Start by marking “Southside” as Want to Read:
Southside

Southside

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Los Angeles Times gang reporter Michael Lyons has just left his favorite downtown saloon when he is shot and wounded on the sidewalk two blocks from City Hall.
Published November 5th 2013 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Southside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southside

Suspense Magazine
“Southside” is a solid debut novel from Los Angeles Times crime reporter Michael Krikorian. Krikorian writes what he knows, spinning a tale about a Los Angeles Times crime reporter, Michael Lyons, who covers the many gangs of the City of Angels. As an editor, I would have counseled Krikorian to not give the character—clearly a fictionalized version of himself—his own first name, which gets a bit too on the nose, but that’s a minor nitpick.
The novel gets off to a somewhat disjointed start, with f
Debra
Street gang reporter Mike Lyons is shot one evening while leaving a bar. He has no idea why, but it’s possible his stories might have upset a few gang members. When police discover evidence suggesting that Mike arranged his own shooting, he needs to find the truth. Unfortunately, Mike loses a lot along the way. There is also the real possibility that the shooter intends to finish the job.

Southside is a gritty look at the lives of people we would never want to meet. Mike’s own shaky past and his
Pamela
Southside is a well written suspense/thriller centered on the shooting of a reporter, Mike Lyons, known for his investigations into gang activity in the Southside neighborhood of Los Angeles. A recorded conversation between Mike and a gang leader leads law enforcement to believe that Mike arranged the shooting for publicity purposes. Mike must investigate his shooting to clear his name and salvage his reputation.

The character development was rich and varied. I could see each person clearly in my
Jane
Southside is named for the Southside of Los Angeles, gang territory and the beat of reporter Mike Lyons for the LA Times. One sunny afternoon he is shot while walking down the street between his favorite bar and the Times, two blocks form City Hall and three from LA Central Police Station. This starts the mystery told in Southside.

The second time the killer strikes is to kill Terminal, a gang member and brother of Big Evil now serving life without possibility of parole for the double murder of t
Billy
This book has a potentially great story line, but the characterization is often one dimensional and stereotypical. Too bad.
Dick
A gritty well written book. The insight into gang life in LA is real and eye opening. Michael, the protagonist, is a flawed but very likable character. A good read.
Gerard
This book is filled to the brim with detail, so much that at times it was a little hard to keep up for me.
The characters were very detailed and convincing, as well as was the overall story. Not often are there thrillers that you could see happening in the real world.
Overall a very enjoyable read and a recommendation to those looking to get into the thriller genre.

I received the book for free through Goodreads Firstreads.
Jo
Southside is a mystery about the Southside of LA and I do love a good mystery. Michael Krikorian has written a wonderful thriller with interesting characters and lots of gang action and interaction. My daughter won Southside on Goodreads First Reads and shared it with me after she finished it & I am really glad she did; I enjoy a good mystery.
David Marshall
An impressive first novel not only because of the thriller plot which is pleasingly credible, but also for the excellent structure of the narrative. It's a delight to read.

Susan
I could not put this book down. A thriller that should be in everyone's library.

I recieved a signed copy from Goodreads. Hooray !
David
Gritty thriller. Great debut novel by Michael Krikorian.
Patricia Gussin
As real as it gets in the gang culture.
Jon Evers
Jon Evers marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Tyler Stremming
Tyler Stremming marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Amyfibre
Amyfibre marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Asdeghik
Asdeghik marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Josie
Josie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Francielle
Francielle marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Fernando Rodriguez
Fernando Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Kate Tormey
Kate Tormey marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
  • Mexican Hit Girl (Mason Church, #1)
  • 1 in 3: These Are Our Stories
  • Beyond The Sun
  • Jump-Start Money Management
  • Wreckers Gate (The Devastation Wars #1)
  • The Black Pony
  • No Matter What: An Adoptive Family's Story of Hope, Love and Healing
  • A Simplified Map of the Real World
  • Blood Memory (Blood Memory #1)
  • Writers of the Future Volume 29
  • 1,001 People That Suck
  • The Kelpie
  • My Darkest Passion (My Immortals, #5)
  • 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More
  • Unintended Consequences
  • Betting on Fate
  • The Broken (The Lost Words, #2)
  • The Deadfall Project
And Speaking of Scorpions... The Autobiography of Herman Ze German Rarebell Disaster & Emergency Planning And Speaking of Scorpions...: Autobiography of Former Scorpions Drummer Herman "Ze German" Rarebell