Start by marking “The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside” as Want to Read:

The Christian Culture Survival Guide is about the author's humorous experiences growing up in the Christian subculture and what he's learned along the way. From overcoming the temptation to wear W.W.J.D. bracelets to the disparaging experience of witnessing to a gay man at a bar, Matthew Paul Turner offers a fun read that's packed with profound insight and truth.
Published May 18th 2004 by Relevant Books (first published May 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Christian Culture Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christian Culture Survival Guide

Callie Rose Tyler
When you grow up in the Christian culture (usually specifically Evangelical or non-denominational) you can find yourself in a bubble. The culture of Christian Rock, Veggie Tails and WWJD bracelets starts to seem like gospel.

This book is a breath of fresh air and a great reminder that people who listen to pop hits and read Harry Potter are not going to burn in hell. It provides much needed perspective in a humorous and relatable fashion. It is kind of like a more Christian friendly version of Ra
Sarah Duggan
Jun 30, 2014 Sarah Duggan rated it really liked it
Even though it was written a decade ago, this book is still hilarious, particularly because I grew up in some of the same environments. It's a great satire of youth group and Christian music culture in particular, but manages to find positive lessons. Turner doesn't throw out the baby with the bathwater, just encourages Christians to be a little more self-aware. If you're not Evangelical/Fundamentalist (I'm Catholic), the parts about church services probably won't seem as relevant to your experi ...more
In the decade since I first read Matthew Paul Turner's first book, The Christian Culture Survival Guide, both he and I have changed a lot. I have read several of his subsequent books, and it seems like he has softened his edges and made more peace with his place in the Christian world than perhaps he had when he first started writing in 2004, and I have definitely undergone much of the same journey over the same period (as evidenced by some of my early blog posts). With both of our transitions i ...more
Colby Qualls
May 17, 2012 Colby Qualls rated it really liked it
I received this book in the mail today and finished it in less than 2 hours. I think it was a great sociological look at the norms and culture created by Christianity within the United States. This Christian culture bubble is often overlooked. I think it is very prevalent for a Christian to believe that his/her spiritual experience, church, denomination, doctrine, etc. is the pure gospel. Many times that is not the case though. We allow these norms that come about from our culture to become as i ...more
Jun 06, 2013 Jesse rated it it was amazing
This short and easy-to-read book summarizes accurately what church culture is like today. Turner does this by drawing on his experiences that most Christians who grew up in the church can testify to. Turner's purpose is to show how the church has gone awry in many regards, from false piety to gimmicks and rigid legalism. His style is mostly humorous, and many things he says is not to be taken quite literally or too seriously, but at the same time he complements his satire with serious, sober, pr ...more
Annette Abbott
Apr 25, 2011 Annette Abbott rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
Three stars is generous. I'd say it's more closer to 2.5 for me.

A friend recommended Turner's "Churched" and it was a total winner with me because, like Turner, I had a fundamentalist upbringing and related 100% to all the weirdness such an upbringing could offer. Based on my laugh-out-loud experience with "Churched," I decided to continue with "Christian Culture Survival Guide" and it felt like was hearing a funny joke for the second time. Sure, it's still funny -- but knowing the middle part a
Tim Beck
Feb 04, 2009 Tim Beck rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
The cover drew me in from the start. Turner hits the nail on the head. with tongue firmly planted in cheek he calls out the church and it's followers. if you can't take a joke you shouldn't read this book.

although some of the chapters neglected to come to any resolution, in my opinion, the book was entertaining and somewhat inspirational in that i know without a shadow of a doubt of whom i desire NOT to be.

too many in the church follow the church instead of Jesus.

Turner call's them out - but i
Jun 13, 2013 Mitch rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianity
Two stars, people, and that's all.

What earned them? The occasional non-judgmental, non-acidic humor and the occasional useful observations the author made.

He was brought up in a very judgmental church and, although he quotes the Bible verse against it, his book is solidly composed of 'types' of people, situations, etc. This is supposed to be funny and sometimes it achieves that but it is ALWAYS judgmental.

The overall effect would make anyone want to avoid going to church since people are so obvi
Alex Stroshine
Sep 26, 2011 Alex Stroshine rated it it was ok
I've followed Matthew Paul Turner's blog for about a year and I bought this book before that but I finally got around to reading "The Christian Culture Survival Guide" last weekend.

This book is mildly humourous and I think Turner does capture some of the peculiarities within the Christian subculture (such as his guide about the Christian guys and girls one will see at church).

I am by no means a fundamentalist nor do I agree with a lot of things fundamentalists preach, but I think Turner is a bi
May 18, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
The author should have just stuck with the humor rather than also trying to give serious advice.
Jan 29, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Russ K
Shelves: fun, faith
Cute book, the introduction was the funniest part. He in humorous ways called the church out on some things while providing thoughts on how we can truly act like Christ.
In the Dating & Sex chapter, he talked about the youth group 'fake-perfect couple'...she gets pregnant... and then ends up with a successful career talking to young girls about abstinence." Wow he totally prophesied about Bristol Palin while writing in 2004.
Quick read but not for anyone who takes things too seriously or witho
Jennifer Short
Oct 31, 2010 Jennifer Short rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed in this book. I've read other books by Turner, and this is my least favorite. I also realize it's his first book, and things often improve with age. It was humorous, but not funny (meaning to the point I would laugh). I have laughed out loud at his other books, and did find this one to be a bit of a disappointment when compared to his other works.
Jul 25, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Ah, the atypical Christian book where what is on the back and in the introduction in no way compares to the content.

But I liked the bit on sex. I was good. I mean....of course I didn't like the bit on sex cos there was no bits about sex. Only weirdos like that kinda thing....
Michael Plewniak
Apr 15, 2009 Michael Plewniak rated it liked it
humorous book. i laughed out loud several times. there is nothing really insightful about this book, it just does a good job of mocking the christian culture. it even had a chapter mocking pastors and one mocking dating in the church. the dating chapter had me rolling.
Jan 08, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
all you have to do is look at the cover of this book and it makes you want to open it up and read it. hilarious. this book is for those who are frustrated with organized christianity. (and can take a joke) it may offend some. but seriously, get over it, it is funny!
Jun 14, 2010 Di rated it liked it
An excellent and humorous look at some common practices in the Christian community - and how ridiculous they are - Like throwing out your CD collection...then buying most of them a year later! Good fun, great for a laugh.
Mar 01, 2008 Jonathan rated it did not like it
Way too much bile and vitriol. Perhaps therapy with a counselor would have been more constructive than therapy through publication. Even when this guy is right, he's wrong on the presentation and attitude.
Glenda Rouxel
Sep 05, 2008 Glenda Rouxel rated it liked it
Only just into it, bought this book ready to hate it for having a go at christians, but finding it absolutely hiularious. I am assuming the star rating I gave this will go up significantly!
Sep 08, 2008 Lisa rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. I kept waiting for it to get funny but it fell short. Needed a good editor.
Billy Jack  Blankenship
Mar 18, 2008 Billy Jack Blankenship rated it really liked it
Anyone who grew up in the conservative church will get a good laugh out of this!
Dec 20, 2007 Dave rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone jaded/disheartened/humored by evangelistic upbringing
a great, loving poke at a quirky Christian bubble
Charity Hall
Jun 13, 2013 Charity Hall rated it it was amazing
Hilarious but not for the unchurched
Dec 31, 2011 Alyssa rated it liked it
Natalie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Morgan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Elise marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Jessica Gillies
Jessica Gillies marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Why the Rest Hates the West: Understanding the Roots of Global Rage
  • Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe
  • New Fix-It-Yourself Manual
  • Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock
  • A Matter of Days: Resolving a Creation Controversy
  • Finding Organic Church: A Comprehensive Guide to Starting and Sustaining Authentic Christian Communities
  • The Gospel of the Living Dead: George Romero's Visions of Hell on Earth
  • 9-11, Vol. 1: Artists Respond
  • Introduction to Christianity
  • Jesus Manifesto
  • Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky
  • The Darwin Awards 4: Intelligent Design (Darwin Awards, #4)
  • Walk on: The Spiritual Journey of U2
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
  • The Lutheran Handbook: A Field Guide to Church Stuff, Everyday Stuff, and the Bible
  • The Green Letters