Start by marking “Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines” as Want to Read:
Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines

Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  690 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines, 12th Editionis the industry bible, containing information all graphic artists and their clients need to buy and sell work in a totally professional manner. This edition has been revised and updated to provide all the information you need to compete in an industry moving at lightning speed.
Published September 1st 2007 by Graphic Artists Guild (first published February 28th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Graphic Artists Guild Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graphic Artists Guild Handbook

Katharine
Aug 25, 2008 Katharine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all freelance designers
Shelves: design, nonfic
I haven't actually read this cover-to-cover; it's not the kind of book you sit down and just read. But it IS a great resource for a freelance graphic designer. This gives an overview of good business practices, with standard forms at the back. That information could be found elsewhere, even online if you spend a little time researching. What I found the most helpful are the detailed descriptions of different kinds of projects, what each might entail, processes and procedures expected, and pricin ...more
Michael Rowley
Oct 29, 2008 Michael Rowley rated it it was amazing
Here's what I love about these books.
Someone in marketing gets the great idea, 'Hey, let's have a logo design contest and the winner gets... um, $100.'
I feel like saying, 'Hey, our toilet's broken. Let's have a plumbing contest..'
Instead I retain my professionalism and say that's unethical. You see it's so in the Ethical Guidelines of the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook.

People woefully underestimate the value of design (both clients and designers). This helps.
S Suzanne
Aug 15, 2014 S Suzanne rated it it was amazing
This is a great reference, and I know there are many wonderful reviews here. I mainly want to let people know this updates regularly, and if you want to buy it, the latest version was released in 2013.

This is an earlier edition - not sure why Goodreads was recommending it to me, but I would be very angry if I simply ordered it then found there was a newer edition. This is not updated every year.

Anyone buying should get the latest version!

Alison
May 23, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I would never have survived as a freelance artist without this book. It is a must read for any designer or for anyone planning to hire a designer. It covers everything from pay scales to deliverables and even includes sample contracts and invoices to help new freelancers get started.
Janice Schwarz
Dec 23, 2014 Janice Schwarz rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone in the graphic design business. This is The Bible for the industry. It can also be helpful for web designers too. But a total must for graphic design.
Tim
May 19, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
This is how to use this book:
1. Client questions the price of your work
2. Show them that you do not charge as much as GAG Handbook
Cara
Got this by ILL. Unfortunately, it's the 2002 edition. Not too useful for a book about the current laws and pricing standards for my industry. Oh well. It did open my eyes to one thing: apparently all the "work for hire" I've been doing as a freelancer is actually not legally eligible to be considered "work for hire," at least by the laws of 2002. If I wanted to pursue some of these rights, I might have a case.
Jen
Jul 22, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A requirement for a class. This is a handy reference for anyone in the arts, though as I'm not a graphic artist, I was constantly mentally editing out what wasn't applicable. Sometimes it felt as though I were reading want ads for job descriptions that I was unqualified for (the graphic arts comments)... a classmate told me she felt the same way. Good general guidelines, though.
Chrissy
Mar 03, 2008 Chrissy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some helpful tidbits to help get my design business going, but for the most part I found the pricing suggestions to be astronomically higher than anyone in this area charges, and the formalities advised for dealing with clients were too, well, formal to be much use to me.
Ashley the Magnificent™
*Spoiler Alert!!! After you read this book you'll be a smarter designer.

Sure, you can design without having business sense. Unless you want to make money. :) I found this brick very useful when I was first starting out, and still occasionally turn to it for advice. GREAT resource!
Inggita
Aug 07, 2007 Inggita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic designers, illustrators, art directors
you need this book if you're a graphic designer/illustrator practicing outside Indonesia. For those in Indonesia, you'll want to check the book as a reference of the myriads of jobs available in the industry and how to use the off-the shelves agreement and quotes.
Marisa
Sep 13, 2009 Marisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any graphic designer or illustrator thinking of making a living on their art!
Possibly the Graphic Designers' very own bible. Has nearly everything a graphic designer or illustrator could ever want to know about selling their art. Be it freelance or working for a company. Highly recommended!
Katrina Sutton
This book is suppose to be helpful in understanding how to price, do contracts, and other things when it comes to working with clients and vice-versus.
Chris
Jun 25, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-design
I had the 1997 version (9th edition), and finally in 2012 decided to get rid of it and look into a more current edition. Plenty of good information.
Lindsay
Dec 05, 2010 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Must own for any freelance designer. Really helps figure out everything it takes to get the job done and cover your business bases.
Eldes
Sep 28, 2011 Eldes rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference tool for day-to-day of my illustration studio - especially when setting up a business proposal.
Rita Christine
Mar 27, 2016 Rita Christine rated it it was amazing
A great resource for independent designers/freelancers. I continue to reference this book on a daily basis.
Melissa
Mar 24, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have and invaluable resource for designers working both in studio, in-house, or freelance settings.
Natalie
Mar 31, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An indispensable guide for anyone starting out in the graphic design or illustration industry.
Toby
Jul 07, 2008 Toby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple must if you freelance, if you don't have it don't talk to me about freelancing. :D
Erik Mallinson
Apparently there is an ebook edition on the way, and I’m waiting for that instead of reading this.
Patrick Wood
Jun 15, 2010 Patrick Wood rated it it was amazing
Covers a lot of material critical to being in the media business.
Marisa
Feb 05, 2008 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be careful, be methodical...always. Always good to have a backup...
Kathy Ferrell
Nov 12, 2012 Kathy Ferrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Essential to the business. Exceedingly useful.
Karol Muñoz
must have reference for independent workers.
Eric p-h
Jan 18, 2009 Eric p-h rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
this is the coolest thing, like, ever.
Katie
Jan 24, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: graphic designers, illustrators
Shelves: reference
excellent resource.
Tracy Rea
Tracy Rea marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Faraz Hassani
Faraz Hassani rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
  • Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols