Start by marking “Bobs, a Girl Detective” as Want to Read:
Bobs, a Girl Detective

Bobs, a Girl Detective (The Adventure and Mystery Series for Girls)

Finally available, a high quality book of the original classic edition of Bobs, a Girl Detective. It was previously published by other bona fide publishers, and is now, after many years, back in print. This is a new and freshly published edition of this culturally important work by Grace May North, which is now, at last, again available to you.

Get the PDF and EPUB NOW as w
Published March 8th 2013 by Emereo Classics (first published May 8th 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Bobs, a Girl Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bobs, a Girl Detective

Caroline

The 1928 novel Bobs, a Girl Detective by Grace May North, has as much style and depth as a Stratenmeyer book. In it, the “impoverished” Vandergrift sisters, Gloria, Roberta (Bobs), Gwen, and Lena May have moved to New York City to find work and to live in a dilapidated mansion. They solve mysteries. And help immigrants. And have romantic entanglements.

I rather imagine that the author (like most of her generation) was inordinately influenced by Little Women. Her story also features four sisters,
Richard
Oct 31, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
There are a number of things I loved about this book, like the protagonist Bobs (Roberta) -- whom the author keeps reminding us is a "hoidenish girl", which is apparently another term for tom-boy. She's one of four sisters who lose their home due to some problem with title to the property left by their grandfather. They have some adventures in the big city, circa 1928.

The book is pretty short and up through the first 75% of it, I sometimes wondered how the author would ever wrap things up succes
Roberta
Sep 14, 2016 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The first book where I remember actually seeing the classic phrase: "Had she but known."

Having been used to reading girl detective books written later, like The Secret of the Old Clock with Nancy Drew and Saboteurs on the River with Penny Parker, this book seemed tame and old fashioned in comparison. It could have been better.

The portrayal of a family of rich girls adjusting to living a life as poverty-stricken orphans was not very realistic. The girls were supposed to have very little money bu
Monica
Aug 01, 2015 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books, mystery
I listened to this book while I mowed the lawn. It was very entertaining altho it felt like a book I had read before mainly because I figured out what was going to happen long before we got to that part of the story. Seemed the author used such a basic plot and hinted at what was going to happen before it happened that I usually knew before I got to that part of the story what it was all about.
Richard Chandler
Richard Chandler rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Kellie
Kellie rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Jessica Vlastelica
Jessica Vlastelica rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Shannon Ross
Shannon Ross rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
Cosmic.dave
Cosmic.dave rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Kate Meacham
Kate Meacham rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Sophie Airwhirl
Sophie Airwhirl rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
K.l.
K.l. rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Robina Fox
Robina Fox rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Liana Millis-Radway
Liana Millis-Radway rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2015
Tamii
Tamii rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Elle
Elle rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2014
ouija
ouija rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2014
April Rice
April Rice rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Dat Huynh
Dat Huynh rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Onni
Onni rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Abby
Abby rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Damaschin Dana
Damaschin Dana marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Gregoire
Gregoire marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Camila Andonaegui
Camila Andonaegui marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Grace May North-Monfort was born in Utica, New York, and between 1919 and 1931 wrote a number of books under her own name as well as her personal pseudonym, "Carol Norton." In addition to writing three volumes in the X Bar X Boys series, she also wrote a short series of western stories for young children, called the "Southwest Stories for Children," unpublished at the time of her death.
More about Grace May North...

The Adventure and Mystery Series for Girls (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Meg of Mystery Mountain