Start by marking “The World According to Karl” as Want to Read:
The World According to Karl

The World According to Karl

Karl Lagerfeld's quick wit and silver tongue are as notorious as Chanel's quilted handbag. This book is a cornucopia of his Karlisms: cultivated, unpredictable, provocative, sometimes shocking, but always impossible to ignore. Karl Lagerfeld is a modern master of couture. While simultaneously running Chanel, Fendi, and his own eponymous fashion house, he has consistently r ...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Flammarion (first published September 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The World According to Karl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World According to Karl

Carmen
Apr 10, 2016 Carmen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
THE BAD:
Karl Lagerfeld is a completely self-centered individual.

I hate intellectual conversations. I'm only interested in my own opinion.

This book is horrible. He thinks he's God's gift to humanity. He thinks being fat or even 'not model thin' is a great tragedy. He promotes being a clothes hanger so that you can 'do justice' to clothes. Clothes aren't made to fit you, you must starve yourself to be elegant and thin and look like a model.

The clothes don't have to suit you; you have to suit the
Jaimie
Mar 23, 2014 Jaimie rated it really liked it
Lagerfeld has always struck me as a rather odd creature, so it was interesting to read this cherry-picked collection of his quotes. They provide an insight into the often contradictory psyche of one of fashion's powerhouses and even more so into what drives the man behind the powerhouse. Karl admits it himself, that he is his own puppet master, and that he has built his personae into something legendary and completely outside of himself. It reminds me of similar ideas propagated about Alice Coop ...more
Maria Pantazopoulou
Dec 14, 2014 Maria Pantazopoulou rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fashion
Full of brilliant, provoking, and entertaining quotes. Also, an extremely elegant and well-designed book!
Ana Grau
Jun 20, 2017 Ana Grau rated it did not like it
I really admire Karl's work, but this book was not what I was expecting. It has some good quotes, but in general I didn't enjoy as much as I've think I would.
Suzie
Feb 13, 2016 Suzie rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a book of quotations divided up into sections by topic. I didn't find it particularly thought provoking or deep or fun, although the quotes about Karl's mom were probably most interesting in an appalling/entertaining way. I've heard interesting, funny, strange stories about Karl from multiple sources, you can find many of them via google, which is why I'm a bit disappointed in this.
Daveia
Oct 15, 2013 Daveia rated it it was amazing
I love Karl Lagerfeld, and I knew I had to have this book for my shelves the second I found out about it. It also makes for a great coffee table book. Words fail me, really. I just think he's off-beat in the most amusing, splendid way.
Quince
Dec 01, 2016 Quince rated it really liked it
Some of Karl's quotes are a bit too much, but I admire him greatly as an individual, and can let pass his certain offensive comments. I am of the same opinion on many of his quotes, and find his view of the world quite refreshing. Hence the four stars.
Peter
May 28, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this.
Abbie Bursnell
An icon. An inspiration.
Ipek
Apr 13, 2014 Ipek added it
Brillant, very personal and thought provoking.
Michaelv
Jul 16, 2015 Michaelv rated it it was amazing
funny, witty, contradictory
Tom Garvey
Jan 17, 2014 Tom Garvey rated it really liked it
Karl is a fascinating character. This is a quick and fun read. It leaves me confused at who the real Karl Lagerfeld is. Overall, I'm glad my new roommates recommended it to me.
Fiona James
Jan 01, 2014 Fiona James rated it really liked it
Karl's witticisms are so entertaining. This man knows himself deeply and exercises his control over his whole existence. I would love to visit his bookstore in Paris.
Michelle
Apr 16, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Perfect collection of Karl's bon mots. Very enjoyable and an insight to the enigma.
Laura Cassin
Oct 21, 2013 Laura Cassin rated it really liked it
The perfect coffee table book. The way Karl's mind works is intriguing and inspiring. The only downfall in my opinion is the price! A bit too pricey for the content it contains.
Trish
Trish rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Austin Granzow
Austin Granzow rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Magdalena Sz
Magdalena Sz rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Gabriella
Gabriella rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Katie Harrison
Katie Harrison rated it really liked it
May 27, 2015
Mohamad Redzuan
Mohamad Redzuan rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Ayumi Sugawara
Ayumi Sugawara rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Riki
Riki rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Imke
Imke rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2014
Witchyaurorahotmail.com
Witchyaurorahotmail.com rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Dana Giusti
Dana Giusti rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Saloni Jain
Saloni Jain rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2017
DOLLS
DOLLS rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Icons Of Men's Style
  • Diana Vreeland Memos: The Vogue Years
  • The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris
  • QQ
  • The Big Questions The Universe
  • Chanel: The Vocabulary of Style
  • The Self and its Brain
  • The Ruins Of Detroit
  • The Dream of the Great American Novel
  • Having It All: Love, Success, Sex, Money, Even If You're Starting with Nothing
  • De la constance du sage : De la tranquilité de l'âme