Start by marking “The Zen of Recovery” as Want to Read:
The Zen of Recovery

The Zen of Recovery

In this compelling blend of East and West, which has sold 53,000 copies, Mel Ash shows how Zen mind and practice connect to the heart of recovery. Courageously drawing from his lifetime of experience as an abused child, alcoholic, Zen student, and dharma teacher, Ash presents a practical synthesis of AA's Twelve Steps and Zen's Eightfold Path._x000D_ _x000D_ You don't have ...more
ebook
Published December 6th 2011 by Premier Publishing (first published January 6th 1993)

J.W.D.
May 07, 2014 J.W.D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For the record, this pseudowriter, not unlike his actual self, is a complete drug-addict poser. I have never met anyone in my life so bent on self-promotion i.e. 'Recovery' whilst consuming vast amounts of drugs. In fact, on the evening I spent in his presence he not only had rampant amounts of weed around, but insisted I 'Get up to a cookie a morning.' For the unenlightened, a single marijuana cookie is enough to have anyone save the 24/7 habitual pot-head hallucinating.

If you're interested in
Meen
Apr 11, 2008 Meen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Open-minded recovery people
Recommended to Meen by: LeeAnne from the Alano Club
I should probably just make this an "always-reading" b/c every so often I get all whacked out (w/o the external chemicals) and need to remind myself that this (usually an intimate relationship) too is recovery, growth, change, etc. Since I've dropped all the supernatural stuff, this is about the only 12-Step-related book I can read without wanting to poke my eyes out (except for Living Sober Trade Edition, which is good because it's more practical, not dogmatic), and even with this one I have to ...more
Rachel
Sep 01, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Feeling different is one of the symptoms of your human disease. Only by being one among many do we find true recovery of our human nature." (p.5)

"When asked if he was a god, Buddha replied that he was not. 'Are you a saint, then?' he was asked. He replied that he was not a saint either. 'Then what are you?' 'I am awake,' was his answer." (p.8)

"I simply disappeared for a second in a void of complete surrender, egolessness and nonsuffering." (p.25)

"We sleepwalk through the scripts and sets of our
Steve Woods
There was some good material in the early parts of this book, those that dealt with the Steps and the author gave us his take from what would be his personal Zen Perspective. The sections titled reflections and directions were a bit facile and pretentious in parts. I experienced sections of the book in those parts as "the author" being teacher rather than relating his experience in a very personal way, at those times the material just didn't have any weight for me. It's not that what was being p ...more
Mark
Jun 11, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to the audiobook version of the Zen of Recovery. Ash has a compelling life story and does a very good job in making important connections between the twelve steps and a non-theistic approach to recovery and to Zen in general. As a nice side benefit, I also really enjoyed learning some things about the Korean school of Zen.

If I were to be in the position to give the author some feedback, I'd probably tell him (after heartily thanking him for making an important contribution to
Colinski
Feb 20, 2008 Colinski rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't really agree with a lot of his views on Buddhism and on recovery, but all in all I'm glad someone attempted this, and this is a hell of a lot more interesting than most related books appear to be.
Susan
Apr 30, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some people say Bill W. studied Buddhism. Nah, there are universal truths common to AA & Buddhism.
Merredith M. Cunniff
Just what I needed!

Anyone in or out of recovery could benefit from this awesome book!! I can't wait to read it again!! Awesome.
Rev. Sheila
I read this book as a part of a meditation meeting.
Wendy
Aug 05, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff
Leah
Jan 23, 2009 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Twelve Steps Mantra....One Day at a Time.....Zen....Being ok and aware of this moment. Very interesting corellations and enjoyable short read.
Gloria L. Allen
Jan 24, 2016 Gloria L. Allen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like as found author too self-serving. Couldn't even finish as way too far into the book I could not figure out what the message was.
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Pake Hall
Pake Hall rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Michael Olmstead
Michael Olmstead rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Scott Perkins
Scott Perkins rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2008
Luke Manion
Luke Manion rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Mary Cassidy
Apr 14, 2017 Mary Cassidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a lot out of this, including statements such as (and I am paraphrasing here) be cautious of people trying to save you, the only difference between a halo and a noose is twelve inches. I do wish there was a little more detail about meditation, but there is an excellent bibilography at the end, so I know where to look.
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2007
Harald Herrmann
Harald Herrmann rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2013
Flicka Brooke
Flicka Brooke rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Bosco Farr
Bosco Farr rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Laura Thomas Boren
Laura Thomas Boren rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Mark (AKA Thomas)
Mark (AKA Thomas) rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Yamimana
Yamimana rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Katherine Quinn
Katherine Quinn rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age: A Brief History of Alcoholic Anonymous
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects - Steps Six and Seven
  • Recovery--the Sacred Art: The Twelve Steps As Spiritual Practice (Art of Spiritual Living)
  • Let Go: A Buddhist Guide to Breaking Free of Habits
  • Webs of Power: Notes from the Global Uprising
  • Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go: Reflections on the Teachings of Zen Master Lin Chi
  • The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous
  • From Survival to Recovery: Growing Up in an Alcoholic Home
  • Start Here Now: An Open-Hearted Guide to the Path and Practice of Meditation
  • A Woman's Way through the Twelve Steps
  • The Alcoholism & Addiction Cure: A Holistic Approach to Total Recovery
  • A New Pair of Glasses
  • Teaching English As A Foreign Language (Teach Yourself English As A Foreign Language S.)
  • Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Path to Recovering from Addiction
  • Grass Beyond the Mountains: Discovering the Last Great Cattle Frontier on the North American Continent
  • Graceful Exits: How Great Beings Die
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches

“It is the calendar that says: “Right now is the time. Who could want another?” 0 likes
“Master Shunryu Suzuki in his classic Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.” 0 likes