Start by marking “Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3)

Ruins (Partials Sequence #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  5,126 ratings  ·  651 reviews
Kira, Samm, and Marcus fight to prevent a final war between Partials and humans in the gripping final installment in the Partials Sequence, a series that combines the thrilling action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Blade Runner and The Stand.

There is no avoiding it—the war to decide the fate of both humans and Partials is at hand. Both sides hold in the
Published March 11th 2014 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Ruins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruins

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
61st out of 2,592 books — 15,726 voters
YA Novels of 2014
69th out of 1,436 books — 7,376 voters

More lists with this book...

Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
IT HAS A TITLE AND A BOOK COVER.
OH MY GOODNESS.
WHOA.
GIMME IT NOW.
Erika Etherviere
War, Blood, Death. This is dystopia.

Ruins achieved everything Allegiant and Mockingjay failed to deliver as trilogy enders. THIS is how you end a series. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, The Partials Sequence is one of the most underrated recent YA science-fiction and dystopian series today. Dan Wells is a great story teller and an excellent world-builder, and he never disappointed me throughout the three books (four, if you count the Isolation novelette).

Before I started the first cha
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Meh, I was bored through a lot of it, the plot and majority of the characters didn't capture my attention until well into the second half. There were a few too many parts that were dragged out, generic, and predictable.

-Summary: Partials and humans still dying and at war. Everyone desperate to save their own species — humans trying to find a cure for RM and partials want to find a way to stop their expiration date.

-The beginning was slow and uninteresting, and all the variou
Boyanna
While i loved this series as a whole, i find this specific book a bit disappointing.

The world building we found in the previous books is consistent. Dan Wells is master of atmosphere. The depicting was so genuine that at times i had memories of places i have never saw in real life. Amazing.

There is also a philosophical aspect of this series. The musings about humanity, the age old question ofwhat makes us human?, consequences of playing god, all this introduced as someones monologue or a side t
Jon
Mar 29, 2014 Jon added it
Shelves: science-fiction
That cover...
Kassidy
This is a pretty decent conclusion.
The series brings up many questions and mysteries and I feel like almost all of them were answered and explained. However, there are some aspects that I'm still fuzzy on.
I liked how everything wrapped up and I am happy with the ending. This series focuses more on the question "what does it mean to be human?" and deals more with morality and approaches many situations from a psychological view. There are definitely heavy themes introduced and I enjoyed how those
Eric Allen
Ruins
Book 3 of the Partials Sequence
By Dan Wells

A Review by Eric Allen

I had a great deal of expectation coming into this book. I expected it to be yet another example of why Dan Wells is one of my favorite authors. And I was not disappointed. Ruins finishes out the Partials trilogy, tying up many loose ends, and leaving a few loose to keep you thinking about it after you've finished. If you're not familiar with the works of Dan Wells, I highly recommend you pick up a copy of I Am Not a Serial Ki
Angelica
May 07, 2013 Angelica marked it as to-read
I wonder what the tittle will be. First Partials then Fragments what could be next SEGMENTS maybe?

Update: Ruins? Really? That's the title? It doesn't really go with the 'partials' pieces things. I guess it does in a way. Oh well I guess i'll just have to suck it up and deal with it. I'm probably going to love it anyway.

Update: Still no darn release date? Really?!?!?!? Come on man!!!
desperate
Savannah (Books With Bite)
This is a really good ending to a great series!

Plot: So the plot moves a bit slow in the beginning but thats because the reader is getting caught up on what is happening after the second book. After that, its takes off into lots of action and drama. Every little detail is explain nicely and carried into the new chapter well. I don’t think there is ever a dull moment in the book.

Love/Friendship: We do get point of views from Kira as well as Sam and a few other characters. Each point of view is we
Donna
Wow! This has to be in my top 5 all time favorite dystopian series ever.
The battle of the partials and the humans comes to a head, people die, struggles and challenges happen. Kira is our true heroine and will it be Samm or Marcus who wins her heart? Or maybe both? Will she find her father? Will she find her purpose? Does she truly have one? Can we all just get along?
The answers are coming and I won't give them away here.

The world building was just amazing and it felt so very real to me. Isn't
Michelle
"Love is when you have the opportunity of turning someone's feelings or trust or vulnerability against them, but you don't. You make promises you don't want to keep, but you keep them because they're right; you help people who can't help you back"- Samm, Page 271.

That quote alone makes me love this book.

It was full of action and suspense, I was on the edge of my seat multiple times, the characters, oh my god, the characters are awesome!

Dan wells is a master at story telling and building relati
Rachel
Warning: Minor Spoilers Ahead....

Fear is only as deep as the mind allows.
- Japanese proverb

Dan Wells completes me. The man also scares me since he is not kind to his characters. This fear was further cemented after reading the dedication page:

"This book is dedicated to everybody you hate. Sorry. Life's like that sometimes."

Whaaa? Mind games, man. Mind games. I was ready to curl up into a fetal position after that. But no, it was a great ending to a great series. At least it was for me because
Inspired Kathy
It took me nearly 2 months to get through the first too books. Got through this one in less than 24 hours.

Content: language and violence
Rêbëkah Grigg
OH WHY OH FRIGGEN WHY! I WANT THE THIRD BOOK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kill me please. *sigh* I totally called it with Samm and Kira and I just loved that part! I WANT TO CRY AND CRY AND CRY CRY AND CRY AND CRY CRY AND CRY AND CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reynje
If anything happens to Samm I'm going to throw this across the room!
Therin Knite

[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

(view spoiler)
Sophia
This book was disappointing.... It wasn't bad exactly but it had some issues...

First of all, I didn't like the storyline,...especially the ending! I wanted to know what happened after they made peace. Like after 10 or 20 years. I mean I thought this book was supposed to about survival, I thought it was really cool and clever from the author to actually have the two species to work together in order to survive.... and yet we see nothing of this sort at all which was disappointing and I was really
Andrew (BritBookBoy)
I'll start by saying I'm a fan of Dan Wells, I really enjoy his style and the sense of humour and fierce determination he brings out in some of his characters. Unfortunately that wasn't enough for me to rate this higher than 3 stars. While I loved the first two entries in this series, both receiving 5 star ratings from me, I couldn't help being rather underwhelmed by its conclusion.

In Fragments I enjoyed the introduction of additional POVs, here I felt the numerous POVs chopped the story up into
Dggluna Luna
Dan Wells ha sido mi favorito desde que leí I am not a serial killer, creo que tiene un gran don para hacer personajes bien divertidos y muy inspiradores.
En la serie Partial tanto Kira como Heron, son las que más destacan, pero también amo los personajes de Sam y Marcus. Me encanto el final, sin mucho drama solo lo que tenía que pasar fue lo que pasó.
Creo que lo que me encantó más es que esta serie tiene un final más sólido que la serie de John Cleaver que no sabemos si en verdad acabo o cada qu
Emily
Nononono. 2014. You kill me. ARGH.
*runs around as a desperate measure*
The feeling when you're in biblioparadise because of a single book.

AHHHH. MY FEELS.
EPIC. In every measure possible.
Full review to come.
Xzellaz
Oh thanks God! Love you Dan Wells for giving us a happy ending. I'm proud of you as a reader ^^
But I'm also thorn between a 4 and a 5 star. While I loved the ending, there was so much more I would have wanted.

I might start off from the dedication.
'This books is dedicated to everybody you hate. Sorry. Life's like that sometimes.'
You threw me off. That was the truest thing I read in a long time.

Plot
It kind of moved slowly in the beginning. For the finale of a trilogy I usually prepare myself f
Carrie Mcrae
Okay... this series just got weird. Partials with gills, murderous blood-men, genetically altered creatures, changing weather patterns (no real explanation on how that happened other than some Trust guy made it his mission in life). Weird sh*t. Characters were unpredictable and the writing was monotonous. The way Kira chose the person she wanted to be with was okay, but the way Marcus reacted to it was wrong. He was way too "okay" with essentially being dumped. It was an easy way out for the aut ...more
Stacy
The only reason that I finished this is because I wanted to find out what happened with the (view spoiler). That probably doesn't say much for this book when my only concern was a (view spoiler). (The thing I just mentioned is definitely not a spoiler if you've read the other books but some people that haven't read them may find it as so). I know that a lot of people would love this book but it just wasn't for me.

This is why I wasn't
Tammie
A great ending to the trilogy! It was packed with action and I thought it was just as good as Partials. I really liked that Kira learned her destiny wasn't some fixed thing, but hers to make what she wanted. I also liked that the solution to everything was so simple, yet so difficult. (view spoiler)
William
HOLY MOLY GUACAMOLE. Where do I even start with this series?

Warning to the reader: This review was written after essentially a 24-hour reading marathon with breaks for eating, bathroom, and obviously sleep. And I regret nothing of it because it was that amazing. However, if this review does not make sense, please forgive me.

Anyways... this series. Wow.
First, let me start off with the world-building and let me remark on how amazing it is.

It's basically like them ^
You expect something good an
Megan Sexton
I loved this book! I literally couldn't put it down from the moment I opened it.
Marie
Endlich - der letzte Teil der Partials-Serie!
Lange ersehnt, habe ich doch etwas Zeit benötigt mich wieder in die Geschichte zu finden. Das buch ist abwechselnd aus der Sicht der unterschiedlichen Gruppen geschrieben: Kira, Samm, Marcus, Kiras Schwestern, etc.
Von Anfang an ist klar, dass sich alles zusammenspitzt und sie sich am Ende irgendwie alle treffen werden.

Kira ist als Versuchskaninchen im Labor von Dr. Morgan angekommen - leider findet die Genetikerin keine Rettung für ihre Partials. Irge
Tanya
WRITING STYLE: 4.75
PLOT: 4.25
PROTAGONIST: 5
CAPTURED MY INTEREST: 5
COMPARED TO ITS GENRE: 5
OVERALL: 4.8

Sob. I can't believe it's over. If you follow me on twitter you got to see my live tweets as I read the book, ie. you got to see me spaz out quite frequently. I even used the term "feel the feels" and "sadistic genius". I'm not dramatic at all.

Why only 4.25 for the plot? The very end. It felt a little rushed to me. There's all this build up and 5-6 different stories that all needed to come toget
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: The third book of the Partials Sequence is all that we hoped for, continuing the action and the suspense but with even more urgency, and just enough romance and humor to lighten it up just a little.

Opening Sentence: “This is a general message to the residents of Long Island.”

The Review:

Ruins would stand alone better in the series than Fragments would, and there is enough background given to read it individually, but as with most series, it i
Mel
http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2... 4.5 stars

*Applauds* Well done, Dan Wells, you did it. This book makes up for the disappointing Fragments. The world-building is better, the characters more developed and the story is exciting. There aren't many books out there with such a solid biological aspect and that was by far my favorite part of this series.

”Love is when you find something so great, so.. necessary, that it becomes more important to you than your own goals, than your own life – not b
  • Three (Article 5, #3)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • The Defiant (The Forsaken #3)
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • Wings (Black City, #3)
  • Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)
  • Meridian (Arclight, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • Divided (Dualed, #2)
  • Tremor (Pulse, #2)
  • Raging Star (Dust Lands, #3)
  • Frozen (Taken, #2)
  • Split Second (Pivot Point, #2)
  • Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3)
  • In the End (In the After, #2)
  • Idols (Icons, #2)
  • Fugitive X (Revolution 19, #2)
  • Unforgotten (Unremembered, #2)
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new w ...more
More about Dan Wells...
Partials (The Partials Sequence, #1) I Am Not A Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1) Fragments (Partials, #2) Mr. Monster (John Cleaver, #2) I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3)

“Nobody as a destiny. I mean, nobody has some kind of inescapable path for their life. This mug was made from clay, and that clay could have been anything at all until somebody made it into a mug. People aren't mugs, we are clay. Living, breathing, thinking, feeling clay, and we can shape ourselves into anything we want, and we keep shaping ourselves all our lives, getting better and better at whatever we want to be, and when we want to be something else we just smooth out the clay and start over. Your lack of 'purpose' is the single best thing about you, because it means you can be whatever you want.” 21 likes
“Love is when you find something so great, so... necessary, that it becomes more important to you than your own goals, than your own life - not because your life has no meaning without it, but because it gives your life a meaning it never had before.” 15 likes