Start by marking “The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Incredible Adventu...

Norman Hunter

The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  279 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Rediscover Professor Branestawm this Christmas – soon to become a brand new drama on BBC ONE written by Charlie Higson and starring Harry Hill

‘Once you started anything in Professor Branestawm’s house you never knew when it might finish or even if it ever would’

Poor Mrs Flittersnoop! It’s not easy being Professor Branestawm’s housekeeper. People may say he’s a genius, but
ebook
Published March 7th 2013 by Vintage Digital (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm

Alan
Mar 27, 2009 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-at-school
Miss Harrison, my temporary teacher in Junior 3 read this to us at the end of the day and I loved every minute of her readings of the whacky professor and his five pairs of spectacles and his coat done up with safety pins and his great inventions. I think Heath Robinson (hang on I'll check - yes) did the illustrations and Wikipedia have reminded me that the Professor invented a clock that didn't need winding up (this was the 30s)- 'but the omission of an important component ("I forgot to put a l ...more
Rhonda
Feb 22, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible serendipity! Being a strong bibliophile, just lately (I am a senior) have been acquiring as many children's classics I once knew and loved and re-reading them. I make the rounds weekly of every used book-seller within a few local towns. Having not previously been familiar with Professor Branestawm, and seeing this book in a shop once or twice before, took absolutely no particular notice. Now as a new Goodreads member, I've been scrolling through some reviews of children's books. Imagi ...more
Jemima Pett
Feb 09, 2013 Jemima Pett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mg, funny
I love the theory of Professor Branestawm - the nutty professor who gets into all sorts of scrapes when his inventions go wrong. The inventions, brought to life so beautifully by Heath Robinson, more or less lived up to my expectations. I don't know whether I'm a little jaded, or I really have lost my humur mojo, but I found some of the stories mildly amusing, more of them irritating, and a couple, just a couple, had me laughing out loud.

There are 14 incredible adventures, and I laughed at the P
Jon Blake
Sep 19, 2012 Jon Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories possess a lovely logic whereby all the professor's inventions become Frankenstein monsters taking the Professor and Colonel Dedshott to places they would rather not go: I still have my battered old copy from the Sixties which I treasure as my favourite book from junior school days. Norman Hunter has certainly influenced my own writing, particularly my short stories where processes of degeneration abound. I wouldn't say Professor Branestawm is likely to greatly enrich anyone's emoti ...more
Alice
Apr 24, 2009 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, scifi, humour
Re-reading for a fanfic project. I had forgotten quite what a wizard of silliness Norman Hunter was, and how he can be hilariously funny using simple, childsize words and sentences.
Michael
I read this when I was about 7, so there's not much I remember about it now, some 40-odd years later. However, I do remember it so it obviously made a favourable impression on me at the time. Or maybe it's where I was reading it that makes it memorable, as I have a very strong sense of place about this book. I was staying with my Nana at the time and I recall reading it in my makeshift bed, which was a broken lilo at her bedside. Snuggled under a blanket with her pet chihuahua, Mecksie, the ligh ...more
Yorky Caz
Dec 14, 2012 Yorky Caz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this is a kiddies book but it was v entertaining!
Dorothea
I've had this book since I was a child and decided to re-read it when I realized that the illustrations are by W. Heath Robinson.

It was lovely to revisit these stories, especially "The Wild Waste-Paper" (Professor Branestawm invents an elixir of life, which the housekeeper, Mrs Flittersnoop, accidentally knocks over into his wastepaper basket), "The Professor Borrows a Book" (the Professor loses the copy of The Life and Likings of a Lobster from the library at Great Pagwell; checks out the Littl
Helen
As sometimes happens, a random conversation at work about lost glasses led to me talking about a book I'd read at school MANY years ago. I never forgot daft old Prof Branestawm and his five pairs of glasses, including one pair to help him find the other four. Maybe it was just the rose-colored hue of nostalgia, but I remembered having enjoyed the stories - first read to the class by a favorite teacher, then re-read for myself.
The conversation led me to look up Branestawm on the library catalogue
Helen
Jul 09, 2015 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-this
Loved this... with several exceptions. The first chapter "The Professor Invents A Machine" has the Professor & his friend Colonel Dedshott killing off people for a bit of sport. Then there is a cracking racist slur in Chapter 11 "Colonel Branestawm and Professor Dedshott", as well as some other sexist & racist comments in Chapters 12 & 13 ("The Professor Moves House" & "Pancake Day At Great Pagwell").

But don't let that turn you away! As a read aloud, this is fantastic as these ar
Clinton Smith
Dec 15, 2013 Clinton Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this first as a small boy and have not ceased to dip into it with great joy, despite my now considerable age.

Norman Hunter wrote many books about the Professor but this is his first ande greatest appearance. Branestawm, aided by the brilliant Heath Robinson illustrations, is a children's delight that deserves to sit just a little south of The Wind in the Willows and Alice in Wonderland.

The addle-pated professor is an inventive genius. He can knock up everything from a burglar catcher to a
Jessica Davis (Eckert)
I read this when I was in 4th grade and it was my favorite book that year. My 9 y o who is in 4th grade is not as impressed.
Absent-minded professor with many pairs of glasses does crazy experiments that often go off the rails.
Aidan Michael
Sep 09, 2014 Aidan Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It only took one hour and thirty minutes to read it. Mr. Professor Branestawm is always inventing things and forgetting things.He is a complete artist
and he is extremely smart .
Mar 01, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and easy book. its a great book with lot's of funny moments in it. i think children will love this book and adults will enjoy it as an easy read.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
How is it that this book has eluded me all my life? It should be in every library in the world. Yes, a worthy choice for 1001 Children’s Books You Must Read.

Professor Branestawm (his last name, I learned, is a homophone of the word “brainstorm”) is a classic absent-minded professor. The professor spends his days creating amazing inventions like a Spring-Cleaning Machine and an Elixir of Vitality and a Clock-That-Doesn’t-Need-Winding, always accompanied by his patient housekeeper Mrs. Flittersnoo
Freddie Hyzler
Aug 23, 2014 Freddie Hyzler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very warm tommy heart in so many ways.
Meo
Jul 04, 2012 Meo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Fourteen stories of an absent-minded professor, his madcap inventions and his long-suffering friends, vintage 1930 or thereabouts, and still causing laughter off the scale for today's youngsters. Being mistaken for a living waxwork, inventing a pancake machine and trying to borrow one book from 14 libraries in sequence are just some of the bizarre situations he finds himself in. Still funny after all these years, both boys pronounced it very funny.
Adrian Buck
Oct 15, 2013 Adrian Buck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Bizarre, clichéd pre WWII world, a bit like Jeeves and Wooster for kids. Very difficult to read out loud - took me ages to realise Mrs Flittersnoop was Irish - but we got there in the end. My boy burst out laughing repeatedly, but not sure if that because he understood what was happening, or because he didn't. Now has a love of heath Robinson which can't be a bad thing.
Thomas Murphy
I loved these books as a kid and they helped inspire a different way of looking at the world in me.

I have never returned to the books as an adult and am almost frightened to do so. However, the eight year old deep inside me still has such very fond memories of the absurdity of all these books which used to make me laugh out loud.
Andrew
Jul 30, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a favourite while I was in the juniors. I think it was mostly becuase of Heath Robinson's illustrations. There was also a Professor Branestawm's Dictionary which was full of atrocious puns (things like Badminton Court referring to the capture of evil criminal Minton, etc.).
Madamedupin
Very much enjoyed this with Charlie - he chuckled lots and it led to a few serious discussions too.
Samad norooziyan
May 29, 2007 Samad norooziyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اين كتاب براي مني كه تازه كتاب خوندن رو شروع كرده بودم اونم تو سن نوجواني خيلي خيلي جالب بود،بخصوص اينكه علاقه خاصي به فيلم هاي علمي هم داشتم و با اين كتاب به دنياي كتاب هاي عليم تخيلي پا گذاشتم،البته اونقدر عليم يو تخيلي نبود ولي خوب براي من كتاب بزرگي بود
Andy
Brilliant, so glad I found this. About to start reading it to my 6 year old son...

If its half as good as I.remembet its well worth the 5 stars.. My son loved this and insists I read him more branestawm as soon as I can!
Josephine
Mar 03, 2013 Josephine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Dated but fun; I read this as a child, forgot about it and was reminded in a bookstore when I saw this and two others.
Benjamin Creutzfeldt
an unbeatable classic, the funniest book I know
Layla
Feb 20, 2008 Layla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most favorite childhood books.
Bettie☯
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
how to download this book? 1 4 Jul 21, 2010 02:08PM
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • A Dog So Small
  • The Ship That Flew
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • The Wind on the Moon
Career
Hunter wrote popular books on writing for advertising, brain-teasers and conjuring among many others. His career started as an advertising copywriter and in the 1930s he was performing as a stage magician in Bournemouth.
It was at this time he started to write the Professor Branestawm series, originally intended for radio. The books were published in hardback, with the first illustrated by W.
More about Norman Hunter...

“Professor Branestawm” 0 likes