Start by marking “Trying Not to Love You (Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trying Not to Love You (Love, #1)

Trying Not to Love You (Love #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  12,330 Ratings  ·  856 Reviews
MacKenzie Cahill has dealt with overbearing and overprotective brothers her entire life, making it near impossible to enjoy her teenage years. Having a boyfriend was practically impossible until she met a guy that wasn't afraid to stand up to them - Dominic. He was sweet, thoughtful, and everything MacKenzie ever wanted in a man.

But when they go away to college at Old Domi
ebook
Published May 17th 2013 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Trying Not to Love You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trying Not to Love You

Jen
Oct 20, 2014 Jen rated it did not like it
2 - 3 Stars. Maybe?

I'm not quite sure how to rate this one. I liked the story idea but the writing itself didn't really do much for me. When I'm reading a book sometimes I hear voices in my head. Not the freaky ass kind that tell you to run around and bark like a dog, but the kind of voices that tell me what the book would sound like if I were listening to the audio version. The voice for this book would be a sort of monotone mumbling. “I did this and then that. He said some stuff and I cried.”
Kim Person
May 19, 2013 Kim Person rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Ladies, oh Ladies, are you ready to take a little ride with MacKenzie (Kenzie), Hunter, Dominic, Hailey, Jaylinn, Mason, Cooper, Jackson and Chloe? Well let me tell you I jumped right into this one and I was ....

Kenzie has been in love with Hunter for as long as she can remember but being the youngest and the little sister to 3 older VERY PROTECTIVE brothers who are also best friends with Hunter may get in the way of Kenzie getting what she wants. See Kenzie was brave enough once to tell Hunter
Stephanie
I need to stop reading books in which a good (or, at the very least, promising) premise is completely destroyed by awful execution. I can't take it anymore! I feel bad writing negative reviews because it takes courage to write something and put it out there for the world to see but I think some authors need to take a step back at times and ask themselves if their work is ready for public consumption. This book is definitely not ready. The writing is robotic and juvenile. I am not a fan of books ...more
Mariah
Dec 03, 2013 Mariah rated it did not like it
I truly wanted to like this book. The plot sounded really good and I think that a lot more could have been done with it. But honestly i couldn't even finish it. I am in shock at the high ratings and they were misleading.

First of all, I didn't like or relate to any of the characters. Every single one was shallow and one demential. Every conversation they have was just so unrealistic and awkward. Authors, contractions are OKAY! I promise! My god it was so hard to read with the "I am" and "do not"

A
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
May 19, 2013 Jessica *The Lovely Books* rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, rox-my-sox
That was amazing!

I am still in shock from that ending!! Sweet baby Jesus that ending...!!!

I loved everything about the book. Everything. The plot was great, the characters were stinkin' awesome, and the romance was sexy and steamy.

I wrote a LONG review on Goodreads earlier and deleted it by accident:(
So this is the short version. But it will also be up on my blog later! So yeah!

I fell in love with ALL the characters. Every single last one of one of them. I felt so many emotions and I couldn't pu
Laura's Book Addiction
Soooo freaking awesome. But that ending I need book 2 NOW please
Kat
Jan 19, 2014 Kat rated it it was ok
description

Estúpido. Estúpido. Estúpido. Estúpido. Y, oh no, espera, si.... ESTÚPIDO.
Este libro es un tostón, quiero decir, vamos a ver.. Hubiera sido un jodido buen libro, si, un libro malditamente cliché y predecible, pero un buen libro si la autora hubiera sabido desarrollar la historia y los personajes, pero no, fue cliché, predecible como ninguno y dramático a mas no poder, pero un drama estúpido, ¿me entienden?
Y oh por favor, no hablemos de la estupidez de MacKenzie, creo que cuando Dios repartió la
Tray
May 20, 2013 Tray rated it really liked it
Trying Not To Love You (Love Series) is the debut novel from Megan Smith. It's the story of what happens when you fall in love with the boy next door (or across the street). In Mackenzie Cahill's life, nothing happens. Because that boy is Hunter McCormick, her twin brothers' best friend.
Kenzie fell for Hunter the first time she saw him. She was ten and came home from school to find a strange boy sitting at the kitchen table with her brothers, Cooper and Mason. The new boy was Hunter, and his f
Jacqueline's Reads
Oct 21, 2013 Jacqueline's Reads marked it as did-not-finish
I started Trying Not To Love You because I will see Megan Smith at a book signing event. First off, I love her writing style, it's easy going, has nice flow and I love the cover (very romantic).

I label it as "did not finish", BUT I fully intend to finish. It's just around the 50% mark I got .... distracted. I do not like love triangles and although it's not a full love triangle book, it drives me nuts when girls stay with a guy because the guy she actually wants isn't an option. Do not settle la
 ⊱✿⊰ Kitty Kat's Crazy About Books ⊱✿⊰
I loved this book, anything with over-protective siblings and the love of a childhood friend and I inhale that book, this book was no different..
I'm just glad that I was forewarned about the bugger of a cliff hanger at the end of this, so I was prepared, because anyone who knows me knows that I HATE CLIFFHANGERS!! And I HATED this CLIFFHANGER!!
Because I never saw it coming!

Ok now that I've calmed down, I highly recommend this book!!

Now the sucky bit happens when I sit and sit waiting for book 2
Amanda
I didn't know Trying Not To Love You is a song by Nickelback until they mentioned the song in the book. While I loved the song, I can't say the same for the book.

The premise to Trying Not To Love You sounded good and I hadn't read any other book really containing very overprotective brothers. This is what the whole book is kind of based on, MacKenzie's brothers being overprotective of her. And they are.

Oh my, are they ever.

Jackson, Mason and Cooper took being protective to a whole new level. I
Wendy
May 19, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beta-and-arc-s
Mackenzie/Kenzie/CC has loved Hunter McCormick since she was 10 yrs old. At age 13, a game of Truth OR Dare is played that makes forever changes in CC.

I would remember that kiss always, my first kiss. It might not have meant anything to Hunter, but it meant the world to me.

Too bad CC's older brothers are Hunter's best friends. He will never choose her over them. At least not yet!

YAY!!!!

5 yrs later-

This book had me riveted! I swear the steam coming from these two could heat up my whole house fo
Ashley
I feel two stars is rather generous, but since I had to give Entwined w you 1 star and hated it with a burning passion-- I couldn't give this one the same # of stars or score. If 1.5 would have been an option I think that would have been accurate. Basically, I just don't get the reason for this story being written. Two young people fall in love, but can't be together because her brothers are too over protective. There's no back story as to why, there's no trauma in her past that makes their ...more
Book Addict Mumma
May 17, 2013 Book Addict Mumma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-fave
Trying Not to Love you is definitely one of my favorite books of 2013, it made me laugh and absolutely sob my heart out.
This book is captivating from the first sentence, the relationship between Hunter and Kenzie or CC as he calls her is intense, passionate and sweet.
The characters in the book are so well developed that they feel like friends and family, I was brought into their family by Megan's amazing writing skills.
Hunter and Kenzie have so much love, angst to work through due to her brother
Chrissy Sharp
May 20, 2013 Chrissy Sharp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-favorites
Holy Fuck Me Sideways! Trying Not To Love You is officially being added to my favorites of 2013. Megan Smith does an amazing job at captivating you with this story. She makes you feel a connection with ALL of the characters in this book and not just the main characters.

This is a story of true love, passion, resistance. Trying to fight what your heart is telling you that you need. This is a story about Mackenzie Cahill and Hunter McCormick. Kenzie has been in love with Hunter since she was 10 yea
Carver's Book Cravings
May 14, 2013 Carver's Book Cravings rated it it was amazing
Mackenzie "Chubby Cheeks" Cahill is living in a bubble that her overbearing controlling brothers put her in. Her brothers make it impossible for her to fully enjoy life, and the boys in it. If anyone who shows any interest in her romantically they bully and beat them up.

From the moment Mackenzie first laid eyes on Hunter she just knew he was the one. The only problem is Hunter is her brother's best friend and is off limits. Really off limits. Over the years they developed a friendly, flirty rela
Becky
Oct 13, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
*Copy of book provided by author for an honest review*

For additional reviews please visit http://realitybites-letsgetlost.blogs...

It all started with a kiss in the rain.....

Couple Kissing in Rain photo: kiss Kissing_in_fake_rain_by_The_Rob.jpg

Do you remember your first crush? The butterflies you would get just being in the same room as him? That all consuming innocent puppy love that seems to take over your whole world for the duration of that crush.

And what about that first love? And how you are convinced that you will never love another as much as you love that
Flor
Dec 03, 2013 Flor rated it it was ok
Slightly spolier-ish review

This book doesn't have much story to it. When I was halfway through I was thinking how would the story stretch for like 100 pages and kept waiting for something interesting to happen. Obviously I was disappointed. It's not the fact that every single thing that happened it was an overused cliche. I usually don't mind cliches when the writer knows how to work around them. Some writers use the same plot but still manage to add something personal, whether its awesome cha
Jessica
May 22, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
This is hard for me to review. The actual story idea is amazing. I loved that Kenzie and Hunter had a relationship going back to childhood. I loved the family dynamics and the role of her best friend. But the writing brought it down, IMO. I don't think teens speak to each other like "I do not know why he was not there." (this isn't an actual sentence from the story but it shows what I'm referring to). It just messed with the flow of the story and the actual dialogue itself. It's robotic and ...more
Lindsay Delagair
Jun 01, 2013 Lindsay Delagair rated it it was amazing
Prepare to swoon!

Hmm…what do you do when you have three overly protective older brothers? Not a whole lot…lol. At ten years old, MacKenzie Cahill sets her sights on a stunningly handsome boy, Hunter. The problem? He is best friends with her brothers. At the tender age of 13, during a game of Truth or Dare, Hunter becomes her first kiss…and then is sternly warned by her brothers that he’d better NEVER do that again! Secretly, she longs for him as she goes through her teen years, but when she lets
Doreen Lane
May 18, 2013 Doreen Lane rated it it was amazing
OMG, that book was AMAZING, way beyond what I thought it was going to be, highly recommend this book!!!
Juliana Cabrera
Aug 15, 2014 Juliana Cabrera rated it really liked it
Guest reviewer for The Book List Reviews

*Provided ARC in return for honest review*

So first I want to thank the wonderful Megan Smith. She only knew me through Facebook and trusted me with an ARC of her work when I told her I guest blogged. Thank you so very much Megan :)

Well what can I say about Trying Not to Love You....I fell in love :) I am a sucker for the friends turned lovers theme and this book did for me. Plus they are all from New Jersey...Jackpot
Natalie Trantham
May 17, 2013 Natalie Trantham rated it it was amazing
I started reading Trying Not to Love You Sunday night I believe it was, and I did not want to stop. (Monday morning at work was ROUGH!) Honestly, I'm not quite what sure it was about the book that drew me in. I think it may be that the characters are so well done, and that they have such real dialogues and problems they are dealing with. In any case, she hooked me right away. Thr further I got into the book, the more I wanted to read. By the time I made it to the end, I couldn't wait to find out ...more
Darke
May 19, 2013 Darke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book !!!!!!!OMG OMG
but I need to know what will happen next ....I mean seriously ..that ending was just ....arghhhhhhhh I can't wait till this fall for 2nd book!!!!
Just please PLEASE (view spoiler)
MELISSA
Jun 08, 2013 MELISSA rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was such a wonderful book! McKenzie has 3 very overprotective gorgeous older brothers. When she is 10 new neighbor Hunter enters her life. He is best friends with her brothers, and is considered off limits to her, that is until they end up at the same college together & the brothers are far away! ;)
Michelle
That was brilliant luvd the story, character an what can I say about hunter he is just sexy adorable the list could go on its a must read an this is her first book can't wait 4 the second wish I had it now
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
May 13, 2013 CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD rated it really liked it
Omg, why the cliffhanger!? I love this book, not loving the cliffhanger right now....
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Trying Not To Love You is a MASTER PIECE yes you heard me right this book is a master piece. One I will read and re-read for years to come. When I am grey and old I will re-read this book because it was totally EPIC! Man I have never read a story that totally had me enthralled right from the start. Man I captivated right from page one and stayed glued to the book until I finished it.

God I am going to try and do this review without giving any spoilers and lord that is going to be very hard but t
Jocar
May 25, 2013 Jocar rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. The premise appealed to me but unfortunately , for me, the delivery let it down. The writing style was stilted and awkward. It didn't flow and I felt that the unnatural dialogue (I cannot believe/ he is leaving me alone/ I did not feel- who talks like that?!) meant that some emphasis on important points in the story were completely missed as everything had a fairly monotone delivery.

The reasons for hunter and cc not being together just felt contrived to me, as
  • This Trust of Mine (Raine, #2)
  • Love Me Back (The Basso Brothers, #1)
  • Saved (Wanted, #2)
  • Change of Heart (Change of Heart #1)
  • Waiting on Forever (The Forever Series, #2)
  • Stripped (Stripped, #1)
  • Let Love Stay (Love, #2)
  • Promise Me
  • Irreparably Broken (Irreparable, #1)
  • Pieces of You (Shattered Hearts, #3)
  • Delayed Penalty (Crossing the Line, #1)
  • Misjudged (Misjudged, #1)
  • Love Love
  • Anywhere with You (With You, #1)
  • April Showers (April, #1)
  • The Love Game (The Game, #1)
  • Stay
  • Chase (Resisting Love, #1)
Megan Smith is a USA TODAY Bestselling author who’s a stay-at-home mom and writes full-time. She is lives in New Jersey with her husband, five year old son and soon to be daughter (Due in June 2016). When she’s not writing, you can find her reading romance novels, listening to music, and laughing with her family.

Fans of The Love Series are captivated by relationships, special bonds and family ties
More about Megan Smith...

Love (6 books)
  • Easy to Love You (Love, #2)
  • Hard to Love You (Love, #3)
  • Let Me Love You (Love, #4)
  • Made to Love You (Love, #5)
  • Need to Love You (Love, #6)

“He stopped walking when we reached his truck, looked from the ground to my lips and then he took a step closer to me, pushing me until my back was up against the cold wet truck. He reached up and cupped my face. "I'm done trying to stay away," he sighed then continued.
"I can't do it anymore. I need you like my life depends on it." The rain was streaming down on us but right now, I did not care.
"I just need you." He gently pulled my head to him and whispered, "I am going to kiss you now.”
13 likes
“Just remember everything happens for a reason. We just have to pick ourselves up, and look on the bright side of life.” 9 likes