Start by marking “Vitro (Corpus, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vitro (Corpus, #2)

Vitro (Corpus #2)

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  2,732 Ratings  ·  397 Reviews
On Skin Island, even the laws of creation can be broken.

On a remote island in the Pacific, Corpus scientists have taken test tube embryos and given them life. These beings—the Vitros—have knowledge and abilities most humans can only dream of. But they also have one enormous flaw.

Sophie Crue is determined to get to Skin Island and find her mother, a scientist who left Sophi
Published January 14th 2014 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Vitro, please sign up.

Shannon Fay of course, it's your eyes, we can't really say that you're not allowed to see words on a page. so feel free to read the book
YA Novels of 2014
83rd out of 1,537 books — 8,948 voters
The One by Kiera CassIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiA Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia GrayCress by Marissa MeyerCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
Best Covers of 2014
45th out of 1,007 books — 2,721 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
Closer to a 3.5 star.

While I didn't like this one quite as much as Origin, it was still an exciting read set on an isolated island full of secret experiments and shady operations. Even if you haven't read Origin, this is not actually a sequel; both are independent of each other. You could even say Vitro is more or less a refitted version of Origin. They both have a similar setting and mirroring scientific conspiracies. And Sophie, after a distressing email from her mother, gets trapped into its
Darth J
Solid 2.5 stars

This book started out promising then went downhill fast. The blurb and cover are really interesting and grab your attention, but sadly they just don't hold it. Don't get me wrong, the premise starts out strong but just seems to lose you at less than a third of the way in.

Not only are the characters bland with too much unnecessary background information that comes in walls of text, but this book is rife with mommy issues. Both main characters (Sophie and Jim) were abandoned by the
Blythe
Vitro has pretty much all the key components necessary for a really fun action/adventure hit: we start with the setting and atmosphere of the creepy desert island (by the name of Skin Island, no less), which Jessica Khoury nails; then there's the handful of interesting conspiracies and twists, and behind it all, a villain whose motives are entirely believable (which makes everything even more spine-tingling). All of this, and more, make Vitro a really fun, action-packed read.

However, like most a
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
This book was nothing like what I expected. I think it deserves a 3.5/5. I was expecting it to be just like Origin but just with a different location, and different characters. I expected great characters, heart-stopping suspense, and heart-melting romance. And although the story was still good and there was a lot of action, it just was not what I was looking for.

Sophie and Jim are cool enough, but I did not love them like I did Pia and Eio, not even close. And I will not even categorize this as
Michelle Arrow
"It seemed an eternity later, though in fact it was just a minute, that he opened his eyes and turned his head to look at Sophie. Her eyes were open, and she was staring directly back at him."

And not in a good way. Jessica Khoury has previously stunned me with her debut novel, Origin. It was moving, it was everything I was looking for in an unique dystopia-science fiction romance book. But in her second book that somewhat relates to Origin's events, I was very disappointed.

Sophie is livin
Aimee
Check out this review and others over at The Social Potato!

2.5, really.

This is one of those books that I picked up as a spur of the moment kind of thing. I saw the spine, recognized the novel from one of my Goodreads searches and bought myself a copy. I guess I could say that it was well worth it, although I would better recommend you borrow this at the library rather than buy it if you're interested, since it wasn't an amazing read.

The first thing that made me want to read it was the gorgeous c
Sara Grochowski
The author of Origin, Jessica Khoury, takes readers to a new locale and a new scientific experiment with her newest novel, Vitro.

Sophie Crue has spent most of her life living with her father in the United States, seeing her mother only a handful of times and only during exotic vacations, but before her parents divorced, they lived on a remote island in the Pacific. Her mother remained on the island after Sophie and her father set off for the States, staying behind to devote her life to making hu
Holly
Apr 22, 2013 Holly marked it as to-read
YAY!! Can't wait to read this follow-up to ORIGIN! I enjoyed that book so much (more than I thought I would, in fact) and really look forward to this one!
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
I wish I enjoyed this more, but Vitro seemed kind of average for what it was. The heroine and her love interest, Jim were kind of bland and one dimensional and I didn't really feel anything for the characters at all.

Skin Island had some pretty interesting secrets but my problem was that I never felt any excitement while reading it. It was executed in a really bland and boring manner. The only interesting part about it when the novel really picked up was when we met the Vitros, especially Nichol
Steffi
2.5-3.0/5.0

First of all: the cover is amazing and what had me drawn first to this book. The premise did sound interesting too.

Unfortunately the book couldn't live up with my expections. The story couldn't really grab me from the first chapters and continues throughout the whole book.
I felt no connection with the characters: some of their actions felt illogical to me. The protagonist stayed shallow over the whole book. I didn't see any progress in their actions and feelings.

The story was really s
BookCupid
Jun 09, 2016 BookCupid rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, own, tbr-challenge
How far would you go to save someone you barely know?

After a disarming email from her absentee mom, Sophie flies off to Skin island (a.k.a the island of no return) with an old pal named Jim. Together, their morals will be put to the test as they discover the atrocities that occur on the island. When everyone isn't who they claim to be, who can you trust?

This book had me feeling like I was watching A-Ha's Take on me video on a loop: boy saves girl, bad guys try to stop them, boy saves girl, and s
Debora
This story would have been good if it wasn't written this boring. I stopped with it.
Colleen Houck
I'm still wigged out about the whole idea but Vitro is wonderful! I love Jim. The name invokes old school James T. Kirk and I pictured his cheeky smile almost the whole time. The characters were so believable and they all invoked such emotion. Can easily picture this as a movie.
Alicia
I already have more review copies than I can handle at the moment, so I'm going to restrain myself from requesting this on Edelweiss.
Cookie
Jan 18, 2016 Cookie marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-publication
AAAAAAA SO MANY LOW RATINGS IT MAKES ME NERVOUS
Celeste_pewter
Dec 13, 2014 Celeste_pewter rated it liked it
Full review:

Vitro is one of those books where I end up sitting on my review for months on end, largely because I'm of two minds about the book. On the one hand, Jessica Khoury's writing, plotting and world-building are absolutely superb in her sophomore novel.

Khoury introduces us to Sophie, a girl on a mission. After receiving an alarming message from her scientist mother, Sophie is now on her way to her mother's work base of Skin Island to try and figure out what's going on. However, once sh
Reviews from a Bookworm
To see the post in all its formatted glory, go to http://reviewsfromabookworm.blogspot....

VitroTitle: Vitro

Author: Jessica Khoury

Publisher: Razorbill

Buy This Book: Book Depository

On Skin Island, even the laws of creation can be broken.
Sophie Crue is determined to get to Skin Isla
Jon
Feb 03, 2014 Jon rated it it was amazing
Check out Scott Reads It for more reviews!

Jessica Khoury is easily one of the best sci-fi writers for young adults and Vitro is a testament to her extraordinary writing abilities. I was extremely impressed with Khoury's debut, Origin, but nothing could have prepared me for Vitro. I definitely believe that Vitro is a stronger book than Origin and it does an excellent job of raising ethical questions about scientific discovery.

When Sophie Crue receives a letter from her mother telling her to co
Laphini
May 16, 2015 Laphini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book is just wow!!
The plot, the characters and the twists-
All of it!!!
This story follows Sophie Crue, Jim Julian and Lux Crue as they discover all the mysterious of Skin Island and themselves.
Sophie grew up with her parents for most of her life until her Mum moved to Skin Island to work 10 years prior to the story. She receives an e-mail from her Mother, saying it's an emergency and she has to get to Skin Island immediately. With the help of her old friend, Jim Julian, the two go on
Cheyenne Bagans❤
Dalene
Aug 18, 2013 Dalene rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much! I read "Vitro" right after reading "Origin" and I had some high expectations. Jessica Khoury though knows how to write a book. I still love "Origin" more but this book captivated me from the very beginning and I couldn't wait to see how the story ended for Sophie and Jim. There are some twists and turns, just like in "Origin". Some things happened that I was not expecting at all, which was a nice surprise. All in all a great novel. Make sure and add Khoury to your TBR ...more
Kelsey
Aug 24, 2015 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts: I don't think that this novel was quite as wonderful as Origin was. Mostly, I think that the characters in this novel were much stupider than they were in Origin. Really, you see a scary island that everyone says horrible things about but you think that it's a fantastic idea to try to waltz right onto it? WHAT PART OF THIS TRIP WAS A GOOD IDEA? Who are you? Slutty girl #5 in a horror movie? You just gotta run back up the stairs. You know what? Here's a concept. LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE ...more
Emily
Nov 15, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
After reading Origins, Jessica Khoury's first book, I had high expectations for Vitro and it definitely hit the mark. I'm always intrigued by sci-fi books about genetics; there are many different ways to tell that story and Vitro tells it wonderfully. The book has excellent world-building, is fast-paced, and has enough twists to keep you on the edge of your seat. I also loved the cover; it's a refreshing change from most YA novel covers and will definitely stand out on the shelves.
Stéphanie
I picked up this book less than a week ago, and I'm really glad I decided to read it. (Funny story: While browsing my local library, I found it on the wrong, and instead of finding its rightful spot, I decided to check it out.) At first, I didn't realize it was the second book of the Corpus series because it's not really part of a "series." The author calls them companion books. I read the first book more than two years ago, but both can be read as standalones. In Vitro, the author introduces us ...more
Teri
Mar 16, 2015 Teri rated it liked it
I’ve read all three of the Corpus books now, and I have to say, Vitro is my least favorite. Loved the premise, the story took off from the first page and jumped right into the action – then it just seemed to lose steam. Not that this was a bad book by any means, but for me, it just didn't rise to the heights of the other two.

The scientific aspects of this story just fascinated me – throw genetic engineering into the equation, and you usually have my undivided attention. I thought having an islan
Jessica (novelcravings)
DNF
I really liked Origin by Jessica Khoury, but I just lost interest in this book. I felt like it ran out of steam, people were just chasing each other around an island - and I really disliked the chapters from Lux's point of view. This one just wasn't for me.
Lisa
Mar 21, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
This is a companion novel to Origin, which I liked better. I have so many issues with this book, I don't even know where to begin. Next!
Stephanie H (My Bookish Itinerary)
3.5

I read this book quickly too. It is a fast paced book full of action. In fact, I do think there was a little bit more action in this book than in the first book.

I think that this story is unique. I really like that it is a companion book. So fun to read a story with new characters but still takes place in the same universe as Origin.

Sophie is going to Skin Island one way or another. She needs to find out what has happened to her mother, a scientist that works on the island. With help from J
Colleen Houck Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Live Chat With Jessica Khoury 74 101 Dec 31, 2014 03:12AM
Goodreads Librari...: IS it a Series? 6 28 Aug 05, 2014 01:53AM
Crazy for Young A...: Vitro by Jessica Khoury → Start Date: May 8th, 2014 25 24 May 16, 2014 11:07PM
Blogger Lift: Interview with Author Jessica Khoury 1 9 Feb 09, 2014 10:31PM
  • Minders
  • Fugitive X (Revolution 19, #2)
  • Salvage
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Nil (Nil, #1)
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)
  • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • The Well's End (The Well's End, #1)
  • Scan (Scan, #1)
  • Plus One
  • End Times
  • Fragile Spirits (Souls, #2)
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)
  • The Lonesome Young
  • Emergent (Annex, #2)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
Jessica Khoury wrote her first book at age 4, a fan fic sequel to Syd Hoff's Danny and the Dinosaur, which she scribbled on notebook paper, stapled together, and placed on the bookshelf of her preschool classroom. Since that day, she's dreamed of being an author.

When not writing, Jess enjoys spending time with family, playing video games, and traveling the world in search of stories and inspiratio
More about Jessica Khoury...

Corpus (3 books)
  • Origin (Corpus, #1)
  • Kalahari (Corpus, #3)

“If people could fall apart, why couldn't they fall back together?” 4 likes
“There is no brightness without darkness. There is no body without its shadow.” 2 likes