Start by marking “Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge” as Want to Read:
Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge

Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In this knockout anthology, today's most important writers of speculative fiction cruise the abnormal elements of society and find a new wave of underground disorder, poignant horror, dirty kisses, and necessary anarchy.

Including never-before published stories by:

Neil Gaiman, Steve Rasnic Tem, Kathe Koja, David J. Schow, Bentley Little, Poppy Z. Brite, Joe R. Lansdale,
Published October 4th 2005 by Roc Trade

To ask other readers questions about Outsiders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outsiders

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Best Twists
226th out of 1,740 books — 3,906 voters
Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
398th out of 1,695 books — 1,357 voters

More lists with this book...

Conal Cochran
Meh. I hoped that this collection would shake me up a bit, but really, nothing in it works all that well. Most of the stories are competent, but there are a few high and low points:
Jack Ketchum's bit about smokers has a killer premise, but feels too tame, like an Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine story. Brite's story isn't a story, but a chapter from a novel. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the collection, and while it's certainly well-written, isn't my cup of tea. Which is too bad, bec
Annie Watkins
I can say that I enjoyed maybe two stories in this entire book. The rest ranged from weird to just disgusting. "Pop Star in the Ugly Bar" by Bentley Little was just gross, a rape fantasy with no hint of a plot and I'm really surprised they added it. The story about the cigarette activists was just dumb. And yes there have been studies about the dangers of second-hand smoke.
Kathryn
I was in a very dark mood, so I picked a very dark book. On reflection, most of the stories weren't very good. Well, a few of them were okay. Tanith Lee's story was artfully decadent, and Expanding Your Capabilities Using Frame/Shift Mode' by David J. Schow was unsettling. The rest swing from subtly creepy to all-out gory and violent but like a lot of "theme" collections they have a hard time getting past simple wish-fulfillment. However, the book was exactly what I needed at the time, so I enjo ...more
Heather Ingemar
I bought this book thinking I'd read some fun, gothic YA fiction (found it in the Teen spot in Hastings), and walked away feeling ill. This is NOT a teen/YA book. This is the creepy-beyond-creepy adult horror.

I will say this though: the writers included definitely know their craft, and for that, it was an educational read.

But don't look here unless you want to be sleeping with all the lights on for a week!
Evans Light
Will add reviews of each story as I move through it, picking it up from time to time, not necessarily in order.

POP STAR IN THE UGLY BAR, by Bentley Little: Short and ferociously nasty, this story has no plot, instead heads straight to depravity. One of the sicker things I've read in a while. Can't recommend for the squeamish or offendable. I'm staying away from The Ugly Bar!
Michelle
Aug 23, 2007 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes horror or sci fi
I really liked this book as a whole. There were some tremendously good stories in it. There was one that just completely grossed me out on multiple levels, and some that I found boring. The same as you find in any short story collection. But it was worth the read!
Åsa
Awesome collection of short stories buy a bunch of really good authors about the weird people on the side of the rest of the world. Neil Gaiman's contribution "The Empty chambers" stayed with me for days. Creepy, charming and weird.
Kimmyh
As with most Anthologies, this was a mixed bag of Good, Bad and 'Eh' stories. Thankfully, there were more good than bad and only a few I'd read before in other Anthologies.
erin
This book was only ok. I bought it because I like Neil Gaiman. Too bad his contribution was a short poem. The rest was a mix of boring, beyond gross, or wtf is going on. Blah.
Elysha Fisher
Very dark and twisted. Get ready to be approached with topics that really make you think about the darker side of human nature and our potential.
Voidmancer
Some of the stuff in this book is sick, in a really good way. Perfect for those who like a bit of violence ;)
Kayleen
Read: The empty chambers, Neil Gaiman.

A cool poem, this one actually really feels like Gaiman.
saricima
i may not have given this book a fair chance either. but i wasnt very into it.
Tracy
Interesting open-ended stories that were not boring
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Erin Havelka
Erin Havelka marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Ghost
Ghost added it
Jul 30, 2014
Michele Villari
Michele Villari marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jun 29, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nancy Holder, New York Times Bestselling author of the WICKED Series, has just published CRUSADE - the first book in a new vampire series cowritten with Debbie Viguie. The last book her her Possession series is set to release in March 2011.

Nancy was born in Los Altos, California, and her family settled for a time in Walnut Creek. Her father, who taught at Stanford, joined the navy and the family t
More about Nancy Holder...
Resurrection (Wicked, #5) Wicked 2: Legacy & Spellbound (Wicked, #3-4) Wicked: Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2) Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles, #1) The Rose Bride: A Retelling of "The White Bride and the Black Bride" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)