Betsy and the Emperor

Betsy and the Emperor

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  68 reviews
"Think, my dear -- just think what it will be like, to be known as the girl who freed the great Napoleon Bonaparte!"

Fourteen-year-old English girl Betsy Balcombe and her family have an unusual houseguest: Napoleon Bonaparte, former emperor of France and the most feared man on earth. Once lord and master to eighty-two million souls, now, in 1815, Napoleon is a captive of...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse (first published September 28th 2004)

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinMara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGrawA Single Shard by Linda Sue ParkThe Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGrawIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Books For The Sonlight History Programs
7th out of 36 books — 7 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerExplosion in Paris by Linda Masemore PirrungHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Favorites
204th out of 544 books — 239 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittney. Break my heart why dont ya
Nov 29, 2008 Brittney. Break my heart why dont ya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who had a strong friendship that you will never forget
This book was one of the most touching books I have ever read. Betsy and the Emperor had the strongest most loved friendship I have ever read. This story was based on real historic events. This story will keep you reading untill the end. At the end of the book you will cry. This heartwarming story is the best Historical fiction bookI have ever read.
htanzil
Napoleon Bonaparte, namanya tercatat di semua buku-buku sejarah dunia. Setelah ratusan tahun lamanya Perancis dipimpin oleh raja-raja, Napoleon Bonaparte merupakan pemimipin Perancis pertama yang bergelar Kaisar, ia memerintah pada tahun 1804-1814 dan 1815. Pada masa jayanya, Napoleon Bonaparte mungkin salah satu pemimpi paling besar sepanjang sejarah manusia. Melalui karismanya yang disertai kerja keras dan ambisi gilanya, ia bertekad untuk mewujudkan mimpinya untuk menguasai seluruh Eropa. Mim...more
Staton
Jan 30, 2009 Staton added it
Published in l4 languages, this YA novel of mine is in development as a movie with Al Pacino attached to star as Napoleon Bonaparte. It's a New York Public Library "Book for the Teen Age" and an ABA/Book Sense Pick for Teens.

"This fascinating story plays both with and against the stereotype of Napoleon. Even readers who don't know of Bonaparte will be caught up in the interplay between girl and emperor and the surrounding drama of the world's history-- and their own."
-- Kirkus Reviews

“An engagin...more
Amy
Wow. Rarely do I ever read a book that makes me feel heart broken, and several other intense emotions. The author did an amazing job at making me feel all these emotions, though I feel like he should have gone into more detail on the emperor and Betsy's relationship. Spoiler alert, clearly the emperor has some feelings for the younger girl and while this may be repulsive because of the age difference and his lack of good looks, this book teaches us a lesson that looks aren't that important. You...more
Selena
Absolutely love this book! I've recently read Sandra Gulland's trilogy on Josephine, the wife of Napoleon, and was fascinated. Upon reading this, the reader gets to see the softer side of Napoleon through his friendship with Elizabeth(Betsy). This book never gets boring and the ending was heartwrenching.
Maryam
Relationship between Betsy and Napoleon Bonaparte when he was exiled to St Helena. Urgh I just love this!
Rina Kartika
Beberapa hari yg lalu baru ingat klo pernah baca buku ini..udah jaman SMA sih..dan klo sekalinya inget pasti bawaannya pengen baca lagi,,padahal bukunya udah gak ada..jadi coba ngorek2 ingatan nih..
Buku ini menceritakan (benar2) sisi lain dari Napoleon Bonaparte, dari sudut pandang seorang gadis berusia 14 tahun bernama Betsy. Cerita diambil ketika Napoleon menderita kekalahan perang dan dipenjara di pulau St.Helena, disitulah dia bertemu Betsy. Meskipun beda usia mereka cukup jauh (lupa brp) ta...more
Annie
I liked the premise of this book, and the author knew her history pretty well. A good bit of it was fictitious, and a good bit wasn't. I didn't really enjoy the slut shaming going on in the text. Also vaguely uncomfortable were the insinuations that Napoleon had feelings for a 14/15 year old girl. Kindaaaa creepy.

But I really didn't appreciate the author's pitiful attempts to make you feel better about the fact that the Balcombe family owned slaves. Oh, yeah sure they felt so terribly awful abou...more
Riadiani Marcelita
Oct 13, 2012 Riadiani Marcelita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Riadiani by: Ndari
In 1815, after being defeated by the British in Waterloo, former French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte was banished to the forsaken island of St. Helena. Fallen from grace, Bonaparte soon finds refuge in the form of fourteen-year-old Betsy Balcombe. Betsy, whose family reluctantly houses Bonaparte, also finds herself intrigued by the emperor. Their unlikely friendship inspires Betsy to hatch a dangerous plan to help the emperor escape.

To be honest, when a friend of mine suggested this book to me, I...more
Kristen Frueh
I very much enjoyed reading Betsy and the Emperor by Staton Rabin. As a general overview, this book is about a girl named Betsy Balcome and her efforts to decipher who her supposed friend, Napoleon Bonaparte, really is deep inside. The character of Betsy is based on a real girl who befriended Napoleon, but the majority of events in this book are fictional. The one most prominent theme or message throughout this book is: don't judge a person's character based on a common assumption. Or, an easie...more
melmarian
Nov 09, 2010 melmarian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens, People who want to know more about Napoleon Bonaparte
Saya menemukan buku ini di tumpukan buku diskon 10 ribuan Gramedia Fair, pertama sih tertarik karena covernya yang "remaja banget" dan jelas ada bau-bau kerajaan disitu karena ada kata "Emperor" dan setelah saya membaca sinopsis singkat dibelakangnya, saya pun makin tertarik.
Karena tidak seperti TeenLit biasanya, yang menjadi tema utama dalam buku ini adalah persahabatan antara Betsy dan Napoleon Bonaparte. Saya selalu suka novel historical yang dikemas dengan ringan.
Perlu lebih banyak TeenLit s...more
Nazta
Saat itu Oktober 2006 ketika aku menemukan buku ini diantara novel-novel teenlit lainnya. Aku selalu suka membaca teenlit ketika itu, apalagi kalau cover dari novel itu cantik. Walaupun aku tahu tidak bijak rasanya menilai buku hanya dari tampilan covernya saja, tapi sejujurnya aku sudah terpesona dengan cover novel Betsy and the Emperor. Jadi, meski ketika itu aku tidak terlalu menyukai buku terjemahan, tangan aku tergerak untuk mengambilnya dari rak buku.

Tapi saat itu aku tidak kecewa membeli...more
The other John
The problem with a lot of our history lessons is that you learn a lot of names, but you never get introduced to the people. I suppose that's one reason why I enjoy reading biographies. Anyway, this is a kind of biography. Technically, it's historical fiction, but a lot of it is based on source materials. The book tells the tale of a few years in the life of Betsy Balcombe. During her teens, she was living on the island of St. Helena when the deposed emperor Napoleon Bonaparte was exiled there. N...more
Maddy
It's been a long time since I've read a book in one sitting but that's what I did with Betsy and The Emperor . I've actually been excited for this book for a while and I'm glad that I've finally been able to read this. I am a bit of a history buff and for some reason or another, I've always loved Napoleon Bonaparte so I may be a little biased when it comes to rating this book high.

The story itself was beautifully crafted from start to finish. It made me feel almost as though I were Betsy. Clear...more
Alyssa
This book is about a fourteen year old girl named Betsy Balcombe. Betsy lives on remote, ugly island called St. Helena. Napoleon Bonaparte is being transported over to St. Helena, being held prisoner by the British soldiers. Bonaparte is in need for a place to stay and is assigned to reside in Betsy's house. Betsy and the emperor build up a strong and caring relationship for eachother. Both go through many hardships and obstacles. But one day of Betsy's friend's, Huff, is determined to free the...more
konneko .
Me enteré como a la mitad que era una novela histórica.
Livianita, divertida y con datos históricos! nunca es malo adherir información a nuestra bbdd jaja.

Betsy es una adorable niña británica, inteligente y atrevida, características que por defecto hacen que una protagonista me caiga bien.
La adhesión de Catarsis fue sutil... pefecta. No torno la novela en una historia de amor, pero le dio el movimiento necesario para que nunca te aburras.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2005- I could not finish this book fast enough! It sounded like an interesting enough YA book. Betsy Balcombe, a resident of St. Helena, returns home from her London boarding school. St. Helena, you might recognize, was one of the islands Napoleon Bonaparte was exiled too. Betsy arrives home only to have Napoleon arrive several days later, and with his lodgings not yet finished, he is sent to live in her guesthouse. A relationship begins between the two, and while I'm pretty sure the author was...more
Betsy Hr
Sebenernya tema cerita dan penyajian penulisannya sih biasa aja, mungkin yang menarik buku ini diangkat dari kisah nyata bahwa Napoleon Bonaparte memang pernah menjadi teman gadis kecil di pulau St. Helena. dan Betsy Balcombe ini benar-benar ada.

Betsy Balcombe adalah gadis kecil pemberontak yang hidup di tahun 1800an yang merasa pulau tempat tinggalnya sangat membosankan. Cerita bergulir saat mantan Kaisar Perancis menjadi tamu di rumah keluarga Betsy sebagai tahanan. Meski awalnya sangat berte...more
Anne Broyles
Historical fiction is always a melding of fact and fiction, and some readers may find there is too much fiction in this tale of a young woman who befriends Napoleon when he is exiled to St.Helena. The main characters did live on that island at the same time, and there is evidence that they knew each other, though it's doubtful they had such a full-fledged friendship.

Taken without worrying about historical accuracy, BETSY AND THE EMPEROR is a fun romp with an energetic protagonist whose adventure...more
Michelle
Melihat sisi lain dari Napoleon Bonaparte merupakan hal utama yang diceritakan dalam novel ini. Betsy, si tokoh utama dalam buku ini, berkenalan dengan Napoleon, yang menjadi tahanan di rumahnya. Tadinya Betsy sangat takut dengan Napoleon, karena memang pada zaman itu, rupanya beliau sangat ditakuti oleh orang-orang. Tapi lama-kelamaan, mereka mulai berteman dan Betsy mulai merasa sayang kepada Napoleon. Makanya, waktu Napoleon ditempatkan di penjara yang jauh dari rumahnya, dia merasa marah sek...more
Anya
Ridiculous plot. Anachronistic dialogue. Why make up a story based on real people? Stupid. We couldn't even finish it because it was such a waste of time.
Melrose
This is a book about a young girl named Betsy. She lives in an island, that she feels is boring. Besty craves adventure, and it comes one dark night, Napoleone! At once her and this cocky ruler admier each other, and become good friend. But Napoleon craves his old home in France. So Betsy takes the responsiblity to help free him!
This book is about friendship and good fun. I love this book, because it is not hard to read and is so lively with something going on. It also has good humor. This is...more
Yustie Amanda
cerita tentang Betsy yang deket sama napoleon. seru! nyeritain betsy yang aktif dan pemberani yang mau membebaskan napoleon, napoleon asli! tau dong gimana? walo pendek tapi berkuasa. penulisnya keren, novel history pertama yang aku baca dan seru! perjemahnya bagus, aku suka. sayangnya aku masih tidak rela mengetahui umur betsy waktu itu cuma 13 dan napoleon 4osekian, gubrak!! kayak anak sama bapak dong, tapi kok rasa-rasanya chemistry *gimana sih cara nulisnya?* mereka berdua kayak pasangan(?)
Victoria
This doesn't have the nive colors lik mine so I had to do this one, but it should be the same one. This is a really good book. It is about when Napoleon Bonaparte was captured at the battle of Waterloo and sent to the depressing island of St. Helena. There he befriends Betsy and they spend time together talking, getting into mischief and being frustratiing and frustrated alike. It is fun at times and sad at others. Based on a true story that Betsy herself wrote.
Amy
I think Anna will agree with me when I say reading this book was a little like death. I couldn't stand the main character, and I went from indifferent respect for Napoleon to pretty much hating him. His character was like gross
I think the writing might have been good...it was a few years ago that I read this book. Anna brought it to mind the other day though, so I decided to delve into that memory a little xP yeah. Not my favorite Sonlight read....
Fanda VIXXIO
Belajar sejarah dengan cara ringan ternyata bisa loh, dengan membaca teenlit ini. Secara spesifik belajar tentang penahanan/pembuangan Napoleon Bonaparte di St Helena. Kisah di buku ini adalah kisah sejarah, dengan sedikit penyesuaian dari penulis agar lebih enak dinikmati sebagai bacaan ringan. Lumayan menyenangkan, meski aku tetap beranda-andai kisah ini ditulis bukan dengan gaya remaja yang membuat kisahnya agak kurang mengesan...
Stacia
yuck....not that great.

the plot was very simple and childlike, and most things were predictable. also, the BIG things that happened, seemed to just disapear. nothing was carried out to its full extent of tragedy.

i did like the discriptions of Bonaparte, though. his emotions and habits were consistent, and the imigae you got was always the same becuase the author stuck to the original discriptions of him.
Pitchaya
"Betsy and the Emperor" is a wonderful historical fiction.
I spent three days reading the first 40 pages.
The fourth day, I was about to give up, thinking about returning
it to my mum. I'm glad it didn't happen.

There were times when I forgot that
this book was written for young adults.
I strongly believe that it's written for anyone,
and suitable for history-haters (including me).
Emma
I would give this about a 3.5. I would have given it a four, but much of the story was made up by the author which made me a bit mad. Betsy never tried to free the emperor. She was his friend, but probably not to the extent the book portrayed it. However, I really enjoyed the story and the writing, and I think of Napoleon in a different light now.
Any historical fiction romances? 1 2 Jul 05, 2014 03:40PM
  • The Broken Blade (Pierre La Page #1)
  • The Iron Peacock
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Angel on the Square (Angel on the Square, #1)
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn (Samurai Detective, #1)
  • Stowaway
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • In Search of Honor
  • Year of Impossible Goodbyes
  • The Singing Tree
  • Live Like a Jesus Freak: Spend Today as If It Were Your Last
  • Nory Ryan's Song
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Turn Homeward, Hannalee
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
  • The Sherwood Ring
  • The Trojan War
Staton Rabin has a B.F.A. in film from New York University. In addition to writing for children, she is a screenwriter; a popular speaker about the art, craft, and business of writing for film; and a veteran story analyst for Scr(i)pt magazine, screenwriters, and producers. Staton Rabin lives in Irvington, New York.
More about Staton Rabin...
The Curse of the Romanovs Mr. Lincoln's Boys Black Powder Casey Over There Oh Boy! The Life and Music of Rock 'N' Roll Pioneer Buddy Holly