Start by marking “Celebrated Summer” as Want to Read:
Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer

This original graphic novella is a funny and moving story of escalating humor and tension between two disaffected teens, Mike and Wolf, who take a spontaneous summer road trip after dropping acid. As the stark black and white of Forsman's cartooning indicates, however, this is not a psychedelic, Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby kind of trip. Instead of the ...more
Published January 4th 2014 by Fantagraphics (first published October 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrated Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrated Summer

Jeff
Aug 16, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
A pair of alienated teen-aged boys, Wolf and Mike, drop acid one summer looking for a life-altering experience, but end up with a reality altering experience that changes little in their lives.

The trip doesn’t go much beyond heightening their sense of disassociation with things and increasing their paranoia.

Much of it is told from the perspective of Wolf, a kid who’s able to think about what he’s going through, but never able, sadly, to articulate it with anyone.

The spare black and white artwork
Anthony Vacca
Jul 24, 2014 Anthony Vacca rated it liked it
A heart-on-the sleeves account of a recently graduated, overweight mope who goes on a spur-of-the-acid-fueled-moment day trip to the beach with his chain-smoking, lanky buddy. Several moments of tripped-out awkwardness follow.

Being a teenager sucks. Being fat sucks. Girls are scary and Parents are the worst. Nobody wants to die alone. When is life going to start feeling meaningful?

Since reading, have had Husker Du's (sorry, no umlauts) album New Day Rising stuck in me head all day long - which i
Sam Quixote
Jun 02, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
“Sad bastard comics” sounds like a derogatory label but it’s not, at least not to me – I like sad bastard comics! Seth and Jason both create sad bastard comics and I love Seth and Jason’s work (I highly recommend It’s a Good Life If You Don’t Weaken by Seth, and The Left Bank Gang by Jason – melancholic but beautiful comics).

Charles Forsman’s Celebrated Summer is along the same lines of those great cartoonists’ work, exploring themes of nostalgia and loneliness as two teens, Mike and Wolf, drop
Norman Kim
Mar 01, 2016 Norman Kim rated it liked it
A pretty meager demonstration of adolescent wandering. Lots of acid tripping, not much of a story. A brief glimpse into an overweight character named Wolf's self esteem issues. It wasn't bad; I just wanted more substantial development of characters and plot.
rob
Jan 01, 2014 rob rated it liked it
Pretty barebones in the story-telling dept., but a book that creates isolated feelings from characters trying to escape isolation is a book that doesn't have to try too hard, but succeeds anyways. I wish there was more here, though. Breezing thru in about 20 min makes some of th more experimental parts feel like wasted paper, but the char interaction (or lack thereof) during th trip on the trip makes up for it. I wish there was more here, though. The black and white works pretty well in ...more
David Schaafsma
May 04, 2014 David Schaafsma rated it liked it
Very spare story, very spare art, of two guys in their late teens, maybe 20, who decide one evening to drop acid and then take a road trip to the beach, stay out all night…. Not much happens, which is pretty much the point, slice of life, and at the end we look back on this night….. I like slice of life minimalism, but this is really minimal….
Jeffrey West
Dec 15, 2013 Jeffrey West rated it liked it
A slow-paced graphic novel of two teens, who recently finished school, taking a road trip after dropping acid. Their conversations explore the fears of entering adulthood and the existential phase following the conclusion of a major part of one's life.
Alex Firer
Mar 22, 2014 Alex Firer rated it really liked it
Hey everyone, da book is as scared as me!
A David
Sep 18, 2016 A David rated it it was ok
A fairly by-the-numbers bio-comic. Nothing much to say or impart to its audience, and by the end, is unlikely to have left much of an impact.
Raina
Nov 26, 2014 Raina rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, adult
I only read this maybe a week or two ago, and I remember being pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. But the fact that (even after flipping through the pages) I don't remember basically anything about it other than the aesthetic chalks it up as forgettable. I do remember I read it in about a half hour one morning.

It's the story of two guys on drugs. I do remember appreciating the window into their brains, particularly the kid who used to be a bully. I feel like it's a perspective we don't
Ana
Apr 11, 2015 Ana rated it it was ok
I picked up this one solely because of an AV Club recommendation. If I'd had a chance to look through it a comics shop, I probably wouldn't have ended up reading it. But seeing as I'd ordered it from the library...

It was ok, but I'm not really into depictions of drug trips, acid or not. I also found the idea of only using black and white to depict an acid trip a bit limiting. I can't really say i enjoyed it, even if the last few pages did redeem it a bit.
P.
Jun 21, 2014 P. rated it liked it
I love comics where it feels like I'm spying on people. in this case it feels like you're spying on someone's momentary nostalgia for a time that wasn't so great in retrospect, but it still feels like it was great. forsman gets the feeling of hot lazy restlessness right, and also the power dynamic between teenage friends.
Dean Simons
Jan 11, 2015 Dean Simons rated it really liked it
A rather sad and in some ways a rather profound work. It very much leans more toward the 'art' than 'literary' and sometimes becomes a bit self indulgent but I rather enjoyed this work. I did leave this work wanting to give Wolf a hug though. Poor guy.
Mariana Orantes
Mar 31, 2014 Mariana Orantes rated it it was amazing
Estoy muy de acuerdo con esta reseña escrita por quien me prestó esta hermosísima novela gráfica. Si pueden, leánla, es un golpe al corazón: http://desdelglobo.com/celebrated-sum...
Debra
Aug 03, 2014 Debra rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Wasted youth and no goals for adulthood. I think this is an on going challenge for many young adults in America.
Maude Lariviere
Maude Lariviere rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2016
Lawrence
Lawrence rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Andrei Alupului
Andrei Alupului rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2014
Tracy E.
Tracy E. rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Evgeny Lipinsky
Evgeny Lipinsky rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Robert Singh
Robert Singh rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Przemysław Gumułka
Przemysław Gumułka rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Tara Schaafsma
May 05, 2014 Tara Schaafsma rated it liked it
Kind of funny. Acid trip.
Annie Jo
Annie Jo rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Jeremy Patterson
Jeremy Patterson rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Alexander Czysz
Alexander Czysz rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Rega Rahman
Rega Rahman rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
  • The Love Bunglers
  • Monsters
  • Flood!
  • Special Exits
Charles Forsman was born in Pennsylvania in 1982. He is arguably the most acclaimed talent to come out of the Center for Cartoon Studies, a school founded in 2004 by graphic novelist James Sturm and educator Michelle Ollie in White River Junction, VT. Forsman graduated in 2008 and is a two-time Ignatz Award-winner for his self-published minicomic, Snake Oil. He lives in Hancock, MA, where he runs ...more
More about Charles Forsman...