Start by marking “Undeclared (Woodlands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Undeclared (Woodlands, #1)

Undeclared (Woodlands #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,254 Ratings  ·  839 Reviews
For four years, Grace Sullivan wrote to a Marine she never met, and fell in love. But when his deployment ended, so did the letters. Ever since that day, Grace has been coasting, academically and emotionally. The one thing she’s decided? No way is Noah Jackson — or any man — ever going to break her heart again.

Noah has always known exactly what he wants out of life. Succes
Published April 28th 2013 by Jen Frederick (first published April 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Undeclared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undeclared

Real by Katy EvansDriven by K. BrombergBully by Penelope DouglasCollide by Gail McHughBeautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
Romance Debuts 2013
41st out of 437 books — 3,981 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireReal by Katy EvansWalking Disaster by Jamie McGuireMine by Katy EvansFighting for Flight by J.B. Salsbury
The Ultimate List of Fighter Romance
66th out of 335 books — 2,278 voters

More lists with this book...

Navessa
I've kept my mouth shut about Jane Litte of Dear Author = Jen Frederick while it all unfolds, but after everything that's come to light, I think it's time I take a stand.

First off, if this was anyone else, Dear Author would have rallied the townsfolk and lit the torches. Thanks to that raging hypocrisy, the deceit on numerous author boards (where a lot of authors are now saying they never would have said the things they did had they known who she was), and the potential for all these authors to
Catarina
Apr 17, 2014 Catarina rated it did not like it
1 Star

I don’t even know where to start with this one. The blurb seemed promising. A love story that started without the protagonist knowing each other, just with letters to a marine during war, until he stops writing back. And when he returns the fight for a second change. It had everything to be a great book, unfortunately… it wasn’t.

description

First, it was Grace. She was immature, whinny and basically all her life resumed at attending classes she wouldn’t care about, go to parties and get drunk, get i
Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Wallflower Addict*
ARC provided by author for an honest review

5 stars!!!
I really enjoyed this reading book. When I read the blurb the first thing that stood out for me was MARINE. Lol! I'm a sucker for a man in uniform!

Grace writes to Noah a marine she's never met as part of a school assignment. This was so cute because they literally sent each other letters via post. In the beginning the letters were quite innocent, but they slowly started becoming a ray of light for Noah and Grace and they fell in love. But unf
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo FreeTuXBbysb_zps5b0c2c6e.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (3/28/2015)

BLURB:

Noah has always known exactly what he wants out of life. Success. Stability. Control. That’s why he joined the Marines and that’s why he’s fightin
Anna
To be completely honest I felt the beginning of the book was a super slow-burn then things ignited too fast and then a random moment and then boom .... The End.

Rambling.com

But I will most definitely read the next book because my interest has been peaked for Bo
Jenn

What I liked about this book:
1. The letters at the beginning of most of the chapters. I felt like Noah was this real solider in Afghan writing home to Grace.
2. The friendship Noah and Grace built up before they started a relationship.
3. Noah only had eyes and feelings for Grace.
4. Noah was many of firsts for Grace.
5. I loved Noah's friends/roommates. Especially his friend Bo.
6. Dual P.O.V's
7. The concept of this story line.
8. H.E.A.
9. The humor in this book.
10. No cliffhanger.
11. Military aspe
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
Jun 23, 2013 Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer* rated it really liked it
Shelves: hea, not-so-bad-boy
"Do you think magnetic polarity can be reversed?"

"Magnets can be reversed. But, for some, their attraction is so strong that they can't be kept apart."

No, this book wasn't really like the Dear John, I mean it had some similarities but it wasn't exactly the same. But I have to admit in the very beginning it had the most similarities and it reminded me of these characters and after that they just stuck in my head. SO, I went with it....

Grace Sullivan was required her freshman year in high school
Kathleen

Hero Rating 5 Stars
Heroine Rating 4 Stars
Heat Level 3 Stars
Overall Rating 4 Stars

What a wonderful and sweet story

WOW! This was not my usual read, but you know what? I REALLYenjoyed this book and I'm very glad that I read it.

Jen Frederick did a wonderful job with this story; it captured me immediately and kept me interested all the way through. I liked that the author wrote the POV’s from both of the main characters,
Brenna
May 03, 2013 Brenna rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
As a high school freshman, Grace starts writing to a Marine as part of a school assignment. Her and Noah end up exchanging letters for four full years, way beyond the assignment that initiated their friendship. During those years, they become extremely important to each other. Grace is Noah’s support and really helps get him through his time in Afghanistan. When Noah all of a sudden sends Grace a “Dear Jane” type letter telling her is only interested in being friends, it ruins all their plans fo ...more
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
2.5 stars ...more
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

4 Stars

My <3 for Noah Jackson is definitely not UNDECLARED!!

Grace Sullivan spent four years of her life writing to Noah Jackson, a then-deployed Marine whom she never met. In the course of getting to know one another over four-years' worth of letters, Grace fell in love, and, honestly, so did Noah. However, when Noah's deployment ended, the letters and all interaction between the two stopped. Noah basically wrote her a Dear Jane letter, and the two didn'
Amber Rose
This story starts off with Grace writing a letter to a Marine, Noah who is deployed over in Afghanistan for her school. They made a instant connection being friends writing back and forth for 4 years.

Now 2 years have pasted, Grace is in college. She still has not heard anything from Noah in 2 years since he said he didn't want to meet her. She is crushed. Grace is always looking around picturing seeing Noah.

Then on day Noah shows up after Grace's class... I would think that Grace would run int
Shae Keris
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

I'm having a hard time deciding about this book. Parts of it I loved completely then other parts I was just unsure about. I loved the letters that were written and the dual POV, but I still felt like certain things were missing. A few things were not answered, What happened to the yogurt shop, did he get it? I wanted more discussion on the Dear John letter. I would have liked them to talk about the 2 years they were not in contact, what happened, feelings??? I wanted Noa
KatLynne
Debut - 3.5 Stars
A sweet, warm romance between a young Marine coming home from deployment and a young college student who fell in love while exchanging letters. They both had to face their greatest fears before their relationship could become solid.

Noah Jackson is a swoon worthy hero both in looks and actions and made the book for me. Clare finally finds the courage needed to make an important decision about her future, thus giving a much needed boost to her self confidence.

I enjoyed the slow b
Jacqueline
Mar 03, 2016 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
How is it I haven't read this author before? I do love second chance stories where the chemistry builds up and there's good tension and banter.

He's a former marine, she's an undergraduate ans up until two years ago, they wrote every month. He leaves the marines, gets his head together then sets about wooing her.

Swoon. So many happy feels.

The upbeat, belly-tingling steady burn in a college setting reminded me in some ways of The Deal and Sincerely Carter and The Hook-up, so if you enjoyed them,
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Sometimes I'm short, other times I'm sweet, and this time...I'll get right to the point.

Undeclared wasn't a bad book, it was good even, but during its transitional journey into being great, it hit a wall. Smacked right into it head first.

Now really, who am I to judge? Sometimes my head accidentally smacks into walls (and other things), and it hurts...usually. However, vast consumptions of enhanced beverages are usually involved, but I'm sure we've all hit a wall or two in our time.

Oh yes, I p
Julie James
Jun 02, 2013 Julie James rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book--my first foray into the New Adult genre. The main characters, particularly the heroine, struggle with indecisiveness and at times make impulsive decisions, but I found that to be an authentic depiction of their ages. I really liked the unique set-up of the book, in which the heroine and hero *meet* while corresponding via letters while he's deployed overseas in the Marines. Loved the scene later in the book when he gives her his dog tags.

I look forward to reading more in the
Sara
Aug 21, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sara by: Michele
Another good book!! YAY for me!!!

As part of a class project, Grace became pen pals with Noah while he was serving for the Marine's in Afganistan. For the duration of highschool (all 4 years) they wrote each other once a month and she sent several care packages over the years. After 4 years she gets a Dear Jane letter, where he says she's like a little sister to him, and that they wont be meeting. Talk about killing a girls hopes and dreams. Its two years later now, and Grace is a sophmore in col
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Omg where can I find a Noah..he's a dream in every way!
My favorite part was when he cleaned her makeup off her face when she was drunk. He didn't have a mama so that right there even made it much more sweeter for him to have done that. I loved everything about this book because it was so refreshing to have a book where there isn't such jealousy and mistrust. The forces that tried to keep this sweet couple apart was just simple human nature. Noah messed up..made it up then got the girl and girl
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
I enjoyed this book but at the same time I felt the details at time were messed up by things not being told to us in detail. And the pace was irritating by going normal at times but also randomly jumping to fast.
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Check out this and my other reviews at My Blog

Book Basics

Genre : - Cont NA/YA Romance
Series : - Book 1 in the series.
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - Yes
Rating 4 stars

Review

When this popped up as free, I grabbed it straight away. Having read the Hitman series this author co wrote, and loved it, I was excited to try something els
Arlene
May 07, 2013 Arlene rated it liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Jen Frederick
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

I was offered the opportunity to read and review Undeclared by Jen Frederick and I truly enjoyed it. So thank you Ms. Frederick for providing me a review copy of your book.

As of late, I tend to gravitate to books that have a glimpse of military backdrop in their setting. I have to commend these authors for offering us a sense of what our service men and women go through when they are deployed for stretches of time and then expected to acclimate back into civilian l
A. Bookzilla.
I really, really liked Undeclared.

It was fairly drama free, it had two awesome main characters, a great cast of supporting ones and, while the author was stretching it a bit - which she admits herself in the end, I thought it was a great, unique story.

Noah was a nice guy! That's the first thing you need to know about this book. If you're tired of the obligatory tattooed bad boy womanizer hero, this is your book. Because Noah was a nice guy, consistently, until the end. I never once thought he mi
Kelly
Feb 15, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
I like the idea of this book, but I was a little wary of the age issue when I first started reading it. Grace is 14 when she first starts writing to Noah. He's only 18, so it's not a huge gap, but... FOURTEEN. Over the four years they're writing, she falls for him. Hard. Like, to the point she doesn't really even look at other men. Because, you know, no one can stand up to the picture she's drawn of him from his letters.

Honestly, her initial age could have been a major squick factor for me. Exce
London
Heat/Steam 1/5
Cliffhanger: . No.
Intolerable Heroine .Yes.
Über Douchebagery .Yes.
Taboo Subject Matter .no.
Cheating or sex outside MC's: (view spoiler)
Love Triangle (view spoiler)
description

I really hated this book. It enrages me that the heroine forgave the heroine so quickly when she had spent 2 years completely heartbroken over his
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
This book was okay. A lot of it felt inorganic. The relationship between Grace an Noah was great, but the conflict was so manufactured it took away from the natural chemistry.
Michelle
Oct 13, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
College sophomore, Grace isn’t one that puts herself out there. She’s been happy just following while everyone else leads. A little unsure and a whole lot of unexperienced, she still hasn’t gotten over her crush on Noah. The Marine she wrote letters to as a part of a High School project. For four years they wrote letters, until he just stopped. Now two years later, Grace gets the shock of her life when Noah and his best friend Bo show up at her college.

Noah had no options, joining the Marines ga
Kim Person
May 07, 2013 Kim Person rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Grace Sullivan had formed a relationship with a handsome Marine Noah Jackson after becoming pen-pals while he was stationed overseas. Grace had diligently written to Noah for 4 years and seriously thought once he got out they would FINALLY meet in person. Well, when Undeclared starts out you get to see exactly what Grace's life is like, even thought she is a College student, let's just say she wasn't truly "living." It was enough to make me.............................

See some promises weren't k
Christine

This story was very sweet, lighthearted, and romantic. I was looking for a nice contemporary romance and glad I read Undeclared.

At first, Grace appeared very immature the way she thinks about her relationship with Noah, but then after much thought, I came to this conclusion. Grace is young and truly believed that this man that she had never met felt the same she did until she received a letter from him saying that he wanted to be nothing more than friends.

And this is where my opinion changed ab
Andrea
Aug 09, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Undeclared has such a great premise: Grace, a high school girl, is assigned to correspond with a soldier. She is matched with Noah, barely out of school himself, and overseas. Thus begins a friendship that lasted four years, and ended when Noah turned Grace down when she admitted she had feelings for him and wanted to meet. A heartbroken Grace can't forget Noah. After two years, Noah is stronger, ready to find Grace, and win her heart back.

So between the potential of a truly special love story,
New Adult Book Club: This topic has been closed to new comments. #27 - Undeclared 186 356 Jan 13, 2014 05:47AM
  • Sanctuary of Mine
  • Wicked Thing
  • This Love (University of Branton, #1)
  • Limits (Silver Strand, #3)
  • How It Rolls (Love and Skate, #2)
  • Sacked
  • Gravity Happens (Forcing Gravity, #2)
  • Finding Grace
  • A Long Time Coming (Perfect Timing #2)
  • Faster We Burn (Fall and Rise, #2)
  • Live for You (Boys of the South, #1)
  • In a Heartbeat (Heartbeat, #1)
  • Love and the Real Boy (Coming About #2)
  • Risk the Night
  • Giving it to the Bad Boy (Tattooed and Pierced, #1)
  • Josh & Hannah (Redwood Falls, #1)
  • Redesigned (Off the Subject, #2)
  • Brother's Keeper

Woodlands (5 books)
  • Unspoken (Woodlands, #2)
  • Unraveled (Woodlands, #3)
  • Unrequited (Woodlands, #4)
  • Unwritten (Woodlands, #5)

“The Marines may have made me a man, but Grace made me human.” 28 likes
“It’s easier to have a relationship with someone who isn’t there than someone who is.” 10 likes