Start by marking “Amiel's Journal” as Want to Read:
Amiel's Journal

Amiel's Journal

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Intimate Journal of Henri-Frédéric Amiel, a Swiss philosopher, poet & critic, published after his death & translated into English by British novelist. Mary Augusta Ward (Mrs. Humphrey Ward).
Paperback
Published June 29th 2006 by Dodo Press (first published 1884)

To ask other readers questions about Amiel's Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amiel's Journal

Jessica
I have completed my journey with Henri. I was a little sad to lose him. Of course technically he died over 100 years ago and I could just start over at the beginning...maybe someday I will. It is not an easy read and it took me a long time to get through it but I feel my life a little enriched because I was able to get to know this sad but insightful man through his journals.

As all of my facebook friends know, as Henri and I traveled together on the El everyday, I sometimes found his quotes so...more
Amy
Reading this book took months, yet it only has 236 pages! Why did it take so long? Well, I had to stop after almost every journal entry and allow myself some reflection time. He taught philosophy and aesthetics in the mid-1800s. His journal covers literature (hates Victor Hugo), music, religion, ethics, weather, educational practices,child rearing, friendship, death, Facebook stalking and so much more. Despite the age of the book, it remains relevant. I will probably re-read it, or at least the...more
Andrew
What an odd book-- Henri-Frédéric Amiel is one of those minds who's remarkably difficult to pin down. Deeply religious, but ultimately skeptical; aristocratic in spirit, but grudgingly realistic to know that democracy is the only way forward for a society; admiring of science, but simultaneously recognizing the dangers of positivism; and a lifelong conservative Protestant who as he got older began to embrace socialist and Buddhist thinking, and someone who, in his own way, seemed to be lighting...more
Katy
a revelatory experience...
Larry
This is a very enjoyable read if you are one who likes to examine life. Also, a slow read.
The journal was filled with insightful aphorisms about truth, society, and life in general. Amiel was torn between living an introverted, mystical-philosophical life and a outward, productive one. He chose the former but seemed guilt-ridden for not pursuing the latter. His thought was religious and, fortunately, in a very open-minded way as he talked about following God's will in a Christian way but still d...more
Sluggo
This man had so many interesting things to say about such a WIDE variety of subjects, he was truly amazing. Unfortunately this was the "woe is me" bane of his life- he despaired that he was never able to let himself focus on ONE thing, and so never gained the fame and wealth he could have had. Thank God he didn't. This book was an international best-seller at the time it was published, after his death. Now, of course, you can't find it in a library.
Sunny
philosophical book/journal by this unheard of legend. behind nietzsche and emerson one fo teh most interesting collection of philosophical musings i have ever read. there is literally something philospically engaging/questionning on every other page that gets themind pondering and thinking! highly highly recommended if you want a well written philosophy read.
Lisa
Too dark and depressing for me especially struggling with my own issues at the time. His critiques of other works is also not useful to me since I have no idea who most of those people or works were. It's also sad that people died of easily treated diseases before modern times. Had Amiel lived today he would have had some antibiotics and been fine.
Matty

In between large chunks of convoluted digressions in a huge variety of topics he shares his - usually morose poetic - opinion on, you get a few insights of wisdom. I couldn't make it past the 172nd page, it's too dry a read.
Scott Harris
The gems in this long journal are brilliant but overall it is a meandering text of personal reflections. In some ways, Amiel's reflections are so intellectual and reflective that his life and experiences are obscured.
Walter
Like Paul Klee, this man from the land of bank accounts that are anonymous save the face, writes a great journal.
Chris H.
Philosophical and timeless. A difficult read but well worth it. Taking my time and letting it sink in. ch
B
B marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Marieke
Marieke marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Gylfi Þorsteinn
Gylfi Þorsteinn marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Neptatude
Neptatude marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Vicky Y
Vicky Y marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Swiggish
Swiggish marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Kristin Gardner
Kristin Gardner marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Rusdiyana
Rusdiyana marked it as to-read
Ekaterina
Ekaterina marked it as to-read
Brendon
Brendon marked it as to-read
Rajesh Mukkath
Rajesh Mukkath marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Jean Jacques Rousseau Fragments d'un journal intime, Vol 2: Presedes d'une etude Amiel's Journal: The Journal Intime of Henri-Frederic Amiel Diário Íntimo Vol.1 Journal: The Journal Intime, Volume 1

“Life is short and we never have enough time for the hearts of those who travel the way with us. O, be swift to love! Make haste to be kind.” 86 likes
“The man who has no inner life is the slave of his surroundings.” 17 likes