Start by marking “Emma Goldman: American Individualist (Library of American Biography Series)” as Want to Read:
Emma Goldman: American Individualist (Library of American Biography Series)

Emma Goldman: American Individualist (Library of American Biography)

One of the most colorful, controversial and radical figures in American history, Emma Goldman challenged the legitimacy of religion, government, and private property in the United States. Imprisoned, tried, and later deported for her beliefs, the Goldman story is a window through which students will see a better picture of the history of American radicalism, the history o ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 226 pages
Published April 12th 2007 by Longman Publishing Group (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Emma Goldman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma Goldman

I was pleasantly surprised by this brief but informative biography on one of the most controversial characters in America at the turn of the 20th century. I hope other biographies in the Library of America Biography series are as concise and easy-to-read. I think most people my age (twenties) no little if anything about Emma Goldman, so it was really interesting to learn all about her, from her upbringing in czarist Russia, the labor crises of the late 1800s that spurred her interest in anarchy, ...more
Krista Danis
John Chalberg gives us a relatively concise biography, though he focuses more on Goldman's feminine dream of male companionship (or his construction of her desires) than on her ideology concerning anarchism. I am not disappointed in the book, it just compels me to seek out her autobiography and other, more in depth, examinations of her political position and situatedness.
Carolanne
I did it! I ROCK!
and the book sucked.
I'll update this again with my grade if I'm not extremely embarrassed!

******My book report is due on TUESDAY AND I STILL HAVEN'T HELD THIS BOOK IN MY HANDS YET!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!! I think I am in big trouble. BIG TROUBLE. monday is going to be an all nighter.
If its not in my mailbox on monday I am finished!

****I have to read this for school. If its like 1000 pages long, I'll be PISSED!
Shilpa
Apr 05, 2016 Shilpa rated it liked it
concise, readable, extremely informative. in some ways, too informative. i don't want to know this much about anyone's romantic history (and i can't help but think that this wouldn't have been the focus of the latter half of book had goldman been male; i understand that this is, to some extent, relevant to the development of her thought on what exactly it means to be a woman, but when goldman's love life crops up every three sentences, it's a bit much.)
Claire
Jun 21, 2012 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Brief. Useful as an introduction.

I find myself wondering if she really was so stuck on traditional feminine roles as Chalberg's selection of material suggests, or if stereotypical thinking directed his selections. Perhaps reading her own memoir will answer that.
Jessi
Feb 28, 2008 Jessi rated it liked it
I read it along with the students for the American history class I'm a TA for. It's a basic biography, but she's a fascinating subject!
Craig Bolton
Emma Goldman: American Individualist (Library of American Biography Series) (2nd Edition) by John C. Chalberg (2007)
Theresa Colin
Theresa Colin rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Lisa Miller
Lisa Miller rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2014
Theresa Colin
Theresa Colin rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Brandy Montilione
Brandy Montilione rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Stevefk
Stevefk rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Spencer Mclean
Spencer Mclean rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Emong
Emong rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Alia Aruta
Alia Aruta rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2008
Kiana
Kiana rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Sylvia Sierra
Sylvia Sierra rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Melanie Allen
Melanie Allen rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Piper Whitney
Piper Whitney rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2016
Yella Ojrak
Yella Ojrak rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2011
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2012
kayleff
kayleff rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2011
Kaitlyn Hutchings
Kaitlyn Hutchings rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
George Hessler
George Hessler rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Brad Collins
Brad Collins rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014

Library of American Biography (1 - 10 of 64 books)
  • Benjamin Franklin and a Rising People (The Library of American Biography)
  • U.S. Grant and the American Military Tradition
  • William H. Welch and the Rise of Modern Medicine
  • Elihu Root and the Conservative Tradition
  • Elisha Kent Kane and the seafaring frontier
  • Samuel F. B. Morse and American Democratic Art
  • William Lloyd Garrison and the Humanitarian Reformers
  • Booker T. Washington And The Negro's Place In American Life
  • Daniel Webster and the Rise of National Conservatism (The Library of American Biography)
  • Eli Whitney and the Birth of American Technology (Library of American Biography Series)