Start by marking “Steel Magic (The Magic Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Steel Magic (The Magic Series, #1)

Steel Magic (The Magic Books #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Avalon's Last Stand
In woods near Hudson Valley, Sara, Greg, and Eric Lowry are magically transported to Avalon. Huon, Warden of the West warns Avalon stands between Dark and man; if Avalon falls, so does Earth. Darkness stole the three talismans that protect Avalon - King Arthur's sword Excalibur; Merlin's ring; and Huon's horn. The children quest for the tokens of power.
Published June 13th 2005 by Starscape (first published August 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Steel Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steel Magic

The Sword in the Stone by T.H. WhiteThe Grey King by Susan CooperThe Squire's Tale by Gerald MorrisThe Lost Years by T.A. BarronMerlin's Dragon by T.A. Barron
Arthurian Fiction for Children
48th out of 92 books — 4 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevinePrincess Academy by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleThe Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson LevineThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Pre Teen Female Fantasy Novels
498th out of 539 books — 968 voters

More lists with this book...

I love Andre Norton - she was amazing for her prolificacy (is that the right word?) if nothing else. And I have a ton of her stuff, and some of it I really love. I hadn't read any of The Magic Books before, so I started one on a long train ride today.

Sadly, I wasn't impressed - I don't think this is one of her best works... it's a rather mediocre story about 3 kids who end up in Avalon and have to help retrieve 3 magical talismans: Merlin's ring, Huon's horn, and Excalibur. And... that's about
Oh piss off! What's with the fancy modern cover and "Steel" instead of "Gray"?!

Seriously. I read an original-edition paperback of this book, titled "Gray Magic", which was originally my mother's when she was a kid. I loved this book; it's honestly great for a bored seven year old stuck in her grandmother's house for two weeks in the summer. Wasn't sure what to do with the other 13 days, but this provided magic for one whole day.

And now it's all shiny and new and with a real-as-life cover. Pah!
Ok, I love kids books and always rate them as what they are - for kids. But this one was so simple it was almost insulting. Scratch that - it WAS insulting. There was no point, no "magic" to the magic, no character development, no real struggle. I love kid's fantasy - Lloyd Alexander, Edward Eager, Levine, etc - this, however, was.....well, you get the point.
Much too cutesy for an adult, but maybe the kidlets would find it exciting. I'd still rather start them with something better, like The Once and Future King.
This is the book that got me reading science fiction/fantasy.
None of these editions seems to be the one I have, which is a hardcover, is from World Press, is labeled 'copyright 1965', and contains the Robin Jacques illustrations. The cover illustration is wrong from the start. The 'horses of the wind' are clearly described as having batlike wings--those depicted have avian wings.

So let me get this straight. These talismans will be used to harm, whoever has them. The only difference is WHO they will harm. Seems like the logical thing to do is destroy them,
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
This is a good young adult or children's book. It contains limited magic, and problems each of the 3 children must overcome in order to succeed in their quest. The success of their quests changes them forever for the better, and sets an example for others to follow in their lives as we go about our day to day tasks. This is a simple and fast read, and held my interest at 70, though I read it the first time when I was around 22 or 23 years old.
Carlos JP Navia
I remember enjoying this book when I was much younger, although all I can recall about it now is how I thought it both absurd and fantastic that these kids, the main characters, could have wound up in a setting where the silverware stood taller than they were.
I first read this and loved it when I was a kid. 91? I just reread it. It was still good, but not as great as I remembered.
I liked this better as a kid than I did rereading it as an adult. I suppose though, that that is only to be expected.
MB (What she read)
The version I remember reading had absolutely wonderful illustrations by Robin Jacques throughout.
I remember being unimpressed with this, but it wasn't bad.
Gray Magic by Norton (1972)
Donna marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Shelby Rollenhagen
Shelby Rollenhagen marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Abygail marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Supine marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Claire added it
Oct 06, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Carson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Rajeshri Hejmadi
Rajeshri Hejmadi marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
What's The Name o...: Siblings go to magic land, have magic silverware [s] 3 22 May 21, 2013 12:57PM
  • Jerlayne
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • Ludo and the Star Horse
  • The Wizard and the Warlord
  • The White Hart (Book of Isle, #1)
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Tathea (Tathea, #1)
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • The Treasure of Alpheus Winterborn (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #1)
  • Prince Ombra
  • Cat-A-Lyst
  • When the Tripods Came (The Tripods, #4)
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint (Danny Dunn, # 1)
  • This Time of Darkness
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

The Magic Books (6 books)
  • Octagon Magic (The Magic Series, #2)
  • Fur Magic (The Magic Series, #3)
  • Dragon Magic (The Magic Series, #4)
  • Lavender-Green Magic (The Magic Series, #5)
  • Red Hart Magic (The Magic Series, #6)
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)