Start by marking “Afterburn & Aftershock (After, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Afterburn & Aftershock (After, #1-2)
Preview

Afterburn & Aftershock (After #1-2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,815 ratings  ·  276 reviews
Never mix business with pleasure. Never bring politics into the bedroom. In a way I did both when I took Jackson Rutledge as a lover. I can't say I wasn't warned.

Two years later, he was back. Walking into a deal I'd worked hard to close. Under the tutelage of Lei Yeung, one of the sharpest businesswomen in New York, I had picked up a thing or two since Jax walked away. I w
Published March 11th 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

Maybe Someday by Colleen HooverArcher's Voice by Mia SheridanBreakable by Tammara WebberTwisted by Emma ChaseBefore Jamaica Lane by Samantha Young
2014 Romantic Releases (Jan-May)
93rd out of 701 books — 2,560 voters
Archer's Voice by Mia SheridanMaybe Someday by Colleen HooverCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe One by Kiera CassRaw by Belle Aurora
Best books of 2014
204th out of 3,056 books — 5,478 voters

More lists with this book...

Shurrn
A wonderfully entertaining story from Sylvia Day!
Have you ever wanted something so bad, you couldn't imagine not having it?

There were two things in my life I’d felt that way about: the man I’d stupidly fallen in love with and the administrative assistant position I was about to interview for.

The man had turned out to be really bad for me; the job could change my life in an amazing way.
This book is fucking awesome.

This book is written from the perspective of Gianna, a fierce modern woman det
Aimee Hughes
I loved the book but it was so short! I'd love a Gideon&Eva style series based on the two of them. Jax&Gia are so perfect.. I think they deserve their own series and if not a series then at least a proper novel. Give me more Ms. Day!!
Natalie
Blah!

I love Sylvia Day and most of her stories are well written and so yummy. This book however read like a really bad lifetime movie the one with Tori Spelling as the lead actress (my apologies if anyone here loves Tori Spelling.. I think its her boobs that make me dislike her they kinda just hang there not moving..)
Oh shoot where was I ? ...
Um yeah this book was okay because of Jax his dirty mouth was what kept me reading..
Quick rundown on storyline .. if they weren't fighting then they we
Cheryl M-M
This is an interesting new collaboration between Cosmopolitan, Harlequin UK and Mills & Boon. The Cosmo Red Hot Reads, romance with super hot saucy scenes to top it all off.
Gianna is a smart determined woman with clear goals for the future, when it comes to her career and life in general. Those plans start to shake and crumble when an old lover turns up for a second round of hot fast loving. He doesn't seem to think he needs her approval to take up where they left off or needs to say sorry f
 ★ Monica
Gostei tanto :) Muito fácil de ler e uma história que me prendeu!
Kelly
This book is exactly like all the Fifty Shades/Cross Fire/ This Man series that are dominating at the moment. Rich, mysterious stud meets sassy but beneath-him girl, sparks fly, sex ensues... lots of arguments and running away, lots of secrets, lots of misunderstandings...

I liked the characters and I liked the plot but I felt that it was too repetative. The arguements were the same and with the same outcomes and there was nothing else to concern ourselves with, no minor subplots that I cared ab
Boxy Frown
Jax Rutledge is hot, sexy, and complicated. After a brief but intense affair a few years ago, he left Gia Rossi out in the cold. Now older, wiser, and under the wing of a mentor with a similar past, Gia should be prepared for Jax the second time around. However, their passion burns as bright as it did, almost as if there was no time apart. Despite the secrets, lies, and drama, in the end, Gia realizes that she may just have to be the one to save Jax.

What a great read, and such a tease when a wri
Lupita Figueroa BookLoverRomantic
Esto es como una telenovela mala. Mucho drama sin ton ni son. Aunque me entretuvo, estuve a punto de dejarla... Aquí algunas observaciones que incluyen SPOILERS:

-Está narrada en primera persona (Gia, la protagonista)
-Nunca supe cómo es físicamente Gia.
-No entiendo por qué Jax le torció el trabajo a Gia. Por esto y otras situaciones, la historia fue de un lado a otro.
-Por otro lado, que Jax esperara dos años para acercarse a Gia, me resultó demasiado absurdo.
-No obstante, excelente narrativa. L
AerinLuvs
I didn't realize I had the wrong edition/format so this is the correct title for which I am posting a review.

Overall rating: 4 stars... I may have to re-read some parts in print format, because my attention was not always fully in the audio book because I was TRYING to get tons of stuff done while I was listening to this. I enjoyed this better than Bared to You, but I didn't like it as well as her paranormal vampire books or her Historicals. I think Sylvia Days HR's are better, but different st
Lynn
Gianna met Jackson in Las Vegas and they spent time together then one day he left without a word. Now two years later, she has a new job with Lei Yeung as her assistant. She has given an opportunity to sign two chefs to a restaurant but jùst as she is ready to do so, Jackson is back and he financing a competitor to sign the chefs too. Life gets complicated and she is still angry that he walked out without a word. Can the fences be mended? Do she want them to be?
Marlyn Castro
Once again Sylvia Day does not disappoint. I love the story of Jax and Gia. I was also hungry everytime went to Rossi's, as part Italian and love pasta this is a great story lol. Yes Jax is an ass 99% of the time but then in a split second he is Prince Charming. I'm starting to think ALL of Sylvia's Fictional boyfriends are suffering from bipolar disorder.
Stacey
I pre-ordered the afterburn/aftershock duo and was thrilled when it arrived. I loved that these were more story based with toned down erotica compared to Day's other books. It was a quick read with engaging characters, I really enjoyed it.

On another note, I absolutely love how Day connects with her readers, asking for input and comments via social media, most notably on her community page and twitter. She's a great author to follow and support, in my opinion.
C
I have read many Sylvia Day books and while they have their similarities be it characters, locations or story lines, each one never ceases to amaze me. She is so talented.

FYI - I read the one book version of the two stories.

In Afterburn we meet Gianna Rossi who is the youngest in a large family that is loving, supportive and close to each other. They own and run an Italian Restaurant, one of the best in town. Gianna wants to put her degree in Restaurant Management to good use and learn from one
Alejandra
I enjoyed these two book from beginning to end. I seriously hope Sylvia Day will write more on Jax and Gia in the future.
Clarabel
La relation entre Gianna et Jax est explosive, mais intense. Après, j'ai apprécié que le récit soit si bref, même si cela a eu pour effet d'un trop-plein d'émotions, absolument mal calibré. On décharge la sauce, sans avoir le temps de battre la mesure. C'est épuisant ! J'ai également adoré la famille Rossi, leur complicité et leur cocon. Je n'aurais pas été contre une série avec les frangins...
Nas Dean
AFTERBURN & AFTER SHOCK by Sunday Times Bestselling author Sylvia Day is a Mills & Boon Cosmo Red-Hot release.

Gianna Rossi had an explosive fling with Jackson Rutledge two years back. Then he had walked away without any explanation. Now he was back in her life, trying to sabotage her career and wanting to continue where they’d left off. Could Gia take Jax back without any explanation of what had happened the last time?

Jax gets what he wants. But could he get Gia back this time?

AFTERBURN
Jessica Polanco
I love Sylvia Day but this was certainly not my favourite. I got bored and found the characters weren't very interesting. I still enjoyed it, a nice easy read on a rainy day but not the normal diabolical Sylvia Day that I am used to.
Manja
Kurzbeschreibung:
Man sollte Geschäftliches und Vergnügen immer trennen. Man sollte politische Entscheidungen nie im Schlafzimmer treffen. Und dennoch habe ich beides getan, als ich mich mit Jackson Rutledge einließ. Ich kann also nicht behaupten, ich wäre nicht gewarnt worden.
Zwei Jahre später kam er einfach hereinspaziert und mischte sich in einen Deal ein, für den ich hart gearbeitet hatte. Unter der Anleitung von Lei Yeung, einer der erfolgreichsten Geschäftsfrauen in New York, hatte ich ein
Shirley Verdin
An absolutely amazing story! True love always finds a way. And that's exactly what this story is about. Even two people, like Jax and Gianna, coming from two totally different worlds, can make it work, but only if it's true love. That's exactly what they prove. While it wasn't easy for them, they faught long and hard for it. While at times I loved them, some times I hated them, and then I hated to love them, and loved to hate them! But in the end, everything happened for a reason!
Kajal
So, this is definitely a shorter version of the crossfire series without the childhood abuse. We have the mega rich alpha hero that drips sex and doesn't want to commit (but really does) and then we have the curvy girl he cannot get enough of. I like that instead of having drawn out arguments, they "resolved" them quickly. I hate books that are filled with misunderstandings. Mind you, the main misunderstanding, why Jax left Gia two years ago takes a long time to recover and even after it is said ...more
Jaki ~Loop Around Romance~
I'm in love with Jax right now! :D Even though I thought him as an asshole (at first)

This series is about Gianna/Gia whom Jackson left without a word. Gianna got a job then with a businesswoman. Then eventually Gia saw Jackson again with her boss's ex-boyfriend/business nemesis. Jackson tries to fix things with her but Gia wants more than sex but Jackson wasn't sure if he can give it to Gia. Will Jackson give himself to Gia as a whole?

I loved this series. This series is full of uhmmm. . . HOT S
S. Ann Cole
3.5

Afterburn was good, but I'm not entirely sure what the heck happened with Aftershock.

4stars for Afterburn, 2stars for Aftershock.
Paula Ives
I loved this book Sylvia Day is an exelent writer and she always makes you want more from her books and I really feel Jax and Gia havent finished there story just yet and hope for more to come...
Kathy Davie
The complete story in this two-parter: afterburn | aftershock with the couple focus on Gia Rossi and Jax Rutledge.

My Take
I had read afterburn when it first came out and have re-read it here to remind myself. I still like that Gia is working so hard to keep Jax in the only-sleep-with column. And, lol, I like that Jax is so desperate for her that he's honest.

He's so honest that you begin to see through his self-hatred. But he's also good at the non-answers. Gia is determined on what she wants too.
Book Excursions Book Reviews
Jun 27, 2014 Book Excursions Book Reviews rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 18+ Contemporary romance; erotic romance readers
Afterburn/Aftershock by Sylvia Day

*This version of the story is a combination of two books that were originally printed separately.

Synopsis:

Gianna Rossi has just landed her dream job in hospitality and gets the opportunity to use her restaurateur skills. Everything is going well until she lands a major contract for a chef signing on to the Mondego property. When Giana and Lei (her boss) go to meet up with the chefs to sign the contract, the deal falls through. What Gianna is not expecting is f
Amarilli Settantatre
da www.sognipensieriparole.com

Ormai i personaggi della Day sono inconfondibili, e anche qui la coppia protagonista non si smentisce: esibizionista e fracassona, nella vita e nel sesso.
Gianna è l’unica femmina e più giovane di una famiglia di ristoratori italo-americani (quindi burrosa nelle forme e adoratissima figliola viziata e protetta), Jackson è l’erede di una famiglia snob miliardaria, che, come tutti i maschi di Sylvia Day (ma da dove trae ispirazione?), oltre ad essere scandalosamente r
Eternal-Love78 Michelle Rossi's Reviews
A SECOND CHANCE TO POSSESS AN EVERLASTING TRUE-LOVE!!

**IF I COULD THIS NOVEL WOULD RECEIVE 20 STARS!!**

It's been two years since Gianna Rossi & Jackson Rutledge were in the same room together. Ever since Jax devastated and crumpled Gia's heart and dream of having a perpetual relationship, he threw her away as though she was nothing more than a paramour, a dirty-little secret.

It's NOT until Gia is about the close a deal-of-a-lifetime, Jax parades back into her life, and infringes on her liv
Amber
I just finished this book and have mixed emotions about it. I really like Gia & Jax but at the same time feel like I didn't get to really know the characters very good. The chemistry was there for sure and a great story but it feels like it was rushed to a end. I wanted more details and a more descriptive history about Jax. They talk about how controlling his father is and how he's not gonna like Jax's decision in the end of book but then were at the epilogue. I just wished the book didn't f ...more
Kelly Moran
Gianna's finally settling into her life and getting everything she wants. She's working under Lei Young, one of the sharpest business women in New York. Ever since her epic relationship disaster with Jax Rutledge, she learned to never mix business with pleasure, and to never bring politics into the bedroom. But two years later Jax returns and sabotages the deal she's been working on. Worse, it appears he's in cahoots with Lei's enemy. Yet the heat is still sizzling between them, and Gianna can't ...more
  • The Needing Moore Series Trilogy: Searching for Moore, Moore to Lose, & Moore than Forever
  • Tame Me (Stark International Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Sizzle
  • Tangled Up: Crossing the Line\Burned
  • Seduced By Fire (Partners in Play, #1)
  • His to Possess (His to Possess, #1-6)
  • Because We Belong (Because You Are Mine, #3)
  • All Blues (All, #3.5)
  • The Billionaire's Wife: The Complete Series (The Billionaire's Wife #1-9)
  • Asking for It
  • The Fallen Crest Series (Fallen Crest High, #0.5-3)
  • The Duality Principle (The Portland Rebels, #1)
  • Giving In (Surrender Trilogy, #2)
  • Dating a Cougar II (Never Too Late, #6)
  • Make Me: Twelve Tales of Dark Desire
  • Lawyers in Love, Books 1 & 2 Boxed Set
  • Fury (Fierce, #1.5)
  • Marked (Beyond, #3.5; Thompson & Sons, #1)
19823
Sylvia Day (aka S. J. Day and Livia Dare) is the #1 New York Times and #1 international bestselling author of over 20 award-winning novels sold in more than 40 countries. She is a #1 bestselling author in 28 countries, with tens of millions of copies of her books in print. Her Crossfire series has been optioned for television by Lionsgate. Visit her at www.sylviaday.com, Facebook.com/AuthorSylviaD ...more
More about Sylvia Day...

After (2 books)
  • Afterburn (After, #1)
  • Aftershock (After, #2)
Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) Entwined with You (Crossfire, #3) Captivated by You (Crossfire, #4) Afterburn (After, #1)