Start by marking “We Were There: Revelations from the Dallas Doctors Who Attended to JFK on November 22, 1963” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  21 reviews
There are few days in American history so immortalized in public memory as November 22, 1963, the date of President John F. Kennedy’s assassination. Adding to the wealth of information about this tragic day is We Were There, a truly unique collection of firsthand accounts from the doctors and staff on scene at the hospital where JFK was immediately taken after he was shot. ...more
Published November 6th 2013 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about We Were There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Were There

Serendipity. Sometimes we find ourselves in the right place at the right time. However, with the events that this book so (almost) vividly describes, we wonder if karma really had a reason for these doctors to be there on that dark November Friday afternoon over fifty years ago.

As we all know by now, President Kennedy was shot dead during a motorcade through downtown Dallas, Texas. I am not going to go into an in-depth analysis of the various theories behind his death here, just to say that fro
We Were There: Revelations from the Dallas Doctors Who Attended to JFK on November 22,1963 by Allen Childs, MD is 2013 release, published by Skyhorse Publishing.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

"It is said that the mastery of traumatic memory follows a course in which the trauma keeps intruding into consciousness until it is processed into less painful, less jagged, recollection. Curiously, highly pleasurable experiences keep intrud
This review is from an "Advance Reading Copy"

This is a book that was long overdue, much as last year's book from Clint Hill, detailing the Secret Service perspective of the assassination of JFK.
To have the written and spoken accounts of the Doctors of Parkland hospital, who rendered aid to the President, is invaluable and disturbing to the reader intrigued by the events leading up to and after the shooting of JFK.
There are differences in the retelling, as memory is wont to produce, but each vig
Jeannie Walker
The day President John F. Kennedy was assassinated was immortalized. This book details some thoughts and actions of doctors who were at Parkland Hospital where the President was rushed after his mortal wounding. I especially like the fact that the author put in a revelation that was secret from the public until now.
When I was a young girl I personally received a phone call and a letter from President Kennedy. He took time for the young and old alike.
It was a sad day in history when we lost this
Gayle Gordon
Fascinating revelations from this book. We will never know all there is to know about the Kennedy assassination! It's interesting how the different witnesses to the events at Parkland had varied memories of what happened. Sometimes the stories conflict, but I think that can be attributed to the imperfect recall skills of the human species. The general story remains the same. What the doctors and med students saw, heard, and felt during that time adds a new dimension to the study of the JFK assas ...more
G   Lee Graves
Conspiracy Confirmed

I was in the 101st Abn Div at Ft Campbell, KY and like all of our generation vividly recall exactly where I was and what I was doing when Kennedy was shot. Much like those of us remember the 9/11 attack. In the years following Kennedy's death, I was involved in I intelligence operations internationally. My observation, at 70, are those of one having lived through this period as an adult, one who is trained as an intelligence analyst, one who has been responsible to gather dis
Saw this on the new books shelf at the library and was curious enough to bring it home. A much quicker read than most books on JFK. These are the memories (written down at the time, given to the Warren Commission or remembered for this book) of a large group of doctors (from med students to residents to top surgeons) who were in Parkland Memorial Hospital when President Kennedy and Gov. John Connally were brought in.

Divided into chapters by themes with comments by the same group appearing here
"You aren’t going to believe this, but the president’s been shot and they’re bringing him to the emergency room.”

As expected, the fiftieth anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy saw a flood of new material published on everything from his personal life and early political career, to the presidency as well as the assassination itself. This only serves to demonstrate how unquestionably difficult it has become to find anything new to write (or read) about JFK. However, among the many
Jami Dutcher
I have always been fascinated with all things written about the Kennedy Assassination so I read this book with some excitement. I wanted to hear from all the Doctors that were there that day. What I found was a lot of med students and Drs talking about how they heard that Kennedy had been shot and was being brought to their hospital. Some of the accounts were interesting but more and more they were repeats of what the others said.
Jason Eslinger
Some interesting perspectives and some excellent oral histories. This was a nice, quick book. A little repetitive, which will probably drive the conspiracy crowd crazy, but very riveting. This assassination book doesn't dig real deep, but I think that is a good thing in this case. Recommended for the JFK diehards, but also for anyone else.
Though I was born in 1968, the assassination of JFK has always been something that I've been interested in.
This book is an oral history of the doctors and staff members on hand that dark day in Dallas.
I learned a few things I didn't know about that day-and the few days after.
A "Must Read", if you have any interest in this subject....
Deb Hickenbottom
I was somewhat disappointed with this book. I was expecting a flowing narrative of the story as told by the physicians. Instead it is just different moments in time told by over forty physicians There is a lot of repetition and some contradiction in these memories. It was still interesting
While attending the Texas Book Festival, my husband and I listened to a panel of authors who wrote about the assassination of the President. I wanted to read Dr. Allen Childs books since it had more of an emotional perspective of that fateful day. Even though I was 5 years old when this tragedy occurred, I still remember where I was when I heard the news. I remember viewing the funeral on our black and white TV. I read this book as a result of the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy's death.
Very interesting, especially if you have a medical background. It makes it very clear why the official report is rife with inconsistencies and the ever present conspiracies.
Very repetitive .... Nothing new....the best book still out there is the one I read in 1967 by William Manchester:The Death of a President.
Just ok. I remember JFK's assassination. Nothing really new.
Jocelyn Elliott
Very interesting book and a very quick read.
Disappointing book-
This book was great! Apparently at the time of JFK's visit to Dallas, Parkland was a teaching hospital. There were dozens of students attending class who have provided their recollections of that day along with the physicians who responded to the emergency room. From the fist phone call that the President had been shot to Governor Connelly to Oswald's shooting, this book covers it all. Highly recommended for anyone interested in first hand accounts of American history!!
As a nurse waited many many many years for this book....NOW it all makes sense. The book is very clinical (don't mind that @ all ....actually relish it) BUT @ same time very personal. Finally got a glimpse inside Trauma Room 1 & what happened there when BOTH Kennedy & then Oswald were mortally wounded pts......have wanted to know the MEDICAL facts for years....this book did not disappoint!
An easy read. An interesting perspective.
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Sally Cook
Sally Cook marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Erin Suess
Erin Suess marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Rosemary Griffin
Rosemary Griffin is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2015
  • End of Days: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
  • The Kennedy Half-Century: The Presidency, Assassination, and Lasting Legacy of John F. Kennedy
  • Dallas 1963
  • Darkness First (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #3)
  • How to Catch a Russian Spy: The True Story of an American Civilian Turned Double Agent
  • Five Days in November
  • Camelot's Court: Inside the Kennedy White House
  • Theodore Roosevelt and the Assassin: Madness, Vengeance, and the Campaign of 1912
  • Preserve The Dead (DS Lucy Black Book,#3)
  • A Decade of Hope: Stories of Grief and Endurance from 9/11 Families and Friends
  • We Won't See Auschwitz
  • Kitty Genovese: The Murder, the Bystanders, the Crime that Changed America
  • Independence: The Tangled Roots of the American Revolution
  • The Story of English: How the English Language Conquered the World
  • Operación Masacre
  • American Caesars: Lives of the Presidents from Franklin D. Roosevelt to George W. Bush
  • London 1945: Life in the Debris of War
  • America Eats!: On the Road with the WPA - the Fish Fries, Box Supper Socials, and Chitlin Feasts That Define Real American Food
Sixth Street, Texas (Images of America Series)