Start by marking “Perfect Health (Revised Edition)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Health (Revised Edition)

Perfect Health (Revised Edition)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,762 ratings  ·  87 reviews
When it was first published in 1990, Deepak Chopra's Perfect Health quickly became an international bestseller. Combining ancient Ayurvedic healing practices with modern Western medicine, this unique book offered a step-by-step programme of mind/body medicine that could be tailored to the individual's needs.

Now, in celebration of the tenth anniversary of this classic bests...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Bantam (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Health

Denise
Anxious to learn more about Ayurveda, I found this book to be a wealth of information and a definite reference for the future. For me, this book was a great starting point into this amazing Eastern India concept. This is certainly a place to start if you are interested in learning more about the practices of Ayurveda.

I did notice, after completing a Metabolic Typing course that the Ayurvedic approach lists foods that my metabolic type differed from on a wide scale. For me, it goes back to listen...more
Chantel McCray
As I was reading this all of the practices mentioned seemed vaguely familiar. It dawned on me that I saw this book in my great grandmothers bookshelf when I was a teenager, and I watched her practice Ayurveda (yoga, meditation, the specialized diet for each season, the herbal compounds and teas) almost my entire life. I didn't know that's what she was doing. I just thought she was my weird grandma. She lived a very long, active, and healthy life. She was absolutely gorgeous and intelligent until...more
Elizabeth
My sister has recently gotten me interested in the field of Ayurveda, which many refer to as the medical side of yoga. In fact, it's an ancient Indian healing philosophy that strikes to balance the various doshas of the body. Each person is a combination of the three doshas (vata, pitta, kapha), and knowing your own constitution can help you to make decisions about diet, exercise, daily routines, and so forth. Chopra vehemently believes that you can attain perfect health -- even put off aging --...more
Angie
Relieved to be done! This book has been on my "to-do" list since May. I appreciate many of the concepts Dr. Chopra stands by-- "our bodies are rivers, constantly changing... anything in the body can be changed with the flick of an intention". I enjoyed the basic run down of pranayama and yoga poses as well.
That said, I think the idea of the mind-body types, or doshas and their associated qualities seem to me, very subjective. The majority of the book encouraged expensive and time consuming Ayur...more
Noora
Such an interesting perespective on the correlation between genes, personalities and a healthy diet. If you follow the quiz and advice you may learn what specific foods make you groggy and a pain to be around, and what actually makes you feel happy and a pleasure to be around. Based on ancient traditions and science which can be applied today. Definitely will change the way you see your eating habits and the way you react to certain foods. Find balance in your three 'doshas' and you will find ba...more
Erin Berglin
Great intro to ayurvedic health principles and just makes you feel good reading it!
adri patamoma
que livro chaaaato!!! eu já comecei a lê-lo muitas vezes, desde o meu primeiro surto de naturebice (no final dos anos 90), mas nunca tinha conseguido passar da metade. desta vez, fiquei firme e forte e li toda a chatice até o fim! ufa! foi boa a sensação de meta cumprida, viu? este livro tem algumas ideias boas (ele recomenda ioga e meditação, que adoro e que nunca vão fazer mal pra ninguém), mas no geral achei muito blá-blá-blá -- é como ler um livro sobre o que o bom senso dita -- o bom senso,...more
Colby Klein
Deepak Chopra has the most in depth approach to Ayurveda that I've found so far. The quiz at the start of the book used to identify your personal Dosha balance and "type" is incredibly accurate and the steps outlined for balancing and maximizing your potential were hugely helpful for me. The book is more or less tailored to the individual reading it, and all of my friends and family who I forced to take the test were equally surprised at how accurate the results were. The book has very little re...more
Lisa Shultz
You can't help adding more ingredients of health into your life after reading this book. Understanding that your health needs might be slightly different than someone else is also valuable because we each need to follow our innate nature and intuition as to what calms us or heals us. I will refer back to this book often and gladly recommend it to others who are interested in experiencing excellent health.
Cláudia Martinelli fujihara
I think this book is a nice introduction to Ayurvedic Medicine. You can have an idea about the doshas and he gives some meditation, yoga and pranayama technics.
I just wouldn't call the quantum stuff that he writes a scientific thing. It's still a philosophy and a point of view on how our body and mind work and, for me, it makes sense.
Someone posted on reviews that this book is full of commin sense. Well, I think health is about common sense: eat better (more and different types vegetables, for...more
Kim Potvin
Very interesting read. Have not tried the diet recommended for my Ayurvedic "type" yet. Too many of my fav foods would have to be eliminated (avocados!). Read the 1990 version, which was given to me.
Hazel
This is a fascinating book on Ayurveda. You fill out the questionnaire to find out what body type you fall into, eg. kapha, pitta, etc. It makes sense to me. I've always noticed things like I need to stay warm since I often get sick if I get chilled. This book also talks about temperment. As in, are you easy to anger or are you mostly a calm kind of person? It's an interesting way to look at the topic of health. Lots of people might say this stuff is garbage but Ayurveda has been around a long t...more
Theo
Jan 22, 2008 Theo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Theo by: Corey Kaster
This book is so terribly exciting I can't help but tell everyone about it!!
Astonishingly accurate, the ancient Indian Ayurvedic medicine assists you in determining your body/mind type, thus enabling you to choose the activities, foods, aromas, exercises, and all around lifestyle habits associated with improving the health of YOUR specific type.
I can already say in no uncertain terms that I ascribe my anxiety being reduced to nil of incorporating what I've learned from this book.
ABSOLUTELY r...more
Tamara
Fascinating information that I'm excited to put into practice. It makes sense why I do the things I do.
Lynn O'Neill
I wasn't overly happy with this book.
I felt at times it was more of an elaborate advertisement for his centre.
I took the quiz a few times to find my dosha (as I had with other books of his) and always ended up being a balance between all three - as this is rare I could conculde that the test itself is worth revising...
There was not much advice for the three dosha person either - i felt i was reading through pages that i couldn't relate to.
I am interested in the mind/body connection but felt it...more
Whitney Marie
This was the first book that I have read by Deepak Chopra and I enjoyed the knowledge that he has to offer about how our minds are connected to our bodies and so on. I will definitely recommend this book to others who are into meditation and other lessons that Deepak Chopra has to offer in the world of harmony and balance in one's body and mind.

This would be a great book to start with when starting to read works by Deepak Chopra for even though it is deep it also does a wonderful job of explain...more
Suman Srivastva
I want to grain the knowlaege
Stephanie Hicks
I've been curious about Ayurveda for a long time, and the ideas in this book were really interesting. Some of the things I'll (try to ) apply to my daily life, but other things seemed a little counterintuitive (favoring white rice instead of brown, and reducing lentils from my diet). Overall I thought it was interesting, and I'll definitely reference it from time to time.
Heather
I always love Chopra, and I enjoyed answering the questions to determine my dosha type (such a pitta!) and I really like the technique provided for healing visualization.

The sections on the book regarding food/diet were too overwhelming for me to consider trying, but in general, it's a good book to get you thinking about your health and the role you can play in it.
Helen Roditis
Perfect Health will help reader assess their ayuverda dosha (based on ancient wisdom and earth elements). Balancing your doshas (ideal) can be accomplished by adjusting your diet. Based on the results, I have been making adjustments and finding my doshas balancing more and more each year. An interesting and different perspective to include in your life.
Julie
Let me start off by saying that I actually believe the teachings of Deepak Chopra, Aruyveda, yoga and all that good stuff. I try to integrate these learning into my life. However, I just could not read this book, and was reminded why I do not like self-help books. Too repetitive. Lacks a compelling story. Too wishy-washy. I guess I will stick to fiction.
Jana
I haven't read this book cover to cover, but one really doesn't need to. (I don't think.) It's given me some interesting insight into my body type according to Ayurvedic medicine and I am looking forward to visiting it again to find out more. I like the Ayurvedic philosophy of listening to one's body and honoring our body's individuality.
Louisa
This book presented an interesting case for living an ayurvedic lifestyle that is similar to homeopathy and holistic health. Rather than adopting the diet and routine, I think it is more helpful/realistic to think about how integrating various concepts into your own daily schedule and above all, to become more in tune with your bodies needs.
Tiffany
Sep 25, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leah, nicarter
Ayurveda...5,000 year old east Indian medical system...I wish western doctors learned about this system during medical school..i'm sure we wouldn't have the problems and diseases we have in the US..preventative and healing. there are endless possibilties with ayurveda..i'm just scratching the surface with my understanding of it.
Trina
Well written. Clear in it's explanation of why and how to improve your life/health. While my western medical background was skeptical on some levels, this is a great addition on my journey to study eastern medicine and how it can be integrated and helpful in our western society. There is great benefit for many to be found here.
Amy
Chopra has a beautiful book here that explains the healing art of Ayurvedic medicine. His explanations are easy to follow and understand and the tips peppered throughout the book are invaluable. This is a great book to explore the mind-body-spirit connection as it relates to health.
Mary
I loved this book. Definitely the best book on Ayurveda so far - he makes the concepts really understandable and gives you ways to integrate them into your life. Even if you are not interested in following Ayurveda, the info is beneficial for everyone from a general health standpoint.
Cera
What can I say, Deepak Chopra is my fav! I have had this book for a couple, I haven't completely read this book, I just skip to certain chapters that interest me and skim certain parts. His outlook on health, body and spirituality is so different yet intriguing.
Monica McCarthy
Feb 03, 2008 Monica McCarthy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in ayurveda and holistic health
A great introduction to Ayurveda and easy to read. I found this helpful before going on a weekend Ayurvda retreat at the Laughing Lotus center in NYC. I've also gone to Chopra's Dream Center in the city and taken meditation and yoga...very relaxing!
Andrea
mind blowing! a must read for anyone interested in the path to whole living. the book has diagrams for yoga positions/sequences, tests to determine your dosha(s), and a wealth of knowledge on ancient ayurvedic medicine. perfect health, at last!
  • Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing
  • Trust Your Vibes: Secret Tools for Six-Sensory Living
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • Ayurveda and the Mind
  • Spontaneous Healing
  • The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships
  • Healing Words
  • The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen
  • Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More
  • A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever
  • Healing and the Mind
  • Personal Power through Awareness: A Guidebook for Sensitive People
  • Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements
  • Mudras: Yogas in Your Hands
  • Molecules of Emotion: The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine
  • Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great
  • Heal Your Body/New Cover: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both...more
More about Deepak Chopra...
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine

“Yet, at the quantum level, NO part of the body lives apart from the rest. There are no wires holding together the molecules of your arteries, just as there are no visible connections binding together the stars in a galaxy. Yet arteries and galaxies are both securely held together, in a seamless, perfect design. The invisible bonds that you cannot examine under a microscope are quantum in nature; without this "hidden physiology," your visible physiology could not exist. It would never have been more than a random collection of molecules.” 0 likes