Flat-Out Matt (Flat-Out Love, #1.5)

Flat-Out Matt (Flat-Out Love #1.5)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  6,917 ratings  ·  909 reviews
Matt is a junior at MIT. He’s geeky, he's witty, he's brilliant.

And he’s also very, very stupid.

When beautiful, cool, insightful Julie moves in with Matt’s family, why (oh why!) does he pretend to be his absent brother Finn for her alleged benefit?

It seems harmless enough until her short-term stay becomes permanent. And until it snowballs into heart-squeezing insanity. An...more
Published March 25th 2013

Aestas Book Blog

SQUEEEE!!! THERE'S MORE!!!!!!!

“I want the guy. The everything guy. Not the dumb Prince Charming, nauseatingly-perfect-everything guy. That’s pathetic. I want the flaws-and-all, everything guy.”

Please note that this novella MUST be read after Flat-Out Love. M’kay?? After!! No exceptions! ‘Cuz it gives away the whole twist to that book and it’s really worth going through that journey first. I view Flat-Out Matt more as an extension of FOL. You can’t read it first and it is not written as a sta...more
Gabriella *is awesome*
i am so totally upset right now.....im just going to use a gif to describe it after all....

there were soooooo maney parts i just wished made it to the final cut....other than the bonus end scene,in julies pov...i found matts persepective to be nothing but just a few lines re-edited and put back into THE BOOK....

so totally sad right now....im definatley rambling....right ? :p
Christy
 photo 3b4385aa-9c43-43af-8ba2-49cef66e3a7d_zpsa3db8da3.jpg

If you loved Flat-Out Love, you will love this one!!! Two prequel chapters (with live Finn in them) Several chapters from Flat-Out Love written from Matty’s pov, and two bonus chapters! Loved it!!!

In Flat-Out Love, we meet Matt. He is a geek, but he is also cute, sweet, and all kinds of awesome.
“You’ve got a spirit like nobody else. Please try to remember that. You’re more than just the smart one.”

photo e5962f98-c110-4447-94bb-6d3d41544b65_zps767c639b.jpg

Matt is getting ready to start his junior year at MIT. He is not the typical college student. He...more
Maria
9/10

First things first - I was a beta reader - I don't ever let that affect my reviews, but full disclosure and all...

Oh dear...what can I say about Flat-Out Matt??

It's perfect.

Flat-Out Love was one of my favorite finds of 2012...and it's on my top 5 ALL TIME favorites list! When I saw on Jessica Park's Facebook wall that she was writing this - I got a little quivery inside! :-) Julie, Finn, Matt, and Celeste hold a special place in my heart, and I was DYING at the though of more from them!! An...more
MATTY!!!!!!!!! <3

Loved the last chapter!!! Sex!!! WOOO!! LOL!!!
But really it was perfect between them! Sweet and sexy!

Loved getting Matt's thoughts and feelings. When I read Flat-Out Love sometimes I wasn't even sure if he really liked her and I wanted them together so bad. But in this we see all his thoughts and reasoning.

The first chapter with Matt and Finn made me cry! So sad!
Liis McKinstry
It was a cold day in Toronto. I reached my 3 coffee limit for the day at 10am and I had to clean the house. No matter the cheery spin I tried to put on it, it was looking to be an unpleasant weekend. Then I had the absolute privilege to read the ARC for Flat-Out Matt.

I fell in love with Matt when I saw him through Julie’s eyes in Flat-Out Love and have adored him ever since. Flat-Out Love had me in stitches one moment, and sobbing uncontrollably the next. I hold this book in very high regard, an...more
♥Rachel♥
***Spoilers if you haven’t read Flat-Out Love***

This was a PERFECT ending to Flat-Out Love! Flat-Out Love is one of my all-time favorite stories full of wit, humor, and of course, my favorite: ROMANCE!! I was beyond thrilled to hear we we’re getting some of the chapters in Matt’s POV as well as some extra chapters and a continuation of the story. I have my heaps of highlighted sections in this story because every page was that good!!

It was lovely to get inside Matt's head, and see what he was t...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
This is a companion piece to JP's full length book, Flat-Out Love, and I would really recommend reading them together. You will get so much more out of the book that way.

Read the two prequel chapters from this book and then read Flat-Out Love, stopping to read the corresponding chapters in this book. That will leave the last chapter of this book to read when you finish Flat-Out Love. A little confusing I know but once you start reading, you will get it.

Here's my review for Flat-Out Love:

ht...more
Lauren
"I want the guy. The everything guy. not the dumb Prince Charming, nauseatingly-perfect-everything guy. That's pathetic. I want the flaws-and-all, everything guy."

Matthew Watkins had me tripping over myself falling for him in Flat-Out Love. He was the flaws-and-all guy. Seeing him through Julie's eyes made me feel like I was falling for this overly nerdy but somehow cool guy who cares a hell of a lot for his little sister. You learn what he did and personally, I forgave him the second Julie foun...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Declining to write a real review or rate this book. I'm not going to rehash my personal opinions about other off-site issues because we went there already on my review for Flat-Out Love. My opinions haven't changed and I won't be reading anything new by this author, but I wanted the closure for Matt and Julie's story that I didn't get in FoL, so I decided to read this short follow-up companion for that reason.

Moving on. If you haven't read Flat-Out Love, do not pick this up or you will be confus...more
Ivy G.
This was me after reading FLAT OUT MATT

photo CrazyDancing_zps620a91f8.gif

Perfect ending to FLAT OUT LOVE!!!
It was so perfect that I am going to read it again...

If you adored Matt before, you're going to FLAT OUT FALL in LOVE with Matt.
He is so awesome, funny, & caring that you just wish you can just stick him in your purse & take him every where with you.

Matt's POV was so fantastic & it was so nice to take a peak into this genius's head.

If you haven't read Flat out Love, then get on that!

If you HAVE read Flat...more
Jessica's Book Review
Read more reviews at Jessica’s Book Review | Find Me on Facebook

Flat-Out Love was one of my favorite books of 2012. I found it sad, emotional, loveable, and humorous all at the same time. Matt and Julie were adorable and I was so happy when they finally “hooked up”. I couldn’t wait to read Flat-Out Matt and get into that hot geek’s head! He had the weight of the world on his shoulders playing the parent, big brother, and only sane one in his house since the death of the oldest brother Finn. Cele...more
Susan

***brace yourselves...NON M/M REVIEW! *gasp*

"Flat out Love" was a decent enough book, but lets face it...Matt, the nerdy MIT student carrying the weight of his dysfunctional family on his shoulders, was the STAR of the story. So, I was super excited to get this follow-up short from Matt's point of view.

The problem? It was BORING! And truly, it was stuff that was already inferred to and obvious from reading Julie's original POV. I didn't mind the extra sumthin' sumthin' at the end since...more
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
I LOVE YOU MATT

4.75-5 Stars

**DISCLAIMER: First off, if you have not read Flat-Out Love, there’s something seriously wrong with you. GO And read it NOW! Secondly, this is not a stand-alone story. It will NOT make any sense, you will get spoiled and you will not appreciate the awesomeness of this novella.**

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jessica, for writing this kick ass novella. I read Flat-Out-Love back in Oc...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**2.5 stars**

I don't think I'm going to read any more of these "re-telling from the other main character's perspective" books. I always end up thinking the same thing- "I already read this when I read the ORIGINAL story!" This book is basically no different. The prequel stuff way okay (though too "foretelling" for my tastes) but the whole middle of this book was stuff easily gotten from reading the original book.

I have to say though, I love this author's voice. Her style is super funny and she...more
Sonia ღ
And i'm in love with Matt all over again.
Ariana
“Julie Seagle just ‘checked in’ to your heart”.
In fact that was Matt.. and I’m talking pretty much about my heart here :)

I didn’t quite acknowledge my deep feelings for “Flat-Out Love”, not until I picked up this tiny book and realized how much I loved the characters, how much I missed them all.
It was always the dialog that won me over. The genuine honesty with which the characters talked, the humor in their lines, the teasing behind their little chats, all the feelings that were hidden underne...more
Britney
I absolutely and wholeheartedly loved this book!! Matty was my favorite character in FoL so it was so great to have this book told from his pov. I loved that Finn was in this book! It showed the extent of how much each member of his family relied on him and how he was the glue that held them together. I was able to connect with the family and their grief in this book unlike in FoL. You really feel just how much of an impact Finn had when he was present and absent. You also feel the loss and conn...more
Shannon The Show Stopper
What can I say? I love my nerdy guys!

"I want the guy. The everything guy. Not the dumb Prince Charming, nauseatingly perfect-everything guy. That's pathetic. I want the flaws-and-all, everything guy."

These characters are so real and that's probably why I love them so much!

photo geek-love_zps8e105180.jpg

I loved getting to meet Finn! I was so caught up in how much Celeste missed Finn in Flat-Out Love that I never gave a lot of thought as to how much Matty missed him and how hard it was on him too.

I love Matty so much... I r...more
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. This was an amazing companion to Flat-Out Love and that epilogue…

“You won’t fall madly out-of-your-brains in love? Let your world as you know it be blown to bits because you fall heart-crushingly head-over-heels for someone?”

What a read! I fell in love with the characters all over again. With a front row seat to Matt’s thoughts, great humor, and a steamy ending, what more could you ask for?

Live his side of the story, break when his heart breaks, and fall for the...more
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
4.5 Flat-Out Awesome Stars!

*sigh* I loved Matt in FOL. And I loved Matt even more after reading FOM. I read FOL so long ago that it was so nice to re-visit these characters.

This is a short book and should definitely be read after FOL. I loved that we got a few chapters at the beginning of when Finn was alive and before Julie moved in to the house. It gave us an idea of the family dynamics prior to the death of Finn.

The 4 or 5 chapters we got from Matt's POV were just perfect. They were the key...more
Amy (Foxy)
***3.75 stars***

"I do need you, Matt. You're my best friend, and we're in this together."

Standalone & Novella:
Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1) by Jessica Park Flat-Out Matt (Flat-Out Love, #1.5) by Jessica Park
Each book is one character's POV of the same story.

105th book for 2013
Tough Critic Book Reviews
I love Matt!! Every fan of Flat Out Love needs to read this. That last chapter alone makes it worth it! I want more!!!
Katie (GTBC)
Every once in a while a book comes along that touches you on a deeper level and that you carry with you long after you have read the last words, it is no secret how much I adored Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park. It was that book for me. It had it all, heartbreak, deceit, love, loyalty, devotion, jealousy, despair… every emotion. I like for a book to take me on a journey and FOL did that… so needless to say I was very excited when Jessica announced she was writing a novella from Matt’s POV… I knew...more
Michelle

I absolutely loved Flat out Love . So I was so excited to read Flat out Matt. This book was simply a joy to read. I absolutely adore and love geeky Matt and Celeste's voracious vocabulary skills.
The skydiving chapter was just beautiful. Lastly, Jessica Park named the last chapter/epilogue Keep Going and I simply wanted this chapter to keep going.. I wanted more of Julie and Matt.

“You are my everything,” Julie...more
♥ Sarah
2.5 - 3 stars

Flat Out Love is one of my all-time favorite books ever. That being said, FoM was totally unnecessary – it didn’t really add anything to the story, or the characters. I was kind of bored. Also, I actually felt the sexual content in the book ruined Matty and Julie’s relationship for me. Personally, I preferred the ending in FoL.

FoM was basically a retelling of very specific chapters in Matt’s POV, which may give readers a context of who Matty was prior to the Finn incident, and a g...more
Catarina
This book was so freakin' sweet!! :D
I really missed Julie and Matt, that are probably the most geekly sweet couple of all times.
But I missed especially Celeste and her grown-up way of talking. She is to damn cute!
It was really nice to meet Finn (the 3D version, not the 2D), but it was also bittersweet because we all knew what was going to happen next.
Matt's POV were really great, but I liked especially the last chapter. When I finished reading Flat-Out Love I thought that that was lacking in t...more
Lise *friends don't flag*
Perfect little companion novella to a favorite of mine, Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

Julie and Matt are such a sweet, smart and refreshing couple.

I so enjoy Jessica Park's writing and am looking forward to her NA book coming out this summer, Left Drowning by Jessica Park
Karla

4 Stars!! I didn’t think I could I love these characters any more than when I read about them in Flat Out Love, but I do, I do!!! I’m over the moon in love with them!!!

Review to follow...
Amy ♥
Felt just like going back to visit old friends. I loved seeing Matty, Julie and Celeste again :o)
Crazy for Young A...: Flat Out Matt (Flat Out Love #1.5) by Jessica Park → Start Date: March 24, 2014 26 17 Mar 25, 2014 03:11PM
Flat Out Love 7 118 Aug 23, 2013 03:33PM
A movie ? 8 103 Jun 01, 2013 06:51PM
  • Measuring Up
  • Emancipating Andie
  • Finding Cinderella (Hopeless, #2.5)
  • Depths (Lengths, #2)
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness, #2)
  • Uncharted (On the Island, #1.5)
  • Never Look Back (Emi Lost & Found, #3)
  • Painted Faces
  • Warmth in Ice (Find You in the Dark, #2.5)
  • Here Without You (Between the Lines, #4)
  • Thomas & January (Sleepless, #2)
  • Sweet Thing (Sweet Thing, #1)
  • And With Madness Comes the Light (Experiment in Terror, #6.5)
  • Second Chance Boyfriend (One Week Girlfriend Quartet, #2)
  • Butterfly Weeds (Butterfly Weeds, #1)
  • Blackbird (Sometimes Never, #1.5)
  • Because of You (Playing with Fire, #2)
  • The Last Hour (Thompson Sisters, #3)
Jessica Park is the author of the young adult novels FLAT-OUT LOVE and RELATIVELY FAMOUS; five Gourmet Girl mysteries (written as Jessica Conant-Park with her mother, mystery author Susan Conant); and the e-shorts FACEBOOKING RICK SPRINGFIELD and WHAT THE KID SAYS (Parts 1 & 2).

Jessica grew up in the Boston area and attended Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. After spending four years...more
More about Jessica Park...
Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1) Left Drowning Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love, #2) Relatively Famous What the Kid Says (and Sometimes What I Say)

“How you find love means nothing. It’s what you do with it when you see it that does.” 51 likes
“You are my everything,” Julie said. “You are challenging, and difficult, and guarded. I love those things about you. You are fascinating, and complex, and brilliant, and funny. I love those things about you, too. I am in love with your selflessness and your ability to sacrifice too much. I am in love with the parts of you that fear and that hurt and that push people away. I am love in with your vulnerability and your strength. I am in love with your capacity to love harder and with more loyalty than I ever imagined anyone could. I am in love with the choices you’ve made, even the mistakes, because they brought us to where we are right now. More than those things, I am very simply in love with you and everything that you are. Your past, your present, and your future.” She touched her fingers to him, tracing his lips and then moving across his jaw and over his cheek. “I think about you all the time, and I can’t get you out of my head. I am listening to my heart, finally, without doubting anything. And I will never stop.” And then she kissed him. Long and hard and endlessly, only eventually slowing. “Now open your eyes and look at me. I feel everything that you feel, Matt. I always have, and I know that now. And it is time to stop hurting.” 34 likes