Start by marking “Tarzan the Terrible” as Want to Read:
Tarzan the Terrible
Read Book* *Different edition

Tarzan the Terrible (Tarzan #8)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,505 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Tarzan is searching for his beloved Jane. He has tracked her to a hidden valley called Pal-ul-don, which means "Land of Men." In Pal-ul-don Tarzan finds a real Jurassic Park filled with dinosaurs, notably the savage Triceratops-like Gryfs, which unlike their prehistoric counterparts are carnivorous. The lost valley is also home to two different races of tailed human-lookin ...more
ebook
Published March 4th 2013 by Estar Books (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Tarzan the Terrible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarzan the Terrible

Quentin Wallace
This was one of the more confusing Tarzan books to me. You end up with Tarzan caught between two ancient civilizations, which seems to happen a lot to him. There sure were a lot of lost civilizations in Africa around 100 years ago. Anyway, we have a prehistoric race complete with tails. Also, we have dinosaurs! Triceratops show up, but these are meat eaters. At first, I thought it was just bad science, but it was something Burroughs called attention to a few times. He was either saying the scien ...more
Stephen Gallup
A fairly typical day in the life of Tarzan seems to go like this: (1) Scale a cliff with some new friends in search of a girl who recently fled an attacker; (2) fight and kill a lion that had menaced that girl. (3) fight single-handedly against 20 enemy warriors, taking out several before finally being dropped by a blow from behind; (4) awake as a prisonor, kill the guard, and escape; (5) finally locate the above girl just in time for another hand-to-hand battle with a loathsome subhuman creatur ...more
dragonhelmuk
Ailish
By the time I finished this book I began to ask myself just how many times Jane can be kidnapped. This is number 8 in the series and I haven't read past 2, but it appears that a lot of water has passed under the bridge in the intervening books. Tarzan finds himself in a prehistoric corner of the jungle where triceratops roam free and people have highly organised societies and intelligence and look just like Tarzan except for their thumbs and toes and the fact that they have long tails. And some ...more
Climber Girl
Tarzan the Terrible was a great book. I read it without knowing it was in a series, but it still made sense. It had many different twists and turns that I never predicted. The story line is interesting because while Tarzan is in search of his wife Jane, he meets many different races of civilized people. He helps them fight battles and solves some of their problems then moves on.
The beginning was a little slow but it is action packed at the end. It also had a very high vocabulary. A good book,
Cheryl
Finally after one complete book and almost 200 pages into this one the question is asked and answered--Jane has reportedly been killed by the Germans, Tarzan has gone on his trail of vengence and discovers that Jane is NOT dead. So he heads off into the wilds to find her. Lots of toils and tribulations follow and finally, finally 200 pages into this book, finally the question is asked--where is their son?? There is never any mention of Tarzan attempting to contact his son. No mention of him even ...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Tarzan the Terrible by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the eighth novel in the Tarzan series, continues the adventures of the Ape Man from Tarzan the Untamed during World War I (the novel was published in 1921).

Jane has been taken by Germans soldiers and Tarzan is frantically looking for her. The fact that they are English and World War I is raging doesn’t help. Tarzan stumbles upon Pal-ul-don (Land of Men) filled with strange humans and prehistoric animals.

Tarzan befriends Ta-den, a warrior of the Ho-don
Matti Karjalainen
Edgar Rice Burroughsin "Kauhea Tarzan" (Karisto, 1946) on itsenäinen jatko-osa edelliselle apinamies-romaanille "Talttumaton Tarzan", jonka päätteeksi sankarimme ryhtyi etsiskelemään ensimmäisen maailmansodan tuiskeissa saksalaisten vangiksi joutunutta Jane-puolisoaan.

Tarzanin etsinnät vievät hänet Pal-ul-donin kadonneeseen maailmaan, josta löytyy niin lihaa syöviä (!) triceratopseja ja muita karmeita muinaiseläimiä, hännällisten ja karvapeitteisten waz-donilaisten kaltaisia paikallisheimoja, i
wally
Tarzan the terrible...#8?...I've only read Tarzan of the Apes which I assume (recall?) is #1? I don't believe the order is important....and this will be...about the 7-9th? from ERB I've read.

This one begins:
Silent as the shadows through which he moved, the great beast slunk through the midnight jungle, his yellow-green eyes round and staring, his sinewy tail undulating behind him, his head lowered and flattened, and every muscle vibrant to the thrill of the hunt.

Onward and upward.

Update
Complete.
Howard
I have read all 24 of the Tarzan books. Read dates are from the mid 1970s through 1982. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the Tarzan books. They made a great escape from high school and college. I still have all 24 books and they are at the top of my book shelf. I thought it was pretty neat to find the actual covers listed on Goodreads and there are no barcodes on the books, plus the cover price ranged from $1.50-1.95 for each book.
Justin Anthony
I'll be honest, I was getting burned out on the Tarzan series. I loved the first three books, liked Son Of, but the last couple were just the same thing repeated and I was getting bored.

So I started reading Tarzan the Untamed and felt more or less the same about it as I did the last couple, until the end when it goes "to be continued..."

...ok, ok, you have my attention...and Tarzan the Terrible was a completely different book with all sorts of new twists and situations (I'm trying to be vague so
Robert
Oct 22, 2007 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tarzan, ERB fans
This is a continuation of the story begun in Tarzan the Untamed, but as usual it more or less stands alone, inheriting only the predicament of Jane (who as I noted in the review for the Untamed, was fairly obviously not actually dead). Tarzan searches the wilds of Africa for his beloved, encountering tailed humans (supposedly isolated remnants of the evolutionary process) and bloodthirsty but easily tamed carnivorous triceratops in a "Lost World" isolated by a nasty swamp. Jack (their son) rides ...more
Janith Pathirage
It was not Terrible .. You must read Tarzan The Untamed before coming to this book. This time, I liked the per-historic city Tarzan went into. It's not like the other boring lost cities we see in Tarzan books (specially in the ones Burroughs wrote later on), this one's kinda ok to me. The story was also good
Jrgonaut
Best book ever written. Okay, the best Tarzan book ever written. Everyone has one great book in them. This was it.
Christophe
Classic Tarzan adventure, full of action, damsels in distress, and "primitive" chivalry. Well written and well read.
Lydia
Ira Livingston
Continues the story began in "Untamed". Awesome!
David
Tarzan the Terrible (Tarzan #8) by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Wildside Press 1921) (Fiction). Tarzan learns that Jane was not killed in the last novel by the Germans but merely kidnapped. he sets off in search of her. he finds his way to Zaire into a secluded valley peopled by dinosaurs and men with tails. They are impressed enough with Tarzan to name him "Tarzan the Terrible." But another man from the jungle has come to the valley also looking for Jane. My rating: 6/10, finished 1972.
Eric Atkisson
What can I say? I'm addicted to this series. And it does get more entertaining as it goes on, and the plots and settings become more fantastical, like this one's. I can't wait until he journeys to the center of the earth. ;-)
Neil Aring
Not one of my favorites from the series. The use of multi-hyphenated names starting mostly with "J" for everything and everyone in the strange land Tarzan found himself got to be annoying. Also a little too much political intrigue in between head banging. Tarzan is his usual godly self though and Jane is strong and independent. And carnivorous triceratops - Yikes!
Keith
This was one of the best of the Tarzan novels I read. I read it in the 1960's. In, "Tarzan The Terrible", our hero has many setbacks and obstacles to overcome before he can rescue the kidnapped Jane. Jane also shows her resourcefulness and independence in the story. One of the highlights of the novel was the 2nd person who came to rescue Jane.
Skjam!
I liked how not just Tarzan, but all the good guy characters (including Jane!) are pretty darn awesome.

I felt Burroughs got a little too cutesy with concealing the identity of the man with the rifle until the end; people who have read the rest of the series will know who it is immediately, first-timers won't get it at all.
Nathan Langford
A nice adventure of seeing a different branch of the evolutionary tree as it might have been if we had prehensile tails in an early 'historic' society - politics of theocracy vs. monarchy - all run by very different 'humans' with the same foibles and fallacies, intellect and nobility that we see in a modern world.
Cheryl
Feb 27, 2015 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
It had been years that I last read an Edgar Rice Burroughs book. I had forgotten his amazing use of language. phrase and his paragraph long sentences.
Jessica Burde
Like all the Tarzan books a fun, light read. Love seeing Jane as an active force in the book who has learned to take care of herself.
Harold
It's been decades since I read this and I still remember the words.."Tarzan Jad Guru" !" GREAT read!
Matt
It's ridiculous and racist, but if you can embrace the former and ignore the latter, it's escapist fun.
Cecil
An entertaining book where tarzan is helped to defeat the bad guys by prehistoric animals.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Pal-Ul-Don y su mundo perdido se abre a la búsqueda de Tarzan por la raptada jane.
Charles
Again, a natural. Get Tarzan into the most primitive environment possible.
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke (Wold Newton #1)
  • Doc Sidhe
  • Worms Of The Earth (Bran Mak Morn)
  • The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu
  • The Land of Terror (Doc Savage, #8)
  • The Syndic
  • Dwellers in the Mirage
  • The Book of Pirates
  • Time and Mr. Bass (Mushroom Planet, #6)
  • The Dark World
  • Allan Quatermain
  • Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One
  • Superman, Last Son of Krypton
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Tarzan (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • The Return of Tarzan (Tarzan, #2)
  • The Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan, #3)
  • The Son of Tarzan (Tarzan, #4)
  • Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (Tarzan, #5)
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)
  • Tarzan the Untamed (Tarzan, #7)
  • Tarzan and the Golden Lion (Tarzan, #9)
  • Tarzan and the Ant Men (Tarzan, #10)
  • Tarzan, Lord Of The Jungle (Tarzan, #11)
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)