Start by marking “Ghost Volume 1: In the Smoke and Din” as Want to Read:
Ghost Volume 1: In the Smoke and Din

Ghost Volume 1: In the Smoke and Din (Ghost III #1)

One warm night in Chicago's Resurrection Cemetery, paranormal investigators Vaughn and Tommy accidentally summon a beautiful transparent woman who may or may not be the legendary Resurrection Mary. Their search for her true identity uncovers a dark, hidden history of the city and a deadly alliance between political corruption and demonic science! In the middle of it all ...more
Published July 31st 2013 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Volume 1

Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Huh. I love Kelly Sue DeConnick, but this. Nuh uh. While the characters were interesting, I didn't find them as noteworthy or as interesting as others. The story was convoluted, the world was confusing, and the art made it challenging to distinguish the men (Vaughn, Tommy and the mayor looked the EXACT SAME). Biggest plus artwise was to make Caroline look like Gina Torres (Zoe from Firefly).

Normally, I'd gobble up any title DeConnick does, but although there's an interesting setup
David Monroe
Generally, I'm a fan on Kelly Sue DeConnick, especially her recent Captain Marvel (Marvel NOW!) #1 run and Bitch Planet #1, however... this was a rare miss. It just felt flat and rote. It read like some sort of obligated contract fulfillment. Forgive me if I'm completely wrong, and this was a labor of love, because, whatever it was, it missed the mark. Beautiful art by Phil Noto.
Sesana
Oct 04, 2013 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
A little disappointing. Though in all honestly, I probably wouldn't have been disappointed at all if it weren't written by DeConnick. I've absolutely loved the last few things I've read by her, and this was just not up to that standard.

The story itself is underwhelming, unclear, and comes to far too neat of an ending. None of the characters have any life on the page, especially not the ghost herself. Apparently, this is a reboot of a previous Dark Horse series, which I've never read. I wonder i
Alex Sarll
Revival/reboot of the old Dark Horse vigilante; I genuinely don't know, having always passed the character by before. But this was written by Kelly Sue so had to be worth a look, right? Well...it doesn't read like her. I don't love everything she writes, but it's always at least professional. Whereas this had the disjointed, am-I-missing-captions-here? feel of either a first outing, or some of Joe Casey's sketchier work. Which is sufficiently uncharacteristic that I wonder whether it's an ...more
Andy
Sep 16, 2013 Andy rated it it was ok
I generally like Kelly Sue DeConnick. I generally like Phil Noto. I've never LOVED something either of them have done (though DeConnick's current run on Captain Marvel is approaching that territory and some of Noto's work with X-23 was close), but I usually would be pretty comfortable putting both of them in the second tier of creators in comics right now, maybe never capable of BLOWING ME AWAY, but two people who consistently put out quality work.

And yet, this just really lacks.

I don't have any
Bert
Jun 02, 2013 Bert rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book
(Note that I did not read the TPB, but the individual issues #000-#004.)

A reboot of a comic series that originally started in 1993 and ran into the 2000s. This TPB introduces the main characters and sets up the background for the upcoming comic book series.

So what is it about? A couple of ghost finders happen upon a piece of technology that actually drags a supernatural entity into our realm, which sets off a series of events that lands them into a number of dire situations.

The titular character
Clint
Nov 02, 2013 Clint rated it did not like it
DeConnick managed to take a, lets face it, bad comic with a convoluted story and put it into a package where it makes sense. So kudos on that front. However, Ghost is an established property and this volume -- which collects 5 comics -- spends four of them on a "Who am I?" chase.

Boring.

The events of the final chapter are where things get interesting... but we hardly spend any time on them. And Noto's art, as much as I love it, is terrible for storytelling. Good luck trying to figure out what's
Will
An interesting and quick comic from Kelly Sue DeConnick. It follows two "ghost hunters" who accidentally bring a spirit across THE DIVIDE and into the real world, and SHE WANTS ANSWERS. The reader soon finds themselves caught up in a much larger scheme that encompasses all of Chicago. I liked the piece, it moved quickly and had great graphics but it wasn't as strong as Bitch Planet or even Pretty Deadly, some DeConnick's other works. If you're into ghosts it has a lot of familiar imagery but ...more
Marc Jentzsch
A fun take on Elisa Cameron's origin.

The production values are astounding compared to the original arcs under Eric Luke and whatever artist he happened to be working with (some were fantastic and others less so).

While the male characters are horrible caricatures, sometimes present only to serve as quiescent targets of almost random vitriol, this is a great start to a series that deserves more attention.

Elisa Cameron herself - the titular Ghost - is less an avenging angel here, and more a confuse
Anchorpete
Feb 15, 2015 Anchorpete rated it really liked it
I took a bunch of the Ghost Trades from the 1990s out of the library, when I found out she was going to be part of the whole Project: Black Sky initiative.

I really didn't care for the original books. I felt like the main characters powers were too inconsistent (I really do not like the idea of a Ghost becoming a tangible, regular person on whim. It kind of takes away the point of being a ghost, not to mention makes the character ridiculously powerful). The books were also like many of your 90s,
Mariko True
Apr 13, 2014 Mariko True rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of graphic novels, mythology, fantasy
Recommended to Mariko by: Felicia Day
Shelves: shelf-san
I enjoyed reading this graphic novel. I found the plot compelling.
The artwork is great. Gore and violence is a part of the plot of this novel, but is not used in a gratuitous manner.

I find that immediately going from reading a book composed of words without illustrations to then reading a graphic novel is, at least for me, a process of using slightly different mental processes. I usually have to reread the first few pages multiple times. Once a “rhythm” is established, I do not even notice the
Kit
Apr 18, 2015 Kit rated it it was ok
2.5/5 Fantastic art is the upside of this trade, but my lord is it ever impossible to tell any of the men apart! The redesign of Ghost's costume is a breath of fresh air (ha.) and seems to give her a bit more clout as far as the whole supernatural schtick goes. Ghost has always held some pretty high standards in the artists they choose, so I have to comment on that.
KSD writes an...okayish story with little mystery, annoying characters, and predictable scripting. The origin story is just kind of
Ashley
Jan 21, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Ghost had so much potential but there were severe pacing and characterization issues that left the story feeling underseasoned. Let's say two dudes, one a manchild who hosts a show on ghost sightings and the other a wayward failed journalist who reads too much, accidentally summon a ghost. They know they did it using a device of iffy origins. And let's just say this ghost is a beautiful woman, and then the trio goes off and has random adventures before the real story begins about 80% of the way ...more
RB
Dec 06, 2015 RB rated it really liked it
I set off to read "Ghost Volume 1" for Kelly Sue Deconnick, knowing nothing of the character or the originals from the 90s (I imagine this is why I enjoye it more than other readers) and had a blast reading it. Granted it lacks the depth and layered grandness of "Bitch Planet" and the nightmarish anarchist thrill of "Pretty Deadly" but for what it is, a who-am-I type origin story, it managed to be pretty entertaining. The illustrations are beautiful and the colours reminded me of "Sandman" and ...more
Tyler Hayes
Apr 25, 2016 Tyler Hayes rated it really liked it
Kelly Sue DeConnick does it again. Volume 1 of Ghost is a hybrid of a ghost story and a superhero origin story, with a dash of Hellraiser and a whole lot of not quite what you expected from any of those three things. The comic's narration and use of synchronicity between the past and the future is truly masterful, and it takes a series of simple ideas and turns them into both a complete emotional arc and the beginning of something bigger. My only complaint is that the visual portrayal of the ...more
UltraHero
Mar 19, 2014 UltraHero rated it did not like it
This was terrible.

It's worse than the volume 2 re-boot in the 90s that made Ghost into an Image character.

The art is bad & I don't usually say that. The sparse backgrounds are not the problem, the problem is how the men are drawn. You can barely tell which guy is which. One has spiky hair & the other a cowlick. Their faces look identical. The last issue has the two men in suits along with a third. They were impossible to tell apart especially because that issue involved flashbacks. The
Fate's Lady
Apr 21, 2015 Fate's Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed this, but it didn't quite leave me squeeing with joy. The art is nice, and I liked the look, particularly of Ghost's costume and the way it flowed, but the men were incredibly generic and I couldn't tell them apart at all most of the time, which made a few scenes hard to understand. Caroline was gorgeous, and probably my favorite in terms of the look.

As far as the story... it was clearly an introduction, and while I felt like it could have been stronger, I'm willing to read the second
Matthew
May 23, 2015 Matthew rated it it was ok
I don't know if I'm slow or what but I could not keep track of the characters or their names (I think in large part it's the art style: I would look at previous characters and flip back and forth trying to figure out if they're different, and hairstyle was the only real defining feature). Also, without spoiling anything, the interesting mystery of the ghost became more boring the more they explored it.

Also that is one cheesy-looking devil (you'll know it when you see it).
Karryn Nagel
Sep 25, 2013 Karryn Nagel rated it really liked it
An excellently robust plot line for a first Trade paperback. The art holds it's own, although sometimes I have trouble distinguishing between the two male protagonists. They both have chiseled jaws, are white, with brown hair! Only their behavior sets them apart, but that doesn't work in the fight/action scenes. SHE is fantastic, all the women are. Complexity, opposing natures in each character, makes for rich soil! I'm definitely intrigued to continue.
Lizzie
Feb 05, 2015 Lizzie rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I pretty much enjoy anything Kelly Sue DeConnick writes or touches or stands next to. So take my review with that in mind.
This volume reboots the Ghost origin story and as a launching point, it gets it done. For readers wanting to jump right into the action, this might be disappointing as DeConnick sets up the pieces carefully before the action takes off. It worked for me to build the suspense and mystery surrounding the Ghost, but some might become impatient.
Amanda
Jun 20, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
I'm not always one for supernatural stories, but I really enjoyed this one. I will never say no to women who are awesome and butt-kicking, and the ghost in this story (I can't call her anything else without spoilers!) is pretty amazing. I did run into an issue a couple of times because some of the characters look similar, which confused me, but once I figured it out I was fine. I'm looking forward to reading the next volume.
Feather Mista
Me gustó bastante el dibujo, hasta por ahí la historia y lo suficiente como para querer leerme otra cosa el personaje, cuyo diseño siempre me gustó pero cuyos comics nunca había leído. Podrían haberse puesto un poco más las pilas para los diálogos, las caracterizaciones y las escenas de acción, pero en conjunto las correctas virtudes suman más que los contados defectos.
Aug 12, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I'm bumping a 3-star book rating up to 4 stars for the gorgeous art alone (which is solidly 5 stars throughout). The story is good. Classic Alan Moore style noir. The writing is serviceable. Some weak dialogue. Nice nods to Dostoevsky and Bronté. Overall, an above average Vol. 1. I bought the next 4 volumes on the strength of this one. Hoping this reboot developes into something remarkable!
Lia
Sep 07, 2015 Lia rated it really liked it
Really a 3.5, but I really liked this. It's got a lot of 3 and lower ratings, so maybe it's because I'm coming to it with no DeConnick-related expectations? Who knows? At any rate, I found it an enjoyable if lightweight supernatural mystery.
Wolverina
Dec 13, 2013 Wolverina rated it liked it
It was okay, but far from DeConnicks best work.

I don't know. The two dudes are just too fucking annoying AND kinda creepy weird about one dudes ex.

Lacked the spark that the rest of DeConnicks work has.
Rosa
Jan 02, 2014 Rosa rated it it was amazing
DC Women Kicking Ass has been recommending this book for ages and I'm so glad I was finally able to get my hands on a trade paperback, b/c it's really amazing. The artwork is gorgeous and the storyline was totally not what I was expecting, and totally interesting.
Jin
Aug 21, 2014 Jin rated it liked it
"Neat, but a bit short on the plot. Action packed which took out the characterization. I finished the book with more questions than Ghost, a writing technique to follow the series."
John
Nov 04, 2015 John rated it liked it
As prologue, it is kind of thin, but the story is very promising and I will read anything Phil Noto illustrates. A terrific appetizer.
Ned Leffingwell
Jan 26, 2014 Ned Leffingwell rated it liked it
I like the art and the character. This was good as an origin story but I think that the series that follows will be better.
Danielle  Lucas
Aug 20, 2016 Danielle Lucas rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. DeConnick has a great imagination and her dialog is relocatable and flows. I'm read anything by her!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle
  • Journey into Mystery, Featuring Sif, Volume 2: Seeds of Destruction
  • Wonder Woman: Down to Earth
  • Gretchen (Zombillenium #1)
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 5: Tests
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 2: Fear No Malus
  • Archer & Armstrong, Volume 2: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • The Creep
  • Salamander Dream
  • Spider-Woman, Agent of S.W.O.R.D.
  • Saga #17
  • The Wake Part One
  • Batwoman, Vol. 4: This Blood Is Thick
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 1: Under the Knife
  • Godland Volume 1: Hello, Cosmic!

Ghost III (4 books)