Start by marking “Octagon Magic (The Magic Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Octagon Magic (The Magic Series, #2)

Octagon Magic (The Magic Books #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The secret of Octagon House

When her grandmother gets sick, eleven-year-old Lorrie Mallard is sent to live with her aunt in the U.S. Things were different back home in Canada, and Lorrie is homesick—especially when boys like Jimmy Purvis and Stan Wormiski tease her.

One day, Lorrie finds herself at the door of Octagon House, where she is welcomed by the elderly Miss Asheme

Published December 1st 2005 by Starscape (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Octagon Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octagon Magic

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeRed Square by Martin Cruz Smith
Shape Up!
49th out of 117 books — 22 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevinePrincess Academy by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleThe Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson LevineThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Pre Teen Female Fantasy Novels
483rd out of 524 books — 930 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
This is a book about a 12 year old girl that has moved from Canada to live with her aunt. She is having problems because of the different customs, life style, and educational system. While having this difficulty, she discovers the Octagon house, and the magic it has within. It makes lasting changes in her life, as well as helping her to adapt to her new home and living conditions. It is a good read, and a little sorrowful. Made me teary eyed several times at the end.
Cinnamingirl
This book was a little less... boring, than the first book in the series. I'm not sure why it's a series, but I noticed that Norton has a few series like that, where the stories are grouped based more on common themes than on any continuous story-line.

I think what intrigued me about this book was that it was less of an in-your-face 'children have a magical adventure and learn stuff' story, and more of a subtle piece about the changes that maturing over time can bring, instead of the changes that
Maxine
Mar 11, 2014 Maxine added it
stupid!!! the story was wonderful. the endingcwas confusing and in my opinion did not explain anything whatsoever. because of this I will not pick up another of this authors books.
Valerie
Many people seem to think that Norton created a 'series' of 'Magic' books. There's little evidence of it--little or no continuity, for one thing.

This book could be considered an expansion of the short story of 'Miss Ruthven' (sp?). Similar themes and ideas, anyway, though with more (and more varied) stories.

Norton's stories are often stories of loners, but, oddly, her stories clad in 'modern' dress seem to be remarkably pushy about insisting that people socialize and conform. Why SHOULDN'T the p
Amanda
Lorrie, a Canadian, is finding it hard to settle in the US at her aunt's home. Meeting Hallie and Miss Charlotta at the Octagon House, the house the other kids call the Witch House, is wonderful. Things she learns about the past of the house help her in the present. In the end, the house also gives her a future to look forward to.
Lisa the Librarian
I owned this book in junior high. I liked it then and still like it.

Well written and intriguing. The story has some suspense, some mystery, some magic and some mystery. Plus a bit of history. It all comes together in this well crafted tale of a lonely girl named Lorrie.

Heather
I loved this book! I read it in high school when a friend lent it to me. Amazon says it's for ages 10 and up. The story was truly magical and just sucked me in. I'd love to get my hands on a copy and read it again.
Julia
This was a favorite book from childhood I decided to read again and I am glad I did. It is a wonderful story of a lonely girl who discovers a secret world at her neighbor's home.
L.
This book was, to quote Shakespeare, "duller than a great thaw." I kept waiting for something exciting to happen, but sadly ran out of book before the anticipated event.
Shazza Maddog
My favorite of the 'Magic' series, Octagon Magic explores time travel through the magics of an antique doll house which is based off of the Octagon House.
Sean Murphy
Sean Murphy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
D.A
D.A added it
Apr 18, 2015
Kim Myers
Kim Myers marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Jim B
Jim B marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Teji
Teji marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Gilly
Gilly marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Anna Daugherty
Anna Daugherty marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Ellice
Ellice added it
Mar 08, 2015
  • The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2)
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • Time at the Top
  • The Ghosts
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • Can I Get There by Candlelight?
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • In Praise of Imperfection: My Life and Work
  • The Wolf Wilder
  • Doctor Who: Trading Futures
  • The Disappearance of Emily H.
  • Cat in the Mirror
  • Tatsinda
  • Bushwhacked Bride (Wink & A Kiss #2)
  • The Lady of Han-Gilen (Avaryan Rising, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sir Balin the Ill-Fated (Knights' Tales, #4)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

The Magic Books (6 books)
  • Steel Magic (The Magic Series, #1)
  • Fur Magic (The Magic Series, #3)
  • Dragon Magic (The Magic Series, #4)
  • Lavender-Green Magic (The Magic Series, #5)
  • Red Hart Magic (The Magic Series, #6)
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)

“You know, one used to give presents on New Year's Day. Christmas was for churchgoing and family gatherings. On New Year's one's friends came visiting and then presents were exchanged.” 0 likes
“One of these was a cage of fine golden wire, within it a bird fashioned of tiny shells. And there were more baskets, made of cloves strung on wire with a glass bead inset on every wire crossing.” 0 likes