Start by marking “The Gentleman's Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Gentleman's Keeper

The Gentleman's Keeper

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  516 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
"Confronting the darkness of his past, he finds the light of his future. "

After years gadding about Europe, Everett Gerard can no longer avoid his responsibilities. Word has come that a child bearing the unmistakable Gerard stamp has shown up at the family estate-and he realizes it's time to face his demons.

As his carriage nears the gates of home, he fights the urge to fle
Published July 1st 2013 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Gentleman's Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gentleman's Keeper

The Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeDowntime by Tamara AllenBound by Deception by Ava March
Best Gay Historical Romance
143rd out of 562 books — 1,032 voters
Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatToo Stupid to Live by Anne TeninoTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2013
301st out of 676 books — 1,673 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Pageant
Jun 28, 2015 Nick Pageant rated it really liked it
BR with Adam

Great regency with a little mystery and a kid I didn't completely despise.
Rach  *Feisty kitty*
My first historical mm romance and I was hooked from page 1!

I loved the plot line, the character and relationship development. It was just amazing and the fact I want to find more historical mm books speaks volumes to me :)

I will certainly try more books by these two authors, as their style of writing is clear and allowed me to enter into the scene without fluffy/fancy vocabulary.

I loved it <3 <3
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
Being a bit of a historical m/m romance fan I discovered Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon's contributions to the genre a while ago and apart from one, each book that I've read and enjoyed have been 5 star reads and this one definitely joins the ranks.

I just find they always seem to get it right. Well for me anyway! The historical aspects might not be bob on for a true historian but the feel and atmosphere of the era they're writing about works perfectly and I always feel the chemistry between the me
Kaje Harper
Sep 19, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical
These authors know how to write historical romance with the right amount of authentic-feeling detail to support but not dominate the story. This is a smooth, straightforward story of two men who first come together out of opportunity and attraction, but bond over the life they come to share.

Gerard is a nobleman who has been in Europe, ignoring his family estate from a distance, due to the bad memories it holds. He is fairly comfortable in his awareness that he's only attracted to men. Gerard is
Richard
Feb 15, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aaa-2

I now know what will make happy and let me tell you what it is:
1) cutting all wired and wireless connections
2) a room full of bookshelves
3) said bookshelves filled with nothing but Bonnie Dee & Summer Devon historicals
4) my cats, Boomer and Tash

Alona
3.5 stars.
Lovely story, without too much drama or angst.
A tiny bit boring at times, but still, a great read that I will recommend as a nice read to all of you who love historical romance.
Steelwhisper
3.5 Stars rounded down on GR.

This was a pleasant read, flowing smoothly, the prose and plot both were the usual efficient style this writer duo engages in. With one exception--there was a bit too much telling.

However, in the end it didn't matter. The anguish Everett Gerard suffered was transmitted well, the growing love for the boy was quite obvious, and if there was a bit too much telling about what took place between Miles and Gerard, then be it. Both men at least clearly were men and no heter
Eli Easton
Aug 16, 2013 Eli Easton rated it it was amazing
Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon always write admirable m/m historicals, but I particularly loved this one. The writing is top of the genre and the story was fun. There's always a surprise or two in each scene, an unexpected turn, a shocking line of dialogue. Very fun to read.

This vaguely regency-era story stays true to the times while allowing these two men to form a relationship that works. I'm always fond of kids in romances and Ipsail was a hoot.

Excellent work, my dear authors. Look forward to m
K.J. Charles
Aug 11, 2013 K.J. Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, victorian, historical
This has a tremendous amount going for it - great well-realised setting, strong and very likeable characters, a child who isn't sentimental or a plot device. It didn't blow me away as other m/m historicals by this writing team have done - I'd have liked things to be a bit tougher for our heroes, with a stronger threat - but it's a really enjoyable read, and the more m/m Victorians we have, the better! (And it's nice to see Oliver and Robert from The Psychic and the Sleuth are doing well.)
Ami
I read two of these authors’ books back in January 2014 when I was doing my personal historical MM challenge. I loved those so much I decided to try another story of theirs – despite my personal go-to-person for MM historical, Heather C, said that she wouldn’t recommend this.

Alas, I should’ve listened...

The truth is I found this quite boring. I struggled to finish it and it wasn’t that long. I guessed with the blurb like “as they clash over the fate of the ancestral land”, I was hoping to read a
LenaLena
A solid historical romance story set on an estate in the countryside, not at the social events in London. Both Gerard and Miles are likable characters who are easy to root for. The book didn’t bore me, I finished it without resorting to having affairs with other books and I didn’t moan and groan and roll my eyes, and that is quite an accomplishment these days, really. What it also didn’t do is set my heart on fire and keep me awake at night. In short: I liked it, but I didn’t love it.

The main th
Becky Condit
Jul 09, 2013 Becky Condit rated it it was amazing
The arrival of a young half staved urchin named Ipsial at the Gerard family estate, known as the Abbey, is the catalyst that calls Everett Gerard home. Home to a place he vowed never to return to. Everett witnessed the aftermath of a terrible crime there as a child, and the ghosts still haunt him, so much so that he would rather the walls of his ancestral home crumbled away to ruin, than he ever had to walk within them again. However Everett needs to discover the truth about Ipsial as the note t ...more
Sherry
Jul 10, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it

Historical m/m romance taking place some time in England's industrial age (indoor plumbing and rail travel are mentioned). Gerard has been called back to his family's estate (an abbey) to address his byblow, Ipsial.

There's nothing very surprising about this story that you wouldn't find in a m/f historical romance except for the m/m main characters. Gerard starts off as a rather arrogant man of wealth (not nobility!) who gets physically ill due to bad memories of the abbey. But he's a de
Katrina Passick Lumsden
This one was just OK for me. I enjoyed it, but I was hoping for more. It suffered my high expectations, I suppose. I expected a bit more depth of feeling between the MC's, but there was a disconnect there that made the entire plot suffer.
Kate McMurray
Aug 09, 2013 Kate McMurray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, historical
I want for more books like this to exist in the world; this one hit a lot of my buttons (in a good way). If I have one complaint, it's that I wish we'd gotten a little more with the heroes; I was interested to know how they negotiated their relationship under the circumstances. (I finished the book thinking the ending was probably historically realistic but it didn't quite go far enough to assure me of their HEA. Not because I didn't buy that the characters were in love, but more because the ext ...more
Elisa Rolle
Everett Gerard, for various reasons, decided long ago to forget about his property, the Abbey. It’s 1888, in England, and while homosexuality is for sure forbidden, it’s not uncommon. Everyone basically knows Gerard is a sodomite, thanks also to an old scandal with an Italian count, but until he manages to disguise his real sexual inclinations with a libertine life, no one question why he is still a bachelor at almost 30 years old, and considering the fact his father died, he is not even worried ...more
Becky Black
May 21, 2015 Becky Black rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical
Books with children in them are tricky, but this one steers clear of sappiness over that. Paints a nice picture of two men figuring out how to make a life and a family with the restrictions of society hemming them in. And interesting how the fact of both being outsiders sexually bonded them despite their class differences. Like they recognised each other as friends despite the barriers society put between them.
Pjm12
Jul 15, 2013 Pjm12 rated it liked it
This is a quiet, loving story, which fit micely into its historical time period. I would have liked more of the backstories of these two restless characters, and I felt I was told, rather than shown how much they settled each other down.

Sweet stuff.
Deeze
Oct 28, 2014 Deeze rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-easy-reads
A sweet little historical read.

A little slow to get off the mark but enjoyable once young Ipsial enters things. No real drama just hints that never really go anywhere.

Overall a sweet gentle read.
K
Jul 30, 2013 K rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed several of these authors' historical novels, and this one was no exception. A little slow paced to start with but picked up about a third of the way in.
Heather C
Dec 22, 2013 Heather C rated it liked it
This was just ok. Didn't love it. It was a bit too slow and uneventful; and I think the kid was the best part.
Josie Goodreads
Jun 18, 2013 Josie Goodreads rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story, review to follow
Ulysses Dietz
Jul 24, 2013 Ulysses Dietz rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Mmes. Devon and Dee do know their way around a historical romance. I realize that the most ardent fans of this genre are less nitpicky than I am. It's not just because I'm a man, but because of my longtime love of 19th-century English novels. Read enough Trollope and Dickens and Thackeray - even George Eliot - and you develop a sense of what the right tone is; the right sense of time and place and character and language. Summer Devon and Bonnie Dee manage to pull it off, repeatedly, and for a fu ...more
Gabbi

I’ve read several books by the writing team of Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon and I’ve enjoyed them all. They have a knack of writing really sexy, interesting characters that live and breathe off of the written page. When it comes to writing gay historical romances, their books are definitely not to be missed. Between their descriptive storytelling ability and their likeable heroes, it’s easy to get swept up into the lives of their characters.

The blurb does an excellent job at describing the story,
Octobercountry
Jul 15, 2013 Octobercountry rated it really liked it
Ah, what can I say---either you like these sorts of historical romances or you don't---and I most certainly do! I've read (and reviewed) a number of other titles by Devon and Dee, which I liked very much, so this new novel was an auto-buy for me. Didn't even have to consider my purchase for a moment; once I saw they had published another I picked up a copy instantly.

How does it compare to the others? Well, the plot is perhaps a bit simpler than what I've been accustomed to from the authors' prev
Bo
Sep 22, 2014 Bo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Exposition of What Family Means

Not fair, ladies. You need to consider sequels to each of your 19th Century m/m romances, most especially this one. It's overwhelming in the way each main character, Everett Gerard, Lord of the Manor, and Miles Kenway, Keeper of the Abbey, manifests his feelings to the other and the reader--about the other man, about life goals and most especially about the ragamuffin boy, Ipsial, who enters their lives and pulls them together while others would pull them
The Novel Approach Reviews
3.5 Stars

I try not to dwell so much on the show vs. tell argument, but there are times that it’s just critical to the building of believable relationships for me, and I felt there was some show-me missing from this story that, in the end, made it a pleasant read, a very heartwarming tale, but didn’t set me over the edge into a place where I was emotionally invested in the relationship between Gerard and Miles as much as I was glad that Ipsial had finally found a home.

You can read the rest of thi
Ayanna
Feb 28, 2014 Ayanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, lul-wut, meh
...I mean, I didn't hate it, but it was almost pathetically benign. I guess I assumed from reading the blurb that it'd be something more gritty, or angsty, or, I dunno, some sort of tension-filled. Other than the fact that the MC was justifiably traumatized by his family home and kind of reacted a bit, that was kind of it for the dark-ish-ness. I mean, even that seemed to have been magically Conquered through the Power of Love (or at least lust).

The villain we are led to believe will be a villai
Book Gannet
This Victorian romance about two very different men and the wild child that unites them was pretty adorable. It's a fun, easy read about so much more than the romance between Miles and Gerard. The heart of this story for me was Ipsial, the wild, independent boy who grew up too fast and has learned to protect what’s his. He’s a great character, and I loved how he changed the two men just as much as they changed him.

Of course, the romance between Miles and Gerard was good too. Miles is such a stro
Christine
All that hot and repressed Victorian British sexuality. Lots of "Lady Chatterly" vibes as well -- upper class getting down and dirty with the outdoor help...:)

Everett Gerard's sad and isolated childhood made him turn away from his family, his place in society, and himself, until an unavoidable duty calls him home to the abbey....and to Miles Kenwood, the estate bailiff. When Gerard arrives, he finds Kenwood attempting to manage Ipsial, a barely civilized boy who's appeared at the abbey claiming
The Backlot Gay B...: The Gentleman's Keeper by Summer Devon and Bonnie Dee 4 22 Jul 24, 2013 07:24PM
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • A Minor Inconvenience
  • A Private Gentleman
  • The Celestial
  • Kindred Hearts
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • On a Lee Shore
  • The Psychic and the Sleuth
  • The Only Gold
  • Convincing Leopold (London Legal, #2)
  • Lord of Endersley (The Endersley Papers, #1)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Bitter Rednesses of Love
  • Bless Us With Content
  • Death by Silver
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
  • One Indulgence (Indulgence, #1)
I began telling stories as a child. Whenever there was a sleepover, I was the designated ghost tale teller. I still have a story printed on yellow legal paper in second grade about a ghost, a witch and a talking cat.

I enjoy dabbling in many genres. Whether you're a fan of contemporary historical or fantasy romance, you'll find something to enjoy among my books. I'm interested in flawed, often dama
More about Bonnie Dee...

“The boy would have to work, yet gain some reward because he probably enjoyed a crackling fire as much as the next child. Of course, because this was Ipsial, Miles might be teaching him to be an arsonist.” 0 likes
“he recognized that particular look.” 0 likes