Start by marking “The Liar” as Want to Read:
The Liar

The Liar

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Liar is one of Danish novelist Martin A. Hansen's best known and popular fictions. Published in 1950, the story, which takes place shortly after World War II, is told in the first person and concerns the inhabitants of a tiny island in the Danish archipelago. In this absorbing psychological work, the author probes deeply into the mind of Johannes Vig, the local schoolm ...more
199 pages
Published September 1st 1995 by Sun and Moon Press (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Liar

Giovanna
I first read this book as an exchange student in Denmark--apparently required reading there. It's a lovely novel, and while considered a psychological novel, the sense of place and nature seems to me just as important--you can feel and hear the spring thaw as you read.
RebeccaErGlad MegetGlad
The story is supposedly written by a clerk to an imaginary person (Natanael) on an island in Denmark. (I've heard this island is supposedly Anholdt, but don't take my word for it.) Small island. The main part of the book covers a few days in march around the time the ice is breaking. Most time is spent on the clerks musings and relations with his flock, a few women in particular. Through the first part of the book, we wait for the ice to break and a young man, Oluf, to return to the island after ...more
Jul 06, 2013 Laura added it
Recommends it for: All Danish people
When my grandpa told me to read this book, I only did for him. I went into it thinking that this would just be another boring read, to get through as fast as possible. And it was really boring, I was bored most of the time while reading it, and I didn't really understand it.
I finished it late last night, and when I woke up this morning, having thought the book through, I realized how amazing a book it actually was. I've never had a book do that to me before, and it felt magical, hence the five
Søren Køhler
Jeg havde frygtet at den her ville være hård at komme igennem, men man bliver simpelthen båret på hænder og fødder af Martin A. Hansens sanselige og saftige sprog og den skarpe dialog. En klassiker der ikke føles som pligtlæsning.
Carol
Dec 30, 2012 Carol added it
I just reread this Danish classic (in English), and am fascinated by Martin A. Hansen's exploration of what is true and what is not. His main character doesn't seem to think of himself as ethical and kind, but his actions are often selfless. Hansen was strongly influenced by Kierkegaard, and I can see elements of The Diary of a Seducer in this novel from right after the Danish occupation during WWII.
Ditte
Oct 11, 2014 Ditte marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I have been trying to read this for so long, and so many times. The book is beautifully written, and I really enjoyed the language and the descriptions of nature, but I could not get through it all, because there is no drive, no real climax to aim or hope for. That does not make it a bad book though, and I'm pretty sure I will return to read this book eventually, once I'm ready for the challenge.
Peter Dahl
Originally written as a radio sequel (not a play) that emptied the streets, this has become one of the 20th centuries most important Danish novels. A definite must-read if you're interested in Scandinavian post-war literature.
Moonchild7
Exciting and interesting book, with rich and enthrilling use of language. Good read, but not a 5-star story for me, it just didn't me enough like other books have. Still. A great book.
Adam
I did my best, got almost halfway, but could not finish this one. It's very fragmented and uninvolving.
Rasmus Sæderup
Very confusing, but still good.
Camilla Engberg
Very strange, in a good way.
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Katrine Bang
Katrine Bang marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Katrine S.
Katrine S. marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Daisy Holtel
Daisy Holtel marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Frank Spencer
Frank Spencer marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Søren
Søren added it
Sep 14, 2014
Mingus
Mingus added it
Aug 09, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Signe
Signe marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
  • Kongens fald
  • Det forsømte forår
  • Hærværk
  • Kick Me in the Traditions
  • En flyktning krysser sitt spor
  • Den som blinker er bange for døden
  • Rødby-Puttgarden
  • Yahya Hassan
  • The History Of Danish Dreams
  • Kunsten at græde i kor
  • Radiator
  • Doghead
  • Constance Ring
  • Løgnhalsen fra Umbrien
A famous danish author who was born in a very small village called Strøby. Martin A. Hansen was a teacher before he became an author and educated at Haslev Seminarium.
More about Martin A. Hansen...
Løgneren Lykkelige Kristoffer Agerhønen Orm og Tyr Høstgildet og andre fortællinger