Start by marking “Octagon Magic (The Magic Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Octagon Magic (The Magic Series, #2)

Octagon Magic (The Magic Books #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  310 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The secret of Octagon House

When her grandmother gets sick, eleven-year-old Lorrie Mallard is sent to live with her aunt in the U.S. Things were different back home in Canada, and Lorrie is homesick—especially when boys like Jimmy Purvis and Stan Wormiski tease her.

One day, Lorrie finds herself at the door of Octagon House, where she is welcomed by the elderly Miss Asheme

Published December 1st 2005 by Starscape (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Octagon Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octagon Magic

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyRed Square by Martin Cruz SmithThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe
Shape Up!
51st out of 152 books — 22 voters
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le GuinThe Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Fantasy of the 60s
32nd out of 50 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Ms. Yingling
May 18, 2015 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Came across this in the bunch of books from Half Price books that were donated for my students' summer reading.

Lorrie comes to the US from Canada to live with her aunt when her grandmother becomes ill. Her aunt is a busy career woman, so leaves her to her own devices or, worse, to the care of a neighbor with rambunctious children. She is given a hard time by some of the boys in her class (They taunt her with "Canuck, walks like a duck!" I can only imagine how much trouble they would be in at my
Rebecca
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Feb 25, 2014 Wilson E. Stevens Sr. rated it really liked it
This is a book about a 12 year old girl that has moved from Canada to live with her aunt. She is having problems because of the different customs, life style, and educational system. While having this difficulty, she discovers the Octagon house, and the magic it has within. It makes lasting changes in her life, as well as helping her to adapt to her new home and living conditions. It is a good read, and a little sorrowful. Made me teary eyed several times at the end.
Cinnamingirl
This book was a little less... boring, than the first book in the series. I'm not sure why it's a series, but I noticed that Norton has a few series like that, where the stories are grouped based more on common themes than on any continuous story-line.

I think what intrigued me about this book was that it was less of an in-your-face 'children have a magical adventure and learn stuff' story, and more of a subtle piece about the changes that maturing over time can bring, instead of the changes that
Tena
Jul 17, 2016 Tena rated it it was amazing
I just read this today... I hadn't read it since Fifth grade... strange how memory rewrites things... I always remembered it as more about time travel and less of a social commentary... There is more to this book for adults then I recalled. Excellent book!
Sheryl Tribble
Feb 02, 2016 Sheryl Tribble rated it liked it
Liked this one better than the other Norton's I've read lately. The changes and growth of the main character were much more believable, and the plot less predictable.
Maxine
Mar 11, 2014 Maxine added it
stupid!!! the story was wonderful. the endingcwas confusing and in my opinion did not explain anything whatsoever. because of this I will not pick up another of this authors books.
Valerie
Many people seem to think that Norton created a 'series' of 'Magic' books. There's little evidence of it--little or no continuity, for one thing.

This book could be considered an expansion of the short story of 'Miss Ruthven' (sp?). Similar themes and ideas, anyway, though with more (and more varied) stories.

Norton's stories are often stories of loners, but, oddly, her stories clad in 'modern' dress seem to be remarkably pushy about insisting that people socialize and conform. Why SHOULDN'T the p
Amanda
Apr 21, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Lorrie, a Canadian, is finding it hard to settle in the US at her aunt's home. Meeting Hallie and Miss Charlotta at the Octagon House, the house the other kids call the Witch House, is wonderful. Things she learns about the past of the house help her in the present. In the end, the house also gives her a future to look forward to.
Lisa the Librarian
May 01, 2010 Lisa the Librarian rated it liked it
I owned this book in junior high. I liked it then and still like it.

Well written and intriguing. The story has some suspense, some mystery, some magic and some mystery. Plus a bit of history. It all comes together in this well crafted tale of a lonely girl named Lorrie.

Heather
Mar 05, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasysf, kids
I loved this book! I read it in high school when a friend lent it to me. Amazon says it's for ages 10 and up. The story was truly magical and just sucked me in. I'd love to get my hands on a copy and read it again.
Julia
Dec 13, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
This was a favorite book from childhood I decided to read again and I am glad I did. It is a wonderful story of a lonely girl who discovers a secret world at her neighbor's home.
L.
Jun 25, 2009 L. rated it did not like it
This book was, to quote Shakespeare, "duller than a great thaw." I kept waiting for something exciting to happen, but sadly ran out of book before the anticipated event.
Shazza Maddog
Dec 14, 2013 Shazza Maddog rated it really liked it
My favorite of the 'Magic' series, Octagon Magic explores time travel through the magics of an antique doll house which is based off of the Octagon House.
J.E.S. Hays
J.E.S. Hays rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Diana Blick
Diana Blick rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Fina
Fina rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Shirley Selby
Shirley Selby rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Dawn Allbee
Dawn Allbee marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Petr
Petr rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
BookeWyrm
BookeWyrm marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Timothy Howell
Timothy Howell marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Glen
Glen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Scarlet Enyard
Scarlet Enyard rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • The Ghosts
  • The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2)
  • Can I Get There by Candlelight?
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • Time at the Top
  • Through the Hidden Door
  • Conan the Warlord
  • Tatsinda
  • Bushwhacked Bride
  • The Last Rainbow (Firelord, #3)
  • Doctor Who: Matrix
  • The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Asylum
  • Cat in the Mirror
  • Doctor Who: Mad Dogs and Englishmen
  • The Adventures of King Midas
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

The Magic Books (6 books)
  • Steel Magic (The Magic Series, #1)
  • Fur Magic (The Magic Series, #3)
  • Dragon Magic (The Magic Series, #4)
  • Lavender-Green Magic (The Magic Series, #5)
  • Red Hart Magic (The Magic Series, #6)

“You know, one used to give presents on New Year's Day. Christmas was for churchgoing and family gatherings. On New Year's one's friends came visiting and then presents were exchanged.” 0 likes
“One of these was a cage of fine golden wire, within it a bird fashioned of tiny shells. And there were more baskets, made of cloves strung on wire with a glass bead inset on every wire crossing.” 0 likes