Start by marking “The Drifter” as Want to Read:
The Drifter

The Drifter

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  482 ratings  ·  42 reviews
She seeks a home. He seeks redemption. What they find is each other.

Leah Mundy has spent her life dashing from town to town, one step ahead of her father's dreadful reputation. Now, she wants to create a home for herself and build a medical practice in Coupeville, a cozy village nestled amid the majestic isles and mountains of Washington Territory. But her neighbors are l
Published September 24th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Drifter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drifter

Jenny Q
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars

Whidbey Island, 1894. One of the lush, green islands dotting the Pacific Northwest coastline, and home to Coupeville, a sleepy little seaside town. Dr. Leah Mundy, the town physician, awakes in the middle of the night to find a stranger with a gun trained on her, demanding her help. The stranger is Jackson Underhill, a man on the run from a dangerous past, and the patient is Carrie, his childhood sweetheart.

Leah has devoted her life to the study of medicine and caring o
chanceofbooks
A Susan Wiggs story is kind of like ice cream---there really isn't such a thing as a *bad* Wiggs Novel, just varying degrees of delicious. This wasn't my favorite, but it was far from my least favorite as well. I liked the setting and the characters tremendously. The pacing felt a bit slow to me, but by the end I was glad for the time to spend with the characters. I would have liked to see a lot more of the secondary characters.
Kathleen
Fairly predictable story told in 3rd person POV, set on an island off the coast of Washington State in 1894. A female doctor falls in love with the outlaw who holds her at gunpoint to ensure her medical services. This reminded me strongly of The Touch Of Fire, by Linda Howard. The books are similar in other ways, too: In both books the outlaw is innocent and a US Marshall is on his trail. However, there is no paranormal "healing touch" in The Drifter.

Secondaryplot threads: Gender bias, daddy com
LJ
THE DRIFTER - Ex
Wiggs, Susan

He wanted to tell her everything. About the lost years that had changed him from a desperate young boy into a man hardened by life. About the night he'd sold his soul for a woman who wasn't worth the price....

Comes a drifter to a windswept island...

But Jackson Underhill said nothing. After all, he was an outlaw, clearly on the run--reason enough for silence.

The truth was Dr. Leah Mundy scared him. She made him want to trust again, to share his burden. She made him wa
Suzette De
Amazon.com Review provides an excellent summary to this story's plot; no need to rehash here. This story moved at such a good pace and every chapter left you begging for more. Our leading lady is the small town doctor who has a very intelligent head on her shoulders, but at times came across a bit too stubborn. Thank goodness our hero (Jackson Underhill) was so bold and to the point, because he brought out the very best of our leading lady (Leah Mundy, M.D.). I guess being a doctor, and above al ...more
Super
Workaholic doctor heroine with Daddy Issues falls for the hero, a wanted man with a White Knight Complex. Loved the west coast setting, a rarity in a historical that isn't a flat-out western. Felt the number of secondary characters could have been trimmed, but an enjoyable read that I inhaled in a couple of sittings.

Lin Stepp
I like Susan Wiggs books ... and this was an entertaining one set in the late 1800s on an island off the Washington state coast. The main character Leah Munday was a doctor who had taken over her father's practice. It captured well the challenges to a woman being smart, well-educated, and a professional in this era. And Leah had background issues that also contributed to being more alone than she really wanted to. Much of that changed with the entrance of a man on the run who brings new challeng ...more
Marleen
As I was looking for easy readable historical romances awhile ago, I purchased a few of Susan Wiggs’ older used paperbacks. So far I’ve read a few of them and I have to admit that some are a bit disappointing and then some others are satisfying.
So, I had high hopes for The Drifter, and to my enjoyment it started off more promising. This book had thrilling beginning and satisfying ending, but in my opinion it slacked a bit in between. Focussing the story on a female doctor in 1894 was absolutely
Becky
Dr. Leah Mundy is woken up at gunpoint in the middle of the night by a desperate gunman with an entire broken-down boat worth of secrets. Who--or what--is he running from? What is his relationship with Carrie, the desperately sick woman he nearly abducts Leah in order to heal? Why does he make Leah feel things she's never felt before for anyone--even though she desperately tries not to, and what will she do about it? Is it worth it to start a relationship with someone who isn't going to stay? Ju ...more
Bobbi
Seems I read a romance book every January. Perhaps it's a palate cleanser and an easy way to start the new year with a book finished in a day or so.

I found this book just so-so. The plot wasn't too original, in fact in kinda felt like a season of the TV show Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman only set in the Pacific Northwest. The story of Leah and Jackson is rather typically of a romance novel in that they don't communicate worth a darn to each other and they have to work through more pain to get to the
judy
Awesome

great read I recommend you read this book if you like historic romance you 'll like this enjoy your read
Marianne
Like Wiggs books, and this one did not disappoint.
Rosa
This book is full of meaning and powerful reading! <3
Kathryn Bain
If you want to sit down for a quiet day and read a good historical romance, this is the one to read. Cute and funny. Some of it is predictable but so what. It's fun to read.

I thought Ms. Wiggs did a wonderful job of putting the reader in the story. The inner thoughts of the characters drew you in even more.

I'd be willing to be that another Susan Wiggs book is in my future.

Warning: There is some curse words and a couple sexually explicit situations.
Rochelle
First of all, the original description for the paperback on Goodreads gave EVERYTHING away. Stupid spoilers! Luckily, I'm a GR librarian and changed it to conform with the other descriptions with no spoilers.
It was an average kind of book. Pretty slow in the beginning, with even the same quotes from other books "Like lightning, I never strike the same place twice."
Joyce
An easy to read historical romance set in the year1894 on Whidbey Island. Dr. Leah Mundy is a physician awoken in the middle of the night with a gun
pointed In her face and told her services were needed to save a childhood friend. The outlaw Jackson Underhill is desperate when he holds Leah at
gunpoint. Jackson needs her to mend his wounds and realizes she is also capable of healing his soul.
Jeanne
A man on the run tries to kidnap a lady doctor from Oregon coastal island to help his "wife". Ends up having to stay . . . something he didn't know he could do. He settles in, "wife" runs away with another man, drifter and doctor reluctantly fall in love, everyone shows up to ruin everything, but it all works out.

Nice way to make a few hours of your life disappear.
Mariah
This book, completely blew my mind. It was so cute and Romantic full of life and love. This is now one of my favorites. It was just completely Good. Great I should say. A girl living in a mans world, doesn't feel like she belongs, A drifter shows her life, and the people around her help her fall in love. Oh wonderful spins and turns. Amazing Book!
Anusriya
wish I could say something good about this book. I found the storyline completely predictable. could not relate to the main characters at all.. somehow the love story of a doctor and a convicted killer who turns from a dangerous man to a mushy romantic hero doesn't ring true. overall I would give about 2. and that's generous if you ask me
Mary
Not a bad book, just very predictable. A light, heart-warming romance, but I would have liked more depth.
Joy
This is a very good romance story that is not your typical romance. It does have the love/hate relationship in the beginning and the typical woman/man issues that hold them back from loving one another. However, the actual premise around the romance was not typical and was interesting to read.
Lucianne
I just can't get enough of Susan's historical romances. I wish she would write some more, but it seems as if she has moved on to contemporaries (boo). The Drifter is a beautiful love-story. Up there with my faves in historical romance.
Susan
I really like the story, the writing and the characters. I always love Susan Wiggs way of telling a story. The only complaint I have is the explicit sex scenes in it.

Warning: There are three sexually explicit situations.
Cassidy McKay
So torturously delicious. I loved the tension and suspense s Jackson and Leah sparred and fought the attraction they couldn't deny.

Delicious!
Diana
Definitely one of my all time favorite romance books. Much more depth than most. And it takes place in the Pacific Northwest!
Steve
Good and interesting characters. Maybe a little too much sighing and pulsing for my tastes, but still a good read.
Michelle
I loved this book! It may not be on the level of her other books but it was still a 5 star rating!
V.k. Springs
This is a great sweet story, that i have read several times,
a true fairytail romance
  • The Matchmaker (Once Upon A Time, #6)
  • Scandalous Again (Switching Places, #1)
  • Undone
  • Loving Jack (Silhouette Special Edition #499)
  • Expectant Bride
  • Nobody's Darling
  • Dead Even (Dead #3)
  • Kissing Comfort
  • Breathless
  • Anak Rahasia (His Secret Child) - 3 Bayi Untuk 3 Saudara Book 1
  • The Bequest
  • A Scandalous Countess (Malloren, #12)
  • Moonrise
  • The Heart of Thornton Creek (Queensland Chronicles #1)
  • The China Bride (The Bride Trilogy, #2)
  • Husband by the Hour (Silhouette Special Edition, #1099)
  • Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1)
  • Red Roses Mean Love
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...
Just Breathe Summer at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #1) Dockside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #3) The Winter Lodge (Lakeshore Chronicles #2) Table for Five

“It is a great virtue to be needed. Greater, even, than being liked” 5 likes