Start by marking “Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #10)” as Want to Read:
Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #10)

Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle #10)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Dales of Andre Norton’s Witch World have endured wars, natural disasters, the predations of strange creatures, and treachery. None loves the land as well as Lorcan, orphaned at birth, who has sought his birthright for as long as he can remember. Exiled from his native land when it was invaded by Alizon, he spent his youth in Paltendale where he was treated as an outsid ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Silver May Tarnish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver May Tarnish

Bradley
A Witch World novel. Beautifully written and executed. Low key for a fantasy novel but well woven. Not too bad but it did not completely set my blood on fire. Where is that next Gotrek novel? =)
Kurt Springs
This review was originally published on Kurt's Frontier.

Synopsis:

The Dales have endured much in wars, natural disasters, magic, strange creatures, and more. This is the home of two souls lost in the ravages of war. When the Hounds of Alizon invaded the Dales of High Hallack, most were caught off guard. Lorcan was orphaned in a single savage strike and fought hard to rid the Dales of the savage invaders. He has endured heartbreak and treachery that cost him almost everything. Yet his father, a lo
Jacey
A stand-alone Witch World book set in the Dales. Though Andre Norton’s name is on this from the intro it’s obvious that it’s all Lyn McConchie’s work as she plays in Norton’s world and this suffers from that because although McConchie can take the world out for a spin and create characters and situations, she can’t add to canon. Nothing she writes can alter Norton’s timelines and history of the Witch World. It’s a ‘more of the same’ book, but at the end of it, nothing has changed in the world.

L
Sandy
I collect Andre Norton books. She's one of the first fantasy authors I loved as a child and I read all her books with anticipation of a good story, strong likable characters, and good triumphing over evil (altho evil is never fully defeated). Her characters are people you meet every day or wish you did and I was always hopeful that maybe one day I would discover my special "powers" the way some of her characters did.
This novel takes place on Witch World, one of Norton's most popular settings. T
Doris
Originally I said that this book was finished from Ms Norton's notes after her death. However, when I just reread it, I read the notes from McConchie, who said that the idea was hers, and Norton helped with it.

Either way, it is an excellent read, with a good story flow and a good ending. If I was to edit it perhaps I would have removed a few of the Postscripts at the end, but overall a plus-five read!

Good triumphs in the end, but warns that to remain safe good must be ever vigilant against evil!
Robin perez
very enjoyable, typical ending, but still very good. I like how it went back and forth between the two characters. the story wasn't just through one person's eyes, but through two people's eyes which made it interesting and a different take on what was happening.
Hannah
Was quite well written and fairly compelling right up to the last three to four chapters. Then the believability of the character responses broke down. Was disappointing, but most of the story had already happened so was an OK read overall.
Melissa Bee
I so love the two main characters.

04/15/2013 This is my 5th time reading this book. I do love the story and characters so very much.
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Shar
Shar marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Kristy Centeno
Kristy Centeno marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Mary Rowe
Mary Rowe marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Julia Young
Julia Young marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Abraham Reed
Abraham Reed marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Karen
Karen  marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Jerreb
Jerreb marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Gino
Gino marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
  • Nightside
  • The Chaos Gate (Bard's Tale, #4)
  • Bull God (Greek Myths, #4)
  • The Silver Lake (Warriors of Estavia, #1)
  • Master of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #3)
  • A Full House: An Austin Family Christmas (Austin Family, #9)
  • Shadows of Myth
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
  • Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)
  • The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances
  • Downfall (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #1)
  • Eyes Like Leaves
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Horn Crown (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #0)
  • Year of the Unicorn (Witch World Series 2, High Hallack Cycle, #1)
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)
  • Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #6)
  • Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)
  • Were Wrath
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)