Start by marking “Sleep with the Lights On (Brown and de Luca #1)” as Want to Read:
Sleep with the Lights On (Brown and de Luca #1)

Sleep with the Lights On (Brown and de Luca #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  764 ratings  ·  161 reviews
Through the Eyes of a Killer...

Rachel de Luca has found incredible success writing self-help books. But her own blindness and the fact that her troubled brother has gone missing have convinced her that positive thinking is nothing but bull.

Her cynicism wavers when a cornea transplant restores her sight. The new eyes seem to give her new life, until they prove too good to b

Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published September 24th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published August 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep with the Lights On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep with the Lights On

Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:
*eARC Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Maggie Shayne's Sleep With the Lights On was a darkly seductive psychological thriller with a heroine you cannot help but love, a hero that immediate grows on you and who you both feel for and root for, a story that sucks you in immediately and allows you to be utterly immersed in the unfolding arc of the tale, a unique villain that inspires roiling in the gut, and an
Jonetta
The set up
Rachel Mason went blind when she was 12-years old. A chance encounter with Detective Mason Brown led to her receiving his dead brother's corneas. What first seems like an incredible gift turns into a nightmare when Rachel begins having disturbing visions. Mason is keeping a terrible secret about his brother and has a tough choice to make as he realizes there's a connection between the organ donation and Rachel's visions.

What works about this story
Connections between recipients of orga
Charity Costa
*ARC received from Author in exchange for an honest review

I have been a longtime fan of Maggie Shayne and I have had the pleasure of having a social online friendship with her as well, and I thought I knew what to expect from her as an author but that was all blow out of the water when I got my hands on Sleep with the Light On!!!!

I promise there will be no spoilers in this review BUT I cannot promise it won’t be a little lengthy, there is just no way for me to keep it short when this book deserv
Mei
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

WOW!!! What a great book!

I loved, loved Rachel! She's such a great character. I loved her at the beginning, when she was blind, and I loved her after when she got her sight back!

She's incredible! Her joie de vivre is fantastic! One could think that she's bitter because she's so sarcastic, but I didn't felt it that way. I felt that her sarcasm was an expression of her will to live her life fully and completly.

She made me laugh with her inne
Cyndi Delia
I was able to read an ARC e-book of Sleep With the Lights On. At first I wasn't sure if I would like the mixed POV's- heroine Rachel is first person, Mason/the rest of the novel is third person but because the book was not a romance, it worked for me and I was surprised that I liked the mix. I was happy to discover that the upcoming December book by Ms. Shayne also will feature these characters because both characters are deeply flawed and I'm curious to see if things I felt weren't wrapped up w ...more
Steffi

Sleep With The Lights On by Maggie Shayne is a book which transgresses boundaries. It challenges the reader and requires them to open their minds to new ideas. It questions life, the afterlife and the existence of the supernatural.

I wasn’t aware Sleep With The Lights On was part of a series, nor did I know that it would have supernatural elements. This book took me by surprise and it was a delightful one!

Rachel De Luca has been blind since she was a little girl. She never thought she’d
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This was a great beginning to a good romantic suspense story. This first book doesn't really have much in the way of romance but its building up in the background. The suspense element was strong though.

I enjoyed the kids and the dog as secondary characters, they really made it work for me.

If you like Laura Griffin or Leslie Parrish you will probably like this one.
Cindy Reifel
Sep 16, 2013 Cindy Reifel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Cindy by: It was sent to me as an ARC
I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC of this book and I have to tell you that if you love mysteries &/or thrillers, you REALLY need to get this book as soon as it comes out!
I have read and loved Maggie Shayne's books for years. Hers are the types of books that you re and re-read because they are so fascinating and just purely enjoyable.
Sleep With the Lights on is a book about a serial killer, organ donation and the possibilities therein. Having been an RN for 37 years it was even more te
Kathy Martin
This romantic suspense title was heavier on the suspense than the romance. Rachel de Luca lost her sight when she was twelve and now makes her living as an author of self-help books with a positive message. Rachel is really a positive person herself. She is sharp-tongued and rather cranky. When she gets a chance to have a cornea transplant to restore her sight, she is first hesitant. Previous operations had not been successful. This one works remarkably well. At least it does until she starts ha ...more
Yvonne
Awesome suspense/romance (heavier on the suspense). Loved it!
Sue
I won a copy of "Wake To Darkness" by Maggie Shayne through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest, and decided to purchase the first installment in the series, "Sleep With The Lights On". This is my review of "Sleep With The Lights On". This is a psychological thriller, romantic suspense that will have you gripped turning the pages late into the night.

Deep in the Adirondack Mountains in the predawn, a killer had rowed his boat across the lake, to dump a body. Eric had never been right...but to do this?
C.L.
WHOA! What a fresh, original, awesomely badass novel! I was completely sucked into the story from the first page and found myself chuckling at the snarky attitude of the heroine and then swooning at the gruff, yummy police officer. I mean, its not every day you get mowed down by a cop then have to team up with him later. Right?

The settings were so real and I found myself, more than once, thinking "its like she knows my inner me!" The pacing was perfect and I had the most difficult time putting i
Tez
Jan 29, 2014 Tez marked it as dnf
Hadn't read the author's books in years. I liked her thrillers, but not the vampire books. Sleep with the Lights On was available from NetGalley and Edelweiss. Paranormal romantic suspense, hunting a serial killer. So far so good, right?

Context: Rachel de Luca goes blind aged twelve, due to a cornea problem. Since then, she's become a self-help bestselling author. Inspirational, right?

Only Rachel thinks it's "pathetic" that her readers actually believe her wisdom, and that they live their lives
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
I haven't been reading thrillers/mysteries on a regular basis for years now. It seems like they are all the same after awhile and nothing fresh is left to be surprised by. This book didn't necessarily have the freshest premise ever, but it just might have helped rejuvenate my interest in thrillers! Shayne's whole backbone to the book is the idea that evil can live on once its host is dead, through a process like organ donation. The story is about Rachel de Luca who has been blind since she was a ...more
Teresa Bowen
If you love mysteries or are just a Maggie Shayne fan I would recommend this book. Once again Maggie delivers. The idea of organs and parts remembering is believable and makes the story all the more intense. The heroine is a tough as nails blind lady that gets her sight back with unwanted results and the getting the hero to believe her is interesting to follow and she shows a soft side with her dog. The book just flows and you won't want to put it down. I can't wait for the next one Wake to Dark ...more
Tristyn
Eva Millien
The first book in the romantic suspense Brown and de Luca series is an intriguing and mesmerizing read. Rachel de Luca is a successful self help author despite being blind and she can’t believe her good fortune when she’s granted new life with a cornea transplant, but her new eyes prove to be too good to be true when she starts having terrifying visions of brutal murders. Detective Mason Brown is trying to atone for his recently deceased brothers horrific secret in helping Rachel find her missin ...more
Dana Delamar
Solid, well-written romantic suspense, with complex characters and plenty of twists and turns. The heroine, Rachel, is particularly well-drawn and compelling, flaws and all. She's not a saccharine-sweet heroine, nor is she a whiny bitch, and she's definitely not a doormat. She's a real person who's not perfect. I found her believable and I liked her a great deal.

The hero, Mason, is a detective. We get somewhat less insight into him, but he comes across as a normal, average guy--who makes a one
Huda Al-Anbar
Sleep With the Lights On is a psychological thriller that fallows Rachel, a blind best-selling author of many "self-help" books, while her own personal beliefs could not be any more different.

Detective Mason Brown runs over Rachel with his car, then he decides to donate his dead serial-killer brother's corneas to her. What first looks like a heavenly gift, turns into a nightmare when Rachel starts having these nightmares where she is killing people in a brutal manner.

Rachel is one of the best fe
Hbeebti
This was so good. It was hard to put it down. Its RS, but very little on the romantic side. In fact there wasn't any really. And the sex was just mentioned which was okay because the serial killer mystery took all my focus anyway. I loved Rachel, she was witty and so freaking sarcastic that there were many moments that had me cracking up. Its sad when the dog Meryl stole the show though. When was on the scene I couldn't help but smile, she was written that good.

What I wanted to know was why the
Lauren
Sleep With the Lights On
3.5 Stars

Do a person’s memories, tastes and/or psychoses reside in the DNA and can these be transferred to an organ recipient? This is the basis for Maggie Shayne's Sleep With the Lights On, when successful self-help author, Rachel De Luca who has been blind since age 12, receives the corneas of a serial killer and begins experiencing visions related to the murders he committed and it seems is still committing via other donor recipients.

This basic premise is very compell
Shirley
I received Sleep with the Lights On in exchange for a fair and honest review.

4 1/2 Stars... this one was amazing....

This was a book that I knew had me pulled in from the time I started reading the Prologue. I really couldn’t put this one down… for a lot of reasons.

One of the things that kept me reading were the characters themselves. Rachel was such a vivid, ‘in your face’ kind of character. Blind or not, she couldn’t be ignored. I loved her from the beginning. She was strong, smart and took
Kris
4 STARS

Rachel de Luca is a famous self-help author who does not believe in what she preaches. She is sarcastic but in public she must keep up her image of positiveness. Rachel lost her sight at a young age and has honed her other senses. It is these senses that has Rachel looking into her brother, Tommy's disappearance. Tommy may be homeless and an addict but she does not think his disappearance is voluntary.

Detective Mason Brown was having a good until he ran his car into the blind author and
Katerina

Countless years of watching horror movies and reading crime fiction, must have made me immune to the scares of most books of this genre.
I still like to read them, but mainly because I am always fascinated with exploring new uninvestigated sides of the sick and twisted minds of villains.
Sleep with the Lights on reminded me of the movie "Fallen" with Denzel Washington and John Goodman, so the subject of this story was not exactly new to me.
I could figure out quite quickly who the bad guy was...
And
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Sleep with the lights on - and the door open!

I really have only one complaint about this book so I'll just get that out of the way before I start: Fade-to-black sex scenes... Not cool, Shayne. Not cool. I had to sit with my eyes squeezed shut and use my imagination for a bit. Way to make me work for it. Sheesh...

But since that's the only thing I didn't like, I guess I can forgive you. The rewards were a gripping and cleverly written mystery, a slow-forming but deliciously complex romance, some
Erin
Rachel de Luca is an author of self-help books who doesn't take her own advice. She has been blind since she was little, her brother is missing, and she believes there isn't much good in this world. She believes her luck may actually be changing when she receives a cornea transplant. She can see and she is introduced to a whole new world. These new lenses are quite the gift, until she begins to see visions of people being murdered. Detective Mason Brown had just recently lost his brother, and af ...more
Puddlyduck
Sleep With the Lights On kept me on the edge of my seat. As fantastical as the plot was, Shayne created a cast of very real characters. Neither lead was perfect and their very human responses to a spine-chillingly threatening antagonist really raised this book above others of the same genre. Rachel is snarky, independent and but unrelentingly honest with herself. Detective Mason struggles with his own morality, guilt and growing feelings for a potential suspect.

I did not mind guessing the ending
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Sleep with the Lights on is a paranormal thriller. Not much in the romance department and it’s a continuing series which means you are left hanging on many points at the end. The plot isn’t a new one, blind woman receives a cornea transplant and then suddenly starts having visions/nightmares through the eyes of the killer. The main characters are both liars too. I liked them, but the secret Detective Mason Brown chose to keep to himself was highly unethical even if he thought he was doing it for ...more
Mary Brown
Sleep With The Lights On was a great book by Maggie Shayne. I've been reading her books for many years and I haven't read one that I haven't liked. The same is true with her latest psychological suspense thriller. The premise of the book, that a donor recipient is able to feel and remember things from a donor is fantastic and written so as to be believable. The suspense runs throughout the whole book with many twists and turns. Tension also runs thick throughout the story. The characters are wel ...more
Asma
Oct 25, 2014 Asma rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Asma by: Huda Al Anbar
Shelves: audiobooks
Rachel is a blind well-known author who wrote many "self-help" books which she herself didn't believe in. After being run over by Detective Mason Brown, he decides to giver her his dead serial-killer brother's corneas.
The eyes she received weren't a complete bless as she started seeing frightening nightmares of bloody abductions.
I thought the story was well written. I liked most of the characters. However, there was no chemistry between Rachel and Mason and I believe they should have been just
  • Going Twice (Forces of Nature, #2)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • The Stranger You Know (Forensic Instincts #3)
  • No Escape
  • The Betrayed (Krewe of Hunters, #14)
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
  • A White Room
  • Deathscape (Broslin Creek, #2)
  • The Whispers: A Whispers Short Story (The Whispers, #1)
  • Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1)
  • Guilty as Sin
  • Her Last Chance (Her, #2)
  • Nightmares of Caitlin Lockyer (Nightmares, #1)
  • Shades of Grace (The McKinnon Legends, #3)
  • Her Last Whisper (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #3)
  • The Secrets of Mia Danvers (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...
An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5) Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5) The Gingerbread Man Edge of Twilight (Wings in the Night, #10)