Start by marking “Club Sandwich” as Want to Read:
Club Sandwich

Club Sandwich

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  277 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Hey, Friend–

Do you know what it’s like give to 100 percent and still feel like it’s not–and you’re not–enough for anybody? To be caught between caring for an aging parent and raising young children? I lived in that place for four years.

Ivy Schneider lives in this place, too, and she isn’t at all happy about it. Her husband Rusty spends ten months a year on the road singin
Published June 7th 2005 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about Club Sandwich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Club Sandwich

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonThe Master's Plan by Stephany Tullis
Christian Chick Lit
148th out of 464 books — 488 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
432nd out of 1,861 books — 2,231 voters

More lists with this book...

Just - The romance reader
I enjoyed this book pretty good once I reached somewhere around the middle of it. It was a little bit of a slow starter for me, but I really wanted to like it so I stuck with it. The book contains a good message about what it means to truly live in ones faith and hold strong to family values, even in our darkest times.

Plus Ivy the protagonist really speaks her mind, and her humor is witty and a bit snarky, which I like.
McKenna
Feb 11, 2015 McKenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I thought that the writing voice was engaging and the style good, and it's a bit refreshing to read a novel written as a memoir from a conservative woman's POV.

I liked it up until the end, when *SPOILERS*

*****************

*****************

her husband comes back and owns up to his crap, at which point her personal accountability goes down the drain and she suddenly stops owning up to her own mistakes. She mentions them after he apologizes like once, but they never have a candid conversation abou
Kathy
Apr 14, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This book is about a woman who is pulled in many directions by her family. She takes care of her mother, her husband is always out of town - a gospel singer, she cares for children from age 3 to teen, and both her father and her father-in-law are also living in her house. Her mother doesn't know her husband is living in the basement because they have to keep it quiet as they are divorced. She also helps run her mother's restaurant where her brother (who is an alcoholic) is the chef. She has a si ...more
Cindy
Oct 11, 2008 Cindy rated it liked it
Ivy is caught between caring for her kids at home and worrying about her mother's failing health. And she has to do it all on her own, while her husband travels most of the year with a Christian quartet. Her new friends help her with some major changes in her life.

I found this one in the library and thought I would give it a try. I've never read any by this author. It was a clean read, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. It starts off really slow and I got bored, so I skipped ahead to
Sharon
Mar 30, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: female-friends
I liked the premise of this book - the story of a woman caring for her kids and her aging mother - although some aspects of the execution are a bit weak. In fact, the actual "Club Sandwich," a group of women with similar issues, sort of spontaneously appears in the book and isn't actually developed much. The narrator states up front that she is Christian and conservative, and most details relating to these two traits did not resonate for me. She doesn't quote scripture, but she does talk about G ...more
Melissa
Sep 10, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Woman caught between raising kids and her ailing mother. Lots about this book hits close to home.
Jeni
Mar 11, 2016 Jeni rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish it. And I'm a big Lisa Samson fan, but this took so long to hook me that I became the reader who got away. Slow, slow start.
Ann Lynch
Mar 06, 2013 Ann Lynch rated it did not like it
BORING!!!!! It takes halfway through the book for the 'club' to even begin meeting. The main character complains she has too much on her plate, yet complains that no one else does anything, and keeps taking on more and more responsibility. Just say NO! Yet 3/4 way through the book tells one of the club members to do the exact opposite of what she is doing!!! Would not recommend. Just kept reading to see if it got any better. It didn't!
Jun 25, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
This is so far been my favorite Lisa Samson book. Her books are just always so real, there is no fluffy Christian faith in them. I wasn't too sure when I picked this book up that I would like it, but within the first two pages I think, I was already hooked. Samson writes characters like you would not believe. They are real people with real problems and you feel like you get to know them, at least for a time.
Kirsten
May 04, 2013 Kirsten rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. On a quest to find a contemporary Christian author I can unequivocally enjoy, but it may not be possible. I liked it enough to consider reading another by the author, and I can recognize its strengths in the genre, but I have a hard time giving it three stars. (One thing I could not comprehend is that anyone would name an innocent child Bellatrix.)
Pam
Feb 05, 2016 Pam rated it liked it
sad marriage, mom struggling with kids, diner, etc.
Lisa
May 23, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
I read this book a few years ago, and enjoyed it. But as I find myself being squeezed by demands from different generations, I have a greater appreciation for the challenges faced by the main character and especially her responses. As with Lisa Samson's other books, her characters are real. I appreciate Samson's honest portrayal of the Christian life.
Apr 13, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I read this book a while ago and really enjoyed it. I felt like I was right there with all of those characters. I also liked that the christian life was presented in an everyday, realistic way that the majority of us can relate to.
Danni
Jun 06, 2010 Danni rated it liked it
This was quite an interesting novel. I felt bad for the main character because she had so much on her plate. Reading this book made me tired.
I liked the idea behind it that everyone needs some support from family and friends.
Margaret
Jul 02, 2009 Margaret rated it it was ok
Listened to the audio book. Enjoyed it but the situation was artificial and somewhat contrived. The exploration of the sandwich generation issues was good, but didn't all quite work.
Larissa
May 20, 2009 Larissa rated it really liked it
Great book about an average life.

Slow start, almost gave up, but came to see that the book is for real people living like me. Great book, check it out!
Traci
May 13, 2010 Traci rated it liked it
This was a fun read for the most part with some good human interaction and how we all need and feel the same things, just in different ways.
Lori
Mar 03, 2009 Lori rated it liked it
Not loving this...I keep rolling through it because I think it might get better. Samson's writing style is jumpy and inconsistent.
Dec 28, 2015 Jennifer rated it did not like it
bleh. I couldn't even get into this book. I need a little more inspiration in my inspirational fiction.
Becci
May 08, 2012 Becci rated it it was amazing
having cared for an aging parent and young kids I could really identify with the story.
April
Oct 20, 2009 April rated it really liked it
This was a great true to life book!
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Becky Anthony
Becky Anthony rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Linda Sammaritan
Linda Sammaritan rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Elysa Mac
Elysa Mac rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Kasey Anderson
Kasey Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
b 1 9 Oct 23, 2009 11:18PM
  • Norah's Ark
  • Reconstructing Natalie
  • Leave It to Claire (Claire Everett #1)
  • Heavens to Betsy (Betsy #1)
  • Another Chance to Love You
  • RV There Yet?: A Women of Faith Fiction Novel
  • The Good Nearby
  • Presumed Guilty
  • Stranded in Paradise
  • Justice in the Burbs: Being the Hands of Jesus Wherever You Live
  • Sisters, Ink
  • My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)
  • SAHM I Am
  • The Trophy Wives Club (Trophy Wives Club, #1)
  • Dangerous Depths (The Aloha Reef Series #3)
  • Hip to Be Square
  • On This Day
The Christy-award winning author of nineteen books including the Women of Faith Novel of the Year Quaker Summer, Lisa Samson has been hailed by Publishers Weekly as "a talented novelist who isn't afraid to take risks." She lives in Kentucky with her husband and three kids.
More about Lisa Samson...