Start by marking “Lolly Scramble: A Memoir of Little Consequence” as Want to Read:
Lolly Scramble: A Memoir of Little Consequence

Lolly Scramble: A Memoir of Little Consequence

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Comedian Tony Martin has strip-mined his often unremarkable life to tell sixteen small tales fraught with laughter and detail. Choosing to ignore his many dubious achievements in the world of Australian show business (Martin/Molloy, The Late Show, a short-lived but torrid affair with Sharon on Kath & Kim), New Zealand-born Martin instead recalls dozens of tiny life-cha ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Pan Australia

To ask other readers questions about Lolly Scramble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lolly Scramble

Alana
Mar 31, 2014 Alana rated it liked it
The problem with this book isn't Martin's writing style, which is aptly genius, especially when it comes to descriptions. It's not due to the length of stories, or the number. It's not due to the sarcasm meter being filled to the brim or the swearometer being smashed. It's just that Martin's stories are not very interesting and therefore not very funny. Although it's obvious strange things have happened to him and he's met some unusual people, he is purposefully avoiding talking about his life w ...more
Derelict Space Sheep
Feb 09, 2016 Derelict Space Sheep rated it really liked it
42 WORD REVIEW:

The best comedians are those whose humour derives from perspective. Kiwi turned Aussie Tony Martin is one such person, shunning the celebrity world to glean amusement from his everyday life. (Read aloud, his recounting of an amateur theatre mishap becomes life-threateningly funny.)
Lyn Ryan
Apr 23, 2015 Lyn Ryan rated it liked it
Unsurprisingly, Tony Martin's humour pervades this memoir. If you like him, you'll find this an entertaining read. Of little consequence...by his own reckoning.
Beau Johnston
Mar 05, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography, humour
An entertaining read about the life that turned Tony into the comedian he is today. I've always enjoyed Tony's sense of humour because it's relatable.
Michael Pryor
Jun 22, 2015 Michael Pryor rated it really liked it
Hilarious, comical, well-kerned.
Yrinsyde
Sep 06, 2008 Yrinsyde rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Autobiography fans, and those interested in Australia's comedy
Shelves: public-library
I laughed so much reading martin's autobiography!! His stories of growing up in New Zealand reminded me so much of my own childhood (although I grew up in Melbourne AU). 'Badmin Admin' .... I fell about!! Oh gosh. For anyone who is a fan of Degeneration and/or Mick Molloy's and Martin's comic films, this is a must read.
Kathryn
Jul 26, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Tony's anecdotes are very funny, and had me laughing aloud on the train, at home and in the work lunch room. The 'slipping in chuck' bit, for some reason, sent me into an unstoppable giggle loop.
Kari
Mar 16, 2010 Kari rated it really liked it
This was a great book written in typical Tony Martin style. A few funny anecdotes about seemingly normal events - my favourite is the video on the bus story!
Meredith Walker
Oct 20, 2012 Meredith Walker rated it liked it
Very funny. loved that each chapter was a different story so it was easy to read a bit her or there. Made me want to watch Spinal Tap.
Kinjal Sharma-khanna
Hilarious!! A wonderful journey which gives you an insight into the becomings of a great comedian. I loved the skippy story!
Christine
Feb 10, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Very funny read. Enjoyed his stories especially when he was diagnosed with a blood disorder.
Donna
Jan 11, 2009 Donna rated it liked it
A lot of fun, his humour shines through. Had me in hysterics at least once.
Jennifer Forest
Jan 21, 2012 Jennifer Forest rated it really liked it
From terribly sad to wildly hilarious, I've re-read this several times.
Irfan
Apr 26, 2013 Irfan rated it it was amazing
Extremely underrated comic from New Zealand. And a superb writer. A must read.
Nick
Sep 25, 2009 Nick rated it really liked it
I tolds ya. Clint should be kerned right and Skippy goes mental.
Michael
Mar 15, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious all the way through
Vanessa
Mar 06, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Funniest book I've ever read.
Eta
Oct 14, 2011 Eta added it
witty book...enjoying it so far! Love the Kiwi humour!!! :)
Iva
Nov 09, 2010 Iva added it
Will read soon
Matthew Cw
Matthew Cw marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Blanche Sawbridge
Blanche Sawbridge is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Rebekah Fraser
Rebekah Fraser rated it liked it
Tom Day
Tom Day rated it it was amazing
Sue Chapman
Sue Chapman marked it as to-read
starwolvie
starwolvie rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Matt Weston
Matt Weston rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Impractical Jokes
  • Preincarnate
  • Into the Woods: The Battle for Tasmania's Forests
  • Hey! Nietzsche! Leave Them Kids Alone!
  • You'll Be Sorry When I'm Dead
  • Absurdistan: A Bumpy Ride Through Some of the World's Scariest, Weirdest Places
  • Madness: a Memoir
  • Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog Book
  • The Lucy Family Alphabet
  • 48 Shades of Brown
  • Speechless: A Year in My Father's Business
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus: Complete and Annotated - All the Bits
  • The Frood: The Authorised and Very Official History of Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • All That Happened At Number 26
  • Carry a Big Stick
  • Not Enough Indians: A Novel
  • Razor: Tilly Devine, Kate Leigh and the Razor Gangs
  • A Proper Family Christmas
Tony Martin was born in Te Kuiti, New Zealand, in 1964. He was implicated in such projects as The D-Generation, The Late Show, Martin/Molloy, Get This and, more recently, ABC1’s A Quiet Word. He is the author of Lolly Scramble and A Nest of Occasionals. He lives in Melbourne and enjoys writing about himself in the third person.
More about Tony Martin...