Start by marking “Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment” as Want to Read:
Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment

Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment (Marvel Graphic Novel #49)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange enter Mephisto's realm in an all-out effort to free the soul of Doctor Doom's mother! But what price must be paid before Mephisto will release it? And will Doctor Doom make the sacrifice?
Paperback, Graphic Novel, 80 pages
Published November 7th 1989 by Marvel Entertainment Group (first published January 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom

Dave
I always like it when a hero is teamed up with a villain for a mutual cause and this early Marvel graphic novel delivered in spades.
The story essentially teams Dr. Strange with Dr. Doom in a fight against the hordes of hades and their dreaded "king" Mephisto.
Roger Stern is on top of his game mixing in the origin of Doom along with a glimpse of Strange's origin to boot. Stern is on top of his game again giving voice to Doom and making Doom even more three dimensional as both a villain and in...more
Eric
May 24, 2010 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Christopher Rush
Stern delivers an impressively compact story, appealing to comic fans in general, not just Doctors Doom or Strange fans. At once both origin story refreshers and character explorations, Triumph and Torment ponders ultimate questions of morality, liberty, and purpose - and sometimes the eponymous values (triumph and torment) are not as dissimilar as we would wish them to be. In one sense, fans of Doctor Doom might not like it, since we see a side of him we virtually never see elsewhere - but it's...more
La Espada en la Tinta
La novela gráfica comenzó a ser un producto habitual en los escaparates de las tiendas de cómic a finales de los años setenta, ya que independientemente de las largas series periódicas en formato grapa, los lectores exigían “algo más”, una obra más concreta, más concisa, que permitiese echar mano de una lectura que pudiera leerse de manera más independiente, y que al mismo tiempo dejase a sus creadores ser los responsables de su propio producto. En estos días parece lo más normal del mundo, pero...more
Grey

So Marvel's Good Doctor and Bad Doctor once collaborated and went to Hell...

That's a short blurb for one of the most interesting Dr Doom stories I have ever read, probably on same the level as the one about Doom delivering Richard's baby girl... (Suck on THAT, Mister Fantastic!)

This is the "authentic" Doom. And yes, I do consider the recent "modern" direction that Mark Waid (?) took which illustrated Doom as a mere snivelling, jealous little man to be a gross waste of character material.

So, auth...more
Alekz
I had always been interested in Doctor Strange's character but never actually read anything that focuses on him, only appearances on other stories. I did a little research and found out this was a good start, and it certainly did not disappoint. I liked everything about this, the story, the illustrations, the theme, Doctor Doom is awesome as well! Highly recommended!
New Frontiersnerd
Simbólico, arquetípico e paradoxal

Doutor Estranho & Doutor Destino: Triunfo e Tormento, a graphic novel escrita por Roger Stern, desenhada por Mike Mignola e colorida e arte-finalizada por Mark Badger, originalmente publicada em 1989 e que agora a Panini resolveu desencavar, é um gibi de CREDIBILIDADE ARQUETÍPICA.

Acompanhe comigo: a história de Triunfo e Tormento é um TEAM-UP entre o Dr. Destino e o Dr. Estranho que, por culpa de uma CARAMBOLA DO DESTINO se tornam parceiros no resgate da mãe...more
Rachel Swords
There are some critics who perpetually sneer at the idea of comics having literary qualities. This story proves them wrong. It starts out simple enough, with both Doctors competing in a sorcerer's contest, until one wins and is forced to aid the other as part of his prize. What follows has similarities to the Faust legend (of sorts), and ultimately leads to a tragic ending. For those who aren't entirely familiar with Doctor Doom's backstory, we are treated to a third person perspective of such,...more
Robert
Curio piece, really. A half length graphic starring the titular Docs, an old solo story for each of them, finished off with a random pair of Namor stories??
STRANGE r things have been collected I guess, but even if I DOO My best I can't come up with any examples.
Jdetrick
To of my favorite characters together, and in an epic story to boot? That makes for a great comic. It's great seeing Mike Mignola doing art, but I have to admit that his art isn't quite my cup of tea. It's great, just not for me. But everything else is top notch!
Miro Lakattos
Muito bom, dois personagens fantásticos em um enredo surpreendente, contando uma parte da história do Dr. Destino que pra mim era desconhecida
Ondra Král
Dal bych i pět, ale ta Mignolova kresba je hnusná. Jinak přes docela těžkopádný začátek skvělý příběh s výbornou atmosférou i závěrem. Ňam
Devero
Una delle prime opere di Mike Mignola, e per quel che mi riguarda, una delle migliori. Certo la sceneggiatura del prolifico e sempre bravo Roger Stern aiuta parecchio. La storia è, tutto sommato, lineare. Gli stregoni e maghi di tutto il mondo vengono convocati in un antichissimo tempio in Indonesia dove dovranno affrontare una prova. Il vincitore diventerà lo Stregone Supremo della Terra. Vincerà Dr. Strange, e dovrà scontrarsi con l'obbligo che questo comporta: soddisfare un desiderio dell'uni...more
Chris Lemmerman
I was really looking forward to reading this, but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd have liked. Doctor Strange is mostly sidelined in favour of stroking Doom's ego, and that's the last thing he needs. This does explore his character very well though, so I guess it's worth it for that, but it is a very lopsided team-up story. The book gets infinitely better in the later half once the pair descend into Hell, where Mike Mignola's art really comes into play - it's not that impressive in...more
Janika Puolitaival
Book which made Doctor Doom interesting for me, instead of being opposing clown for Fantastic Four
Joe Young
Roger Stern & Bill Mantlo - writers
Mike Mignola & Kevin Nowlan - illustrators

First there is a mystical contest among the best sorcerers in the world to determine who shall have the title of Sorcerer Supreme! The Dr. Strange agrees to help Dr. Doom on his yearly quest to save his mother's soul from Hell! But Dr. Doom is ever untrustworthy, and certainly has some treachery planned.

Overall solid story with interesting art about two Doctor's adventures in hell. Also contains a couple older s...more
David Williams
This is what that daytime show "The Doctors" should be about. Also, I could not stop thinking of that "draw Doom like one of your french girls" panel from Superior foes #6, which hurt the tone a little (through no fault of this book's, mind you). Mignola's characteristic bowed-legs ending in tiny feet are on grand display here, and I may have cried a bit when Doom finally gets to see his mother again. A great story and a fun little ride.
Also, I would like a Latvarian Express card; where can I...more
Theredknite
Loved it. Such a fantastic Read. It's an essential for those wanting to know both Doctor Strange and the complexity of Doctor Doom.
Myke
Some great artwork by Mignola. The story focuses on Doom and Strange journeying to hell in order to reclaim the soul of Doom's mother.

This recent addition have two extra issues, one featuring Doom attempting to get his mother back for the first time and failing and another issue from Stern's Dr Strange run.

It also has two Namor issues illustrated by Mignola which i can't say i was too interested in. Overall the main story was probably the best in this collection.
John
Mike Mignola did a lot of great art for this collection! His wild drawings of the realm of Mephisto were exciting, but I liked even more the two Namor tales and his images of the deep sea. Roger Stern's writing was good too; very thoughtful and with economy of word. The whole package recalls to me many elements of Mignola's next projects: Hellboy and B.P.R.D..
Zee Bush
Mannn I wish doom won more often. This is his only real victory. He tricks the devil Mephistopheles at his own game pretends to be the villain the world has cursed him as but comes out as the hero and genius he really is and finally saves his mother from hell !
Fraser Sherman
An outstanding job as Doctor Doom recruits Dr. Strange to free Doom's mother's soul from damnation. The backup stories are weak, but the lead story makes this well worth catching.
PJ Ebbrell
Mainly for the first story, of a Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom team up.
Angela
WIZARD BATTLE.
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2
  • Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection, Book 1
  • The Avengers: The Kree-Skrull War
  • Secret Wars
Roger Stern is an American comic book author and novelist.
More about Roger Stern...
The Death and Life of Superman Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Book 4 - Juggernaut Justice League of America Superman: The Never-Ending Battle Avengers: Under Siege X-Men: Phoenix Rising