Start by marking “Canaan's Tongue” as Want to Read:
Canaan's Tongue

Canaan's Tongue

From the acclaimed and prizewinning author of The Right Hand of Sleep (“Brilliant…A truly arresting work”—The New York Times Book Review), an explosive allegorical no0vel set on the eve of the Civil War, about a gang of men hunted by both the Union and the Confederacy for dealing in stolen slaves.

Geburah Plantation, 1863: in a crumbling estate on the banks of the Mississip
Published December 18th 2007 by Knopf (first published May 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Canaan's Tongue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canaan's Tongue

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey ChaucerCandide by VoltaireThe Canterville Ghost by Oscar WildeCandida by George Bernard ShawCannery Row by John Steinbeck
Yes We "Can"
19th out of 28 books — 9 voters
Lowboy by John WrayThe Right Hand of Sleep by John WrayCanaan's Tongue by John WrayThe Lost Time Accidents by John WraySouth Sea Vagabonds by John  Wray
Best of John Wray
3rd out of 11 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Alan
Nov 25, 2012 Alan rated it really liked it
This was a gothic and grotesque book about a gang of outlaws around the time of the U.S. civil war. It had many Faulkner-esque touches (multiple points of view, stream of consciousness, violent deaths), but far more accessible. The one down side was the kabala-like mysticism (not my cup of tea), but otherwise a great book.

As a side note, I picked this book up after reading another John Wray novel, "Lowboy" which was fantastic. This was an earlier novel and it's great to see each book getting be
Moloch
Dec 12, 2015 Moloch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moloch by: Visto sul sito della casa editrice Gea Schirò
Libro scovato per caso sul sito della casa editrice Gea Schirò, acquistato d'impulso.

Lo credevo adatto a proseguire il filone western, ma mi sbagliavo, non siamo nel selvaggio West, bensì nel profondo Sud, però il periodo è pressappoco lo stesso: gli anni della Guerra civile americana. I protagonisti, che si alternano a raccontarci la vicenda quasi come se si contendessero un palcoscenico, fanno parte di una banda di fuorilegge dedita a una lucrosa attività che essi definiscono "il Commercio": i
emily
Dec 30, 2008 emily rated it liked it
Michael Lannan
Dec 27, 2007 Michael Lannan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes cinematic suspenseful dark reads.
I picked this up because I read this guy's articles in the NY Times magazine and thought they were great. Turns out he not only knows all about post-modern metal bands but also writes shocking, dark, funny, brutal, amazing historical fiction. I am telling all my friends...
Bridgit
May 27, 2009 Bridgit rated it really liked it
Oi! Slave traders just before and during the Civil War. Not a lovely bunch of people, but can't put this book down. How does he get into their heads so well?
Matt
Oct 19, 2010 Matt rated it liked it
You know how the movie From Dusk Till Dawn starts out as a criminals-on-the-run movie and then halfway through the movie, holy crap, it's about vampires? Yeah.
Faye
Oct 21, 2011 Faye rated it really liked it
I thought it was good - it took the complete read to know what the book was about. This is one I'd like to discuss in a group.
Garrett Tezanos
Jul 26, 2009 Garrett Tezanos rated it really liked it
I got frustrated with the story by the end, but there's no denying that John Wray is a very gifted writer.
JM Schreiber
JM Schreiber rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
Jim Dewey
Jim Dewey rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2013
Little My
Little My rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2010
Alec
Alec rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Robert Brunck
Robert Brunck rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
May 09, 2009
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2013
Adrian Young
Mar 24, 2013 Adrian Young rated it it was amazing
This book kills it. Plain and simple.
Karen Brisendine
Karen Brisendine rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Karen Klink
Karen Klink rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2010
Callum Clement
Callum Clement rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2009
Sean Beaudoin
Sean Beaudoin rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2009
Christopher Lehmann
Christopher Lehmann rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2009
Keith Brough
Keith Brough rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Once Again to Zelda: The Stories Behind Literature's Most Intriguing Dedications
  • Arkansas
  • Cold Fusion
  • The Amalgamation Polka
  • The Divine Husband
  • Red Rover
John Wray is the author of three critically acclaimed novels, Lowboy, The Right Hand of Sleep and Canaan's Tongue. He was named one of Granta's Best Young American Novelists in 2007. The recipient of a Whiting Award, he lives in Brooklyn, New York.
More about John Wray...