanda Stevens, an author I've never heard of. It really felt like bait and switch and I was seriously disgruntled. But I didn't have anything else to read and I thought that maybe if Ms. Harris liked her enough to help advertise, I could give it a shot.

Ms. Harris's story was one of vampires. She's known for her Sookie Stackhouse series which included vampi
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
Two very good stories.
I really like Charlaine Harris, so was expecting to enjoy "Dancers in the Dark" and did, even if I felt like I had read parts of this story already, possibly as a side story in one of her other books.

As for Amanda Stevens, I didn't have any expectations. Was a bit unsure of the story when I started, and it was very strange, but god so into it that even with how dark it was I couldn't have put it sown with out knowing the outcome. I had to know who it was that was basically
Kathy
Oct 27, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Sallee
Jun 03, 2014 Sallee rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A novella by Charlaine Harris, Dangerous in the Dark and The Devils Footprints by Amanda Stevens made this shared book, Dead of Night very interesting. I found Charlaine's story a sort of romantic vampire story where the main character finds herself drawn to her vampire dance partner who helps her with a man who had raped and abused her when she was younger.
I found The Devil's Footprints to be very thrilling in that the story reminded of Lisa Jackson's writing as both her and this author get in
Jenni Schell
Aug 12, 2013 Jenni Schell rated it it was amazing
Dancers in the Dark was a great quick read. I have never had a complaint about anything written by Charlaine Harris and this tale is no exception. In meeting a new cast of vampires, I was a little worried that I wouldn't like them as much as the ones from the Sookie Stackhouse traditional tale. How wrong I was. The characters are great and the story is fantastic. One again a great book.

The Devil's Footprint was a huge surprise to me. I LOVED IT. Once I started reading it I didn't stop until I w
Sep 25, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed both of these books. Dancers in the Dark was a good short story of a vampire romance with similarities to the Sookie Stackhouse books as for as the way the world viewed vampires. The story itself was really good. The Devil's Footprints was a very very good book. It held all the suspense a person could want. I was enthralled right up until the end. Usually I can figure out most of the details behind the plot, but this one really had me thinking hard to put the pieces of the puzzl ...more
Kelly
Mar 18, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
The first story I wasn't too impressed with. It seemed to move really fast and just when I thought it was getting interesting the ending let me down. It was WAY too quick of an ending, but I get that it was a short story. The basic story line was interesting though. The second story was well written. I creeped myself out reading this book in the dark. I stayed up till 2 a.m. just to finish it. It is a mystery short story and the killer is not your typical killer!! But beware, it gives you gooseb ...more
Sharon Gallup
loved the book. first time i read a two in one book by two different authors.
the first dead of night by charlaine Harris at first i thought oh heavens another vampire story but it spell bound me to the end. it had twists that i never expected . the second story by Amanda Stevens , the devil's footprints , keep me right on my toes. i love the way she takes history, adventure, murder, mystery etc and weaves it all in her stories. there is never a dull moment and every time i read one of her books
Kristal
Jul 30, 2016 Kristal rated it really liked it
At first I was a little annoyed that this wasn't just one book. And that the story by Harris is like 125 pages long. Even though Dancers in the Dark' is rather short, I really liked it. I've read a lot of her stuff, but I'm not sure I've ever read anything else including vampires, Sean and Rue. I hope to find more.
The second story, 'The Devil's Footprints,' was surprisingly good. The premise is a little cheesy and in the beginning it was like Amanda Stevens (the writer) was trying way too hard.
Katherine
Nov 17, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I was not impressed with "Dancers in the Dark" but I'm glad that I gave "The Devil's Footprints" a chance.

"Dancers In The Dark" was so forgettable that I don't remember the end anymore.

"The Devil's Footprints" is a story of a young woman named Sarah who's sister was murdered fourteen years before and has yet to be solved. And now, in the present day, it appears that the person who murdered her sister is killing again. The story has supernatural elements, drama, intrigue, and a hell of a twist th
Tiffany Blakley
Jun 04, 2016 Tiffany Blakley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome & Amazing

I don't normally write reviews. However, this book deserves a review. The first half of the book is Dancers in the Dark by Harris. It is typical Harris - Awesome. The second half is The Devil's Footprints by Amanda Stevens, and it was an amazing ride. It's suspenseful, intriguing and a little bit scary. I almost had to stop reading because I was becoming afraid of my own shadow. The story sucked me in though, and I'm glad because I had to know `who done it`. This story will
Carol
Apr 08, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Dancers in the Dark is enjoyable. The storyline is fairly predictable. Troubled girl, her vampire lover, danger, but I can't say much more. It's a romantic mystery. I enjoyed the characters. It was short.

The Devil's Footprint is a mystery. I can't say too much about it without ruining it, but it was very engrossing. For me, it was scary almost to the horror point, but still within my tolerance level.

I think people are right in saying the stories don't have much in common, but that doesn't bother
Okie
I had a hard time liking the main character of Amanda Stevens book, which surprised me, because I really enjoyed her 'Graveyard Queen' series. I felt like the author could have put something in the character's history to help me like her a little bit. I know we're supposed to suspect she's a serial killer, but I found myself grasping at something to like about her. She was just an all around miserable feeling human being who treated everyone around her miserably, and with great mistrust, even th ...more
Kellie
Feb 06, 2014 Kellie rated it liked it
Kristen-Marie Freeman
Aug 10, 2014 Kristen-Marie Freeman rated it really liked it
I found the pairing of these two odd, because their styles are strikingly different, but I liked both authors' works.

Harris' was her usual creative, unique, entertaining read.

Stevens' was complex and intriguing. I figured out 'who done it' before the end, but there were enough red herrings to keep it interesting. It was a little gruesome for my taste, but the story engaged me enough to not want to put it down.
Holly Badour
Jan 06, 2014 Holly Badour rated it really liked it
There are two stories in the book Dancers in the Dark was horrible I'd give it 1 star the characters were shallow and the plot needed work.
The devil's footprints by Amanda Stevens saved this from being a horrible book. I enjoyed this part of the book. I tried to think who could it be and to the very end I had no idea. Very well written. I'm going to have to pick up another book written by Amanda Stevens.
JoJo
Sep 19, 2013 JoJo rated it really liked it
2 stars- Charlaine Harris- short story "Dancers in the Dark"
Meh nothing special.

4 stars- Amanda Stevens "the devil's footprints"
I loved it! I just wish it didn't take me so long to read it. I had so much school and work that I hardly got to read it. Amanda Stevens really knows how to set up great characters and build great tension and mystery in her work. I can't believe it took me so long to read more of her work. I love her graveyard queen series. A must read!
  • Cat in a Yellow Spotlight (Midnight Louie #26)
  • The Names of Our Tears (Amish-Country Mystery, #8)
  • Lighthearted Lust: Three Not So Serious Tales (Wyndham Werewolf, #2.5)
  • Heard It Through the Grapevine
  • Lady Be Good: a Blackbird Sisters (and Friends) Prequel (Blackbird Sisters Mystery Series, #0.6)
  • Death, Taxes, and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers (Tara Holloway, #5)
  • Mama Sees Stars (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #4)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)
  • The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)
  • Board Stiff (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12)
  • The Wolfe Widow (Book Collector Mystery #3)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #6)
  • Four Summoner's Tales
  • Murder of a Bookstore Babe (Scumble River Mystery, #13)
  • Top Suspense: 13 Classic Stories By 12 Masters Of The Genre
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

The Southern Vampire Mysteries (short stories and novellas) (8 books)
  • Dancers in the Dark
  • One Word Answer (Sookie Stackhouse, #5.1)
  • Gift Wrap (Sookie Stackhouse 8.1)
  • Lucky (Sookie Stackhouse, 7.1)
  • A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #4.1, #4.3, #5.1, #7.1, #8.1)
  • A Very Vampire Christmas (Sookie Stackhouse, #10.1)
  • Playing Possum

“Too many roads leading him back to a woman whose past frightened him almost as much as it intrigued him.” 1 likes
“Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh nor print any marks upon you. Some people interpret the passage to mean that piercings and tattoos are marks of the devil.” 0 likes