Start by marking “The Sixth Wife” as Want to Read:
The Sixth Wife

The Sixth Wife

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Adelia has no one to blame for her heartache. She’d been cautioned, many times and by many people. Everyone except her mother had told her it was folly to marry an elf, citing a host of reasons. Adelia knew their warnings were not unfounded. She knew he was very different from her and her kind, he was much older, and he’d had five other wives before her. She didn’t care. S ...more
ebook
Published (first published May 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Sixth Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sixth Wife

Cindy
Laura Lond - The Sixth Wife

This is a short, very charming piece with a fairy tale feel. Our heroine, Adelia, is the sixth wife of elven knight, Ametar. No, he’s not Bluebeard or Henry the Eighth for that matter. Since he is extremely long-lived he simply outlives his mortal wives. He married the first one because he felt sorry for her – he wished to give her ease and comfort from an extremely unpleasant situation. He fell deeply in love with her but lost her to sudden illness nine years later. H
Kathie (katmom)
This is a 21 page novella. While it was a nice, short read, it could have been spectacular. Ms. Lond has created a rather fascinating world with elves, humans, deception, and intrigue. While it moved at a fast pace, I felt that I really wanted to see clarification of some points and the end was quite rushed.

Adelia's husband, an elf, has not changed outwardly since she married him more than fifty years ago. She has aged, since she's human, and is now in her 70's. Ametar is a warrior and at the be
Mistik INK
Disney worthy Paranormal Love Story. 3rd person. H/h POV.

When I picked up this story from NetGalley it was not labeled as teen or young adult or children which tells me its an Adult Romance novel. The characters are mature adults but the book is Disney worthy and I would read it to my children. While I appreciate stories for kids, it is not my genre of choice when reading Adult Paranormal Romance.

Moreover, the heroine on the cover, along with the synopsis, led me to believe this is indeed an ad
Rhonda
Review: The Sixth Wife by Laura Lond
4 STARS This is a short story that keeps your attention. From the title I was thinking the book would be a lot different than it was. It kept my attention, really easy to follow the story. I listened to it on my kindle. I was given this ebook in exchange for honest review from Librarything. Adelia at the start is packing and getting ready to leave her husband. She has not told him yet. Starts by telling how she fell in love with the Elf. Also mentioned his ot
namericanwordcat
This story is written in the far removed third person of a fairy tale. The writer meticulously begins to build the world and the tone. However, the plot (while good in itself) is really a outline. All the details of developed characters, dialogue, and love are mere sketches. We simply have the big moments but we really don't connect or care because we don't get to the layered storytelling necessary.

This is a interesting world and the writing is clear but not compelling in terms of romance or fa
Olivia
A very interesting read, I wanted more. Bring up what you back up! This felt like a children's story, yet it deals with aging... If it had been twice as long, I would call it a novella. The author could have easily spent another four or five hours on this work at added much needed pages and content.

The story was too big for the length, and needed more depth and less fluff.

Could have been good! I enjoyed reading it, but would not pay money for it.
Amélie
Arc provided by Netgalley.

This short story is about Adelia, the 6th wife of an elf lord. At 75 years old, Adelia reflects on her life, how happy she had been at her husband's side and how, little by little, she has changed as she aged. At 75, she has made the decision to leave him in order to avoid the pain she suffers as the only human among a race of eternally young people. Adelia doesn't really understand her husband motivation, but faced with Adelia's decision, he too reflects upon his past
Robert Zimmermann
Without much to go by from the blurb, I didn’t know exactly what I was getting into when I started this story. To go along with the vague blurb, the cover was also misleading. All in all, I was pleased with how this story worked out.

This story takes place in mainly Adelia’s later years (her late 50′s) as she’s dealing with the fact that she’s an aging human living in an ageless elf world, living with her elf husband who hasn’t changed in appearance since the day they married. On the surface, thi
Evie Woolmore
At 7,500 words, The Sixth Wife is a long short story or a short novelette. It tells the story of Adelia, a human woman, and her elven husband Ametar, from both points of view, and has a strongly allegorical feel to it, as opposed to a fantasy one, considering the nature of ageing, death and love. A well-written story with a nice flow to it, the characters convey depth despite being simply drawn and Ms Lond includes enough description to set the scenes but not so much that the pace of the novelet ...more
Love Reading Romance
The Sixth Wife is quite a peculiar story, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Much of it is written in the far past, beginning by recalling Adelia's decision to marry an elf, Ametar, and the difficulties of growing old around him. We then get his perspective which seems to be driven by a somewhat twisted desire to continually marry unfortunate human women despite the fact that he does not age.

The story progresses as Adelia and Ametar come to terms with how they might live without each othe
SARIT
This is a short story. It was a rather interesting storyline and one that I think many can relate to aging and loving someone. The story takes place in Adelia’s late years (50' to 70′s) as she’s dealing with the fact that she’s an aging human living in an ageless elf world, living with her elf husband who hasn’t changed in appearance since the day they married.
This isn’t only a strange attempt at a romance between an elf who’s still hung up on his first wife, who died on him countless years ago
Dana
This is a short story - a novella about Adelia, a human woman who married Ametar, an elf, who has outlived his previous human wives because elves live much longer than humans. It is a sweet love story, with an interesting plot twist, but it is rather short. I received this book free to review from Netgalley.
Amyra
This book was provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
It was very nice, bittersweet, full of longing, but definitely too short. It left me unsatisfied.
Vote: 3 stars
Lorin
I really enjoyed this book. What a magical world to live in and it has left me wanting more after the discovery that Ametar and Adelia can now live forever as long as the other is not killed. You do feel sorry that Ametar wasn't aware of this pact when Hannah was alive but does make the story more intriguing this way. Would love to read a continuation of this book or maybe it will be made into a series. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.
Bridget
A short read, but oh so sweet. Elves age slower than humans. The Sixth Wife is about a woman who is married to an elf. She is in her twilight years, her husband looks young enough to be her son. My heart ached for her. You could tell he did not care about how she looked but he loved her enough to respect her wishes. I have not wanted a happy ending so bad in a long time.
Kathy
While I knew this was a novella , it was really too short. This is a sweet story which could have been written into an interesting book but the author just seemed to stop. I was quite disappointed.

This was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review. While I enjoyed reading it I would not pay to own it.
Rachelle
This is a great story, though I'll echo what other reviewers have said with it being too short. I know that's the point of a novella, but this was definitely one novella that left me wanting more. I hope that the author will write a full-length novel picking up where The Sixth Wife leaves off.
Deborah Blanchard
received this book through Library thing for an honest review. Too short, could have elaborated on the characters a little more. A human marries an elf. What she wrote was written okay, but way too short, left a lot to be desired.
Wanda
The idea of the story was interesting but was too short. It left me feeling like I wanted more.

Copy Provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
Stray
Interesting enough.
Jacob Lee
Jacob Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Aeokie
Aeokie marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Leyla Fernandez
Leyla Fernandez marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Laura Lond is an internationally published author of several novels and a collection of short stories. She has a Bachelor of Arts degree in history. Having worked for 2 years at a literary museum, Laura entered the world of business, working for large international corporations like Xerox Ltd. and Fluor Daniel. After moving from Europe to the United States, she has been self-employed as a freelanc ...more
More about Laura Lond...
My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1) My Royal Pain Quest (The Lakeland Knight, #2) The Prisoner (Dark Elf of Syron, #1) A Merman's Kiss The Dark Elf of Syron (books 1-3)