Start by marking “The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta” as Want to Read:
The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta

The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta

>42 works, mostly color. Plates printed on one side only. Book is >11" tall.
Girl on a Horse • (1975) • interior art
Introduction • (1975) • essay by Betty Ballantine
Cindy Is Saved comic (2 pp) • (1954) • interior art
Nude woman on her knees being scolded by a male elf sketch • interior art
The Executioner • interior art
Stone Age • interior art (variant of Cover: Tarzan
Published January 1st 1975 by Rufus Publications/Peacock Press/Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta

Jim
Frazetta did a lot of the cover art for fantasy & SF books. His covers for the Lancer editions of the Conan books were what got me interested in him. Later, I recognized his style & bought a book just for the cover art - my first Kane book, by Karl Wagner. He's done a wide range including a lot of the Barsoom series for the Martian books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Also some Tarzan. He also illustrated for Playboy or Penthouse - I think he did the 'Little Annie Fanny' cartoons for a while. ...more
David
Oct 05, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best collections of Frazetta's artwork, with prints of classic paintings from Conan, John Carter of Mars, Pellucidar, Lord of the Rings, etc. Frazetta's iron-thighed barbarians and lush women are oft-imitated, never duplicated. He truly is unique among fantasy artists. Even Boris Vallejo is not his equal.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing
An incredible book full of some of the best paintings by my favorite artist. Beautiful large pages really bring these paintings to full viewing pleasure. If you love the art of Frank Frazetta then this is a book for you. Highly recommended.
MB Taylor
May 26, 2012 MB Taylor rated it really liked it
The first and best of the early five book series reprinting Frazetta's work on slick paper. Volume one reprints 6 of his legendary Conan covers for Lancer books, including the iconic Conan the Adventurer (possibly a repainting/reworking, given the ©74) and my favorite Conan, the cover to Conan of Cimmeria featuring a lone swordsman facing two larger warriors wielding doubled bitted axes.

Also included are three of my favorite Frazettas, "The Silver Warrior" (cover from a US edition of Michael Moo
Andy
Jul 03, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
With all the other art books I have, I can't believe it's taken me this long to get my first Frank Frazetta artbook. Picked this up second hand and it's a more than welcome addition to my library. Full of iconic Frank Frazetta art including the 'Egyptian Queen' that appears on the cover, some interior art from the Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter/Barsoom series, The Death Dealer and more. It's old (the copy I have was published in 1976), but totally worth looking out for. If you're a fan of Fra ...more
Serge Pierro
Dec 07, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This is the first volume of the initial series of books collecting the art of Frank Frazetta, and it is probably the best. Many of the iconic paintings are featured, including the legendary "Death Dealer" (including a closeup showing the detail). Many are recognizable as the covers to the Conan paperback series and the covers to various Warren publications. Also featured is some of Frazetta's beautiful pen and ink work. Highly recommended.
Thomas
Jun 08, 2010 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, art
RIP Frank. One of the all time greats. When I see artists like Boris who try to imitate him, it only brings into focus how pure Frazetta's talent was. I can't stand it when people make jokes about painted vans and Molly Hatchet record covers, trying to reduce the huge impact Frazetta has had on illustration. He is a legend!
the gift
again. just a trip back to my childhood. just the inspiration for so many sides of vans artwork... never better than this work. kids nowadays- where can they see this style- oh yeah: everywhere in your average super violent video games...
M.i.
Mar 24, 2015 M.i. rated it really liked it
There's something to be said about art work that seemingly transports you to the locations and worlds being displayed and doing so without the use of words or language. That's just how great this book is and of course Frazetta's artistry. My only qualm was just how quick I got through the book.
Elijah Meeks
Jan 05, 2010 Elijah Meeks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in a series of books exploring Frazetta's work. Ballentine's writing doesn't match up to the art and her exploration of Frazetta's technique and training is really little more than fandom, but the artwork is so spectacular that you don't mind.
Groot
Jan 05, 2016 Groot rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
The finest artist of the 20th century. I am Groot.
William Zupancic
Nov 21, 2016 William Zupancic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-r-t-about-many
FRANK FRAZETTA HAS BEEN , AND IS MY ALL-TIME " FAVORITE " MAN OF FANTASY ART !!! ... I LOVE HIS WORK !!!!!!! ... WILLIAM ZUPANCIC
Friedrich Haas
Aug 09, 2012 Friedrich Haas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Frazetta was a strong new wind, fresh, powerful, vibrant, and heralding change.
Ana
Feb 12, 2013 Ana rated it it was amazing
Masterfully beautiful. Frank frazetta's work is unique and fantastic in itself.
John
John rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Chema Santos
Chema Santos rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
Mohamed Lotfy
Mohamed Lotfy rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Brent
Brent rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Bokeshi
Bokeshi rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2013
Noel
Noel rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2008
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Laughingwolf
Laughingwolf rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2012
Nathan Anderson
Nathan Anderson rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2013
Wael Hajy
Wael Hajy rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
David Pollison
David Pollison rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2011
Eugene booker
Eugene booker rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2010
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Michael Grills
Michael Grills rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2011
  • Tree Finder: A Manual for the Identification of Trees by Their Leaves
  • Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko
  • Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great Aliens from Science Fiction Literature
  • Art History, Volume I (w/CD-ROM)
  • A Museum of Early American Tools
  • Intron Depot (Intron Depot, #1)
  • HTML and XHTML Pocket Reference
  • Schiele (Taschen 25th Anniversary Series)
  • Understanding Wood
Frank Frazetta was an American fantasy and science fiction artist, noted for work in comic books, paperback book covers, paintings, posters, record-album covers and other media. He was the subject of a 2003 documentary.

* Complete list of his book covers.
More about Frank Frazetta...