Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “El jesuita: conversaciones con el cardenal Jorge Bergoglio” as Want to Read:
El jesuita: conversaciones con el cardenal Jorge Bergoglio
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

El jesuita: conversaciones con el cardenal Jorge Bergoglio

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Pese a que conocer el desarrollo de una elección papal no es una tarea fácil porque está rodeada de un gran secreto, la prensa especializada coincidió en que el argentino Jorge Bergoglio fue el cardenal más votado después de Joseph Ratzinger en la elección que consagró al purpurado alemán como Benedicto XVI. Nunca antes un latinoamericano había cosechado tanta cantidad de ...more
Paperback, 1st, 192 pages
Published 2010 by Vergara, Grupo Zeta
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about El jesuita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El jesuita

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 588)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Maria
This book is an easy introduction to the new pope with interviews from before he was pope. There is a lot of focus on Argentina, but the book also touches on his personal history and his thoughts on the Church. Provides many beautiful quotes that provide a lot of food for thought.
Jose Gaona
Condescendiente y adulador cúmulo de conversaciones con el entonces cardenal Bergoglio. El actual papa Francisco se muestra conciliador con otras religiones y expone su catecismo al modo y manera de un cura de barrio, esto es, humilde y cercanamente, explicando el sentido de la teología por medio del ejercicio de la ética. Sin embargo, por ello mismo es notable el esperpento producido cuando Bergoglio arroja balones fuera ante temas espinosos como son los del aborto, la prevención de enfermedade ...more
James
I initially came across this book at a neighborhood supermarket, shortly after Francis's election. I assumed it was a rush-job, an insubstantial work, thrown together to satisfy the desire of the public for information on the new Pope. But as I thumbed through it I learned that Francis had been a friend of Jorge Luis Borges, my favorite writer, so I added it to my 'to-read" list, although I didn't come across it in the library until early this year.

The book was originally written in Spanish and
...more
Stuart
Pope Francis - Conversations with Jorge Bergoglio was the only biography available at the time of the papal election. However, in my opinion, it is the closest thing to an autobiography you will read about our new Holy Father. Each chapter starts off by providing the reader detailed information about various times or instances in Pope Francis' life. Then, there is my favorite part - a question and answer session.

The book begins by discussing Pope Francis' grandmother and the story of why the fam
...more
Carmen Pulín
Ediciones B reedita el libro "El jesuita. Conversaciones con el padre Jorge Bergoglio" de 2010. Está bien la idea porque el nuevo Papa es un gran desconocido, en general, fuera de Argentina y somos muchos los que querríamos saber más de él.

En este breve libro se recogen las conversaciones que el entonces cardenal Bergoglio mantuvo durante varios meses con dos periodistas, Rubin y Ambrogetti. En esas charlas contestó a preguntas sobre su vida, vocación, familia y también, por supuesto, sobre doc
...more
Jenn
This was a good interview. It gave me a peek into the character of our latest Pope. There was a lot of content that was specific to Argentinian politics, but that's probably due to the timing of this interview.
Alfredo Sherman
Es difícil hablar de este libro sin partir de una experiencia de vida propia, ya que la humildad y la fuerza de las palabras de Bergoglio nos hacen mirar hacia dentro para hacer un examen de conciencia seamos creyentes o no. Partir de las buenas acciones y de tener una dignidad que nos haga prósperos y piezas importantes del desarrollo de nuestra comunidad.

Los temas que se tocan en las pequeñas pláticas con Bergoglio antes de ser papa y trabajar como cardenal en Argentina van desde lo político h
...more
John
This book mostly consists of an interview conducted before Jorge Bergoglio became Pope Francis. As Bergoglio was not yet the leader of the worldwide Catholic Church much of the discussion focuses on issues of especially grave importance in Argentina. The issues of political instability and extreme poverty reflect many places in the world and readers outside of Argentina and South America could learn a great deal from these issues. Bergoglio also talks about issues that have become "hot topics" f ...more
Sónia
Este não é um livro para aproveitar o fenómeno Papa Francisco, E isto é importante que se diga para não se pensar que este livro é apenas "mais um". É a compilação de várias entrevistas, efectuadas desde 2001, por jornalistas especializados em assuntos da Igreja. Só depois de lido é que percebi o porquê de ter sido editado em 2010 na Argentina e só agora o ter sido cá. A razão é mais que óbvia e o meu lapso decorreu de pura distracção: é que a Argentina é o país de origem de Jorge Mario Bergogli ...more
Luis Fernando Franco
Un buen libro para que cualquiera lo lea. Evidentemente tiene un gran fondo religioso, no se podía esperar que fuera de otra forma; por una parte nos deja ver el pensamiento de uno de los líderes más importantes de la actualidad, por el solo hecho de ser Papa, cosa que es interesante por si misma; y por otra hay un montón de reflexiones y recomendaciones para la vida cotidiana, se sea o no cristiano.

Me parece que el libro se puede descomponer en cuatro secciones: la vida familiar y laboral de Be
...more
Julie
I am not a Catholic. But, I am very interested in this Pope because of his actions which are very humble, perceptive and thoughtful. This book is very interesting because it is not the words of a Pope, but of Jorge Bergoglio the archebishop of Buenos Aires, in conversations with the authors and fellow Argentinians; Sergio Rubin, a journalist and Francesca Amrogetti, a journalist and social psychologist. The questions are pointed at times, but the answers are from the heart and not rote dogma.
You
...more
William
This book compils a series of interviews by two Argentinian journalists with then-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, the then-Archbishop of Buenos Aires. The book was originally published in Argentina in 2010 with the title El Jesuita ("The Jesuit"); as the title of the book indicates, Bergoglio was elected Pope in 2013. The interviews do help you get a real sense of what the man is like, although they are set in the context of the political, economic, and cultural situation of Argentina. Many of the the ...more
Jake Larson
There are a few good pieces of wisdom from Pope Francis while he was in South American but more than two-thirds of the book was very specific to Argentina, its history, and his role in and feelings towards that country. Unless you really know that country's history, it's a little confusing what is being talked about.
Adolfo Salgueiro
La publicación de Sergio Rubín y Francesca Amborgetti nos lleva a través de la biografía y la personalidad de Bergoglio. Indaga en sus creencias, valores y su posición sobre actualidad e historia. Por ejemplo nos enteramos de que de joven le gustaba bailar y que también que una vez tuvo una novia, con la cual tuvo que terminar la relación ante su vocación religiosa.

EL libro está separado en 15 capítulos, cada uno centrado en un tema particular pese a que su contenido no transcurre necesariamente
...more
Andrew
As always, reading prelates and popes in their own words is more interesting than forming an opinion from a media narrative or their homilies. The Pope's nature really shines on these pages. You get the sense that there is no artifice or naivete about the man. The only thing holding back me back from five-stars is the inevitable comparison with the four volumes of Pope Benedict's interviews. They were a masterclass in distilling a great intellect into comprehensible answers, and my taste simply ...more
Rebecca
** I gratefully received a free copy of this title through the generosity of Goodread's First Reads**
I've been a fan of Cardinal Bergoglio since doing some research about the papabile before the 2005 concave. He came across to me as a very humble and human man, points that this book echoes. Fascinating, this book covers the future Pope Francis's family, education, faith, and Argentine politics. I found then Cardinal Bergoglio's thoughts on faith, simple yet very profound. After reading, my admi
...more
Christopher
A nice easy read that carries plenty of depth. I enjoyed the conversational style of the book, and the clarity with which Bergoglio's thought is expressed. I appreciated the broad expanse of questions posed, though I would have benefitted from more background information about the social and political history of Argentina in the 20th century. Having read more recent writings by Pope Francis, I was impressed by their continuity with the ideas and perspectives expressed in this series of interview ...more
Anne
This is a quick read, and you may have seen excerpts and memorable quotes in the media coverage post-conclave. But I have a particular fondness for these interview-style Pope books. I always feel like I'm actually sitting with the Holy Father, getting to know him and enjoying the process. There is a lot in this one about the political climate in Argentina, which may not interest some readers, but I enjoyed hearing then Cardinal Bergoglio reflect on all of these situations. You do get a good feel ...more
Felix Angel
Highly recommended. It's a brief introduction to the theology of Pope Francis. I particularly enjoyed his essay on the classic poem "Martín Fierro.
Cathy
This book is a series of interviews that were done when Jorge Bergoglio was Cardinal in Argentina. They give a good view of the kind of man he is and more importantly what kind of leader he is. My impression of him has only improved after reading it. And I must say it was very high to begin with!

I think Pope Francis will be wonderful for the church especially at this trying time. He is just what we need.
Edie
I enjoyed the more personal stuff, the politics and history - not so much. Still glad I read it.
Don Mario
Com'è noto si tratta di un'intervista di qualche anno fa all'allora arcivescovo di Buenos Aires, purtroppo senza nessun aggiornamento e senza grosse pretese.
Molto interessante però la figura che emerge del nuovo Papa, la sua semplicità profonda e il suo modo di affrontare problemi di molti tipi. Meriterebbe una stella in più se non fosse scritto male e non aggiornato.
Mike
Parts of the book delve into the politics of Argentina which some may not enjoy. I felt it provided insight into this new Pope and his view of the world and how it relates to the Church. Most of the book relates to his own spiritualism and his thoughts on the Catholic Church today. I like this new guy very much!
Willem
Dit boek is een ware inspiratiebron voor het goede leven. Hoe eenvoudig is het eigenlijk als je erover nadenkt, maar hoe lastig in de alledaagse praktijk. Een aanrader voor alle bewoners van deze aarde. Inspiratie van de stadhouder van Christus. Buona sera, fratelli et sorelli!
Fred Roldan
Este libro lo leí a unos días de su elección. Lo que me sorprendió, fue que durante sus discursos utilizaba muchas de las frases que aparecen en el libro.
Por ello este libro es una forma clara para comprender el pensamiento del Papa Francisco y sus acciones actuales.
Martha
Very revealing of this thoughtful, humble Pope. On work and the unemployed: "They don't feel like they exist. No matter how much help they might have... They want to earn their daily bread... at the end of the day, work anoints a person with dignity."
Emilia
muy buen compilado de los pensamientos y reglexiones de Bergoglio. Para tener en la biblioteca.
Jose Torroja ribera
Interesante, la parte personal y la doctrinal. Un poco confusas las explicaciones de su actuación durante la dictadura, parece que su modestia le impide explicar con detalle lo qué ocurrió.
Ramiro
Muy bueno e interesante para ver como pensaba Bergoglio antes de ser Francisco. Hay varias preguntas que le hacen a temas que volvieron a surgir una vez que se transformó en Papa.
Miguel Corais
A good reading to know more about Pope's Francisco view of the church nowadays.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • On Heaven and Earth: Pope Francis on Faith, Family, and the Church in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • Lumen Fidei: The Light of Faith
  • The Scarlet and the Black: The True Story of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, Hero of the Vatican Underground
  • Nazi Hunter: The Wiesenthal File
  • Constantine the Emperor
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • In nome della madre
  • Always Right
  • Pope Francis in His Own Words
  • Beethoven's Shadow (Kindle Single)
  • The Way
  • The Restless Flame: A Novel about Saint Augustine
  • The Prison Angel: Mother Antonia's Journey from Beverly Hills to a Life of Service in a Mexican Jail
  • Priestblock 25487 : a memoir of Dachau
  • Rapunzel Let Down: A Fairy Tale Retold (A Fairy Tale Retold, #6)
  • Wunderkind
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
Eva Perón: Secretos de Confesión El Papa Francisco Pope Francis: Conversations with Jorge Bergoglio Pope Francis: Conversations with Jorge Bergoglio Pápež František: Rozhovory s Jorgem Bergogliom

Share This Book

“por temor a que éstas aceleraran las” 0 likes
“temor a que éstas aceleraran las” 0 likes
More quotes…