Octagon Magic (The Magic Series, #2)

Octagon Magic (The Magic Books #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The secret of Octagon House

When her grandmother gets sick, eleven-year-old Lorrie Mallard is sent to live with her aunt in the U.S. Things were different back home in Canada, and Lorrie is homesick—especially when boys like Jimmy Purvis and Stan Wormiski tease her.

One day, Lorrie finds herself at the door of Octagon House, where she is welcomed by the elderly Miss Asheme

Published December 1st 2005 by Starscape (first published 1967)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienSphere by Michael CrichtonThe Caucasian Chalk Circle by Bertolt Brecht
Shape Up!
49th out of 118 books — 21 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevinePrincess Academy by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleThe Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson LevineThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Pre Teen Female Fantasy Novels
429th out of 467 books — 871 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
This is a book about a 12 year old girl that has moved from Canada to live with her aunt. She is having problems because of the different customs, life style, and educational system. While having this difficulty, she discovers the Octagon house, and the magic it has within. It makes lasting changes in her life, as well as helping her to adapt to her new home and living conditions. It is a good read, and a little sorrowful. Made me teary eyed several times at the end.
Cinnamingirl
This book was a little less... boring, than the first book in the series. I'm not sure why it's a series, but I noticed that Norton has a few series like that, where the stories are grouped based more on common themes than on any continuous story-line.

I think what intrigued me about this book was that it was less of an in-your-face 'children have a magical adventure and learn stuff' story, and more of a subtle piece about the changes that maturing over time can bring, instead of the changes that...more
Maxine
Mar 11, 2014 Maxine added it
stupid!!! the story was wonderful. the endingcwas confusing and in my opinion did not explain anything whatsoever. because of this I will not pick up another of this authors books.
Valerie
Many people seem to think that Norton created a 'series' of 'Magic' books. There's little evidence of it--little or no continuity, for one thing.

This book could be considered an expansion of the short story of 'Miss Ruthven' (sp?). Similar themes and ideas, anyway, though with more (and more varied) stories.

Norton's stories are often stories of loners, but, oddly, her stories clad in 'modern' dress seem to be remarkably pushy about insisting that people socialize and conform. Why SHOULDN'T the p...more
Lisa the Librarian
I owned this book in junior high. I liked it then and still like it.

Well written and intriguing. The story has some suspense, some mystery, some magic and some mystery. Plus a bit of history. It all comes together in this well crafted tale of a lonely girl named Lorrie.

Heather
I loved this book! I read it in high school when a friend lent it to me. Amazon says it's for ages 10 and up. The story was truly magical and just sucked me in. I'd love to get my hands on a copy and read it again.
Julia
This was a favorite book from childhood I decided to read again and I am glad I did. It is a wonderful story of a lonely girl who discovers a secret world at her neighbor's home.
L.
This book was, to quote Shakespeare, "duller than a great thaw." I kept waiting for something exciting to happen, but sadly ran out of book before the anticipated event.
Shazza Maddog
My favorite of the 'Magic' series, Octagon Magic explores time travel through the magics of an antique doll house which is based off of the Octagon House.
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Adam Kokkonen
Adam Kokkonen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kidaraine
Kidaraine marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Maral
Maral marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Mawgojzeta
Mawgojzeta marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Epilogue1212
Epilogue1212 marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Sneezep
Sneezep marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Wendy Darling
Wendy Darling marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Douglas Larson
Douglas Larson marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • The Ghosts
  • Time at the Top
  • The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2)
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • Can I Get There by Candlelight?
  • The Pig Scrolls by Gryllus the Pig
  • Canary in the Coal Mine
  • The Unknowns: A Mystery
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Regarding the Sink: Where, Oh Where, Did Waters Go?
  • Two Crafty Criminals!: and how they were Captured by the Daring Detectives of the New Cut Gang
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • A Girl Called Problem
  • Doctor Who: Trading Futures
  • Explorer 2: The Lost Islands
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)