Start by marking “Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines” as Want to Read:
Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines

Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical guidelines, 12th Edition is the industry bible, containing information all graphic artists and their clients need to buy and sell work in a totally professional manner. This edition has been revised and updated to provide all the information you need to compete in an industry moving at lightning speed.
Published September 12th 2007 by Graphic Artists Guild (first published February 28th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Graphic Artists Guild Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graphic Artists Guild Handbook

Katharine
Aug 25, 2008 Katharine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all freelance designers
Shelves: design, nonfic
I haven't actually read this cover-to-cover; it's not the kind of book you sit down and just read. But it IS a great resource for a freelance graphic designer. This gives an overview of good business practices, with standard forms at the back. That information could be found elsewhere, even online if you spend a little time researching. What I found the most helpful are the detailed descriptions of different kinds of projects, what each might entail, processes and procedures expected, and pricin ...more
Michael Rowley
Here's what I love about these books.
Someone in marketing gets the great idea, 'Hey, let's have a logo design contest and the winner gets... um, $100.'
I feel like saying, 'Hey, our toilet's broken. Let's have a plumbing contest..'
Instead I retain my professionalism and say that's unethical. You see it's so in the Ethical Guidelines of the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook.

People woefully underestimate the value of design (both clients and designers). This helps.
Alison
I would never have survived as a freelance artist without this book. It is a must read for any designer or for anyone planning to hire a designer. It covers everything from pay scales to deliverables and even includes sample contracts and invoices to help new freelancers get started.
S Suzanne
This is a great reference, and I know there are many wonderful reviews here. I mainly want to let people know this updates regularly, and if you want to buy it, the latest version was released in 2013.

This is an earlier edition - not sure why Goodreads was recommending it to me, but I would be very angry if I simply ordered it then found there was a newer edition. This is not updated every year.

Anyone buying should get the latest version!

Janice Schwarz
A must-read for anyone in the graphic design business. This is The Bible for the industry. It can also be helpful for web designers too. But a total must for graphic design.
Cara
Got this by ILL. Unfortunately, it's the 2002 edition. Not too useful for a book about the current laws and pricing standards for my industry. Oh well. It did open my eyes to one thing: apparently all the "work for hire" I've been doing as a freelancer is actually not legally eligible to be considered "work for hire," at least by the laws of 2002. If I wanted to pursue some of these rights, I might have a case.
Jen
A requirement for a class. This is a handy reference for anyone in the arts, though as I'm not a graphic artist, I was constantly mentally editing out what wasn't applicable. Sometimes it felt as though I were reading want ads for job descriptions that I was unqualified for (the graphic arts comments)... a classmate told me she felt the same way. Good general guidelines, though.
Chrissy
There were some helpful tidbits to help get my design business going, but for the most part I found the pricing suggestions to be astronomically higher than anyone in this area charges, and the formalities advised for dealing with clients were too, well, formal to be much use to me.
Ashley the Magnificent™
*Spoiler Alert!!! After you read this book you'll be a smarter designer.

Sure, you can design without having business sense. Unless you want to make money. :) I found this brick very useful when I was first starting out, and still occasionally turn to it for advice. GREAT resource!
Inggita
Aug 07, 2007 Inggita rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic designers, illustrators, art directors
you need this book if you're a graphic designer/illustrator practicing outside Indonesia. For those in Indonesia, you'll want to check the book as a reference of the myriads of jobs available in the industry and how to use the off-the shelves agreement and quotes.
Marisa
Sep 13, 2009 Marisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any graphic designer or illustrator thinking of making a living on their art!
Possibly the Graphic Designers' very own bible. Has nearly everything a graphic designer or illustrator could ever want to know about selling their art. Be it freelance or working for a company. Highly recommended!
Katrina Sutton
This book is suppose to be helpful in understanding how to price, do contracts, and other things when it comes to working with clients and vice-versus.
Chris
I had the 1997 version (9th edition), and finally in 2012 decided to get rid of it and look into a more current edition. Plenty of good information.
Lindsay
Must own for any freelance designer. Really helps figure out everything it takes to get the job done and cover your business bases.
Eldes
Excellent reference tool for day-to-day of my illustration studio - especially when setting up a business proposal.
Rita Christine
A great resource for independent designers/freelancers. I continue to reference this book on a daily basis.
Catrina
Since I never took a class on business ethics in the design industry, this book is very important to me.
Melissa
A must have and invaluable resource for designers working both in studio, in-house, or freelance settings.
Natalie
An indispensable guide for anyone starting out in the graphic design or illustration industry.
Toby
A simple must if you freelance, if you don't have it don't talk to me about freelancing. :D
Erik Mallinson
Apparently there is an ebook edition on the way, and I’m waiting for that instead of reading this.
Patrick Wood
Covers a lot of material critical to being in the media business.
Marisa
Be careful, be methodical...always. Always good to have a backup...
Kathy Ferrell
Essential to the business. Exceedingly useful.
Karol Muñoz
must have reference for independent workers.
Eric p-h
this is the coolest thing, like, ever.
Katie
Jan 24, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graphic designers, illustrators
Shelves: reference
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Sagmeister: Made You Look
  • Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • Thinking with Type: A Primer for Designers: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols