Start by marking “Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge” as Want to Read:
Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge

Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In this knockout anthology, today's most important writers of speculative fiction cruise the abnormal elements of society and find a new wave of underground disorder, poignant horror, dirty kisses, and necessary anarchy.

Including never-before published stories by:

Neil Gaiman, Steve Rasnic Tem, Kathe Koja, David J. Schow, Bentley Little, Poppy Z. Brite, Joe R. Lansdale,
Published October 4th 2005 by Roc Trade

To ask other readers questions about Outsiders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outsiders

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Best Twists
279th out of 2,316 books — 4,706 voters
Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
437th out of 2,135 books — 1,607 voters

More lists with this book...

A. E. S.
The Empty Chambers by Neil Gaiman: The first piece in this collection is a poem, and it is a must. One of the five reasons I bought this book. A ghost story. 4/5

The Company You Keep by Steve Resnic Tem: This is a kind of a predictable episode of someone's insanity and gradual suicide. You can almost hear the violins as he remarks on his lack of a social life. 2/5

Under the Needle by Lea Silhol: This kind of story has been done before, but the writing is what gives it its staying power. Partner br
Conal Cochran
Feb 11, 2012 Conal Cochran rated it did not like it
Meh. I hoped that this collection would shake me up a bit, but really, nothing in it works all that well. Most of the stories are competent, but there are a few high and low points:
Jack Ketchum's bit about smokers has a killer premise, but feels too tame, like an Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine story. Brite's story isn't a story, but a chapter from a novel. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the collection, and while it's certainly well-written, isn't my cup of tea. Which is too bad, bec
Kathryn
Jun 16, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I was in a very dark mood, so I picked a very dark book. On reflection, most of the stories weren't very good. Well, a few of them were okay. Tanith Lee's story was artfully decadent, and Expanding Your Capabilities Using Frame/Shift Mode' by David J. Schow was unsettling. The rest swing from subtly creepy to all-out gory and violent but like a lot of "theme" collections they have a hard time getting past simple wish-fulfillment. However, the book was exactly what I needed at the time, so I enjo ...more
Heather Ingemar
Nov 26, 2008 Heather Ingemar rated it did not like it
I bought this book thinking I'd read some fun, gothic YA fiction (found it in the Teen spot in Hastings), and walked away feeling ill. This is NOT a teen/YA book. This is the creepy-beyond-creepy adult horror.

I will say this though: the writers included definitely know their craft, and for that, it was an educational read.

But don't look here unless you want to be sleeping with all the lights on for a week!
Annie Watkins
Apr 30, 2015 Annie Watkins rated it did not like it
Shelves: scifi
I can say that I enjoyed maybe two stories in this entire book. The rest ranged from weird to just disgusting. "Pop Star in the Ugly Bar" by Bentley Little was just gross, a rape fantasy with no hint of a plot and I'm really surprised they added it. The story about the cigarette activists was just dumb. And yes there have been studies about the dangers of second-hand smoke.
Evans Light
Will add reviews of each story as I move through it, picking it up from time to time, not necessarily in order.

POP STAR IN THE UGLY BAR, by Bentley Little: Short and ferociously nasty, this story has no plot, instead heads straight to depravity. One of the sicker things I've read in a while. Can't recommend for the squeamish or offendable. I'm staying away from The Ugly Bar!
Michelle
Aug 23, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes horror or sci fi
I really liked this book as a whole. There were some tremendously good stories in it. There was one that just completely grossed me out on multiple levels, and some that I found boring. The same as you find in any short story collection. But it was worth the read!
Åsa
May 22, 2011 Åsa rated it really liked it
Awesome collection of short stories buy a bunch of really good authors about the weird people on the side of the rest of the world. Neil Gaiman's contribution "The Empty chambers" stayed with me for days. Creepy, charming and weird.
Kimmyh
Jul 11, 2012 Kimmyh rated it really liked it
As with most Anthologies, this was a mixed bag of Good, Bad and 'Eh' stories. Thankfully, there were more good than bad and only a few I'd read before in other Anthologies.
erin
Sep 21, 2010 erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, short-stories
This book was only ok. I bought it because I like Neil Gaiman. Too bad his contribution was a short poem. The rest was a mix of boring, beyond gross, or wtf is going on. Blah.
Elysha Fisher
Jun 23, 2013 Elysha Fisher rated it liked it
Very dark and twisted. Get ready to be approached with topics that really make you think about the darker side of human nature and our potential.
Voidmancer
Jul 19, 2012 Voidmancer rated it really liked it
Some of the stuff in this book is sick, in a really good way. Perfect for those who like a bit of violence ;)
Kayleen
Feb 12, 2012 Kayleen rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Read: The empty chambers, Neil Gaiman.

A cool poem, this one actually really feels like Gaiman.
saricima
Nov 23, 2010 saricima rated it it was ok
i may not have given this book a fair chance either. but i wasnt very into it.
Tracy
May 03, 2010 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting open-ended stories that were not boring
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Nicki
Nicki rated it it was ok
May 12, 2016
Suethua
Suethua marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Elena
Elena rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
ZombieMaegan
ZombieMaegan marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Carl Godfrey
Carl Godfrey marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Kittie Amber
Kittie Amber marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Steve Sick
Steve Sick rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Samantha Snavely
Samantha Snavely marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
  • Revelations
  • The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Orange)
  • The Mammoth Book of Angels and Demons
  • Approaching Oblivion
Nancy Holder, New York Times Bestselling author of the WICKED Series, has just published CRUSADE - the first book in a new vampire series cowritten with Debbie Viguie. The last book her her Possession series is set to release in March 2011.

Nancy was born in Los Altos, California, and her family settled for a time in Walnut Creek. Her father, who taught at Stanford, joined the navy and the family t
More about Nancy Holder...