Start by marking “Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #10)” as Want to Read:
Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #10)

Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle #10)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  213 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Dales of Andre Norton’s Witch World have endured wars, natural disasters, the predations of strange creatures, and treachery. None loves the land as well as Lorcan, orphaned at birth, who has sought his birthright for as long as he can remember. Exiled from his native land when it was invaded by Alizon, he spent his youth in Paltendale where he was treated as an outsid ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Silver May Tarnish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver May Tarnish

MrsJoseph

This isn't going to be the best review ever. I've read the book too many times. I love this book and this series too much.

This book is several books into the Witch World series but it is a stand alone. While it can be read without prior knowledge of the Witch World...Norton writes with the assumption that you know what she's talking about.

Some Background
Silver May Tarnish is set in the Dales of High Hallack, a country in the Witch World. It occurs after a
Bradley
Dec 18, 2010 Bradley rated it liked it
A Witch World novel. Beautifully written and executed. Low key for a fantasy novel but well woven. Not too bad but it did not completely set my blood on fire. Where is that next Gotrek novel? =)
Kurt Springs
Mar 25, 2015 Kurt Springs rated it it was amazing
This review was originally published on Kurt's Frontier.

Synopsis:

The Dales have endured much in wars, natural disasters, magic, strange creatures, and more. This is the home of two souls lost in the ravages of war. When the Hounds of Alizon invaded the Dales of High Hallack, most were caught off guard. Lorcan was orphaned in a single savage strike and fought hard to rid the Dales of the savage invaders. He has endured heartbreak and treachery that cost him almost everything. Yet his father, a lo
Jacey
Mar 10, 2012 Jacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, romance
A stand-alone Witch World book set in the Dales. Though Andre Norton’s name is on this from the intro it’s obvious that it’s all Lyn McConchie’s work as she plays in Norton’s world and this suffers from that because although McConchie can take the world out for a spin and create characters and situations, she can’t add to canon. Nothing she writes can alter Norton’s timelines and history of the Witch World. It’s a ‘more of the same’ book, but at the end of it, nothing has changed in the world.

L
Sandy
Jan 19, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy-magic
I collect Andre Norton books. She's one of the first fantasy authors I loved as a child and I read all her books with anticipation of a good story, strong likable characters, and good triumphing over evil (altho evil is never fully defeated). Her characters are people you meet every day or wish you did and I was always hopeful that maybe one day I would discover my special "powers" the way some of her characters did.
This novel takes place on Witch World, one of Norton's most popular settings. T
Doris
May 02, 2015 Doris rated it it was amazing
2nd read 5/2/2015
1st read 9/8/2009
Originally I said that this book was finished from Ms Norton's notes after her death. However, when I just reread it, I read the notes from McConchie, who said that the idea was hers, and Norton helped with it.

Either way, it is an excellent read, with a good story flow and a good ending. If I was to edit it perhaps I would have removed a few of the Postscripts at the end, but overall a plus-five read!

Good triumphs in the end, but warns that to remain safe good m
Robin perez
Jun 24, 2012 Robin perez rated it really liked it
very enjoyable, typical ending, but still very good. I like how it went back and forth between the two characters. the story wasn't just through one person's eyes, but through two people's eyes which made it interesting and a different take on what was happening.
Hannah
Sep 16, 2008 Hannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: fluff-reading
Was quite well written and fairly compelling right up to the last three to four chapters. Then the believability of the character responses broke down. Was disappointing, but most of the story had already happened so was an OK read overall.
Melissa Bee
Dec 16, 2015 Melissa Bee rated it it was amazing
I so love the two main characters.

James
James added it
Feb 08, 2016
Randall
Randall rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Melissa Melo
Melissa Melo rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Debra Wedding
Debra Wedding rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Margo Tucker
Margo Tucker rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 20, 2016
Libraryjoy
Libraryjoy rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Typo
Typo added it
Jan 15, 2016
Tera
Tera marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
R'Shara
R'Shara rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Thomas Jordan
Thomas Jordan marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
K. Carter
K. Carter rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Archie
Archie rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Lisa Henderson
Lisa Henderson marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Nanci Mcmurray
Nanci Mcmurray is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2016
Matt Velasco
Matt Velasco marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
  • Nightside
  • Brave Heart
  • Bull God (Greek Myths, #4)
  • Master of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #3)
  • Aggie Lichen: Pilp Collector (Aggie Lichen: Pilp Collector, #1)
  • Shadows of Myth
  • The Silver Lake (Warriors of Estavia, #1)
  • A Full House: An Austin Family Christmas (Austin Family, #9)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection
  • The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances
  • Downfall (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #1)
  • Eyes Like Leaves
  • Invasion
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Horn Crown (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #0)
  • Year of the Unicorn (Witch World Series 2, High Hallack Cycle, #1)
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)
  • Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #6)
  • Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)
  • Were Wrath
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)