Start by marking “No Such Thing” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176

Judi Coltman

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Newly divorced and ready to relaunch herself, Sydney Powell and her retired K9 move back to the city in which she grew up to write a book about the infamous underworld faction known as The Purple Gang. Having once lived in a house built and used by the Purple Gang to run liquor, Sydney takes the opportunity to rent the place, believing it will help her write the book.

Met w
Published November 14th 2012

To ask other readers questions about No Such Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Such Thing

Miranda
A good afternoon read with a touch of supernatural horror.

No Such Thing is loosely based on a real life event that happened in Michigan in the late 70's. Judi Coltman included an afterwards with information on the real event, which made the story I had just finished reading even more chilling.

I enjoyed the particular writing style of this book. Some parts were written from Sydney's perspective, other's from Jack's, still other's were written from people in the past, or a spirit's perspective. It
Judi Coltman
Apr 21, 2013 Judi Coltman added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
As A Quarter Finalist for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, Publisher's Weekly offered the following review:
ABNA Publishers Weekly Reviewer
Young boys are disappearing in Detroit, boys with no families or homes. Boys like Tim, who skateboards in a store parking lot nearly every day. But one Fall afternoon, this proves to be the wrong choice. The killer is never found, but this novel creates a scenario to explain what might have happened. Sydney, newly divorced, has come home to Detroit to writ
Candy
I recently received this book from the author for review and the description was so intriguing that I started it pretty quickly. But this was a harder book to read than I anticipated. The writing is very vivid and the content is hard to swallow. It's not that it's even graphically written, I think at some point... it's what the author doesn't say that makes me feel a little ill. I think because it's inspired by true events makes it tougher.

That's not to say it's a bad book, in fact, it's very go
Brenda
To say that this book was intense is an understatement! When I realized that it was inspired by actual events that occurred during the seventies I anticipated a good read, but was totally blown away with how the story unfolded! The measure of a good book in my eyes is how long I continue to think about the characters after I finish reading the story, and I must say I read this book three weeks ago and still think about the characters in this one.

Sydney Powell and her retired K9 dog Thor move ba
Mommasaysread

By Momma on March 23, 2013
No Such Thing

Truly a thriller with a rough start, I nearly gave up when suddenly it picked up the pace. I was definitely getting frustrated with the laying of groundwork. I really felt like it was overkill, I kept saying to myself “I get it; mom went crazy in the basement, you felt bad because you were rich get on with it”.

But then as if my pleading was heard the story really picked up the pace and ran off like a runaway train! This suspense chiller delivered in spite o
Theresa
Murder and patanormal

Murder and patanormal

This book was interesting from beginning to end.Based loosely on a true story with a paranormal twist added to it this book was highly entertaining.
LouAnn
This is a very good book. I didn't want to put it down. Sydney moves back into the house she spent her high school years in to write a book about The Purple Gang, who ran liquor during prohibition. As she starts her research on them though, she runs into several interesting aspects of the house; hippie squatters, a murdered boy found close to the house. The more she researches she realizes her story isn't about The Purple Gang, but about the house itself and that her immediate family could be in ...more
Pam
This is one of those books that is hard to put down once you start it. Even though it is fiction, knowing some of the background behind it, and the sad story that Judi talks about makes it even more riveting.
Charlie Hertel
Incredible book that really captures the time and place during a dark time for those of us who grew up in SE Michigan in the 70's. It's a page turner and a white knuckle thriller. READ IT!!!
Reeca Elliott
This book will stay with me for a while!! Very good read, dark sinister twists!
Debbi
Compelling story I could not put down! Based on events from my past in Birmingham Mi.
Becky
This is a fairly quick, fun read.
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Charity Roelker
Charity Roelker marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Patricia Mccammon
Patricia Mccammon marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Andraelle Snyder
Andraelle Snyder marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
CL
CL marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Kere
Kere marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Audrey Brown-williams
Audrey Brown-williams marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Robert Beveridge
Robert Beveridge marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The River
  • Death Angel
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • No Way to Die (Danny Logan Mystery #2)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Lineage: A Supernatural Thriller
  • Devious: A 9th Circle Prequel Short Story
  • The Note
  • The Last Track (Mike Brody, #1)
  • First Time Killer
  • Dire Means
  • The Commission: A Sam Kincaid Mystery
  • Cold Open (Sam North Mystery #1)
  • Nailed (A Ron Ketchum Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Eyes: A Caribbean Murder Mystery
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • Rogue Alliance
Is It Just Me? or Is Everyone a Little Nuts! In The Name Of The Father Seven Kisses and a Hug